Harvest Life or Malefic grasp for PVP & Lvlin

90 Orc Warlock
Hi Guys,

Having played on the beta, I am currently torn beween Harvest Life and Malefic grasp. While levelling, I find it more efficient to use MG but over aperiod of time, as i life tap, I have no way of getting back my HP from the dots, which essentially forces me to use DL.

So, when we make it to live, which do you forsee? MG or Harvest Life for PVP?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
MG gives 100% faster tick time on our dot spells ,and deals tons more damedge than harvest. Although harvest provides heaing that MG doesen't taking Dark regen or soul leech would be better for pvp. Even if it seems that harvest is better when it comes live there will be even less of a contest between the two as blizz doesen't even want us thinking about using drain life as a filler. I may have ansered your questin wrong if you were talking about low levels harvest might be better since pre 85 is aoe everthing.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I expect our health regen reworked. They're brilliant wishes for our class don't meet reality or player preference.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
If you need health (as in below 60% or how ever much you need to not be two shotted), then do whatever it takes to get your health back up the most efficiently. A dead dps does no dps (except for those dots still ticking away >.> ). The longer you take the heal up, the longer you take to get back to your main rotation and they're also a chance you could take a hit that knocks you below your remaining health.

Maybe it's just me, but I always value utility and self preservation over topping the charts.
Edited by Tecxero on 5/2/2012 6:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
05/02/2012 03:26 AMPosted by Omelete
MG gives 100% faster tick time on our dot spells ,and deals tons more damedge than harvest. Although harvest provides heaing that MG doesen't taking Dark regen or soul leech would be better for pvp. Even if it seems that harvest is better when it comes live there will be even less of a contest between the two as blizz doesen't even want us thinking about using drain life as a filler. I may have ansered your questin wrong if you were talking about low levels harvest might be better since pre 85 is aoe everthing.

Right, so from an arena perspective, getting soul leech might be good if i use a DPS combo in 2's. So, essentially, I am looking at something like:

sap healer--> work on other partner to force trinket (or Racial)
Healer blows trinket (or racial) --> Rogue Blinds healer to force trinket (or racial)

Warlock still works on the dps, relying on glyph of siphon life and soul leech for health back

Healer come out of blind --> Howl of Terror + Demonic portal out (since Warlock will be within healer and dps range)

Warlock then goes full burst on DPS --> Haunt + Soulburn: Soul swap Exhale (instantly applies all dots) + Demon Soul + Malefic grasp.

Warlock stops MG to blood fear heals or soul burn: Fear heals (Soulburn fear provides a deathcoil effect)

And I havent even begun to factor in how using demonic gateway in an arena map will fit :P

What do you guys think?
Reply Quote
5 Human Priest
Soulburn Fear has been removed. Before it was removed it was sharing DR with fear instead of horror, and broke after some damage.

Glyph of Siphon Life doesn't heal for 4% of our health, but rather 4% of the damage corruption does. May have changed.

Soul leech isn't very good. It's more of a PVE thing. Dark Regeneration will probably be your choice, though some may opt for HL because it heals slightly more (it doesn't heal 3-4.5% per target, but rather up to 4.5%, depending on how many targets).

Soul Burn Drain Life or Harvest Life is a significant heal and has a 1 minute cooldown. Getting an opportunity to complete this cast will be a significant heal. Unending Resolve may be used to ensure it isn't interrupted (you can still be silenced and stunned).

Glyphed Healthstones are also a 40% heal / 10 seconds on a 2 minute cooldown.

With Soul Link, you essentially get double the benefit from Dark Regeneration. Soul link works a lot differently, and can be canceled. Acquaint yourself with how it works. The damage and healing it redirects is variable, but essentially you can consider you and your pets health pools to be the same. If you're at 1% health and summon a new 100% health pet and soul link it, you will absorb absurd amounts of damage until both you and your pet die at the same time.

It has drawbacks, but that's when you can cancel Soul Link.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
k, so wait... 15% of health and mana back of total damage done is not a significant enough a draw to go with that talent?

Can someone please confirm this?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
It will be both.

Explanation.
Currently the mannoroths fury talent reads, increases the radius of your aoe abilities by 200%. IE harvest life gains 30 yards, plus its 15 so 45 yard range until we know otherwise from level 90 testing.

So this means that even though dots have been nerfed it will create almost the same amount of pressure to dot everyone and then harvest life spam, when a dispel goes off (8 sec cd) and your partner has burst ready, you haunt the non dispelled target and start casting MG, which will put out huge burst.

Personally with the changes if beta were to go live today I think shadowplay would be the most over powered comp.

Priest can train a 40 second CD that does a ton of aoe damage and healing, they have void shift, they get instant mind spike procs that don't remove dots and stack 2 times, they get a 6 second vanish, root effect, 3 second range immunity, mass dispel for cross dispels, 45 sec cd on silence/horror (4 sec duration now), power infusion.

Add that to the fact that warlocks can also spec for a mini mass dispel and you have the team with the most cross dispels at your disposal.

So think about this, dots scale dynamically with haste right? So here's how shadowplay would pressure burst and then burst.

Spriest/lock put up dots on everything dispel goes off redot the target, hit demon soul for the lock (30%haste) hit power infusion for the spriest (20% haste) and everything rots, after the next dispel (if their is one) or when significant pressure is built, the lock casts haunt on the lowest target and starts MG, the spriest drops his 2 instant mindspikes and then goes to ms/mb or just mind flay depending on the situation.
Reply Quote
5 Human Priest
k, so wait... 15% of health and mana back of total damage done is not a significant enough a draw to go with that talent?

Can someone please confirm this?

It's 10%, and only on Malefic Grasp itself. Affliction has a lot of separate damage sources, so wouldn't really get a good benefit from it.

It might be better for Destruction, as incinerate is a greater part of its damage.

It also doesn't return mana.
Edited by Arteries on 5/3/2012 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Harvest Life is going to be one of those spells which gets you focused in BGs. Anything with a graphic like that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]