Heroic Zon 10 man

40 Blood Elf Priest
Hiya all, my guild made it to heroic zon but it seems we have some mechanic issues. We only had time for a few attempts (some of our guildies had only a limited time). Our raid make up last night was:

resto shamm
resto druid (me)
dk tank
2 dps warriors
rogue
warlock (later holy pally)
mage
hunter
kitty druid

I was with the ranged group whereas the resto shamm was with the melee group. When Disrupting Shadows came out, everytime I got it along with 2 other ranged.

We tried two strategies; healing thru it and having people with it run out of the group to be cleansed. Healing thru it didn't work too well, but running out did.

Because of the damage, after the first few pulls the lock in our group went on his holy pally which helped. Then we started wiping during the first black phase. Blah. We had to stop at this point.

My RL would prefer we stick with two heals during this fight as we have always done during all of DS. Is this possible with the damage? Any tips for the black phases? =/ It seems I'm having a hard time healing through the damage...once we get over that we can better focus on the fight mechanics (which still need work too). Thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
My group always three healed it. I wouldn't try 2 healing it especially because you guys should be spreading out to kill tentacles to ease up on the damage going out.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
FFS
If you have a log entry you can provide we might better be able to isolate the problems.

From the sound of it you need to 3 heal it unless your dps simply can't beat the enrage.

Black phase with 3 healers is easily managed BUT I am not sure 2 healers (at least until you've got the encounter on farm status) is manageable. Way too much ground to cover while dps is running around during black phase, there are 'sweet spots' you can situate yourself at in the center to be in healing range of most people but it's too risky.

Positioning of the healers during black phase to minimize the amount of time you need to spend prancing around trying to get in range of your designated heals AND quick dps on the adds is key to that phase.

Best guide there is on the subject; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHarmo4mf4k
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
This fight was two healed with no nerf, so with 20% it's a bit of a joke to two heal in my opinion. If your healers are stronger than your DPS that's probably the way to go. Three healing is definitely viable if you cannot two heal it, though.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Here is our log from our rather short attemptx for what Irisong originally posted. We didnt get a chance to do to many attempts as our DPS had to get going.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/f0qzmjkrwcix4qbo/dashboard/?s=4760&e=4845
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
It's definitely a three heal fight, and I personally don't think resto druids are the best choice. It's not that they're necessarily bad, it's that the other healers are better for this fight imo. I find the damage reduction cds like AM, Big Bubble, and SLT to be more beneficial than the extra healing of a tranq.

That said, if you've got a resto druid you've got a resto druid and it's not going to make or break your fight.

We don't cleanse the debuff in the main phase, we found we had more issues with people taking their sweet f'ing time getting back to the group to soak the next bouncy ball than we did healing through it. We assign our disc priest to most tank healing and helping on the melee group, our shaman takes the ranged group and I help on both groups. When disrupting shadows goes out someone (usually our shaman b/c I don't like to talk) calls out which target he has and I fix w/e is left.

CDs are used at the start of black phase (more adds up, more damage). We can usually manage two per (so like AM and big bubble or SLT and tank 4 pc).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
We do me disc priesting it, resto druid, holy pally. Holy pally does melee and tank, I do ranged all the way at the left and barrier/bubble the crap out of my ranged then head to middle group, right group, back to the boss. I would not wish to 2 heal that unless divine hymn was on a 2 min CD or something.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
05/02/2012 01:53 PMPosted by Sellys
It's definitely a three heal fight, and I personally don't think resto druids are the best choice. It's not that they're necessarily bad, it's that the other healers are better for this fight imo. I find the damage reduction cds like AM, Big Bubble, and SLT to be more beneficial than the extra healing of a tranq

.... Huh?? Resto druids are OP at this fight, it's ALL spread raid healing, especially in 10m. When on earth are people stacked up enough for me to use SLT or PW: Barrier? :|
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
We always two healed it, though it wasn't easy before the debuff was as big as it is now. Specifically, resto shaman and holy paladin. Our raid comp had two people (mage and shadow priest) that could bounce an orb by themselves (we always did seven bounces) so the normal phase damage was much lower than it could have been. Given that you only have one person that can do a solo bounce, and the debuff, you probably should go with three.

You do have to dispel the disrupting shadows, especially with two healers. We split the healing/dispelling for normal phases essentially along the same lines as the black phases, but the healers need to know when they need to help out the other team, IE, I as the melee healer would have to heal/dispel the ranged group some if they got three disrupting shadows.

One thing to check is that your DK tank is using his tier bonus at the start of black phases. The damage starts very high and drops off as tentacles die, so having a cooldown for even just the first few seconds makes a big difference. The good part about the DK version is that it can be up for every black phase, the others can only be up for every other one because the phases are slightly less than two minutes apart.

As for healing the black phase damage, as a druid you can alternate tranq and tree form so you have a cooldown for every black phase. Beyond that, there isn't much to say other than basic druid stuff. Hopefully your raiders know how to utilize their own personal defensive cooldowns, as they should be using them at the start of black phases when they can.

