Making party questing possible.

90 Night Elf Hunter
Can it happen?

I was thinking rather then reduce experience gained, just make all PvE creatures become tougher. (like diablo.) so then the challenge and length is retained while you can still quest with your best friends!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
To be honest, I never got why that was an issue. Questing and leveling should be faster in a group. Not required, but faster by virtue of it's very nature. It's kind of silly when we get a quest to collect 10 dung beetles, and it ends up taking two to three times as long in a group because we're fighting for dung beetle drops and constantly waiting for them to respawn. I never did understand why those kinds of items aren't shared by the group. WoW is an inherently social game, and I don't see why grouping to get things done isn't encouraged, and in some cases is harder than doing it yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
04/28/2012 09:48 PMPosted by Arianord
To be honest, I never got why that was an issue. Questing and leveling should be faster in a group. Not required, but faster by virtue of it's very nature. It's kind of silly when we get a quest to collect 10 dung beetles, and it ends up taking two to three times as long in a group because we're fighting for dung beetle drops and constantly waiting for them to respawn. I never did understand why those kinds of items aren't shared by the group. WoW is an inherently social game, and I don't see why grouping to get things done isn't encouraged, and in some cases is harder than doing it yourself.

Completely agree with you, Blizzard should definitely make more incentives to go out and do things with strangers or your friends including our leveling experience.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/28/2012 09:50 PMPosted by Lorandia

Completely agree with you, Blizzard should definitely make more incentives to go out and do things with strangers or your friends including our leveling experience.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
04/28/2012 09:50 PMPosted by Lorandia
Completely agree with you
As do I.

I really like the idea of leveling with a friend rather than soloing stuff, & all drops should count for each person rather than "I get one, you get one, I get one, you get one" since each time we're only getting one item anyways. >_<
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
I constantly level my alts with a really close friend of mine, and quest looting can be horrible to the point of "I'm about to punch my computer!" There have been times when one of us has gotten all the quest items and the other person has only gotten one. It doesn't seem very group friendly at all.
DROP EQUALLY PLEASE AND TY!!!!!!!! Or make quest items drop for everyone instead of just one person.
Edited by Praematura on 4/28/2012 11:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Priest
Can it happen?

I was thinking rather then reduce experience gained, just make all PvE creatures become tougher. (like diablo.) so then the challenge and length is retained while you can still quest with your best friends!

Your experience gain is not reduced when you are in a group; it is in fact increased.

This is how your group experience is calculated (from WoWWiki):

XP = MXP/numberOfMembers * modifier

1 person group = 1.0
2 person group = 1.0
3 person group = 1.166
4 person group = 1.3
5 person group = 1.4
Edited by Cubcakes on 4/28/2012 11:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Can it happen?

Your experience gain is not reduced when you are in a group; it is in fact increased.

1 person group = 1.0
2 person group = 1.0
3 person group = 1.166
4 person group = 1.3
5 person group = 1.4

To clarify, these are the ratios at which you get experience, not the modifier from the equation you listed?

At any rate, it's not experience game that's the issue, it's distribution of quest items that causes a severe issue when leveling and questing in a group. It's very frustrating to have finished your quest 10 minutes ago, but be waiting for a friend to finish her's because all of the mobs are dead. The "simple" fix of allowing quest items to be shared amongst party members would alleviate this issue.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Priest

1 person group = 1.0
2 person group = 1.0
3 person group = 1.166
4 person group = 1.3
5 person group = 1.4

To clarify, these are the ratios at which you get experience, not the modifier from the equation you listed?

At any rate, it's not experience game that's the issue, it's distribution of quest items that causes a severe issue when leveling and questing in a group. It's very frustrating to have finished your quest 10 minutes ago, but be waiting for a friend to finish her's because all of the mobs are dead. The "simple" fix of allowing quest items to be shared amongst party members would alleviate this issue.

The modifers are listed below the equation. As you can see, from 3 persons up, you begin to get XP bonus until 40% bonus for a five-person group.

Even if you are slowed down on few collect X number of Y quests where mob scarcity becomes a factor, that will be more than balanced by the numerous kill X number of Y quests, which a group completes much faster.
Edited by Cubcakes on 4/29/2012 12:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

The modifers are listed below the equation. As you can see, from 3 persons up, you begin to get XP bonus until 40% bonus for a five-person group.

