Any other tanks seen this in BH?

90 Dwarf Death Knight
Alizabel is a simple fight. Stack on boss except during bladestorm. When other tank gets skewered, taunt off them. But I keep running into tanks who without warning, halfway through the fight, will taunt off me 1-2 seconds before I'm due to get skewered so they get the debuff instead. Often catches me unawares so by the time I react and taunt they are dead.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
just taunt whenever you see the skewer message. If you don't have aggro you'll get it from the skewered tank. If you're the one skewered you can't taunt anyway. Problem is basically solved.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
1-2 seconds is more than enough time to react to the other tank taunting.
Reply Quote
89 Undead Death Knight
If they taunt and get skewered then you taunt and get her focus to stop her from hurting the other tank while skewered. Simple solution.

It really doesn't matter whether the tanks divide up the skewers or one takes them all. All that matters is that once either tank is skewered the other taunts immediately. If they die before you can taunt that means you're taking forever to taunt or they are so incredibly squishy that they couldn't take a second or two of damage.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Paladin
You should fix your UI if it isn't immediately apparent that you no longer have aggro on something.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
in my case, i always rip aggro in a flash when the stun wears off me.. i dont really care about it, max dps etc.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
The point is you're all keyed up to absorb the skewer, you've popped a cooldown. You're not really looking at the other tanks debuffs. But the other tank has taunted off you very shortly before the skewer and he's taken the skewer.

Your screen lights up, you unconsciously interpret this as you've taken the skewer, so you take a couple seconds to realize whats actually happened and then its too late. You should be 100% tuned in and aware of whats happening at all times of course, but its otherwise a very easy raid and easy to tune off, I suppose everyone has done it.

It seems every third attempt or so the other tank does this, and he'll usually do it halfway through when he's lulled you into a false complacency. Its really annoying.

just taunt whenever you see the skewer message

This is the way to go, but goes against everything every other raid teaches you. I'll try and remember to do this.
Edited by Murdina on 4/28/2012 9:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
04/28/2012 09:55 PMPosted by Murdina
This is the way to go, but goes against everything every other raid teaches you. I'll try and remember to do this.

I never have a regular raid group for BH... since the other tank is almost always a single serving co-tank one can't expect the coordination between tanks in a regular raid group using vent. Alizabel is (mostly) free loot... relax and don't think about it too much.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
04/28/2012 09:24 PMPosted by Mnemonic
You should fix your UI if it isn't immediately apparent that you no longer have aggro on something.

This.

I personally play with shadowed unit frames, I have my player frame, target and target of target all nice and big in the lower half of my screen in the middle. You cant afford to miss when your mob swaps targets.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
@Murdina: off-topic, but get a The Sun Eater to transmog with the Warlord's Iron set. Its a perfect match.

I'll look into that :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Murdina, some pallies are in the habit of using AS procs from Grand Crusader as part of their normal rotation (to generate holy power and more damage). I'm not sure if other tanks have a similar situation, or if it's just a miscommunication, but taunting for each impale should work either way. Also, a lot of tanks who haven't done tank-swaps before start with BH (or LFR).
Edited by Mistana on 4/29/2012 6:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
It's not tanks that usually mess up the BH runs I have been on lately, it's the incompetent dps that don't like to stack up on seething hate and then qq when they die.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
consider all sources.... still...to this day, there are tanks in raids that insist on adding their taunt to their rotation, to ensure they always have aggro. This is a stupid tactic. Almost as stupid as vigilance on the other tank on every fight. I have /cancelaura vigilance on every tank in my arsenal, just to remove that problem. and don't bother reapplying it, it is on every attack I have macroed to my attack bar, so no matter what you do, it will get pulled right back off. If the fight involves main tanking and you vig the soaker tank, and there is no taunting, that is one thing. Every fight that has taunting mechanic in it, you guys should know better.

There are tanks that have aggro issues because they forgot RF, blood presence or they are in the wrong stance. Or, there may be issues because a dps has those things on them. Approach it as problem solving, rather than baseless assumptions, and figure out the problem.

You may also be sorely outgeared. Or, if you are dealing with a high threat, low mitigation tank, like, say, a tank that has several dps pieces converted into makeshift tank gear, that can be a problem, as well. I usually at least look at the other tank to see what I will be up against if I have to taunt off or be taunted off. If I am sorely outgeared, it is the other tank's responsibility to back it off some. If I am highly overgeared, it is my responsibility to do the same.

Those things are usually the biggest tank teamwork problems, right there. The only other thing I can think of is not knowing the fight.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
04/29/2012 11:16 PMPosted by Melûsine
Almost as stupid as vigilance on the other tank on every fight.

lolwut, you do know that there is another part to vigilance other than the taunt refresh right?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
04/30/2012 03:08 AMPosted by Ruck
Almost as stupid as vigilance on the other tank on every fight.

lolwut, you do know that there is another part to vigilance other than the taunt refresh right?

All too well. It takes 20% of the threat on the target and gives it to the tank. This is why the other tank will not be able to maintain threat. You took a portion of that threat and added it to yours.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The point is you're all keyed up to absorb the skewer, you've popped a cooldown. You're not really looking at the other tanks debuffs. But the other tank has taunted off you very shortly before the skewer and he's taken the skewer.

Your screen lights up, you unconsciously interpret this as you've taken the skewer, so you take a couple seconds to realize whats actually happened and then its too late. You should be 100% tuned in and aware of whats happening at all times of course, but its otherwise a very easy raid and easy to tune off, I suppose everyone has done it.

It shouldn't be taking you so long to react to the fact that someone else got skewered. It's not like you're being skewered in real life, if you haven't noticed in the time it takes for a tank to die, you've literally been just sitting there looking at the screen for over 3 seconds just not doing anything whatsoever. For 3 reasons just sitting there looking at the screen and not doing anything is FAR too long to notice something that simple.

All too well. It takes 20% of the threat on the target and gives it to the tank. This is why the other tank will not be able to maintain threat. You took a portion of that threat and added it to yours.

Wrath of the Lich King called. It's asking you why you can't even remember it was 10% in Wrath and threat transfer has not existed in Cataclysm.

I have /cancelaura vigilance on every tank in my arsenal, just to remove that problem. and don't bother reapplying it, it is on every attack I have macroed to my attack bar, so no matter what you do, it will get pulled right back off. If the fight involves main tanking and you vig the soaker tank, and there is no taunting, that is one thing. Every fight that has taunting mechanic in it, you guys should know better.

/palmface

I really want to make a "It's just been revoked" reference right now.
Edited by Slashlove on 4/30/2012 4:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior

Umm, fairly sure it does not. So you're just griefing your co-tank every time you cancelaura.
Edited by Qaldiv on 4/30/2012 6:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior

Often catches me unawares so by the time I react and taunt they are dead.

Skewer hits like a limp noodle, and from the way you're handling the fight, I'd say you're focusing on the wrong things. Like the people above have said, just taunt after a skewer. If you're the one targeted by it, you'll be stunned and unable to taunt. If you're not, then you should have taunted anyway.
Reply Quote
14 Dwarf Hunter
04/30/2012 04:33 AMPosted by Melûsine

not anymore, now it grants 20% of the AP from vengeance to the warrior. NOT threat.

all you're doing by canceling it is reducing overall raid DPS.

Vigilance
30 yd range
Focus your protective gaze on a party or raid member. Each time they are hit by an attack, your Taunt cooldown is refreshed and you gain Vengeance as if 20% of the damage was done to you. Lasts 30 min. This effect can only be on one target at a time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]