New MoP Lore: Legacy of the Masters

90 Undead Warlock
It seems that there's a new lore book for 'locks in game called Legacy of the Masters (Part 1), located near the 'lock trainers in Orgrimmar (unknown if there's a book in Stormwind). It's a pretty interesting read, and since not everyone is in the beta (and right now client stability is terrible) I've taken screenshots the whole thing and photoshopped it into one image. A couple of the pages are a bit longer than one book page, so there's a couple duplicates for the top and bottom of those pages.

http://i.imgur.com/PgCYK.jpg
Reply Quote
A hint at outland playing a role again? Or just an explanation of how the new found powers came to be?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Transcript thanks to Aethilus on the MMO-Champ forums:

The Council of Six Daggers

The pages within contain the story of the six master warlock trainers who unlocked the secrets of the most destructive forces to ever threaten Azeroth.

This rare alliance resulted in the new magics which were unleashed to all Warlock sects after The Cataclysm.

In the wake of The Cataclysm, the rising tensions between The Horde and Alliance have driven the greatest heroes of Azeroth to train for war. Warriors have readied their war banners. The Death Knights of Acherus have learned to control the Undead and it is even said the mages are researching ways to undo time itself.

Word of these new threats compelled the Warlocks to action. Convening in shadows, a council of six fought about what must be done to ensure the supremacy of their order, after several nights of blame, bickering, and signed beareds, the human Warlock Kanrethad spoke out:

" The relentless darkness which bathed Azeroth has been pushed back. Cho'Gall is slain and the remnants of the Twilight's Hammer cult have been scattered. Ragnaros is defeated and his armies forced back into the Firelands. Deathwing lies torn apart and his twilight drakes obliterated. However, the powers they commanded are not so easily forgotten... powers untapped and ripe for the taking."

"In fact, among us now stands several who have faced their power firsthand." He said, pointing at a hooded figure across the room. A deep, sinister laugh echoed through the room as his hood burst into flames and burned away to reveal the orc enchanted, Ritssyn.

"It is true, pink skin, I was there when the Firelord was vanquished. The intensity of his flame was unlike anything you can imagine." the burning glow of Ritssyn's eyes cast eerie shadows over his burn-scarred face and thick-tusked grin.

"Untrue." spat a sharp, feminine voice, Shinfel. A Blood Elf adorned with sharp spikes of twilight elementium glared across the table, "Until you've been a prisoner within your own mind you know nothing of horror." Shinfel's blood had been corrupted during the fight with Cho'gall and her arms were now covered in black marks left behind by the corruption that had erupted from her skin. The experience had only served to increase the intensity of her sadism. Shinfel continued, "Even the Firelord's flames were overshadowed by the raw chaos unleashed by the Destroyer." She paused a moment and glanced to a Worgen who remained eerily silent. Zinnin had been present when Deathing was unmade and had not spoken a word since. Zinnin's eyes narrowed for a moment, then snarled at Ritssyn.

Kanrethad stood up from the table and took a deep breath. "This is exactly why we are here. I have no love for any of you, but we each bore witness to pieces of even greater power. Imagine - if we fused the molten fury of the Firelands with the unstoppable chaos of Deathwing, even the powers of the burning legion could not hold a candle to our flames!"

Ritssyn kicked his boots upon the table and snickered. "And just who would do this? You?" he spat. "I think not. You haven't been seen in battle since the siege of the Black Temple. If it weren't for having shared the secrets of Illidan's transformation with this council, I would kill you just for having the audacity of summoning me."

Kanrethad's lips pursed for a moment, but he relaxed and continued. "No, the scope of this task exceeds the capabilities of any single member here. I propose this council split into pairs. Ritssyn and Zinnin would lead a group into Sulfuras. Similarly, Shinfel and Zelfrax would hunt down the remaining members of the Twilight's Hammer cult and ... persuade them to share what they learned."

A pock-faced Gnome applauded with mirthful glee. Kanrethad continued, "then we return... one year from now and take the results of our expeditions back to our own sects. More powerful than we would have been alone."

Ritssyn frowned as he saw the greed drown out in the Human's words dance across the council's faces, "And what would keep us from simply killing our partner in their sleep once it was a success?"

Kanrethad's brow furrowed and he growled, "Which is why we swear that if any member of this council breaks the contract and fails to return or returns alone, the others shall strike them down and banish their soul forever. We either succeed together or die alone."

