New Tank help plz

22 Tauren Warrior
Hi guys first time player here.

Started a couple of characters and they have mostly been dps and was wanting to learn how to tank and now that im lvl 15 i want to jump in and do it but i have no idea how to tank. so please give me some basic tips or help on how to tank low lvl dungeons.

Thanks
Reply Quote
22 Tauren Warrior
Thanks for the advice.
What is the difference between tanking as a pally and tanking as a warrior?
Havent played a pally yet so not sure how that would work.
Reply Quote
22 Tauren Warrior
Thanks for the help.
seems like there are no drawbacks to tanking as a pally and no benefits to tanking as a warrior so ill give it a shot.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest

Started a couple of characters and they have mostly been dps and was wanting to learn how to tank and now that im lvl 15 i want to jump in and do it but i have no idea how to tank. so please give me some basic tips or help on how to tank low lvl dungeons.

Thanks

Just some basic tips for any tank

-Identify your skills that generate high threat or that keep things on you.

-Study the dungeon map and ask other players if you need help navigating, otherwise you are the leader and will direct the group. Try to learn the instance as you do it.

-Keep an eye on the healer, they need mana and to be with you in order to keep you up.

-Pull slowly, as you gain more confidence as a tank you can begin to pull bigger

-Grab gear with stamina and/or dodge/parry rating, for you mail will be ideal until 40 when
you want to get plate. Strength will help you keep threat but is not your primary stat.

-If anything is attacking another party member use your taunt or high threat skills to get the mobs off them. If you find that people are pulling ask them to please stop or slow down so you can maintain threat. Don't be afraid to tell the group that you are new to tanking, if they are experienced players they might be patient with you and might even give you tips.

Tanking is really fun and not too hard once you get into the groove of it, but like all roles it takes practice.

EDIT: Just another thing, you might feel ill-equipped at 15 because of your lack of abilities for tanking. They will start rounding out from 15-40 while you begin to get more tanking skills. If you find that you don't have enough abilities to be a competent tank at 15 try leveling until you get some more of those core abilities.
Edited by Monmonn on 4/29/2012 7:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
22 Tauren Warrior
Thanks for the tips.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Req
Thanks for the help.
seems like there are no drawbacks to tanking as a pally and no benefits to tanking as a warrior so ill give it a shot.

They're both equally viable, they guy you got the advice from is just going to skew the positive points towards Paladin because they're really OP for tanking at the lower levels...and obviously because he's playing a Paladin. Once you get higher all the tanks just about equal out, and at max level any one of the 4 tanks in the game are just as good as the others.

The only difference is certain people/guilds prefer certain classes due to raid comp, but you don't have to worry about that until much later down the line.

Monmonn gave you great advice, since I don't tank much myself I don't have anything to add to that. I do, however, HIGHLY recommend that you check out this guide titled "So You Want To Be A Tank - A Beginner's Guide" that's posted on the tanking forums of this website: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1772568258

Edit for fail spelling.
Edited by Erébös on 4/29/2012 9:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
I don't really have much to add here. The above advice has all been very good. I tank on both warrior and pally. They are very different, but both viable.

As a warrior it is harder to establish aoe aggro, especially at low levels. Blood and Thunder is crucial here, once you can spec for it. What it means practically is that warriors generally need one extra spell to generate threat, compared to pallys (and druids).

At low levels, this is less of a problem. The dps is gonna think they can handle it without you, anyway. They'll all pull, and you get good practice pulling the mobs off them. Generally this works just fine, as long as your healer is on the ball.

Pally may be the easier system to learn on. It's where I really learned to tank (at level 60, on the Ramparts). But I <3 warrior tanking now! VERY fun once you learn the system!
Reply Quote
well i have a warrior on horde side, but on a pally you have righteous fury, meaning you automatically aggro (on a warrior, at least at low level, you need to manually aggro, sure you have defensive stance, but still...).

defensive stance == righteous fury. If you're in Defensive stance you get the same aggro buff as righteous fury. Also Warriors have self heals with victory rush as long as stuff is being killed.