Not really healing related directly, but your dps strategy for black phase should involve killing the weaker tentacles first, as the room wide damage is proportional to the number of living tentacles. This means the flails, then the eye, with the claw saved for last. Each of our two teams started on a flail, then moved onto a set of eyes. Specifically, from where the claw is, facing the center, our melee team started at the left flail, then killed eyes heading back to the center. Our ranged team started at the right flail, then killed eyes starting from the center to the far eye, then came back to finish off the claw if it was still around. Our combat rogue just stayed on Zon'ozz the whole time to abuse blade flurry to murder the claw.
Edited by Asthas on 5/2/2012 6:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
FFS
Here is our log from our rather short attemptx for what Irisong originally posted. We didnt get a chance to do to many attempts as our DPS had to get going.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/f0qzmjkrwcix4qbo/dashboard/?s=4760&e=4845

Your healers look quite competent and I think it is possible for you to 2 heal this encounter but I believe it would require a significant increase to your dps.

To put it into context; we 3 heal this and our HPS is the same as yours but our DPS is over twice that of yours. Quite frankly I find myself bored during black phase but that has nothing to do with my skill but rather how good our dps is.

To be fair, it will take some time to adjust to moving out and killing those adds during black phase. As I'm sure you've realized; every extra second it takes you to kill adds during black phase is another second you are stressing the healers.

If I were your raid leader I'd continue using 3 healers until everyone fully comprehends the fight...black phase in particular. If you still can't stay alive through an entire black phase make an honest assessment on who's fault it is (healers or dps) then move from there.

In closing this is one of those encounters where your damage-dealers have a tremendous (possibly the most) impact on how hard this fight is to heal.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
05/02/2012 03:23 PMPosted by Kiango
It's definitely a three heal fight, and I personally don't think resto druids are the best choice. It's not that they're necessarily bad, it's that the other healers are better for this fight imo. I find the damage reduction cds like AM, Big Bubble, and SLT to be more beneficial than the extra healing of a tranq

.... Huh?? Resto druids are OP at this fight, it's ALL spread raid healing, especially in 10m. When on earth are people stacked up enough for me to use SLT or PW: Barrier? :|

Right at the beginning of the black phase when the damage is highest. We group up on the claw while dps kill what they can then once a few things are down and the damage isn't as crazy we spread out finish off the other junk.

We also don't dispel the disrupting shadows so the tidal waves hasted heals of our shaman are more useful to us than our druids hots, and our druid can multi dot things in black phase, although I'm not positive the adds live long enough for that to be a big deal.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
we still 3heal it screw 2healing it lol just have good dps
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
05/02/2012 01:53 PMPosted by Sellys
It's definitely a three heal fight, and I personally don't think resto druids are the best choice. It's not that they're necessarily bad, it's that the other healers are better for this fight imo. I find the damage reduction cds like AM, Big Bubble, and SLT to be more beneficial than the extra healing of a tranq.

Tranq can hit pretty much everyone in the room if the druid stands in the center and no one stands out on the fringes. It's considerably more useful than SLT or Barrier during black phases where you're killing tentacles (usually about 3 cycles of it). Couple that with the fact that a WG can usually hit at least 3 people without major positioning problems and ToL ups the ante even more-- I'd say resto druids are extremely good for this fight on 10m.

If anything, Resto shamans are probably the weaker healer to bring for Zon'ozz because of the range limits on their AoE and raid CDs.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
FFS
05/03/2012 12:00 PMPosted by Gloostick
It's considerably more useful than SLT or Barrier during black phases where you're killing tentacles (usually about 3 cycles of it).

I can say from personal experience that PW:B gets me absolutely nowhere during black phase. I wouldn't even say it's worth the GCD it takes to cast it. FH, BH, PoM, and penance are my go to spells during that phase (unless of course its my turn to charge into the center and cast Hymn).

It's not too shabby for that very last ball bounce on the range stack right before you let Zonozz absorb and you enter black phase though; it nixes quite a bit of the damage you take right before black phase and gets everyone topped off faster.

Thats about the most sensible use I have found for it so far.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Tranq can hit pretty much everyone in the room if the druid stands in the center and no one stands out on the fringes. It's considerably more useful than SLT or Barrier during black phases where you're killing tentacles (usually about 3 cycles of it). Couple that with the fact that a WG can usually hit at least 3 people without major positioning problems and ToL ups the ante even more-- I'd say resto druids are extremely good for this fight on 10m.

If anything, Resto shamans are probably the weaker healer to bring for Zon'ozz because of the range limits on their AoE and raid CDs.

We three heal it using disc priest, resto druid, resto shaman. Not that he ever uses it but we have our shaman in a group with the range pinging down the flail and the eyes on left hand side of the room and he could drop spirit link totem there but I don't think he does.... Mastery stacking shamans are usually pretty good. We have our disc priest following around our two melee taking down the far flail and the two eyes right behind the claw and our druid bounces back and forth between helping heal range, melee, and myself.

I would have to agree that druids are probably the best here. Or at least I have great faith in the one in our raid.
Edit: I never finished my train of thought.
Edited by Eralyn on 5/3/2012 1:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
05/03/2012 12:27 PMPosted by Furgoe
I can say from personal experience that PW:B gets me absolutely nowhere during black phase. I wouldn't even say it's worth the GCD it takes to cast it.

Barrier isn't on the GCD.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]