Who is enjoying their time in GW2

45 Human Warlock
I liked first GW because I didn't have to compete for quest mobs..
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
04/28/2012 11:42 AMPosted by Boxerone
I liked first GW because I didn't have to compete for quest mobs..

You're going to love this then, your "quests" are shared, and the more you do for that quest, the more of a reward you get, you can't leech.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior

Hmm.. I swear that one of their combat features is no more auto attacking so you can't just stand there and mindlessly hacking at a mob.
It's a toggled ability, and it's only certain professions.

I myself am having a blast in there, tons of people just randomly come together on an event, it becomes epic, we all start talking and before you know it, we're all doing the same thing, rezzing other players and there's tons of teamwork.

This random dynamic public event is a great feature. Not only that, there's no mob tagging, if you help someone kill a mob you'll get rewarded regardless. I think this is one feature that every MMO (including wow) should consider to adopt in the future.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Also, no fighting over gathering materials. It actually stops massive griefing as well.

I started out solo and became a massive 40man group destroying thing, but we had to gather materials too, cause we thugs gotta craft.
Reply Quote
29 Human Warrior
I am enjoying the beta but here are some points I think need to be ironed out.

-The voice acting borders on bad. Everyone has an American accent and my female Norm thief doesn't sound feminine at all, she sounds really butch.
-I can't overcome the lag. I have a decent rig, and I KNOW the game would look wonderful with all the gfx turned up. I am forced to turn off AA and everything is set to medium or low. My FPS is dreadful. I'm not sure if it is the crowds or the client or my rig.
-Input lag. Like SWTOR I press an ability and it takes an extra second to go off. Unacceptable.

I am suddenly very glad this game has no release date.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I am enjoying the beta but here are some points I think need to be ironed out.

-The voice acting borders on bad. Everyone has an American accent and my female Norm thief doesn't sound feminine at all, she sounds really butch.
-I can't overcome the lag. I have a decent rig, and I KNOW the game would look wonderful with all the gfx turned up. I am forced to turn off AA and everything is set to medium or low. My FPS is dreadful. I'm not sure if it is the crowds or the client or my rig.
-Input lag. Like SWTOR I press an ability and it takes an extra second to go off. Unacceptable.

I am suddenly very glad this game has no release date.

I can agree with the network lag, and the game isn't optimized very well yet. My GPU / CPU don't go above 20% usage and I can barely keep 40 FPS, but while FPS is good, there's a lot of dips. Think of it this way, if you can play during beta under these conditions, think of how great you will be once it's ironed out, we will be seasoned vets...think of it as training.
Reply Quote
29 Human Warrior
I don't mind being part of the experiment. Its not even a stress test as ArenaNet capped the beta invites by "selling out" of prepurchases.

And yeah its beta and needs some tuning too. I've liked what I've seen so far, just when dynamic events happen and we get 40+ players and NPCs I might as well afk.

It does make me wish I had a top-end rig with all the bells and whistles. Game has potential to look like a mutiplayer Skyrim. Right now for me with dumbed down effects, it looks like a slightly less cartoony wow.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Yea, I get better FPS running at "Ultra" than at "Low" since it's not really a GPU game (at the moment) and CPU is being stressed too much, though it's only using 1/8 of my cores.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
The big difference from Warhammer's pvp is the ability to dodge but dodge seems kind of useless in GW2 pvp.It's far from being new and innovative though it is different from WoW. Like I said, it's very similar to Warhammer. It even has the same dynamic events.

Dodging has saved me on multiple occasions. How is that useless and yes I'm talking about PVP.

04/28/2012 09:04 AMPosted by Icantbubble
Everytime someone in this forums expressed their opinion on how they dislike GW2 you see people quickly replied defensively/hostile. If you think that GW2 is the 2nd coming then stop posting here and go to their forums. Oh, wait a minute, they don't even have one, huh? Otherwise respect everybody's opinion here.

Which is no different then the rampant number of doomsayers telling people this game will fail with no previous knowledge of it. Great example ^ your post. They do have forums :)
Reply Quote
29 Human Warrior
Hell I'm going to try that now.

