Population.

85 Human Priest
I'd like to talk a little bit about Spirestones current server population. I think It's stupid that I have to pay to transfer all my characters to even enjoy this game. Spirestone checks in at around 600 alliance online at a time on Warcraftrealms.com. There's maybe an average of 150-200 85's online at a time. From my understanding nothing will be done about low population servers until mists come out. Do I really have to wait 8 months until I can enjoy this game again? I feel even worse for some people on servers such as Warsong. I checked how many 85's were online yesterday on the alliance side and there was only 18 online at the time. I checked the population of 85's a few minutes ago and it's at 13 people. I just think it's ridiculous for people on servers like these to have to pay hundreds of dollars to transfer their characters so they can even enjoy the game.
Edited by Nickiminaj on 4/27/2012 3:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
If you think the developers should look at your realms population, then you need to post over in the General Discussion Forum where they have asked any feedback go on this matter. They do not read this forum for feedback or suggestions.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
04/27/2012 03:44 PMPosted by Flatspriest
If you think the developers should look at your realms population, then you need to post over in the General Discussion Forum where they have asked any feedback go on this matter. They do not read this forum for feedback or suggestions.

You mean the general forums where everyone is just going to troll? It's not only my realms population, it's dozens of them. I don't want any sort of feedback and I'm not trying to make any suggestions, If I have no choice but to pay to transfer every single one of my characters to even enjoy the game then I might as well quit. I've been playing this game since vanilla and I have never seen it this bad.
Reply Quote
92 Human Death Knight
The devs are aware of the population issues and are working on ideas to solve it -

02/02/2012 03:41 PMPosted by Zarhym
Having said all that, yesterday we discussed low-population and faction-imbalanced realms with our developers. They have some pretty bold and spectacular plans for addressing this in anticipation of implementing some of the features we plan to in Mists. I just don't have a lot of information to share with you at this stage of programming and development.

04/27/2012 03:42 PMPosted by Nickiminaj
Spirestone checks in at around 600 alliance online at a time on Warcraftrealms.com.

I just checked and the numbers for Spirestone are in RED on that site. That means there is not enough data being collected (not enough players running their addon) to get accurate data. This is not to say your realm is not having an issue, but it is good to keep that in mind when using third party census sites.
Reply Quote
36 Blood Elf Hunter
Some players WANT to be on a low population, or a realm that is unbalanced. It is WoW players who make the realms what they are based on rank.

Go onto www.wowprogress.com and you can directly correlate population to successful raiding. Normally, a realm has medium population and if they have a successful raiding release their population shoots up. If they have a patch where their raiding isn't so good their population plummets.

Why is that? Most WoW players have no problem transferring to where they think the grass is greener. It happens with every expansion and every patch that includes a new raid.

You can dig in and not migrate, but your best shot at successfully raising your population and keeping it high is to get a raid team going and lift your realm's rank.
Edited by Alethìa on 4/27/2012 3:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
04/27/2012 03:49 PMPosted by Nickiminaj
You mean the general forums where everyone is just going to troll? It's not only my realms population, it's dozens of them. I don't want any sort of feedback and I'm not trying to make any suggestions
What else do you call it when you are giving your feedback about your realms population and want the developers to look into it? You are making the suggestion that they help solve the problem of the population imbalance.

If I have no choice but to pay to transfer every single one of my characters to even enjoy the game then I might as well quit.
Rerolling is free.
Reply Quote
92 Human Death Knight
You mean the general forums where everyone is just going to troll?

Unfortunately, the only "blues" that can take the concerns to the proper folks at Blizzard are Community Managers like Zarhym in the quote above. The Support Forum Agents here on this forum are not involved in, nor are they liaisons to, any part of Blizzard that is involved in population issues.

The primary forum for Community Managers is General Discussion.
Edited by Maul on 4/27/2012 3:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I just checked and the numbers for Spirestone are in RED on that site. That means there is not enough data being collected (not enough players running their addon) to get accurate data. This is not to say your realm is not having an issue, but it is good to keep that in mind when using third party census sites.

I'd actually have to say it's quite accurate.

I did /who in game...

85 paladins - 15
85 rogues - 18
85 shamans - 20
85 Death Knights - 12
85 Druid - 15
85 Priests - 16
85 hunters - 25
85 Mages - 15
85 warlock - 12

Players level 10-50 - 22
Players level 50-70 - 26
Players level 70-80 - 14
Players level 80-84 - 30

Give or take a few people but it was the same way yesterday.