Warriors are just as viable tanks as Paladins. I prefer a paladin because I don't particularly like the rage mechanic but it's up to you.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
As a Warrior, you'll have to Charge, Rend, Thunderclap the group. After that, I'd look at running past the mobs and turning around - so you are facing the rest of your party. This does two things:

1. It gets the enemy's backs turned to the rest of your party - so they can score more damage on them hitting them from behind.

2. It makes it so you are looking at your party - this makes it easier for you to see an enemy charging your mage or healer, and pull it off them.

Keep your taunt handy.

I'd also recommend visiting Curse.com and grabbing the add ons "Tidy Plates" and "Threat Plates."

That way, if you lose the attention of an enemy, their bar will turn red - and you'll know you have to start attacking them to get them back on you. Green bars will mean they're focused on you and everything is OK.

Be sure to keep an eye on your healer's mana bar. When that runs out - you die. So don't go pulling another pack of enemies when the healer is running on empty.

Also, the general rule is - if the healer dies - it's probably your fault. So make protecting them your first priority. You should also protect the DPS whenever you can - but if they keep pulling enemies onto themselves, you may be forced to let them fend for themselves. Don't lose sleep over it.

Also - check out this website for good maps and strategies for beginning dungeons:

http://mapsfortanks.com/the-maps/
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
tanking...is basically walking ahead of the group and grabbing all the mobs on you. an taunting back / recovering mobs that aren't on you.

its nothing fancy. just pay attention to what they'redoing, your party's health and your healer's mana.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior

Thanks

Warrior tanking is very easy. The key to doing it well is managing your rage, particularly in between fights. You want to start the next fight with as much rage as possible. If you let your rage fall away, you will be fighting flat-footed and your party will eat you alive.

At level 16, I'd talent into Blood and Thunder and Toughness. You'll want to aim for Warbringer as soon as you can, because that will let you start fights with Charge in Defensive Stance (until then, you can only use Charge in Battle Stance, which means you really can't use Charge when tanking). Unfortunately, Warrior tanking is facepalm until level 33 or so, when you can afford both Bastion of Defense and Warbringer.

So, until you reach level 35 or so, you will be pulling with Taunt or Throw. Put up your Rend on the first monster to reach your melee range and Thunder Clap as soon as the rest are gathered around you. This is the only way to pull until you get Charge. Once you have Rend on every monster in the group you've pulled, just keep casting Thunder Clap as often as you can.

At such a low level, you will be using Taunt+Heroic Strike a lot. Someone will pull a monster and you will be required to taunt it back to you and use HS to climb above everyone else in threat on that particular monster. For a long while, the strategy will be to use Thunder Clap (and Blood & Thunder) to hold the entire pack on you, then "spot welding" aggro on anything that people pull off of you with their own attacks.

Cast Victory Rush as often as you can. VR will proc late in the fight, and between the damage you deal to the target and your self-heal aggro, it is a significant boost to threat when your party is probably using their own procs and coming close to topping your threat.

Back to the rage management "problem". Do not overload a monster with threat, because at some point it represents wasted rage. If you've topped everyone on a monster, tab-target to the next monster and dump a bunch of threat on it, too (Heroic Strike, Sunder Armor, etc). Late into the fight, you might see that monsters die long before the killing player can pull aggro from you, so you'll find a sweet spot where you can start slacking off and "bank rage" for the next fight.

In between fights, keep an eye on your healer's mana. There is a tug-of-war between the two bars: your rage and healer's mana. As soon as the healer seems to be ready for another fight pull again quickly (it shouldn't take long, but you don't want to exhaust your healer, know what I mean).

Running through a dungeon with as warrior tank should be like driving a tank in Grand Theft Auto: if you stop, you die. Keep up your speed, go as quickly as your healer can handle, and don't stop killing. If you keep your rage bar full you can always dump a Heroic Strike on an errant mob, and you will be able to keep casting Thunder Clap like clockwork.

