Anxiety While Raiding - How Do You Deal?

14 Tauren Hunter
Hello. To start off, I am trialing for a new guild, and I would LOVE to be a member of their raiding team. However, I often find myself being stressed before each raid night. I feel anxious and nervous, and if I end up making a mistake or finding out I didn't do the right amount of DPS, I start to panic. No amount to trying to calm down, or deep breathing, or anything else I can think of will help. And I'm being told that this anxiety is what would keep me from getting in. This isn't what I want... I want to succeed and make it here, but my mind seems to get the best of me.

Has anyone else experienced this? Surely I can't be the only one who gets anxious when I trial raid for a new guild. If you've experienced this, how do you cope?
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Priest
You really should just not raid if it leads to anxiety issues. I mean, there's stressful situations enough in real life. Why go seek one out in a video game?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
05/01/2012 12:26 PMPosted by Octorok
Has anyone else experienced this? Surely I can't be the only one who gets anxious when I trial raid for a new guild. If you've experienced this, how do you cope?

Hiya!
I totally know how you feel.
When I first applied to my Guild, I was supposed to go through a two week trial period.
I was really nervous because I had recently server transferred so I didn't know anyone in the Guild and had no one to talk to.
What I ended up doing was break the ice.

I made a few jokes here and there and spoke up in mumble.
I asked people in the raid group who were the same class as I was about how they did things.
I played some light music in the background aswell.

It really made a difference and I felt calm in comparison to the start of the raid.
It really helped my performance in each and every encounter and I actually managed to be upgraded into a raider a week early. ;)

Best of luck mate. <3
Edited by Novalas on 5/1/2012 12:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
If you've experienced this, how do you cope?

By remembering that it's a game, not a job. Make sure you know what you're doing but other than that, just have fun.

Failing that, alcohol.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
See a psychiatrist. That's not normal, and it's not healthy.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
05/01/2012 12:35 PMPosted by Southshore

That's really not true.
Feeling nervous while playing with players you aren't accustomed to is completely normal, I would think.

It's similar to being at a party and not knowing anyone there. Some people feel awkward in those situations.

And key to fixing that problem is to be social and to put yourself in a more comfortable situation.
As to where I stated above, you could listen to some light music and talk on vent/mumble. Chat a bit with other raiders about strats etc.
Edited by Novalas on 5/1/2012 12:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
if you mess up.. blame someone else.. if you cant..blame a rl event, like your dog...ye.. dogs are good.. they always work
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
If anything in game starts to stress me out in any way, I know it's time to step away. I get frustrated during raids but that's about it. If a video game is stressing you out that much, then I think it's time to step away.

And I agree with pretty much everything else that people said before me. It's just a game. There should be no extreme stress like you described, and it's not normal or healthy.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Alcohol.
Stress ball.
Regular breaks to walk.
Reply Quote
87 Human Priest
This thread is full of terrible advices, except for Novalas.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Well first off if you are comparing yourself to others thats not a good comparison because people have different sets of gear even if they are the same class. If you are compairing your performance to what different calculators and simulators are saying you should be doing and falling short then you are doing something wrong and should correct it. Getting a little anxious about it is normal but if its really bad then you might want to think about doing it in a less serious form.

Good raid leaders expect you to perform on par to your gear bad raid leaders just look at what your class has potential to do without taking your gear into account.
Edited by Reveries on 5/1/2012 12:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
I just don't raid.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
If you are having anxiety issues while raiding like others have said, remember it is a game. Something else that is important is to make sure the raid group you are in knows that too. If you are in a high pressure raid group then that will make it worse, if you are in a group that knows that this is a game and things happen, everyone has their own play style, etc you should be able to have a more enjoyable experience with raiding.
Reply Quote
77 Gnome Mage
Just do your best. If that isn't good enough then oh well.

You should play to have fun. Though i do understand where you are coming from.

I am laid back so i just don't care what others think of my play. I have always had the mindset if you don't like me, then kick me.

But i see others come in to our 25 man which is pretty competitive, and freak out during their trial period. If you freak out you obviously won't play your best.

End of the day remember it is just a game and you should have fun.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
As somebody who is now doing progression raiding while suffering from extreme social and generalized anxiety I can say exposure and finding a group who understands you have a mental health condition are the best two things you can go out and do.

The most important of the two is finding a group that understands that you have a problem; A guild that can be able to bring somebody else in if you have an anxiety attack and need to leave the computer. A more casual raiding guild is definitely an option in this case.

I found that whenever I started raiding I'd be absolutely mortified if I messed up and would get extremely freaked out after every wipe because I felt I'd be screamed at for it.
As time went on I found less and less of these groups until I finally settled into where I am now. We rage a bit at stupid wipes but it's not "bad".

Another strategy I have for any anxiety issues is I have a "distraction" near by to get my mind off things in case I feel something coming up. For me this is a Gameboy/DS and I recently got a 2nd screen for my PC so I have the entire internet to go deedle on while I calm down.
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Paladin
05/01/2012 12:35 PMPosted by Southshore

Even if you were an actual trained psychologist/psychiatrist I would hope you would know better then to diagnose people over the internet or condemn based on a paragraph.

OP - A lot of people feel nervous when joining a new group because we are essentially preforming in front of others. Just as someone may feel nervous singing a solo in front of a crowd, no matter how small, it's okay to feel nervous when showing how well you play to others.

I think part of the problem is that you are afraid you are going to mess up and not get in, leading you to mess up, which leads to more anxiety and the circle continues.

I've done trials before with guilds for a raid spot. The vast majority of raid teams are not looking for perfection. One of the qualities they are looking for is attitude. How you handle your mistakes and those made by others. The best thing is if you make a mistake own up to it and laugh it off. We've all done all sorts of stupid things at one time or another, being able to make a joke about it get others laughing is important. Your fellow teammates don't want more stress and I'm sure you don't want it either. Don't point out the faults of others and keep in mind that mistakes happen all the time - learn from them but don't let them slow you down.

As someone else suggested, listening to relaxing music may help. Drinking something like tea, if you drink tea, or another warm, non-caffeinated drink can also help put you into a more calm state. Talking to a friend right before for a pep talk or even having your pet close by to pet can all help sooth frazzled nerves.

While the best thing to do is to just let that anxiety go, that is easier said then done. Honestly I still get slightly nervous when I solo tank a random even though I've done them a lot. You aren't alone.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Anxiety is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I had what you were experiencing when I tried solo healing heroic ulduar (don't judge) last weekend.

I coped with it by alot of swearing into my mic which seemed to make people laugh for some reason.

I also explained to them at least once they needed to finish the boss RIGHT NOW or we are NOT GOING TO MAKE IT, we are going to DIE. For some reason they laughed at this too.

So for you, if you don't think they will laugh OP, swear just the same but just keep the mic off. I tend to do that alot too.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I had what you were experiencing when I tried solo healing heroic ulduar (don't judge) last weekend.

I coped with it by alot of swearing into my mic which seemed to make people laugh for some reason.

I also explained to them at least once they needed to finish the boss RIGHT NOW or we are NOT GOING TO MAKE IT, we are going to DIE. For some reason they laughed at this too.

So for you, if you don't think they will laugh OP, swear just the same but just keep the mic off. I tend to do that alot too.

I tend to get that way too. We 2 healed the Warmaster Blackhorn fight in DS a couple of weeks ago with me as one of the 2, i'd never done it before with only 2 and was so scared the entire time. It worked out fine in the end, but I was a bit snippy and foul mouthed on vent during. Thankfully my group just ignored me, one of the only times as I tend to lead our raids.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]