DeathKnights of Wyrmrest Accord

90 Worgen Death Knight
Before reading, please note this is mostly a copy/paste of afflikshin's warlock thread post, because it's already in a decent format, and I like annoying him.

Hello Death Knights, while everyone knows we are indeed the best class (in reality firemages/rogues will wreck us QQ) not everyone knows how to max out their Death Knight. Unlike most classes the DeathKnight can actually be fairly easy to learn/play, but a bit harder to play at a higher level to juice out the most damage you can. For example, I can take a starting DK with no t13 bonuses, and still pull more at ilevel 388ish than a fully normal DS deathknight, simply because I know how to play the class just that little bit better. Not to say that person is bad, by all means he is not, it just takes that little bit extra to really dish out the sim numbers the class is capable of. I'm here today to offer advice to any and all aspiring Death Knights out there who wish to raid at any level, whether it be casual, more higher heroic raiding, or anything in between.

Recently our guild has been the target of false rumors and random hate, I'd like to take this chance to change our image by helping to progress the PvE community on WrA starting with my class.

If you are interested in the Jace school for Death Knights, reply here or try to catch me in game. I'm willing to help with any questions about specs/glyphs/rotations/gems/specific fight strategys for deathknights or anything else Death Knight/raid related.

I know Death Knights aren't the easiest class to play to their fullest potential, but with my help I'm sure you'll see improvement in yourself and your raid as a whole. If this idea takes off I'm willing to get it started with other classes as well. This server already has great people, I'd like to see more raiding teams popping up.

PS: You can just PST me in game at any time, if I don't respond I might be working, but if I see your message I will be more than happy to help you out. There is nothing I like more than a Death Knight actively trying to improve themselves, and I will do everything I can to help you!

If I'm not on jace, I might be on wuff / Mindsculptor, so try those name as well.

Addons: These are the addons I like to use while DPSing
Needtoknow - tracks everything from Pillar of frost CDs, blood tap CD, Frost/Blood Plague, outbreak CD, Shadow infusion stacks, time remaining on Dark Transformation, and more!

Acherus Rune Watcher - Useful for tracking runes/runic power, because let's face it, the blizzard default rune UI is horrible.

Those are my 2 main Addons that I love to death, and honestly couldn't play a DK without anymore.Reforges: I use the website wowreforge.com for reforges. This site is absolutely superior to askmrrobot.com, and will give you the perfect min/max stats for what settings you put in.

Stat weights for wowreforge as frost DW:
Hit: 3.14
Exp: 2.48
Haste: 1.92
Mastery: 1.90
Crit: 1.68

Frost 2h Stat Weights:
Hit: 3.18
Exp: 2.53
Haste: 1.74
Mastery: 1.86
Crit: 1.69

Master Frost Stat Weights: (always dual wield)
Hit: 2.22
Exp: 2.32
Haste: 2.06
Mastery: 2.15
Crit: 1.73

Make sure for all 3 of the frost specs posted above, you get your hit and expertise to the soft caps. Wowreforge will automatically do this for you.

Unholy stat weights no gurth:
Hit: 3.00
Haste: 1.89
Crit: 1.85
Mastery: 1.55
Exp: 0.99

Unholy Stat weights WITH Gurth:
Hit: 3.90
Haste: 2.50
Crit: 2.11
Mastery: 2.19
Exp: 1.43

For both of these unholy specs, on wowreforge you want to click the drag down under Hit/Exp and change it from "At least" to "close to" that will make it only go into exp if it's a dps gain, which it almost never is.

Blood is the easiest to reforge. If it doesnt have mastery on it, reforge the stat that will give you the highest mastery. If it does have mastery, reforge the other stat into dodge. If it has both mastery and dodge on it, you are perfect. Do not reforge away either stats (unless say, an item has both dodge and parry, and the parry stat is 100ish and the dodge stat is 400ish, then you will reforge the dodge to mastery)

As for tank gems, red sockets use the parry/mastery gem, blue use the mastery/stam gems, and yellow use the pure mastery gems. There is no mastery cap so just go bonkers to mastery.
Edited by Jace on 5/2/2012 3:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
I'll bite. This class is the one that has me interested most in the long run, unless Monk surpasses that expectation.

I'll start off first regarding my gemming/reforging/enchanting. I believe I should have it correct, but if anything is wrong, let me know.

Also, regarding Masterfrost: How much better is Masterfrost than the cookie cutter Frost build?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I'll bite. This class is the one that has me interested most in the long run, unless Monk surpasses that expectation.

I'll start off first regarding my gemming/reforging/enchanting. I believe I should have it correct, but if anything is wrong, let me know.

Also, regarding Masterfrost: How much better is Masterfrost than the cookie cutter Frost build?

