What defines a paladin?

85 Human Warrior
What spell do paladins have that other classes do not have? Or should I say, what makes a Paladin fun and unique? Priests for example has mind control, mana burn, mind vision, levitate among other fun tools. Hunters have a few weapons in their arsenal. Disengage, feign death, deterance, traps, eagle eye. Shamands can hex, they get totems, reincarnate. Druids, well everything is fun about druids and they can do everything. Locks can summon people and the demon portal thing is alot of fun too.

The closest thing I can think of is divine intervention but that was removed a while ago because it was too powerful to be in the game. So what makes a paladin, a paladin?
Reply Quote
  • Hands (Sacrifice, Salvation, Protection, Freedom)
  • Bubble (Divine Shield)
  • Wings (Avenging Wrath)
  • Lay on Hands
  • Guardian of Ancient Kings
  • Edited by Stax on 4/25/2012 9:30 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Paladin
    Pink Class color.. and Yellow icons..

and Macros that say junk like "Redbull give you wings"...

not that i use anything of that ... nature..
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Paladin
    Those are all nice but i think auras kinda define the class
    they might not be as important as they were but stilll who else has them
    Edited by Timelesself on 4/26/2012 12:13 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Paladin
    04/26/2012 12:11 AMPosted by Timelesself
    those are all nice but i think auras kinda define the class

Yes they also defined the class in Diablo
    Reply Quote
    Those are all nice but i think auras kinda define the class
    they might not be as important as they were but stilll who else has them

They're also getting removed in MoP.
    Reply Quote
    Sense Undead. Oh, wait...
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Paladin
    To me, the class is defined more by the playstyle. Of all the classes, to me the paladin seems the most fluid in all aspects. Less rushed. Part of that is the design around the fact we don't have a plethora of abilities in any spec. I'm not managing 18 random cooldowns, 13 procs, and 8 damage spells. When I tank, I'm watching the group, watching the mobs and seeing how things are setting up. I'm not micro managing cooldowns, RP, runes, etc. I'm tanking. I feel fluid.

Some say that is what makes the paladin easy to play. To me, that is what makes it fun to play. I'm never in a rush. Tanking is actually relaxing. Healing, relaxing. When I heal on my priest, I feel always in a rush. I find I really miss Beacon of Light and PotI, so I'm only really healing DPS in 5 mans. When I'm bored, I can run in and whack at mobs for mana and holy power.

When I tank, I like that a lot of my cooldowns are there to protect the party. Divine Guardian, Hand of Protection. Even cleansing myself of poisons and diseases while tanking.

I do admit, Ret feels awkward to me, but that's because I don't play it often. I like healing and tanking too much. When I quest, I just slap on some Ret gear with my hammer and shield, and go smack things around.
    Reply Quote
    85 Human Death Knight
    To me, the class is defined more by the playstyle. Of all the classes, to me the paladin seems the most fluid in all aspects. Less rushed. Part of that is the design around the fact we don't have a plethora of abilities in any spec. I'm not managing 18 random cooldowns, 13 procs, and 8 damage spells. When I tank, I'm watching the group, watching the mobs and seeing how things are setting up. I'm not micro managing cooldowns, RP, runes, etc. I'm tanking. I feel fluid.

That is exactly how I think. When I play the game, I want to see my group, the mobs, the bosses. I like to worry about the mechanics of the encounters, not the mechanics of my character (procs, resources, cooldowns). Sadly, Blizzard seens to be taking this away. Almost every class in the game is being changed to be about micromanagement.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Paladin
    In terms of uniqueness in spells I think Paladins really just have the Hand Spells. But, then again, a large percentage of classes share the same abilities under different names (See: Any Spell with "Strike"). It isn't about specific spells for me though.

I love that Paladins are on the border with being Ranged/Melee, Damaging/Healing, Offense/Defense but most of all I like that they're something between Magical/Physical. And not just any magic, Holy magic, the Light! The only other class like that is a Shaman and even Shamans are more about the Elements and Nature. They tend to rely on their physical weapon hits more than I rely on my magical Seals.

So, it isn't that I have a set of unqiue and interesting spells so much as I love that my mechanics represent something of a powerful ideal.
    Reply Quote
    I am sorry but it has to be said.

This set of gear.
    Admit it, Judgement is one of the, if not the most famous set of gear in-game.
    Reply Quote
    85 Blood Elf Paladin
    Our hair.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Paladin
    [quote] I like to worry about the mechanics of the encounters, not the mechanics of my character (procs, resources, cooldowns). Sadly, Blizzard seens to be taking this away. Almost every class in the game is being changed to be about micromanagement.

I thought about this, and you are right. Guess blizzard learned that making mechanics interesting and challenging was too hard for the players. When MC was new, it was less about could I micromanage every CD perfectly to win and more about "How do I avoid being in the wrong place at the wrong time". Now, it seems that it's more enrage timers (though uniquely disguised sometimes) trying to force players to be 100% correct only every aspect of their class. I hate watching CDs and timers. I want to see the game.
    Reply Quote
    85 Tauren Paladin
    04/26/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Lindbergh
    [quote] I like to worry about the mechanics of the encounters, not the mechanics of my character (procs, resources, cooldowns). Sadly, Blizzard seens to be taking this away. Almost every class in the game is being changed to be about micromanagement.

I thought about this, and you are right. Guess blizzard learned that making mechanics interesting and challenging was too hard for the players. When MC was new, it was less about could I micromanage every CD perfectly to win and more about "How do I avoid being in the wrong place at the wrong time". Now, it seems that it's more enrage timers (though uniquely disguised sometimes) trying to force players to be 100% correct only every aspect of their class. I hate watching CDs and timers. I want to see the game.

This ^
    Reply Quote
    86 Dwarf Paladin
    04/25/2012 11:41 PMPosted by Barfus
    and Macros that say junk like "Redbull give you wings"...

I don't use macros, but that sounds almost too tempting to pass up!

04/26/2012 06:38 AMPosted by Stax
    They're also getting removed in MoP.

Why are they getting rid of auras?? They may not be the best anymore but they still help in my opinion.
    Edited by Selquist on 4/28/2012 5:09 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    85 Blood Elf Paladin
    id say seals help define paladins
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Paladin
    04/28/2012 06:26 AMPosted by Shadara
    id say seals help define paladins

I agree. I have been around long enough to remember when seals lasted 30 seconds and were removed when judged, but they were still the biggest difference I felt from when I tried other classes. Priests can heal, shaman can use elemental weapons (which are quite different from seals in that they are less noticeable and not the focus of our combat system), but seals are unique in that they are the center of the class.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Paladin
    Paladins are the only class that have damage that can't be mitigated (Holy Damage). Not sure if it defines the class but it certainly sets them apart.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Paladin
    What defines us is the player behind the screen. Especially they paladins that have been around for a long time. We have been through times of being nothing but heal/buff bots, OP dps that was crushed "to the ground" and became a running joke at blizzard. Times of great tanking spells and times of great sorrow at the lose of certain spells.

Paladins as a class have the greatest unlocked potential, other classes know this and shake in fear. If we were allowed to truely unleash our power, no class could stand before us.
    A plate wearing, selfhealing, judgement of the light bringing Juggernaut. Oh yeah and the other thing that defines us, /hairflip, great hair. (even the bald paladins)
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Paladin
    Consecration.

Mad deepz yo.

Seriously this ability needs a bit of a rework somehow. Give it some sort of effect for standing in like desecrated ground has.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]