Tanking easier than DPS?

Recently I rolled a paladin tank. He's in his 70's now, and has been pure Protection spec the whole time. It's been great fun, too.

Is it odd that I find it so much easier to tank than DPS, or is it because paladins pre-endgame are just that good?

For me, DPS feels like work, like you're competing with the other people for highest DPS/most damage, and if you're not one of the top ones, you're terrible at your class, etc.

But when I tank, it's like... show up, hold all the aggro, make sure nothing chases the squishy ones, and you're a hero.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Different people have different affinities. Some are good at raid awareness others not so much.

DPS is more about timing and not messing up a rotation. Tanking is more about raid awareness. If your good at timing things but suck at raid awareness then DPS is easy and tanking is hard.

Conversely, if your good at raid awareness tanking is easy.

So whether tanking is easy or hard depends on you. I find tanking to be super-easy but i know a friend who tried and tried to tank and just could not get it.

Yes there is some cross over but generally tanking and dps challenge different skill sets. So it really just depends on what your good at.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Different people have different affinities. Some are good at raid awareness others not so much.

DPS is more about timing and not messing up a rotation. Tanking is more about raid awareness. If your good at timing things but suck at raid awareness then DPS is easy and tanking is hard.

Conversely, if your good at raid awareness tanking is easy.

So whether tanking is easy or hard depends on you. I find tanking to be super-easy but i know a friend who tried and tried to tank and just could not get it.

Yes there is some cross over but generally tanking and dps challenge different skill sets. So it really just depends on what your good at.

There is an element of practice makes perfect however i gio playa dps toon i suck at it however i use to be good at it so if i played one more often then i would assume i would once again get good at it.
Reply Quote
For me:
Tanking is easier than melee DPSing with a jittery tank. Ranged DPSing is easier than tanking, and melee DPSing with a tank that doesn't move for no reason is a cakewalk.

Then again, I don't look at DPS meters except to see how I compare, and then I make note of relative gear levels. I don't expect my rogue that I run on alt night to be doing anything comparable to the rogue on our mains team.

The hardest part about DPSing is learning your rotation and then being able to execute it while not standing in crap you shouldn't, and remembering to stand in crap your should. Tanking is the same thing, but a good tank then positions so that the rest of the raid can do their thing. Of course, then there's the fact that a tank doesn't have to worry about getting and staying in melee range on most encounters, which is the only thing that makes melee DPS frustrating.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
It's late and I'm bitter, so I started rambling. Low level, being a tank is just as easy, if not easier, than being a DPS. Trying to do damage while not running oom as a shadow priest, for example, is a chore low level.

Levelling as a tank is, much to my chagrine, no indication of what it means to be a tank. Blizzard has consistently buffed tank damage, threat, and survivability, while severly nerfing the danger of mobs in dungeons. It's normal for a tank to pull 40-50% of the group's damage in a dungeon below level 80. On a paladin with BoA gear I've hit 65%.

This is intentional on their part. You can't get a dungeon going without a tank, and the vast majority of players don't want to be a tank if it's a challenge. So you can breeze through the low level dungeons as a tank and think you're learning to be a tank.

Then you hit the cataclysm dungeons and get your face smashed in.

That's when you start to learn what tanking is, and how much work it takes. You have to put effort into your gear, research, pull carefully, hold aggro. Etc.
Reply Quote
05/01/2012 10:33 PMPosted by Kangarooster
You're really listing the easiest, most basic parts of either role. Proper positioning is a must for all serious raiders; however, the best raiders will optimize cooldown usage and reliably execute a perfect rotation all the time.

Tank CDs are off the GCD, and their need is telegraphed and/or obviated in such a way that proper use is more of an idiot check than a measure of skill. DPS CDs are either a core part of the rotation, or again blatantly obvious when they should be used or saved.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Prot paladins are that easy/boring. Have fun at 85.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
At this point in Dragon Soul I would say tanking is often easier than DPS. However this depends a lot on fight, and on roles that each raider (let alone each "section/group") might have.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/01/2012 08:47 PMPosted by Zapwidget
and melee DPSing with a tank that doesn't move for no reason is a cakewalk.

Thats the way i tank, i HATE bouncy, run around everywhere tanks that wont hold still with no bad under them.

If something bad is happening, i back up a few feet and let melee go to town.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
It depends on the fight and also depends on the player. Melee DPS (eg. Warrior, Enhancement Shaman) toons are very easy to run with. Ranged DPS, especially squishy but high-DPS ones, like Mages, are more difficult.

Some pulls in Cataclysm dungeons are a little tricky so it'll be sightly more work for a tank. For example, the 1st pull in Vortex Pinnacle. I had trouble with it because the mobs are so spread out and had to seek advice on the forum on how best to handle it. As a DPS, it is easier for them since they don't have to worry about how to pull the mobs.