Ritssyn knew at that moment there was no turning back. To decline was to invite his own death, and Kanrethad had seen to that already. He could defeat the human singlehandedly, but against all five? No. Not now... but after learning the secrets of the destroyer that zinnin held...

"Fine. I can play along with your fool's errand. But first I must know, where will you and that miserable forsake Jubeka be going?"

"Me?" spoke Kanrethad with a wicked grin, "Why I'm returning... to Outland."
Reply Quote
Warlock lore!?!?!?!?!

With the names on our spell flavor text?

Cool.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Awesome!!!

So, Destro locks learn from Ragnoros, Afflocks from the Twilight Cult (and by extention, using the the Old God's corruptive and Soul Stealing powers) and Demonologists from Illidan and the Demon Hunters. Very good acknowledgement of Warlock lore, and possibly the start of a new Shadow Council. This makes me happy.
Reply Quote
Finally some lock lore!

*goes to read

Huh, that Council of Six Daggers sounds pretty awesome. Just makes me want a neutral warlock faction even more. Also, I wonder what Kanrethad hopes to find in Outland.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
This is great, some new lock lore to revive the class.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
So why are the great warlock masters writing down their secret meetings into books and leaving them lying around?
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warlock
04/25/2012 08:07 PMPosted by Drailen
So why are the great warlock masters writing down their secret meetings into books and leaving them lying around?
Warlocks only. Anyone else touches the book they burst into flame and all people related to them get STDs.

Here, hold this book for me will you?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Mage
Possibly this will lead to Illidan's return?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
AHAHAAAAA I was right! /hairflip.

Though... hmmm...

Our Metamorphosis is actually derived from the same arcane techniques Illidan used to consume the Skull of Gul'Dan. The form was given in Wrath, post BC. I wonder what this means, and whether perhaps we are going to get more demon-fusing abilities. Perhaps something where we can fuse with our demon for 20 seconds, and gain a few new appearance type things (Horns from imp, wings and hooves from succy/multiple arms from shivvy, etc). Since they're going BACK to Outlands and all... /curious. THis essentially confirms next xpac is for Outlands, I think.

The latest destruction abilities involves a bit of masochism, have the name of Raggy slapped on, and in general has a Firelands feel. Apparently we do actually enslave the powers of the elemental lord, for raw, well, Destruction :P They're going back to the part of Firelands we visited, a pocket dimension withion Sulfuras Spire. But everything is dead, including Raggy though. I wonder exactly what the firerunes around his armor/hammer mean...

As for Affliction, this goes along with how Shadow Priests are all part of the Cult of the Damned. At the root of it, post Wrath at any rate, the Cult of the Damned as well as the Twilight Hammer, became Old God slaves. The sadism note is fitting as we now have Malefic Grasp, which is basically Twilight realm magic and hastens your victim's torture. And yet affliction is also getting Verdant Spheres. This makes sense as lore wise, all Blood Mages were Blood Elves, and after Kael's fall from grace, they should've all become more warlock than not, especially due to the dependence of fel energy for feeding; loving how the aff lock was a blood elf, this gives us some degree of insanity.

But anyways guys, this also goes to our Warlock Sanctuary we were talking about. Even if it's just a lame cave with a Hearthstone, glad to know we are Warlocks BEFORE we are in our factions, even after Cataclysm! <3

/petsWorgens
/kissesGnomescheek
/gives Generic speech
BAAL 2012

lol :P
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
04/25/2012 08:27 PMPosted by Baalsamael
Our Metamorphosis is actually derived from the same arcane techniques Illidan used to consume the Skull of Gul'Dan. The form was given in Wrath, post BC. I wonder what this means, and whether perhaps we are going to get more demon-fusing abilities. Perhaps something where we can fuse with our demon for 20 seconds, and gain a few new appearance type things (Horns from imp, wings and hooves from succy/multiple arms from shivvy, etc). Since they're going BACK to Outlands and all... /curious. THis essentially confirms next xpac is for Outlands, I think.

It confirms nothing. All it says is that Demonology gets it's powers from Demons, and hints at some developments in parts of the Outlands that enhance a Demonologist's new powers. What are Demonologists getting that's new? We are learning to properly handle Shadowflame (black dragon thing, but could also be of a demonic or void nature) and to summon and command legions of little Imps (I swear I wander around the leveling zones with 3-7 of the darn things, and they keep attacking things I want to avoid), and as a bonus we have the Glyph of Demon Hunting (I don't think I need to explain where that came from, Sections of the Black Temple were used as a Demon Hunter Academy).