Only thing I see is the obvious shoulder enchant, your hit is slightly high (but it doesn't matter too much honestly). The socket matching in your ring is fine unless of course you have epic reds, then you should put an epic red in the valor ring. In regards to master frost, I usually hovered around the 40-43k range on heroic ultraxion, and last week was the first week I actually tried doing master frost in a heroic DS run. I think my dps was almost 46k, with me messing up the rotation a few times, so I would def. think if you can play it pretty good, you should of course go mastery frost. a dps increase of 3k+ is something to pay attention to :)
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight

Only thing I see is the obvious shoulder enchant, your hit is slightly high (but it doesn't matter too much honestly). The socket matching in your ring is fine unless of course you have epic reds, then you should put an epic red in the valor ring. In regards to master frost, I usually hovered around the 40-43k range on heroic ultraxion, and last week was the first week I actually tried doing master frost in a heroic DS run. I think my dps was almost 46k, with me messing up the rotation a few times, so I would def. think if you can play it pretty good, you should of course go mastery frost. a dps increase of 3k+ is something to pay attention to :)

Would a No'kaled run better than say...my current Souldrinker right now due to Mastery increasing the Frost portion of the proc?
Edited by Spellbreaker on 4/29/2012 11:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight

Would a No'kaled run better than say...my current Souldrinker right now due to Mastery increasing the Frost portion of the proc?

I keep wanting to test this, but our stupid rogue/shaman keep taking the no'kaleds that drop. I have looked at all the top parses, and on ultraxion I def. see them all using no'kaled. So that's something.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes you b-----rd frost dks stop taking souldrinker from me!
Edited by Layam on 4/29/2012 11:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This is an interesting offer - wait... brb
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
Ok, back. This is an interesting offer. I hardly log in anymore (though recently more than before) because i'm feeling a bit tired of MMOs in general. I thought it was just WoW, but even another i played in the meantime... it's the grind, but that's another topic.

Just what form would this 'coaching' take? how would you go about it? BTW, my gear is low - i haven't raided this expansion. I just don't feel confident enough. I've only started to do Twilight heroics in randoms... and not with this character. Just so you know: i DPS with pugs, never tank. (But i am in my tanking gear - just for looks, right now)

EDIT - goodness, i have an empty socket! O.O
Edited by Eza on 4/29/2012 12:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I'll give you a try as well. I am always open to constructive criticism and suggestions on how to maximize my performance...you know, if I ever start raiding >.>

Also, what is this "Masterfrost" Spellbreaker mentioned?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
04/29/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Layam
Yes you b-----rd frost dks stop taking souldrinker from me!

But it's BiS on single target fights for Frost DKs using the haste setup.

Ok, back. This is an interesting offer. I hardly log in anymore (though recently more than before) because i'm feeling a bit tired of MMOs in general. I thought it was just WoW, but even another i played in the meantime... it's the grind, but that's another topic.

Just what form would this 'coaching' take? how would you go about it? BTW, my gear is low - i haven't raided this expansion. I just don't feel confident enough. I've only started to do Twilight heroics in randoms... and not with this character. Just so you know: i DPS with pugs, never tank. (But i am in my tanking gear - just for looks, right now)

If you have questions on reforges, gems, enchants, etc. Rotations, how I do things, when I do things, what addons I use, etc. If you have seen any of the videos I have uploaded (Just a madness kill) you will see my addons and how I play etc.

I'll give you a try as well. I am always open to constructive criticism and suggestions on how to maximize my performance...you know, if I ever start raiding >.>

Also, what is this "Masterfrost" Spellbreaker mentioned?

Instead of prioritizing Haste > mastery > crit it goes mastery > haste > crit and uses Howling blast way more than obliterate, only using obliterate when your 2nd unholy runes comes off CD with blood plague being on the target.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
Btw, I can also help answer some of the more basic stuff. The more advanced stuff (such as Masterfrost) I'll leave for Jace to answer.

For starters, while 2H Frost -can- be done technically, Dual-Wielding Frost is much more superior. Grab 2 1h strength weapons from the HoT heroics (Treachery's Bite is preferable since it has haste in it). If you're adamant on doing 2h playstyle, my recommendation is going Unholy since you'll do more damage. You can copy my current spec (5/31/5) for dual-wielding.

As far as reforging goes: Strength > Yellow Hit to Cap > Expertise to Cap > Haste > Mastery > Crit

wowreforge.com is a really helpful website that'll help reforge your stats appropriately based on class/spec, and you can adjust the stat weight values (say if you are Unholy. Reg Unholy has a set value priority which changes if you get Gurthalak).
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I'll have to update my OP with all stat weights that I use etc.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
bump
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
Bumping for Jace.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Bump for the Profs. <3.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
Bumping because I'm waiting for my LFR queue.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
bump
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]