Even if you are slowed down on few collect X number of Y quests where mob scarcity becomes a factor, that will be more than balanced by the numerous kill X number of Y quests, which a group completes much faster.

Perhaps, but in such a case why not get rid of the math and just allow quest items to be shared? It seems like a much easier and less frustrating way of handling the situation.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I do agree that the item needs to get fixed, but it also is so easy in a group that it makes me a little sad. I want to quest with a group and find that monsters actually hurt unless my friend comes to help. :P
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Priest

Perhaps, but in such a case why not get rid of the math and just allow quest items to be shared? It seems like a much easier and less frustrating way of handling the situation.

What do you mean get rid of the math? Maths isn't something you add or get rid of.

In any case, there is zero frustration (or should be) to be had from group questing, at least not from the way quest drops and mob XP is handled. The current model already rewards questing in groups by allowing you to finish a great majority of quests faster for same quest XP while receiving, at least from groups of 3, bonus XP.

04/29/2012 09:15 AMPosted by Lorandia
I do agree that the item needs to get fixed, but it also is so easy in a group that it makes me a little sad. I want to quest with a group and find that monsters actually hurt unless my friend comes to help. :P

This is inevitable, though. Many hands make light work! And if you want to tackle harder monsters, well, there are dungeons for that.
Edited by Cubcakes on 4/29/2012 9:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

This is inevitable, though. Many hands make light work! And if you want to tackle harder monsters, well, there are dungeons for that.

No offence, but dungeons are a joke when it comes to difficulty at 1-60, its just a grind fest. >_<
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Priest

No offence, but dungeons are a joke when it comes to difficulty at 1-60, its just a grind fest. >_<

Yeah, but dungeon mobs are harder to kill than normal mobs. But then I suppose someone who thinks you can "get rid of the math" wouldn't understand that.

In any case, it is beyond idiocy to ask for a buff to group questing when the game already gives huge rewards to group questing over solo questing. If you and your friends don't want to group even then, at this point that's clearly because you don't like group questing, not because Blizzard's game-design prevents you from it (aside from some phasing issues, but those are not the issues you brought up).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Yeah, but dungeon mobs are harder to kill than normal mobs. But then I suppose someone who thinks you can "get rid of the math" wouldn't understand that.

In any case, it is beyond idiocy to ask for a buff to group questing when the game already gives huge rewards to group questing over solo questing. If you and your friends don't want to group even then, at this point that's clearly because you don't like group questing, not because Blizzard's game-design prevents you from it (aside from some phasing issues, but those are not the issues you brought up).

Perhaps you misunderstood me. When I said "get rid of the math," I meant the behind-the-scenes XP adjustment, and instead alter the distribution of quest loot, which is the actual, obvious "on-the-table" effect of group questing. YES it lets you do kill quests faster, but it also makes collection quests incredibly frustrating. Why have something passively fixing the active problem behind the scenes, when you could just do away with the problem instead?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
I have no problem with more incentive. But required? No way.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I've tried leveling with friends.

It never works.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Priest

Perhaps you misunderstood me. When I said "get rid of the math," I meant the behind-the-scenes XP adjustment, and instead alter the distribution of quest loot, which is the actual, obvious "on-the-table" effect of group questing. YES it lets you do kill quests faster, but it also makes collection quests incredibly frustrating. Why have something passively fixing the active problem behind the scenes, when you could just do away with the problem instead?

Eh, first off, sorry about my snappy post. I always get annoyed when people come out with "No offense" crap.

Now the topic at hand. First, no, it is not a good idea to get rid of the group XP bonus. The modifiers are there to encourage grouping, especially in dungeons. If Blizzard got rid of the group bonus, then one of two things will happen:

1. Mob XP stays the same, a five-man group in a dungeon gets massively reduced XP; or

2. Mob XP is bumped up so the XP gain in a five-man group will be the same as before--but! this means a person soloing a dungeon will gain five times the XP, something we do not want to see.

Second, group questing is already heavily favored. Why do people need still more incentive to play together?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I agree with this thread.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]