Bear pet

90 Night Elf Hunter
With growl turned off, can a bear pet in dungeons (I know, cat is better for DPS but I'm not lacking DPS for HoT runs anyway and I like bears better) pull aggro from a tank?

I ran a dungeon tonight (Hour of Twilight) and the tank kept whining about my bear pet pulling aggro from him, it can't really do that can it? I've ran LFR and forgot to turn the growl off and no one mentioned anything or realized it because tanks will out-aggro a pet easily, don't they?

I have a DK tank that I play with and never noticed any hunter pets puling aggro before, but just thought I'll check in here because I hardly play this hunter toon.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
I think I've had my pet steal aggro once. And that was with an absolutely terrible tank, with a pet I had just pulled out of the stables and forgotten to turn taunt off of.

I doubt it's your fault, but if they keep complaining, either vote to kick them for being terrible at holding their aggro, or just put your pet on passive.
Edited by Atrox on 4/27/2012 2:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Tank pets go get a true "taunt" which is not the same as growl. If your pet's taunt is turned on it will take aggro for a short bit. There's really no reason for your pet to be taking aggro at all in a group, since that means you either have growl/taunt on or your pet is outdpsing everyone including you.
Edited by Stalkings on 4/27/2012 6:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Tank pets go get a true "taunt" which is not the same as growl. If your pet's taunt is turned on it will take aggro for a short bit. There's really no reason for your pet to be taking aggro at all in a group, since that means you either have growl/taunt on or your pet is outdpsing everyone including you.

Agree, you would have to wipe most of its talents, so many help gain threat.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Thunderstomp is one ability that comes into mind. Not sure how much it scales with its own AP or your own. But that could possibly do it. Just turn it off along with growl.

And I agree that bears are awesome. Can't wait for Mists to use one as Ferocity.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Thanks for the replies. If the tank losses aggro to my pet, do the mobs then attack the pet or the hunter?

The problem with that run was that the mobs were running towards me, causing the tank to think my pet is pulling aggro. It would seems that perhaps, I'm the one pulling aggro from the tank? And no, I wasn't using scatter shot or distracting shot.

Perhaps the mistake was that I wasn't using misdirection continuous and only at the start of combat?
Edited by Cyberena on 4/27/2012 10:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Hunter
Thanks for the replies. If the tank losses aggro to my pet, do the mobs then attack the pet or the hunter?

The problem with that run was that the mobs were running towards me, causing the tank to think my pet is pulling aggro. It would seems that perhaps, I'm the one pulling aggro from the tank? And no, I wasn't using scatter shot or distracting shot.

Perhaps the mistake was that I wasn't using misdirection continuous and only at the start of combat?

If a tank is losing aggro to your pet when it has growl/taunt off, then the tank is just plain bad, that's all I can say. A hunter pet should NEVER take aggro from a tank, assuming the aggro generating abilities previously listed are turned off.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter

Your aggro table and your pet's aggro table are two entirely different tables. If you pulled threat without using Distracting Shot (Scatter Shot doesn't have a taunt component), then there are two most likely scenarios. First, you attacked a target before the tank could generate sufficient threat on that target. It can take up to 4 seconds before a tank has control over every mob when the pull has three or more mobs. Second, your tank was not using his threat generating abilities to properly maintain threat on all mobs. Trying to tank without Blood Presence, Protection Aura, Bear Form, etc. is the most likely culprit in this case.

Using Misdirect on a pull will help with both of these issues, but that threat disappears after 30 seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
^ protection aura isn't anything to do with it, you mean righteous fury ;p Other than that, what he said.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
04/27/2012 05:12 PMPosted by Katzbalger
^ protection aura isn't anything to do with it, you mean righteous fury ;p Other than that, what he said.

Yeah, that one...I never got a Pally past level 10, so forgive my ignorance.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]