Night Elves: an identity crisis

73 Worgen Druid
Hello everybody, todays thread is to stimulate discussion about the Night Elves and their loss of strangth with the advent of WoW.

First off we need to take a look at Night Elf society. As it is currently it is split between two groups, the preisthood and the druids. (Personifide by Tyrande and Malfurion respectivly) In warcraft 3 The Elunite socity was the main focus with the druids potrayed as equals but at the same time not the main charactoristic of the society as a whole.
With wow this has completly flip-floped with druids being the main focus instead of the Eluite portion. I Belive that this is directly related to the loss of ferocity and charactor the NightElves had in WC3. Further Conformed with the promonace of Malfurion compared to Tyrande as seen ingame.
Now This doesn't meen that Im Blaming the cenarion circle. I'm not, the focus Needs to shift back tword Elunite Society before any progess can be made, and the best way to do this is to deemphesize Druids and turn them back into the Auxillary forces they once were until The base is there. In which Tyrande is shown in full control of the government and the Sentenals are shown as the Dominant military in contrast to the druids. This is were Blizzard failed at the start of wow, and how they can fix it.
Edited by Axten on 4/30/2012 5:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
The reason the Priestesses took charge is because most of the Druids were slumbering in the Emerald Dream.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
One last ride before I'm gone.

It's not a flawed perception. The elunite culture is the dominant one and WoW has failed miserably in that regard. The priesthood took charge because they rule the night elves. Not the druids. Druids are, by and large, non factors for darnassian political powers. Mal being the exception.

The cenarion circle is small. Very small. And yes, focus does need to shift from druidism to elunite when dealing with night elves outside of the CC.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I don't really understand this logic. The Night Elves are still pretty hardcore. Or in the very least, I would never want to get on the bad side of any of the females.

Take for example Thisalee Crow in Mt.Hyjal. Let's just quote her, shall we?

Skylord Omnuron has been too gentle with the Wormwing harpies, allowing them to share a perch on this mountain. Just because they're creatures of the air. Well <class>, not all creatures of the air are created equal.

When the attacks on Hyjal began, the Wormwing went into a frenzy. They're up there now, assaulting a sacred shrine they once claimed to revere.

I'm not troubled. Now we have a reason to drive them from Hyjal, don't we?

<Thisalee nods, contentedly, her eyes sparkling.>

Feels great to be off the leash, doesn't it?

Shandris in Feralas is equally bad !@#, and she employs equally bad $%^ Worgen to help her solve problems.

The misconception that Night Elves are becoming wishy-washy comes from Tyrande's inconsistent characterization. She was utterly badass in WCIII, and she just hasn't been the same since Richard Knaak got a hold of her. Even her voice actor doesn't play her the same anymore.

Night Elves are still a very solid, strict society. The only issue I have with their current theme is that they've essentially replaced the Demon Hunter aspect of their culture with regular Mages, which is boring.
Reply Quote
73 Worgen Druid
One last ride before I'm gone.

It's not a flawed perception. The elunite culture is the dominant one and WoW has failed miserably in that regard. The priesthood took charge because they rule the night elves. Not the druids. Druids are, by and large, non factors for darnassian political powers. Mal being the exception.

The cenarion circle is small. Very small. And yes, focus does need to shift from druidism to elunite when dealing with night elves outside of the CC.

thank you for understanding what i was getting at. im gonna miss you ferlion
Reply Quote
94 Undead Warlock
Malfurion is rather immensely powerful, as are the druids that follow him.

I'm pretty sure now, at this point with everyone back out of the Emerald Dream, that the druids are the dominate power. You have Elves worshiping a non-present deity, and the druids with incredible connection to a seething nature of Azeroth.

I'd take the druids in a fight.

Also I'm fairly sure Malfurion outclasses Tyrande in both social rank and power. He certainly is more widely regarded amongst the mortal and immortal beings of Azeroth.

Also: There is a difference between Blizzard "failing" as you put, and deciding that in order to advance their world and lore, a social paradigm shift was needed. Things change over time, such is the world.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Wouldn't it be better if it was a balance of both Elune and Druids? I mean apparently the priesthood failed, how I have no idea.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
You have Elves worshiping a non-present deity, and the druids with incredible connection to a seething nature of Azeroth.

I'd take the druids in a fight.

Also I'm fairly sure Malfurion outclasses Tyrande in both social rank and power. He certainly is more widely regarded amongst the mortal and immortal beings of Azeroth.