Some players WANT to be on a low population, or a realm that is unbalanced. It is WoW players who make the realms what they are based on rank.

Some players do, not all of them. I play this game to PvP, not to raid. I'm in a very successful PvE guild and if I wanted to raid I probably could. But this server is very lacking in PvP, it's almost impossible to find an arena partner let alone world PvP.
Rerolling is free.

Not gonna happen when I have almost every character above level 80 besides a druid.
Edited by Nickiminaj on 4/27/2012 4:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Human Death Knight
I'd actually have to say it's extremely accurate.

I am not on your realm so I could not say. But even Warcraftrealms gives this warning for your server -

There are too few Alliance and Horde entries for this realm to give reliable results! Please help today by submitting data for this realm!

I am just saying that it is important to realize that when the numbers are in red on that website, the numbers are not based on sufficient data.
Edited by Maul on 4/27/2012 4:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
04/27/2012 04:02 PMPosted by Maul
I'd actually have to say it's extremely accurate.

I am not on your realm so I could not say. But even Warcraftrealms gives this warning for your server -

There are too few Alliance and Horde entries for this realm to give reliable results! Please help today by submitting data for this realm!

I am just saying that it is important to realize that when the numbers are in red on that website, the numbers are not based sufficient data.

Who knows. All I know is that the servers who show up with low population actually are low populated. It checked out for Spirestone and warsong, If I need to go to every low population server and give you exact data of people 10-85 I will.
Reply Quote
92 Human Death Knight
04/27/2012 04:03 PMPosted by Nickiminaj
If I need to go to every low population server and give you exact data of people 10-85 I will.

Well, to redirect this a bit, Blizzard has the actual numbers. And as I quoted above, the devs are quite aware of the issues and have some ideas to address population issues. It just appears that the "fix" will not come until MoP release, at the earliest.

But if you want to continue the discussion on this issue, the best place is where CM's like Zarhym read and post, which would be General.
Edited by Maul on 4/27/2012 4:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
04/27/2012 04:07 PMPosted by Maul
If I need to go to every low population server and give you exact data of people 10-85 I will.

Well, to redirect this a bit, Blizzard has the actual numbers. And as I quoted above, the devs are quite aware of the issues and have some ideas to address population issues. It just appears that the "fix" will not come until MoP release, at the earliest.

But if you want to continue the discussion on this issue, the best place is where CM's like Zarhym read and post, which would be General.

I already did yesterday. I had quite a few people reply who agreed with my issues, I didn't get a single blue reply. I take it I'm best off canceling my sub until MoP comes out, I highly doubt the population fix will be released upon MoP release. So I take it I'm not able to enjoy the game for a couple of years.
Reply Quote
MVP - Customer Support
100 Tauren Druid
04/27/2012 04:09 PMPosted by Nickiminaj
I didn't get a single blue reply

And you probably won't. There are well over 200 realms. The most-likely result of your thread is that your realm was added to the list of ones to watch - if it wasn't there already. The Community team doesn't exist to respond to each and every thread. They're there to relay information back and forth from the developers and the players. And right now, there's really nothing to say to you, short of the already-said "we're working on it".
"In the name of Elune, I will punish you!"
Reply Quote
I just want to throw in my two cents and say that I fully agree with the original poster.

When I first started playing WoW, nobody told me that the Horde/Alliance ratio on Illidan was about 100/1. I simply went there because that's where my friends were.

However, at least there were enough Alliance players back then to have a somewhat enjoyable game experience. After taking a hiatus from the game, I returned to find my server completely devoid of Alliance players. This makes raiding, participating in the economy, and questing absolutely impossible.

In summary, shame on Blizzard for letting servers end up like this in the first place (for transfer $$$). Something as simple as servers that must be joined on the less populated faction would resolve this.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I didn't get a single blue reply

And you probably won't. There are well over 200 realms. The most-likely result of your thread is that your realm was added to the list of ones to watch - if it wasn't there already. The Community team doesn't exist to respond to each and every thread. They're there to relay information back and forth from the developers and the players. And right now, there's really nothing to say to you, short of the already-said "we're working on it".
"In the name of Elune, I will punish you!"

Well that really sucks. I had people who spent hundreds of dollars transferring their characters and they said they enjoy the game again. That isn't an option I'm willing to take, I'm only one sub out of the millions so it doesn't really matter.

