How to get and maintain aggro

I've been playing WoW for over a month now, and over the course of my play through I've been in group dungeons 99% of the time.

Based on my experience its always on me to look through the dungeons for leadership and aggro control..

Main problem I have is maintaining aggro control over mobs and bosses.. well.. not most of the time.. .but when it comes to it.. there are instances I have good control no mobs venture out to other people.. and at times when its total chaos.. everyone's getting attacked and i start panicking.. everyone's getting hit i start running around.. looking around who's attacking who.. and try to grab threat as best i can... worst i've heard from the group is that I have to keep aggro.. that im not a tank.. but in my mind theres only so much do.. if i could i would run at every single thing and hold aggro.. as an example ill citing ranged mobs.. and in areas where there are open area's.. example scholomance..

my question is.. what should i do to make sure I keep and hold aggro? especially in time when chaos ensues.. what the best way to manage everything and hope everyones happy after the encounter?
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
be in defensive stance
push thunderclap

they buffed threat to 500%, you will not lose agro in your defensive stance if you can push a button every 10 seconds.

I'd also suggest getting Warbringer in your talents, the ability to open up with a charge in defensive helps a lot to A. Get you in the pack, B. open with range.

If you have room to charge into casters without agroing additional enemies, it's best to tank the pack where the caster is.
Edited by Asane on 5/1/2012 11:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
For now I'd suggest -3 to shield mastery (not that this is bad. At some point put them back in). But take those 3 and add 1 to improved revenge, 1 hold the line and 1 to incite.

Shield mastery is important at higher levels, but at lower levels where a lot of the damage mitigation just comes from plate things are a bit more watered down, its not as imperative. And those changes will help with your threat.
Edited by Khahan on 5/1/2012 12:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
When I first started out tanking (which is not that long ago actually), I used this addon which helped a lot: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/tauntmaster

Taunt Master lists all the players in a table, if they have aggro, their name box becomes red and you can either left-click or right-click to taunt the mob off them. The skill/talent to use for left-click/right-click is customizable but I've found the default for DK to be good. I think it'll work ok for Warriors too as all tank specs have some kind of taunt/fixate ability.
Reply Quote
thank you all for the responses. :) I've been thinking alot in getting the charge into my rotation.. and so i will.. and will get the addon sa stated
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
I disagree with the advice to put a point in incite. At low levels, I rarely had enough rage to use heroic strike enough to justify it. Warbringer, which you will need to use charge in combat, is a much better use of that point.

Also, make sure you're making good use of blood and thunder. Your opener should to to charge, and then quickly cast rend followed by thunderclap in order to spread rend to the whole pack.
Edited by Keeblik on 5/2/2012 4:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It is also useful to understand how threat and threat tables work:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Threat

(some info out of data but the gist is there)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
As Keeblik said, skip Incite for now, you won't have the rage generation to make it work. Warbringer, however, is a gift from the gods of war. Keep Charge and Intercept within easy reach, and you'll get a pretty good idea just how mobile a war tank can be.

Also, a favorite addon of mine is Tidy Plates. I set it to tank spec on this toon so I can tell what's attacking me - small life bars - and what's attacking something else - very large and noticeable life bars.
Edited by Desumetal on 5/3/2012 7:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
One thing that will help tremendously is an addon called Tidy Plates and Threat Plates:
Seeing the enemy health bar change colors is a much faster way to determine when you have lost aggro

Really at low levels be sure you're in defensive stance, put up Rend and keep Thunder Clap on cooldown and you should keep all the AoE threat you need. If for some reason you are not able too get rage fast enough use Berserker Rage (lvl 54) converts damage taken to Rage.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Since you're a fairly new tank, best advice is: Control you party...

Tell them to give you 2-3 secs to grab adds (even more if need be). You more than likely will get DPS with heirlooms. If you are not sure what those are, it basically give people a huge boost (+ quicker XP).

Leveling my 1st alt as a tank, I did more DPS then most DPS at low levels because my baby pally was in full heirlooms.

So, if the DPS with heirlooms hit the mobs before you even get aggro, then they will pull off you specially because you are new and learning how to tank. Even without heirlooms, most people level multiple alts, so they know their class and rotation/priorities pretty well.

So yeah, tell them to give you 2-3 to get ads. Its better for them to wait 2-3 secs for you to get aggro, then you guys wipe and waste 5 mins getting back.

Here is a link to my UI + Addons I use for tanking, with explanation.

http://www.midnightcrusaders.com/forums/guild-forum/general-discussions/1439006-wow-ui-user-interface

Good luck.