Later when you start to run LFR, there'll be a lot more mechanics for the tank to pay attention to, so those runs are more difficult (in relative terms) for tanks then DPS.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Every tank should start as a dps and every dps should take some time tanking. If you understand the other party members' objectives every dungeon should be a cakewalk.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
05/02/2012 11:55 AMPosted by Druimeister
Every tank should start as a dps and every dps should take some time tanking. If you understand the other party members' objectives every dungeon should be a cakewalk.

There is really nothing for a tank to learn by DPSing. The reverse however is true, DPS can learn something by tanking.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
Recently I rolled a paladin tank. He's in his 70's now, and has been pure Protection spec the whole time. It's been great fun, too.

Is it odd that I find it so much easier to tank than DPS, or is it because paladins pre-endgame are just that good?

For me, DPS feels like work, like you're competing with the other people for highest DPS/most damage, and if you're not one of the top ones, you're terrible at your class, etc.

But when I tank, it's like... show up, hold all the aggro, make sure nothing chases the squishy ones, and you're a hero.

Here's my opinion on that, which may explain why you feel tanking is easier:

Brainless tanking is impossible.
Brainless DPSing is easy.
DPSing like a tank is very hard.

I say this because throwing out damage, knowing your rotation, and staying out of the Kool-Aid is all very easy. That stuff is basically "know your class".

Learning to tank is another matter completely. You have to know the angles, distances, aggro circles, timing, the abilities of every class that you might be paired with in your party (especially healing classes), how to pace the dungeon, watching everyone's bars, knowing where everyone is, being vigilant to catch errant pulls, machine-gun interrupting, using stuns and snares wisely, sometimes kiting, sometimes standing still, sometimes spinning and twisting and bopping and jiving and adding numbers in your head and........the tank's job is enormously complex.

SO! Every once in a while you take a break and go back to a DPS alt. But you never stop thinking like a tank.

Now, you're expected to pump out numbers, but your internal expectations are more in line with the tank. You find yourself watching the entire field while also worrying about where the tank is moving the mobs to, cursing at your fellow DPS who often choose the brainless button-mashing route to easy wins.

That tank training never leaves you. You're aware of interrupts, stuns, movement, placement, timing, everyone's bars, who is using what ability, where the aggro lies, where to put your AOEs, areas of the field covered by "cleaves" and "cones", debuff status, DOTs, HOTs, and the whole nine yards.

In short, the DPS role is imminently more frustrating than tanking, when you have the mindset of a tank/quarterback, because you aren't actually THE tank/quarterback at that time. You're just another DPS, but you're aware, thinking, seeing, and feeling the frustration of being a second-in-command to an anarchic group of certified morons.
Edited by Cosimo on 5/2/2012 12:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
I do personally find tanking to be generally easier then dpsing now, but I would say when threat was still an issue tanking was probably harder. Then you were essentially trying to play your rotation perfectly to maximize threat, but also had to do all the other things tanks do
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
When I DPS, I always find myself explaining why 500% threat means that nobody is pulling agro, that the tank with 100% devaste damage is losing agro, and the guy with the glowly hands being killed with the + sign next to their name isn't our tank.

When I tank, the runs always go smoothly, the exception being the group I ran last night on this character that outhealed the healer consistently.

Being the tank always makes runs smoother.
Edited by Asanenine on 5/2/2012 2:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
05/01/2012 06:55 PMPosted by Magruon

When you look at it like that, yes, tanking is easier. And, for most of what you've done on you tank so far, this is entirely true. If you don't plan on raiding on your tank, this will still hold quite true. Dungeons at this point are easy enough/we outgear them enough that tanking can be quite easy, due to the ease of the rotation.

However, in a raid situation, tanking takes on a few more roles--leveraging your cd's as necessary to stay alive and conserve healer mana, and keeping track of your group's status for starters, not to mention the increased pressure.

So in the sense of "how hard is it to pull off the rotation", yes, tanking is much easier. This is by design. However, in more advanced situations, both have their own difficulties in different ways.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
In general, it is easier *once you learn what to do.* Generally, there is less movement, less switching, and less of a need to hit 100% dps potential. The first few run-throughs can be harder, but, after you remember the positioning and basics, it is easier.

That said, there is stress in that if you mess up you usually will be noticed or even wipe the raid. If a DPS messes up they'll usually just gimp their damage and maybe get themselves killed. It's far easier for the raid group to recover from a DPS fail, again generally speaking, than a tank mistake or death.

The DPS role has to keep up a high level of stress throughout the whole fight. The tanks tend to have several high stress moments followed by a little space to breathe. Live through the "oh ****" moments and you're golden, while the DPS are worrying about maximizing their rotations and such.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
good tanking and healing is easier than good dpsing...

the need for dps to be 100% never ever goes down.. whereas the tank just has to spread out cooldowns and hold threat... and if the healer kept people alive till the end he did his job..

dps is hella stressful when they do it seriously
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]