I just want to throw in my two cents and say that I fully agree with the original poster.

When I first started playing WoW, nobody told me that the Horde/Alliance ratio on Illidan was about 100/1. I simply went there because that's where my friends were.

However, at least there were enough Alliance players back then to have a somewhat enjoyable game experience. After taking a hiatus from the game, I returned to find my server completely devoid of Alliance players. This makes raiding, participating in the economy, and questing absolutely impossible.

In summary, shame on Blizzard for letting servers end up like this in the first place (for transfer $$$). Something as simple as servers that must be joined on the less populated faction would resolve this.

Well, we're just a small percentage of the community so we're not really a priority. I'm pretty disappointed, not like it matters. This thread will be locked soon enough.
Edited by Nickiminaj on 4/27/2012 4:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Human Death Knight
04/27/2012 04:16 PMPosted by Nickiminaj
Well, we're just a small percentage of the community so we're not really a priority.

While it may feel like that, that is not the case. Zarhym proves that they do care and are devoting resources to the issue. But sometimes solutions take time to bring to fruition.

Many players may think band-aid solutions like server merges would be enough, but what happens if they merge all the low pop servers to bring them all into balance and then a year later they are all off-kilter again? They merge servers again and again? Or bring them back online if subscriptions skyrocket? Such a solution is not optimal.

Blizzard already gave players the ability to do cross-realm dungeons and raiding via the Real ID system and they did not need to do that. They did it to help. And I have never seen Zarhym deliberately lie about an issue, so if he says they are still working on the issue, they are.
Edited by Maul on 4/27/2012 4:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Priest
Well that really sucks. I had people who spent hundreds of dollars transferring their characters and they said they enjoy the game again. That isn't an option I'm willing to take, I'm only one sub out of the millions so it doesn't really matter.

Well, in the end, you can post where those who make the decision on allowing free transfers will see your opinion OR you can decide whether it's worth your time/funds or not to pay for a server transfer. Like was said before, re-rolling is free, but your time is valuable...perhaps as valuable as the cost of a transfer?

Only you can answer that though.

As you mentioned, your last option is to quit.

Well, we're just a small percentage of the community so we're not really a priority. I'm pretty disappointed, not like it matters. This thread will be locked soon enough.

Why would this thread be locked? Voicing an opinion is fine and so is asking questions. If it starts to get out of hand, then maybe. But so far there's no reason to lock this one.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Like was said before, re-rolling is free, but your time is valuable...perhaps as valuable as the cost of a transfer?

You're right, re-rolling is free. I've done it so many times it's gotten to the point where it's more of a chore than it is fun. The point of playing World of Warcraft is to have fun and enjoy your time playing. The thing is... I don't really hate the game, It's not what it used to be, but it's not unplayable.

Only you can answer that though.

As you mentioned, your last option is to quit.

It's just sad that I'm forced to spend a few hundred dollars to enjoy the game. I shouldn't be forced to quit because I refuse to pay for server transfers for every single character I have. I should only have to quit if I don't enjoy the game anymore, that's about it.
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Priest
04/27/2012 04:28 PMPosted by Nickiminaj
It's just sad that I'm forced to spend a few hundred dollars to enjoy the game. I shouldn't be forced to quit because I refuse to pay for server transfers for every single character I have. I should only have to quit if I don't enjoy the game anymore, that's about it.

I'll be honest, I find rerolling a new toon a whole lot of fun with the new quests for 1-60. But like I said, it's really up to you to decide what it's worth to you. In the end, there was a time that re-rolling was your only option and people were willing to pay up to $100 per toon when they were looking to introduce a transfer option.

Don't think of it as being "forced" but instead "optional".

You can always send one completely loaded toon to another server with a whole bunch of heirloom items, gold and gear to start a whole new group of toons too.

At least there are more options than just re-rolling ;)
Reply Quote
The point of playing World of Warcraft is to have fun and enjoy your time playing.

This is absolutely correct. And at no point in this is that there has to be server transfers.

It's just sad that I'm forced to spend a few hundred dollars to enjoy the game.

You could transfer just one character. If you can't enjoy yourself with even one character, then maybe you should stop playing. Honestly, a bigger population just means there will be less of a sense of community. There's very few guilds that care about all their members. Or even most, on high pop servers.

I shouldn't be forced to quit

You are absolutely right. Which is why Blizzard isn't taking your hands to move the mouse. Using your fingers to push buttons.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]