NOT Niceness of Strangers

46 Tauren Paladin
04/29/2012 03:48 PMPosted by Karielinna
A really nifty way to improve the community is to stop complaining about it.

Yea sure lets ignore problems, I mean if you don't see it, it didn't happen right? /eyeroll.

The thing is that there isn't a problem. We're a community of millions of players. There's the good and there's the bad and there's everything in between, and this is the internet so the cynics and the pessimists get showered in attention.

If you don't like the community on your server, move to a different one. Wherever you go, be it on Earth or Azeroth, you're going to be confronted by rude people. At the end of the day, there's thousands of people playing right now that you could be great friends with.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin

I dont like 99 percent of any guilds I have joined they are bad , nothing but lude comments and swearing why would I want to be in any guild ever !

What kinds of guilds do you join? This statement is like those that say "Well all the pugs I run with are fail". Really? All of them? (or in this case 99%?). I'll be the first to admit the community is far from perfect, certainly the OPs post highlights one of the major flaws, but in all honesty I've been playing this game since BC and have yet to be in a guild that was 99% full of horrible people, or even anywhere near that.

I recently started on a new server and found a guild to level with. My only criteria was it needed to be level 25 for the perks. I have since leveled several more characters and raided with this guild. Why? Because they're awesome, I love the people in this guild (a guild I found totally randomly). I think that to a certain extent you get out of this game what you put into it. If you always expect the worst of people then you're likely to always get the worst... because that kind of attitude leads you to treat people poorly.

This is not to say the OPs complain isn't valid, certainly there are plenty of WoW players that are the very bottom of the human population in terms of civility. But this is by no means the entirety, or eve (dare I say) the majority. Sadly though these people do tend to be the most vocal segment of the WoW, and even the general MMO, population.
Reply Quote
84 Blood Elf Priest
And since when did WoW become full of people who just swear and yell at each other?

Are we playing the same game? The behavior you described is practically unheard of on Wrymrest Accord (for example).

If people are that trashy and obnoxious on your server, consider changing up your game and moving in another direction. RP servers are generally polite, laid back and lots of fun.
Reply Quote
Sorry that you experienced such a bad group of our community. Some have said no one is helpful, and that is untrue, but a lot of the issue is because of "group-think". One person has something negative to say, and everyone thinks they are cool so they imitate it.

I surround myself with helpful and nice people. I'm lucky that I found a guild that is filled to the brim with them. I wish you luck on your endeavors finding the same.

Quick note: If you ever find yourself on Farstriders, look up me or my guild. We'll be happy to help with anything. :)
Reply Quote
04/29/2012 03:44 PMPosted by Roessen
If it means anything, I would've helped you out. :/

It does mean a lot. Thank you :)
Reply Quote
Think of Trade and General chat as being a gymnasium full of teenage boys, because that's probably not a bad analogy of the people who do most of the talking in those channels. What do boys do when some random stranger asks for help, regardless of circumstances? Most of the time they'll pick on them, just because they can.

I highly recommend finding a good guild and asking in Guild chat when you need assistance. :)
Reply Quote
Quick note: If you ever find yourself on Farstriders, look up me or my guild. We'll be happy to help with anything. :)

I havn't decided whether I'm switching servers or not yet, but I just might take you up on that offer :) Thanks for the support
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
04/29/2012 03:40 PMPosted by Cyrikt
This is what it's like to hang out with a bunch of young adults with asperger's. Fun, isn't it?

I lol'd.

It's true, there are a lot of Aspie's on WoW for some reason. Most of them are self-diagnosed, of course.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Ninety percent of the people whining about how most WoW players suck are probably the root of the problem.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
04/29/2012 03:40 PMPosted by Cyrikt
This is what it's like to hang out with a bunch of young adults with asperger's. Fun, isn't it?

Asperger's is not something to joke about dude.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
What happenned to helping someone out?

If people want to help each other out, cool. If not, no one is entitled to other people's time or effort or gold. If you can't get people to help you, deal with it.

I want to play WoW to meet new people and make new friends, not be humiliated and made fun of.

It's a videogame, not a dating service or a social club. If the people you play with turn out to be cool, that's fine, but unless they happen to live near you, they're not really going to be real friends anyway.

I have major self-esteem issues and this doesnt help anything.

That's not anyone else's problem but yours, and in fact, realizing that it's no one's problem but yours is a great way to deal with it. Besides, nothing that happens in a videogame should effect your self-esteem one way or another, because it's a videogame. A fun, enjoyable, but ultimately meaningless leisure activity.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
04/29/2012 03:39 PMPosted by Pakura
A really nifty way to improve the community is to stop complaining about it.

Explain.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
go stand on the street and ask for help like a bum. see what happens. people will treat you like garbage and will not give you any respect. no different than spamming trade chat with "i need help." video game devs/companies are not resposible for what people say to you through a whisper.

help yourself and toughen up. you have three choices: be a person who gets bullied, be a bully, or be a person who stands up to a bullies. SAVE YOUR OWN LIFE. NO ONE CAN DO IT FOR YOU.
Reply Quote
20 Orc Warlock
And since when did WoW become full of people who just swear and yell at each other?

Since 2004.

And before that Everquest or Ultima Online. And before that Dikumuds. I've been online in one form or another since 1992 and human behavior online has always sucked.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
05/02/2012 08:05 PMPosted by Quelon

No, it's not, but to a lot of people Asperger's is just a fancy name for autism. Hence, a lot of families will push a doctor to say it's "Asperger's" to avoid the stigma of having a child with "autism". Hence the uproar of those families when the government makes a push to do away with the diagnostic term of Asperger's and lump it all under autism.

And, too, some players in WoW and in other games claim they have "Asperger's" or some other disorder to give them a free pass to behave horribly towards other players.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
05/02/2012 08:16 PMPosted by Taureh
go stand on the street and ask for help like a bum. see what happens. people will treat you like garbage and will not give you any respect.

I must have read the OP wrong. I though it was more like asking for help in exchange for something.
Reply Quote
70 Undead Warlock
Ti
05/02/2012 08:05 PMPosted by Quelon

Then they shouldn't have named it asperger's
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I agree Jamjam. Instead of telling you to solo it, they could have just said nothing and minded their business since they obviously didn't want to help. Instead, people feel the need to shoot off rude remarks at every little thing weather it concerns them or not.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]