It's funny you mentioned that, my rig isn't really running hot.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Been having fun on my Human Guardian. Level 12 now :D
Love being able to swap between my 2 favorite weapon styles. (1h sword & Shield / 2h Sword). Can't wait for release. Maybe I should try a warrior next.. Or an engineer.. Damn it, so many choices so little time. :(
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
Having fun, but bad performance atm as others have mentioned. I didn't notice much lag, though (I haven't had many instant spells though, some things have an intentional delay despite being instant as well).
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
I think once they initialize optimization, it will have a big difference in performance, so I'm not too concerned about that. What does concern me is the class/playstyle balancing....I've leveled a Thief, Necro, and Ranger all to 10 already to get a feel...and I've found that ranged classes have a much better survivabilty rate than either of the other 2 melee-ish classes (Necro is pretty much a melee at this lvl so far)...when in melee range, I get !%@*d, when at a distance I pwn...and people have been qq'ing about this issue on the beta forum as well...

Haven't played any tanking class yet, so I can't comment on that set up.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
RoE
Level 12 Ranger, 5 Necromancer, 5 Elementalist and 13 Warrior.

Playing the Warrior as ranged only (imagine trying that in WoW!) and he is an absolute beast. Rifle bleed spam for single target, Longbow burning spam for AoE.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue

Playing the Warrior as ranged only (imagine trying that in WoW!) and he is an absolute beast. Rifle bleed spam for single target, Longbow burning spam for AoE.

Yeah, ranged is beast, melee kind of sucks with alot of dying atm...
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Level 12 Human Thief atm. :) Enjoying him so much.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Playing a Charr Thief, having a pretty good time. Running Shortbow as my primary weapon set, with Pistol/Dagger as my secondary if something needs kiting.

Shortbow is exceedingly handy in a lot of situations, combos with itself (Choking Gas + Cluster Bomb = Auto-combo), plus it's largely focused on AoE damage, which is essentially the name of the game in a lot of areas.

Pistol/Dagger is kind of an odd-ball. Shadow Strike does a ridiculous amount of damage, but it's melee only and teleports you away. I mostly use it for tougher melee enemies. Between Dancing Dagger, Shadow Strike and some of my utility abilities, it's very rare for something to get close and stay close long enough to hurt me.

I have invested quite a few points into Acrobatics which gives me more health. I thought, before I got traits, I'd be investing in Critical Strike or whatever the Power one is. As it turns out, you can die very easily. Unless I'm in a group, the extra health helps a lot. Shadow Arts (gives Toughness and improved Healing) was also another option, but the special effects of Acrobatics looked more appealing to me.

Voice acting has been pretty good for the most part. Steve Blum.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
RoE
Playing a Charr Thief, having a pretty good time. Running Shortbow as my primary weapon set, with Pistol/Dagger as my secondary if something needs kiting.

Shortbow is exceedingly handy in a lot of situations, combos with itself (Choking Gas + Cluster Bomb = Auto-combo), plus it's largely focused on AoE damage, which is essentially the name of the game in a lot of areas.

Pistol/Dagger is kind of an odd-ball. Shadow Strike does a ridiculous amount of damage, but it's melee only and teleports you away. I mostly use it for tougher melee enemies. Between Dancing Dagger, Shadow Strike and some of my utility abilities, it's very rare for something to get close and stay close long enough to hurt me.

I have invested quite a few points into Acrobatics which gives me more health. I thought, before I got traits, I'd be investing in Critical Strike or whatever the Power one is. As it turns out, you can die very easily. Unless I'm in a group, the extra health helps a lot. Shadow Arts (gives Toughness and improved Healing) was also another option, but the special effects of Acrobatics looked more appealing to me.

Voice acting has been pretty good for the most part. Steve Blum.

Yep death is not unusual especially if you are fighting an elite in a group event. That giant wasp in the human area and the high shaman in the Charr area both get their fair share of kills.

The bar is set quite high even early on.
Edited by Kuzuryu on 4/28/2012 1:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
The ability delay comes from server lag. I experience it when i'm out in the world doing events but when i'm in a structured pvp bg it's completely gone.

Another thing to note is a lot of abilities have cast times or channel times so they won't go off instantly. I know two of my thief's dagger abilities have a sort of channel.

The server lag also contributes to dodging being less useful. It's been quite handy in structured pvp.

I find the pvp itself to be much more enjoyable compared to wow pvp (only mmo i've pvp'd in). You're not constantly stunned/rooted/slowed/feared etc. You can actually control your character!

PvP is horrible. You don't feel like you are in the battle.

What do you mean by this?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior

Yeah, ranged is beast, melee kind of sucks with alot of dying atm...

Really?
It's the opposite for me. I die as ranged a lot, but almost never do as melee.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]