Prot PvE Reforging/Check Up?

Can someone please tell me what i should be reforging to what in my current gear? How much expertise should i have? How much hit should i have? I'm about to start raiding DS 10 man normals for now if that helps.

P.S is my spec/gem/enchants ok? And YES i know i need to work on my trinkets, the one from the new heroics never drops for me and I'm only a few valor away from the badge trinket.
Edited by Tara on 4/29/2012 5:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
I am confused. You are prot but you are wearing dps gear?

So for starters, dump the dps gear and get proper tanking gear. You have parry reforged out of for hit/exp.. NEVER reforge away your avoidance stats. Especially with the threat buff this isn't necessary, even in the abysmal state warrior threat is.

Here is your stat priority:
Mastery>Parry>Dodge. Anything with parry and dodge, reforge dodge to mastery. Anything with dodge and mastery, reforge dodge to parry. Anything with mastery and parry, leave as is. Parry and Mastery should make up the bulk of your stats, with dodge not far behind...

Gemming. If bonus is +15 stam, ignore the socket bonus and go with 40 mastery (fractured amberjewel). 30 stam bonus, depending on gem socket... Fill it with either 20 mastery 30 stam (puissant) or 20 parry 20 mastery (cant remember this one). If you are a jc'er, make sure to gem for 67 + mastery (fractured amberjewel).

Even with the nerfed normals your gear is way out of wack to start raiding. Go fix it
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
One more thing. Your enchants are wrong. dodge and stam on legs not agil and stam. Windwalk on your weapon. + 250 armor protection on the cloak. 75 + stam on chest, replace 50 hit on bracers with 50 dodge. Shield, gloves, head, shoulders, and feet look good. With the exception of putting mastery on dps gloves.

Edit: also, you are a JC'er, but I see you've only used 1 of your 3 available Jeweler's gems?

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you now.
Edited by Wølfblitzer on 4/29/2012 9:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just realised i got the wrong tier set -_- and my dps trinket is litteraly the only trinket i have other than the other one im using. thank you for your help.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Just realised i got the wrong tier set -_- and my dps trinket is litteraly the only trinket i have other than the other one im using. thank you for your help.

???

Also, I think you'd still be able to tank normal DS considering nerfs even with the dps tier pieces, trinket and agility leg enchant. But fix all that first.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
04/29/2012 09:03 PMPosted by Wølfblitzer
Mastery>Parry>Dodge. Anything with parry and dodge, reforge dodge to mastery. Anything with dodge and mastery, reforge dodge to parry. Anything with mastery and parry, leave as is. Parry and Mastery should make up the bulk of your stats, with dodge not far behind...

The amount of wrong in this paragraph is just mind boggling.

In general you want to be reforging out of parry to either mastery or dodge. Dodge/parry item -> parry to mastery, Parry/mastery item -> parry to dodge. Threat stats such as hit or expertise should be reforged to either dodge or mastery, again depending on what the item doesn't have and if it's a threatstat/parry item the threat stat should be put in to mastery.

What you want to be shooting for here is to have parry and dodge be within ~120 rating of each other, with parry being the higher of the two due to the Hold the Line talent, to avoid diminishing returns and have mastery be as high as it can possibly be without sacrificing dodge and parry. The main goal of all this is to end up with 102.4% total avoidance fully buffed (which does take a little doing).

Really just scratched the surface here, but if you want more info on all this then
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
is a great place to start. Other stickies on the tank forums are also very helpful and worth checking out if you have further questions.

Oh and I forgot to add,
http://chardev.org/Planner.html
is a great site for messing around with gear/gems/and reforging without having to drop gold on doing it.
Edited by Borck on 4/30/2012 3:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I just realized that when i went to buy the tier after i got my tokens in LFR i bought the dps pieces and not the tanking ones I put in a ticket, hopefully they will refund them
Reply Quote
I cleaned up my enchants/gems/reforges/gear , is it ok now?

P.S This comment was sent late and was a reply to the person who originally posted right after me, did not see the above comment.
Edited by Tara on 5/1/2012 4:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
04/30/2012 07:15 PMPosted by Tara
I cleaned up my enchants/gems/reforges/gear , is it ok now?

I'm not sure what you looked like before posting this, but you're still way off.

Someone advised to get your parry/dodge very close to each other, with parry being slightly higher than dodge, yet you still have 3205 parry and 1040 dodge. Read the sticky and google some guides on the spec. You should at least know the basics before asking for people to fine tune your character for you.

Until you reach the ctc cap you should ignore all socket bonuses and stack 40 mastery gems, aside from the few blue/green gems needed for the Meta. You should also be using mastery food/elixir if you are raiding.

A few enchants are off but not enough to really affect anything.

Your reforging is completely out of wack, stop reforging into parry.

EDIT: Listen to Borck, he gave good tips. Wolf's post had a lot of bad advice, try and ignore him.
Edited by Jakstraw on 5/1/2012 8:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
Lol "mind boggling and bad advice". The only thing I got called out on was the parry and dodge reforges.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Just from a broader perspective, I wouldn't recommend anyone listen to a protection warrior who thinks that dodge is reforged into parry. The poor guy's sitting at like 19% parry and 10% dodge because of something you probably posted. It was the only thing you were called out on but it says a lot.