Once you're good at it, you may even be able to drag a monster from the last pack to a new pack and spread Rend to the new pack without having to waste rage on applying it fresh. Once you reach level 35, though, almost everything about warrior tanking changes. When you get Shield Block and Warbringer, you'll need to come ask the forums for advice again
Edited by Cosimo on 4/30/2012 6:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
78 Blood Elf Priest
This is all great advice. The key to a dungeon is the relationship between the Healer and the Tank. You are the two people keeping everyone else alive. As a healer, my number one priority is the tank. In the lower level dungeons, it is really hard, not because the tank isn't doing his/her job, but because the DPS players don't know what they are doing and draw aggro. This makes the tank weak, and the healer exhausted. Don't be hard on yourself if you all wipe. It happens to everyone and is how you learn. You'll also need to grow some thick skin because when wipes occur, everyone will blame either you or the Healer. Just shake it off.

Also, for what it's worth, I prefer to dungeon with Warriors tanks over Pallys. It's just a personal preference but in my experience, Warriors hold up better to beatings and keep health longer. I've had Pally tanks whose health plummeted every 30 seconds, taking all my mana (and supplemental mana potions) versus Warriors who were a piece of cake to heal.
Reply Quote
Also, for what it's worth, I prefer to dungeon with Warriors tanks over Pallys. It's just a personal preference but in my experience, Warriors hold up better to beatings and keep health longer. I've had Pally tanks whose health plummeted every 30 seconds, taking all my mana (and supplemental mana potions) versus Warriors who were a piece of cake to heal.

I think you've just gotten some poorly geared Paladins. I play all 4 healing classes regularly and only Druids and DKs drop that fast if they're properly geared and both those have healing mechanics they should be using in their rotation to compensate for that. They drop that fast because Druids don't have parry or Block and DKs don't have block.
Reply Quote
70 Orc Hunter
tankspot.com is a good resource for tanks. Lots of class info and videos describing various dungeons/fights from a tanking perspective.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest

I also don't have trouble healing any class of tank just specific cases of them *grumble grumble prot pally in holy gear grumble grumble*

Remember

All tanks can tank

All healers can heal

All DPS can DPS

There are some level ranges where one class or another struggles, example low level warriors and bears can sometimes find themselves rage starved New DK's may have threat issues until they get a few of their core abilities etc etc but once you hit level cap the class doesn't matter the skill of the player does.

Skill>>Gear>>Spec>>Class/race combo.

OP if you want to tank the best advice I can give you is to pop in there and give it a try. One can read and study up on something all day but there's no substitution for actually getting in there and doing it. I think the single biggest issue you'll have at first is getting your group to actually let you pull and tank for the first 20 or so levels the dungeon finder is available.

Also don't be afraid to check out the Tanking and Warrior forums. While a lot of the guides are geared more for end game there is some helpful information for all aspiring tanks.
Reply Quote
[quote]

Remember

All tanks can tank

All healers can heal

All DPS can DPS

But even a level 380-something Arms Warrior can cause you to wipe 3 times in a row on General Umbriss if he refuses to switch to Prot Spec or even pick up a durn shield. (And I don't mean in a Heroic dungeon).

You are asking questions, which means you'll do well - the hardest thing I've found so far in trying to level a tank after running other roles is that it's easy to lose sight of the fact that your job really isn't damage - it's control of the engagement.

Some of the worst tanks I've ever run with did the most damage, and some of the easiest, fastest runs were with a tank that came in way down the list in overall damage. Control of the engagement, skill (knowing your spells and cooldowns) and control of the engagement, and a high level of awareness of your group, your surroundings - still more control are what make a great tank.

<S>
Reply Quote
04/30/2012 09:06 AMPosted by Sylth
But even a level 380-something Arms Warrior can cause you to wipe 3 times in a row on General Umbriss if he refuses to switch to Prot Spec or even pick up a durn shield. (And I don't mean in a Heroic dungeon).

That's because an arms warrior is not a tank, even with a shield.
Reply Quote
04/30/2012 09:06 AMPosted by Sylth
the hardest thing I've found so far in trying to level a tank after running other roles is that it's easy to lose sight of the fact that your job really isn't damage - it's control of the engagement.

This. The tank distracts mobs, the DPS does the DPSing.
Edited by Jakjak on 4/30/2012 9:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]