Now, we know that the story in Outland has been progressing in our absence. Akama and Maiev are now supposedly in charge (inferred from the loading screens), but much more then that we can't say. Maybe we will get more info in Mists. We will see. But I don't think this confirms or even suggests anything of note.
Edited by Orloth on 4/25/2012 10:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warlock
If they have the idea of making Black Temple a warlock city, they better leave the damn lvl 70 raid there too. make it a time travel thing Idc.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
04/25/2012 10:58 PMPosted by Sathrago
If they have the idea of making Black Temple a warlock city, they better leave the damn lvl 70 raid there too. make it a time travel thing Idc.

I doubt it'll go this far, but a fortress around the Gul'dan site would be nice.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
They can do what they did with the Sunwell in the Quel'Delar questline and have a phased version of the Black Temple that is only accessible through the questline.

Also, they seem to have removed the flavor text from the talents in the most recent build. Does anyone have that available? I would like to know which Council Member said which line for which spell.

Edit: Found it.

Soul Link: "The strongest of bonds is one which shares pain and pleasure equally." - Kanrethad

Sacrificial Pact: "Let someone else pay the price of your recklessness." - Zelfrax

Dark Bargain: "All debts must be repaid... eventually." - Shinfel

Blood Fear: "If I'm bleeding, you'd better be running." - Jubeka

Burning Rush: "Run, run or you'll be well done!" - Zinnin

Unbound Will: "I will not be stopped - be it by Human, Dragon or Titan." - Ritssyn
Edited by Orloth on 4/26/2012 1:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Kanrethad = Human Demonology Warlock, created the Metamorphosis form. Killed Illidan. Goes to Outlands.

Zelfrax = Crazy Gnome. Goes to torture Twilight Cultists

Shinfel = Affliction Blood Elf Warlock, studies the magics of the Twilight Cult (perhaps also a blood mage once upon a time given the Verdant Spheres glyph). Killed Cho'gall. Goes to torture Twilight Cultists again.

Jubeka = Undead. They have blood? Miserable forsaken, I wish she had said something. Goes to Outlands. Assuming she's Demonology as she goes to study that.

Zinnin = Worgen Warlock, killed Deathwing, apparently traumatized. Goes to study Rag. Destruction Warlock, "The chaos of Deathwing", given Chaos Bolt's graphic, I think Destruction is a fusion between the Aspect's Corrupted Titan and Ragnaros.

Rissyn = Orc Destruction Warlock, killed Rag, goes to study Firelands magic again.

So pairings are:

Destruction: To Sulfuras, Orc (Rag kill) and Worgen (DW kill), creating Chaos Magic
Affliction: To Bastion of Twilight area, Blood Elf (Cho'gal kill) and Gnome (lets assume Yogg/C'thun), learn more about Twilight Magic and using Old Gods
Demonology: To Outlands, probably Black Temple or Shattrath (Void Ray for Demo, fallen naaru powers?), Human (Illidan kill) and Undead (Kil'jaedan perhaps), we can never have enough demons.'

---------------------------------

Edit:

Wait... Part one?
Edited by Baalsamael on 4/26/2012 2:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
Also given the fact the last tier are all related to bosses from BC
Reply Quote
84 Human Warlock
Awesome!!!

So, Destro locks learn from Ragnoros, Afflocks from the Twilight Cult (and by extention, using the the Old God's corruptive and Soul Stealing powers) and Demonologists from Illidan and the Demon Hunters. Very good acknowledgement of Warlock lore, and possibly the start of a new Shadow Council. This makes me happy.

if only warlocks were practicing "the most destructive forces ever to threaten azeroth".

It seems the twilight cult were third stringers behind priests who lost their way (shadow) and chicken-men (moonkins) in terms of dot damage unless they willfully babysit them with 2 casted/channeled mechanics.

it seems ragnaros the firelord is nothing compared to the dalaran archmages

it seems illidan is nothing compared to stranglethorn's cat infested regions.

this is a big /yawn with how bad affliction in particular is..
Edited by Yuzuha on 5/1/2012 2:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Finally, it can be shown that i was right, I am a Demon Hunter.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]