Elune is present. And Tyrande is not only the higher social rank (forcing Malfurion to take up part leadership with her, when he didn't want it) and is probably stronger in raw power as well. Shandris knocked Cho'Gal down with her Priestess powers, and she isn't even half as powerful as Tyrande. Tyrande has also gone into the Emerald Nightmare unscathed. She has also consistently saved Malfurions !@#.

Tyrande at this point suffers from the problem of to many powers. She has shown healing, premonitions, archery, hand to hand combat, weapons combat, the ability to make copies of herself with elunes power, Moonfire, starfall, AND as per Stormrage, 10,000 years of other magical studies (though its never said on if its theory or practice)

Druids made and enforced laws. Governance is about rule and control. Law is enforcing control. Politics involves governance. The statement that "Druids are, by and large, non factors for darnassian political powers" was true when druids ruled, but only due to the fact that Darnassus did not yet exist. Druids were a ruling power of the Night Elven people, though, after the problems caused by the Sundering. I

Nope. The Druids never ruled. Malfurion himself had part leadership at one point. When the Night Elven government was first formed after The Sundering, there were four ruling parties. Tyrande and through her the Priesthood(it was the largest organization still in tact with military, schooling, and all of that), Malfurion, Jarod Shadowsong, and Sunstrider.

All but Tyrande abandoned their posts. And even then, it was Tyrande who had the muscle through the priesthood to see the rules and regulations followed.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Do we even know how 'take charge' the Priestesses of the Moon were in regard to Night Elf governance? the Night Elves seem to have a pretty decentralized chain of command, or had at least. For example, in spite of the Sentinels being the main fighting force of the Night Elves, a druid, Staghelm, and his son led them during the War of the Shifting Sands without a priestess of the moon to be seen, or mentioned at least.

Tyrande is indisputably the main leader of their people, but they've never been an all-out theocracy or anything like that. Prior to the Sundering, they had a pretty conventional nobility, and afterward their society was never really expanded on other than Tyrande being leader. We don't know what influence other priestesses had, or what role Elune has in their governance aside from advising Tyrande subtly every now and then.

The elunite culture has always been prominent, but I wouldn't say it's the be-all-end-all of the Night Elves. Frankly, I think pigeon-holing them as either Cenarians or Elunites does them a disservice. The more flexible a race is, the more opportunities you have for them. Even during the War of the Ancients, the Moon Guard's sorcery was a far larger deciding factor than the priestesses, and their first choices for leaders, Ravencrest and Jarod Shadowsong, were relatively normal warrior-types, and the bulk of the Night Elf forces were conventional troops as well.

Now that the whole 'immortal stoic guardians' thing has been removed from their race, I'd like to see a lot more variation begin to pop up in them again.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
Thisalee = Dream girl

04/30/2012 06:49 PMPosted by Drailen
Night Elves are still a very solid, strict society. The only issue I have with their current theme is that they've essentially replaced the Demon Hunter aspect of their culture with regular Mages, which is boring.

How would Demon Hunters work as opposed to Mages if they were focused on more? I've honestly had my own ideas pondered over but I do feel they'd cause a bit of fan rage because it would paint the Night Elves as less than stellar.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
With the war over, Tyrande and Malfurion reached an understanding. Their deep love for one another gave them solace throughout the long process of restoring order to the devastated night elf populace. Tyrande, now high priestess of Elune and Malfurion's mate, implemented sweeping changes throughout night elf society. She organized a new all-female army, the Sentinels, and decreed that it would be directed by the Sisterhood of Elune. Nobility and sorcery were now considered the relics of a decadent and shameful past.

Nevertheless, the Highborne refused to give up practicing arcane magic. After discussing the matter at length, Tyrande and Malfurion made the difficult decision to exile their defiant kin. In the wake of the Highborne's departure, the remaining night elves deliberately withdrew from the rest of the world. A veil of mist descended upon their entire continent, shrouding its presence from passing sailors.

Meanwhile, Cenarius went to dwell nearby in the Moonglade of Mount Hyjal. A number of night elf men joined Malfurion there and studied the druidic arts, many of them former members of the Moon Guard. Malfurion eventually established and led the Cenarion Circle, Azeroth's druidic organization. He and the rest of his small group spent much of their time walking the wilds of Azeroth, trying to heal the damage that the war had left behind, and meditating in the Emerald Dream.

http://www.wowpedia.org/The_Warcraft_Encyclopedia/Tyrande_Whisperwind

Shortly after the Great Sundering, Malfurion Stormrage sentenced his brother Illidan to imprisonment for having created a second Well of Eternity. In inflicting this punishment, Malfurion hoped to prevent Illidan from continuing his reckless pursuit of arcane power. By this point in time, however, Illidan was already an extraordinarily powerful sorcerer, and Malfurion dared not leave his captive twin to be guarded by only one or two jailors.

