Cannot update Loader.

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I am trying to install WoW on a different computer and when the launcher first runs it is trying to update it and it just seems to hang and then go no where. Once since I have tried it took me that the connection timed up but otherwise it just goes no where. Not sure how to handle it, never had an install issue with the game before. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Agrahim,

It sounds like something is preventing the launcher. There are lots of things that can cause this.

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, please try right clicking on your game shortcut and select the Run as administrator option.

Disabling or temporarily uninstalling firewall and anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc) can permit the patch to complete successfully. Of course, do not remove security software if you can't reinstall it, and always restore disabled security after patching.

Proxy settings on your system can also block access. Make sure to disable proxy settings from the control panel:
    Pull up your Control Panel and select Internet Options.
    Click on the Connections tab.
    Click the button called "LAN Settings"
    Uncheck all of the options on that screen.
    Then try again.

Check your G-diffuser system!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, I got through the patcher but into the actual installing now and my speeds are insanely low. I am on a higher speed internet (Fibreop) and I generally get like 2-3 Mb/s but I am barely lucky to get 100kb/s right now.

I turned off my firewall but it seems to have no effect on the bad speed and I did go ahead and make sure that the Lan options were completely unchecked. Avira is turned off as well, not sure what else I could go look at that would be directly effecting this. Any ideas?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Agrahim,

From within the launcher, go up to the Downloader preferences in the Options menu and try toggling the Peer-to-peer option. See if that affects your downloading speed.

Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Seems to do nothing, after turning it off and on.. still seems to be in the same low download rate.

EDIT : I managed to fix it, Avira was running some odd protection in the backend that even when I disabled it, it would continue to work.. I had to go into my msconfig options to disable it but it is smooth sailing from here on out, I hope.
Edited by Agrahim on 5/1/2012 2:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I see. Thanks for the update, Agrahim.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]