Guild Wars 2 Thread (continued) (Beta Info)

90 Blood Elf Warlock
Wanted to share my opinion here.

At first, I was blown away with just how incredible everything was. The way you learn new skills, the way skills are based on weapon type, the traits, WvW (it's sheer size still makes me drool lol), the size of the world in general. Some of this stuff I already knew about, but had not experienced personally (<3 me some gamebreaker.tv !).

I started off with a necro and was having a little trouble because I misunderstood some of the basic mechanics. Like the auto-attack spell/ability. I kept mashing the button over and over thinking I had to. This, of course, becomes annoying quickly (at least in wow you're pressing more than one button most of the time). There didn't seem to be any clear path from one questing area to the next. Every class felt a little too much the same. Every class felt too squishy.

So I started to dislike my experience and began picking apart the cons of the game (to clarify --- understanding that it's a beta). Many of the things I found and analyzed I was disappointed in. I didn't like the lack of a role system (no tank, healer, etc). Crafting didn't make sense.

I was kinda discouraged because I was afraid it was going to be another WAR or Aion. After about a four hour break (courtesy of not being able to log back in lol), I took it for another spin. Suddenly, everything clicked. The skills made sense, crafting made sense and the role system made sense.

I won't say it's a staunch competitor for WoW, but I can say it's going to be a solid game and worth the money to pick up since it's F2P.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
I really enjoyed GW2's combat. Every equipped weapon skill (all FIVE of them (Ten if you count weapon swap)) feel more important than my cluttered action bar in WoW.

GW2 is doing something right.
Reply Quote
87 Undead Priest
Team Legacy vs Reddit in the Battle for Dreaming Bay Pt. 1:
http://www.twitch.tv/okuraku/b/316654818

Pt. 2:
http://www.twitch.tv/okuraku/b/316654335
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
I've posted some videos on youtube of various things i recorded over the weekend. Still have LOTS of pvp videos i need to edit and upload (i recorded almost every match i did) along with some other things like personal story quests and a jumping puzzle.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasBizzle
Edited by Tomac on 4/30/2012 11:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
i can't even log to wow now lol xD
i recorded some videos too :3

http://www.youtube.com/user/manumotater/videos
Reply Quote
87 Undead Priest
So let's hear it all. What was everyone's favorite beta experience? What stuck out most to you? What would you change if you could? And how are you sating your thirst for more?
Reply Quote
86 Undead Death Knight
04/30/2012 07:16 PMPosted by Lonniehaskel
What was everyone's favorite beta experience?

the end event.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I missed the end event, so I'll have to stick with my favorite event getting zerged by bears in the norn village with all the children. I had just started to talk to the repair guy, and there there were bears. Bears everywhere.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
Anyone who's gotten a hand's-on experience with the thief care to share any gameplay details and personal opinion of the class and how it controls?
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
What was everyone's favorite beta experience?

Any time when i was doing events with other people. Everyone is just so helpful, if they see me fighting a mob they join in, if i happen to go down people run over to pick me back up. It was a great thing to see random people wanting to help each other out instead of competing and griefing.

What stuck out most to you?

Definitely the game world. It's just so massive and beautiful. They really nailed the sense of scale. Towns are actually towns and not just 2 or 3 buildings near each other. The cities are absolutely gigantic. I thought i was going to have a problem with the fact that each zone is separated by a portal but you don't event notice because the zones are just so massive.

What would you change if you could?

Hopefully the overflow server situation is resolved. I plan on playing with a couple of friends next beta event and i hope i won't have to hassle with trying to get into the same server with them.

And how are you sating your thirst for more?

Editing and uploading these videos is making me wanna play again, I was sitting here thinking "i feel like doing some WvW", but alas =(
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
I enjoyed the dynamic events the most. They were fun.

learning the weapon sets and how to make build outs via weapon switching that I then used in combat was cool.

crafting needs some help. From my initial opinions of crafting, players will probably by gems to transfer into gold and purchase their way to level crafting. Which might be Anet money making model.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter

crafting needs some help. From my initial opinions of crafting, players will probably by gems to transfer into gold and purchase their way to level crafting. Which might be Anet money making model.

I quite enjoyed the crafting, nice combination of detail, complexity and immersion. Some small issues with the balancing of mat availability- but that according to the devs is part of the design, crafting is meant to be just as important part of leveling as any other- not just something you grind once you get to cap then ignore.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
I didn't understand the crafting at all at first glance. Then again i never took the time to figure it out :P

I've never been into crafting in games lol
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
So let's hear it all. What was everyone's favorite beta experience? What stuck out most to you? What would you change if you could? And how are you sating your thirst for more?

Dynamic Events and questing with other people was a blast, loved every second of it.

I loved playing on the ranger in Dynamic Events, started with Axe/Horn which focused on debuffing the enemy and buffing the group which was fun to do then switching to a bow for some good damage. My pet was a moron though and he died a lot on those event bosses.

2 Handed Guardian was also a lot of fun.

It was instanced where it needed to be and it made sense so I'm glad they seem to be going in the right direction with that.

Non-instanced and non-grouped group play was rewarded and not punished.

Changes:
I would like if they increased the survivability of melee because I would get one shotted on some events if I garnered the attention of the event boss cause I was in close range. With the way aggro mechanics work melee should be able to take some hits.

Also, it was quite laggy on some events with lots of people in the starting area, though once I moved out of the starting area and into the next "zone" it was smooth sailing even with events with a bunch of people. I'm guessing the starting zones were teaming with people trying new characters so that could have been the problem.

Overall, it was amazing, I'm sad I was only able to play for the weekend =(

Edit: Spelling
Edited by Judiscpriest on 5/1/2012 7:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I didn't understand the crafting at all at first glance. Then again i never took the time to figure it out :P

I've never been into crafting in games lol

Crafting awards a buttload of experience, and the crafted items are just as good as any available at level from what I could manage- totally worth it.
Reply Quote
87 Undead Priest
Well-written article a Teamliquid poster made about his experience with us this weekend:

http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=333601#14
Reply Quote
Can't wait to play OMG
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
So let's hear it all. What was everyone's favorite beta experience?

Dynamic Events. I really liked the shadow behemoth event in Godslost Swamp. Wasn't hard to figure out but it was enjoyable.

What stuck out most to you?

PvE melee vs ranged. Feels imbalanced for melee if there's more than a couple mobs or there's several ranged mobs.

What would you change if you could?

Actual tutorials. First starting out can be rough due to the different gameplay style than what we're used to. Once I got used to it I had a lot of fun though. May be a turn off for people not willing to stick it out.

Map tracking options. Being able to turn off some markers is needed. Namely being able to turn off discovered PoI. It can be time consuming finding that last PoI that's tucked away in a corner somewhere.

And how are you sating your thirst for more?

After May 15th I'll have D3 to play. For now I'm replaying other games I have. Haven't logged into WoW for a while. Just kind of browse the GG&H sub forum these days.
Edited by Vandella on 5/1/2012 7:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]