One of the senior Sisters of Elune, Maiev Shadowsong, had already shown her competence in guarding Illidan before he was brought to trial. Malfurion accordingly asked Maiev to gather additional volunteers from the Sisters of Elune. Maiev obeyed, and Malfurion called this new group the Watchers, for he charged them with ensuring that Illidan never escaped the barrow prison. Maiev, as the Watchers' leader, would answer to the head of night elf government, High Priestess Tyrande Whisperwind.

http://www.wowpedia.org/The_Warcraft_Encyclopedia/Watchers

By the time of the Great Sundering, military service for the night elves had become more a matter of bloodline than ability. Almost all high-ranking officers were nobles, and the night elves had lived in peace for so long that very few of those officers, however privileged and well educated, possessed even a basic knowledge of tactics. Joining the army, once a selfless choice to defend the night elf people, had been reduced to a status symbol.

The War of the Ancients made the army's deterioration all too clear. After the night elves and their allies had achieved victory, High Priestess Tyrande Whisperwind decreed sweeping changes throughout night elf society. As part of these changes, Tyrande disbanded the old army, most of which had no desire for further battle, and established the Sentinels.

The Sisterhood of Elune was one of the few major organizations to survive the war largely intact, and membership in its ranks had never been a matter of bloodline. Furthermore, members of the order had trained extensively in combat, tactics, and healing. Yet in spite of all their knowledge and experience, the priestesses had become somewhat distant from the rest of night elf society.

Tyrande believed that this distance was partly to blame for the cataclysmic war, and she resolved that her order would take up the duty of directing the Sentinels. Never again would the Sisters of Elune fail to guide the night elf people. To this day Shandris still reports to Tyrande, who is both the high priestess of Elune and sole ruler of night elf government.

http://www.wowpedia.org/The_Warcraft_Encyclopedia/Sentinels

With Malfurion Stormrage the leader of the druids and Tyrande Whisperwind not only the high priestess of Elune but the Monarch of the night elves

Stormrage page 441

Long before the eve of the ceremony, the two had already quickly settled any question as to their roles, or rather, Tyrande had. Malfurion knew Tyrande was the best leader his people could have and made no claims in that direction. However, she insisted that there could be no other choice but for the two to rule side-by-side, equal in all things where their race was concerned. She remained high priestess of the Temple of Elune and he the lead Archdruid, but now those two stations would have closer ties, which would only benefit the Night Elves in general.

Stormrage page 442.

Fandral Staghelm. Both of them had futilely hoped that Tyrande would formally reprimand Staghelm for his strange activities, but the high priestess had only reminded them that the Cenarion Circle operated outside of her authority

Seeds of Faith. Do remember, that as monarch of the Night Elves, that means that the Cenarion Circle is it's own government. As such, it can't really rule the Darnassian government.
Edited by Ferlion on 4/30/2012 11:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
These issues make me pine back to the days when the Night Elves were not apart of the Alliance in WC3. Makes me wish WoW had neutral races or even multiple factions divided up so we could have kept their societal integrity. The Night Elves are haughty and very prideful, spiritual race, I doubt they would just ally with anyone just for the sake of having an allegiance with them. Also the inclusion of other races being able to be Druids lessens the importance of the practice of Druidism in Night Elf society. Taurens, which later became Worgens and Trolls being able to become druids is one of the greatest abominations to the NE storyline since WoW's inception.

I know people have complained about this all before, but I kinda dislike the formulaic disposal of story for terms of gameplay balance. It just makes the game overall feel pointless, especially from an RPG perspective.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Nelves suffered from being too good in WC3, and then being made equal or for the most part lesser than orcs and humans respectively.

Nelves made up a third of the forces at hyjal the second time, 100% the first time, and about 1/8th in cata.

their social story was screwed up. they had the whole elune being number one and druids being the force to tip the scales, to druids are number one but also neutralish/mostly/some times/not really/clowns/sleepy still.

blizzard could not reasonably keep them as they were inteneded and originaly portrayed so they were cut down at the knees unfortunately. then blizzard just sort of beat them with a lead pipe for the past few years and dont seem to have a clear direction to go with.

the Nelves cant follow the alliance route of being purely and intentionaly reactive to the horde. they cant leave that story mode so long as they are subservient to the alliance though. they are stuck story wise between a rock and a hard place in several directions.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]