War College - Interrupts

Community Manager
This week, the topic of discussion is:

Interrupts - Stopping hard casts is an essential element of PvP combat in World of Warcraft. How do you ensure that your interrupts aren’t wasted? As a spell caster, what techniques do you use to make sure that your important spells aren’t interrupted?

The battlefields of World of Warcraft are littered with the bones of those who have become casualties in the ongoing conflict between the Horde and the Alliance. You do not need to become one of them. One of the keys to victory is knowledge, and that is where the World of Warcraft War College enters the picture. In these discussions between players, you can learn and share strategies with other players to improve your tactics and improve your odds of emerging victorious from the field of battle.

Are you a veteran Gladiator with countless victories tallied? Are you new to World of Warcraft and striving to improve your PvP skills? In this weekly feature, we invite players of all skill levels to ask questions, share tips and tactics, and join a conversation dedicated to surviving and thriving in World of Warcraft PvP.

Don’t forget to up-vote forum posts that are on-topic and helpful!

War College Rules:

• Stick to the rules. All posts should abide by the forum code of conduct and these War College forum thread guidelines. Feel free to disagree with each other, but please do so respectfully. When you express opposing opinions, focus on the idea, not its author, their rating, or perceived skill level.
  • Be constructive. The purpose of this thread is to share effective tactics and strategies; to adapt, overcome and become a better player based on current conditions. Claiming that a class, comp or strategy is overpowered isn’t conducive to learning better play and tends to just derail the discussion.
  • No soapboxes, please. This thread is for the community to discuss strategies and tactics amongst themselves, not to push individual opinions about game balance or design.
  • Please limit conjecture. Theorycrafting definitely has its place, but it’s best to keep the discussion focused, on-topic and practical.
  • Important: Please provide explanations and be prepared to provide evidence. These threads exist to elevate the level of strategic discussion on the forums. When appropriate, please provide examples illustrating tactics or techniques you believe to be effective. When using videos please post time stamps to help direct people to the specific points in the action to which you’re referring.
  • Ask questions! These threads aren’t just for experienced players, but also players who are learning the ropes or want to improve their skills. On the same token, don’t attack other players for asking questions.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
/stopcasting
/cast wind shear

this is godly as an elemental shaman as myself(shaman is my main)

EDIT: Yay first! I love you Daxxarri!
Edited by Turnofkhaos on 4/27/2012 7:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Since every melee has 25 interrupts on a 5s cd, juke juke juke.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Juking, may be the most useful thing a caster can do when they're getting pummeled on.
Reply Quote
fourth oh and macros
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Thank you for starting this thread...I am such a noob when it comes to interrupts, I get outplayed all the time by healers...how do I fix this? :(
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
Sorry to come off as nooby, but can someone really explain juking? Not sure I get it yet.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
all i can recommend, as a interrupter is to just keep them stunned for as long as possible, save the interrupt for the moment that they have to cast, or they die.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Interrupt spells when people cast them. That may be the best advice you could ever get.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
04/27/2012 07:38 PMPosted by Günter
Sorry to come off as nooby, but can someone really explain juking? Not sure I get it yet.

It is basically fake casting to get the enemy to waste their interrupt.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
It took me a while to make a conscious reminder that Death Grip interrupts as a last resort.
Reply Quote
91 Worgen Rogue
04/27/2012 07:38 PMPosted by Günter

you fake a cast I guess
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Forget to make this a sticky?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
/stopcasting
/cast wind shear

I personally use a mouseover windshear macro, it will WS the mouseover target if I have one, otherwise it'll shear my normal target.

#showtooltip Wind Shear
/stopcasting
/cast [@mouseover, exists, harm, nodead] Wind Shear; Wind Shear
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Juke is something a healer would do to fake you out from the interrupt. If I was to cast divine light and noticed a possible interrupt from the enemy I would just stop casting or move forward real quick and go back to casting then stop again ... thats juking
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I view interrupts in PvP as part of the larger conflict that is taking place.

• Repentance, Hammer of Justice, and Rebuke are all useful at different times.
  • I like to keep Repentance in my back pocket as a way of stopping an Evocation, Hymn, Tranq, etc. instead of buying myself a few free seconds of DoT ticks and time to hard cast a couple heals
  • I really hesitate to interrupt some casters like Fire Mages because they have access to so many schools of magic; lock them out of fire and you will find yourself eating a Frost Nova/Cone of Cold and catching up after a Blink
  • Try not to interrupt a Shadow spell from a Disc Priest; they will be at full health soon if you do
  • I consider what burst CDs I have available
  • Do I know the status of my opponent's PvP trinket?
  • Once you land an interrupt, count the seconds of the lockout and finish it with a stun if you can; this is very painful for a healer
  • If a healer is juking you, let them; they will need to hard cast at some point and if they manage to fake you out even then, a stun is a great card to play
  • Am I in a BG or Arena? Am I alone with this caster or are there (other) healers around? Stopping a Fireball but letting a full Penance go seems like an overall loss to me.
  • Edited by Hankscorpio on 4/27/2012 7:58 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    85 Draenei Shaman
    /stopcasting
    /cast wind shear

EDIT: Yay first! I love you Daxxarri!

Awww yea. Same macro ofc. I love Wind Shear!
    Reply Quote
    85 Blood Elf Hunter
    On the topic of AVOIDING being interrupted, let's say you're on a druid and you need to cast Cyclone or a heal, but you know they might interrupt you. One thing you can do is cast an arcane spell - such as Starfire - and let them interrupt you. By doing this, you can cast out of the school of magic you need (nature) without fear of being interrupted.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]