~ Lola

p.s. If you get a hunter in your party, and he face-pulls, which they usually do, hence the term "huntard", let him die. It's fun watching them get mad for being stupid :O
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
05/03/2012 08:21 PMPosted by Evocator
If for some reason you are not able too get rage fast enough use Berserker Rage (lvl 54) converts damage taken to Rage

It does no such thing.

If your warrior is rage-starved, the only thing I can recommend is using Commanding Shout and Charging before a pull. That's 35 rage right there, just enough to Rend + TClap. With 3/3 in Shield Specialization, you'll generate rage very quickly so long as mobs are attacking you. If you have Warbringer, use Charge, Intervene, and Intercept to move around the field quickly: Charge will be a rage gain, while the others are a rage loss.

If you have trouble holding threat from a specific player who doesn't know how to control their threat (aka, stupid frost DK who pulls mobs with DG), use Vigilance on them. Once you get Intervene, use that to lower their total threat.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I dont know if others mentioned this yet, but experienced players with heirloom gear are often going to do so much damage that it will be very difficult to hold threat from them if you yourself do not have heirloom gear. There is nothing you can do about this at your level, but you can ask them to give you at least 2-3 seconds to gain a headstart in threat before they start attacking. Sometimes they are too stupid/proud/elitist/annoying/whatever to do that...... but it's worth a shot.
Reply Quote
55 Dwarf Death Knight
I dont know if others mentioned this yet, but experienced players with heirloom gear are often going to do so much damage that it will be very difficult to hold threat from them if you yourself do not have heirloom gear. There is nothing you can do about this at your level, but you can ask them to give you at least 2-3 seconds to gain a headstart in threat before they start attacking. Sometimes they are too stupid/proud/elitist/annoying/whatever to do that...... but it's worth a shot.

500%, and tanks (even without heirlooms) being the top DPS for 1-~65 trumps any arguments on this.
nope.

05/05/2012 07:03 PMPosted by Desumetal
It does no such thing.

Glyphed Zerker, which is the most mandatory minor for any class gives 5 rage on us (off GCD) and increases your rage gen from damage taken.
Edited by Lostaroll on 5/5/2012 10:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
05/05/2012 10:39 PMPosted by Lostaroll

500%, and tanks (even without heirlooms) being the top DPS for 1-~65 trumps any arguments on this.
nope.

This, veng in low level dungeons makes tanks kings of the dps meter. They just put out so much damage and a lot of dps dont have the tools to beat a tank yet with full veng stacks in low level dungeons.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior
I've tanked without it but tidyplates and MTLove2 are good starters as well. Tidyplates is a configurable nameplate addon and MTLove is a mouseover aggro indicator, so if person B has threat on a a little tooltip displaying their name will show over the mob that's currently aggro'ed to them.

Also losing aggro isn't a big deal in a dungeon for trash. Just hit your taunt, and not to say this will be the solution for every group you tank for but marking a first kill helps as well. As you go through dungeons more, it becomes a confidence thing as well. Learning which pulls are which, which mob does what. Not to say I've sat studied each mob but as a tank you become familiar with types of mobs and learn how to deal with them. For dungeons I would suggest gag order for those stray casters.

At your level, it's kind of a fustercluck just b/c y ou have alts and lowbies of all kinds just going balls deep, with probably as much uncertainty as you have right now. Again, it's just good practice in learning to overcome unexpected situations and just dealing with them.
Edited by Biooh on 5/6/2012 8:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
05/05/2012 11:04 PMPosted by Shaoran
This, veng in low level dungeons makes tanks kings of the dps meter. They just put out so much damage and a lot of dps dont have the tools to beat a tank yet with full veng stacks in low level dungeons.

Minor point, but vengeance has nothing to do with it. Nobody has a ton of health, which means you won't get a lot of AP from stacks of vengeance. It's fully because the base damage of tanks is very high and tanks typically have the best uptime and earliest access to working AoE.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
05/05/2012 10:39 PMPosted by Lostaroll
Glyphed Zerker, which is the most mandatory minor for any class gives 5 rage on us (off GCD) and increases your rage gen from damage taken.

Yes, it increases rage gen from damage, but does not convert damage taken into rage.

There's a difference.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Do the following:
Charge>Thunderclap>rend>cleave>Thunderclap.

You will not lose aggro in trash packs.

For bosses.

Charge>shield slam>devastate>rend>devastate>revenge when up>shield slam>devastate you will not lose aggro on bosses. keep using shield slam and devastate whenever off cd.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]