Gemming. If bonus is +15 stam, ignore the socket bonus and go with 40 mastery (fractured amberjewel). 30 stam bonus, depending on gem socket... Fill it with either 20 mastery 30 stam (puissant) or 20 parry 20 mastery (cant remember this one).

That is also wrong. You want to meet the meta requirements but other than that you go full mastery until you get ctc capped. Stamina is our best stat but it's better to mitigate as much possible damage as you can first.

Unless the bonus is +20 mastery, you don't gem for bonuses if you're under the cap.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Yea, but CTC cap isn't super important for normals.

*edit* Unless you want to be legendary.
Edited by Tedd on 5/1/2012 9:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
misinformation abounds.

simple rules to follow for prot warriors.

Gemming

red socket = fine cut orange parry/mastery
yellow socket = fractured yellow cut mastery
blue socket = puissant cut green mast/stam

reforging:

gear with:
threat/avoidance reforge threat (hit or exp) into mastery
threat mastery reforge threat to desired avoidance*
avoid/avoid reforge highest stat to mastery. PERIOD.
avoid/threat leave alone **

ctc cap is 102.4 % total dodge, parry, block and boss mis sate for raid bosses.

*due to hold the line we value parry much more so than dodge. there is two schools of thought on this subject. 1 school say balance dodge and parry as they share DR's 2nd school after extensive math believes parry can be great than dodge by 1000 rating. becasue hold the line makes a parry so much more important. i am of this school. at 1000 rating disparity u lose .22% to DR which is arbitrary.

** you may want to reforge avoid/mastery gear for balance in avoidance. or if the stat is parry and you have 1000 rating more parry than dodge and leaving the parry alone would put u over that mark.

basically understanding the wieghts of stats will help u decide how to trick out your tank.

remember after ctc cap all avoid and mitigation weights fall off the chart and we then start to find ways to stack stamina.

easy way to know if u are ctc capped. add parry dodge and block if they = 97.4% ure golden. remember to account for your raid buffs as well. have some friends or random strangers of applicable classes and have them buff u up. eat ur mastery food tosss urself a bshout. check ure stats. if not 97.4% on char sheet buy elixers of mastery and magic resist till u are capped without it then use stam flasks.

sorry for wall of text hope this helps and is imformative.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
05/01/2012 10:49 AMPosted by Danissana

Not just for raid bosses.

Also, I stand by my previous statement that combat table coverage is not necessary for current normal content.

*edit* - So a bit of stam can be a good thing.

Also going OVER ctc with mastery is fine as well, due to talents.
Edited by Tedd on 5/1/2012 10:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
05/01/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Tedd

Not just for raid bosses.

Also, I stand by my previous statement that combat table coverage is not necessary for current normal content.

*edit* - So a bit of stam can be a good thing.

Also going OVER ctc with mastery is fine as well, due to talents.

5% miss rate is universal but ctc cap refers only to raid bosses.

i agree for normal u dont need ctc cap persay but u should real close due to the gear required to run it.

a bit of stam is a good thing hence why i dont try and nit pick gemming. follow the simple rules to start out and ull get those bits of stam from bonuses and green gems.

going over ctc cap with mastery not fine. i would maintain if at all possible while maintaing ctc cap to shift into pure avoidance over mitigation. mastery mitigates it doesnt avoid. it is better in all truth to dodge an attack then too parry it which is still way better then to mitigate 30/60% of the attack.

i dont try the whole if this bonus is x then gem this. BS. in terms of a beginner i try to give a basic understanding of how the stats work. too elaborate on above paragraph. when dodge an attack u avoid dmg and any possible debuff like sunder armor. when you parry you avoid the dmg but not the debuff. when u block it you take dmg and the debuff. i like more parry for hold the line. Not because i want more crit block because i want more crit to my attacks to help down bosses. prior too ctc cap HtL is great for mitigation.

all in all we say the things. i just tried to simplify for the beginner. following those ghemmin and reforge rules he will never get ask why he gemmed reforged as he has. itll make sence too all but the nastiest nitpickers.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
to the OP.

having just looked at you heres what id do.

starting from head to the toes.

head, u got it right leave alone.
neck, same leave alone
shoulders, i would go exp to dodge becasue u have 9% more parry atm which is way too much of a difference.
back, u got right leave alone.
chest, undo reforge then leave alone u need that dodge currently.
bracers, *u got it right but thats a piece i save to end of reforging. see my rule on avoid avoid. there should have been an asterisk. ill come back to this.
gloves, i would have gone hit to dodge. u need to bring that rating up.
belt, leave alone was correct. for now.
legs, same for now
feet, same as bracers.

ok so if u do all that look at ratings. first are you 97.4% parry, dodge and block on char sheet. or close enough u can be sure some buffs will cover it? then is dodge still (and im sure it is) more than 1000 rating below parry?

if yes to the first one lets revisit your boots and bracers. lets undo those to just avoid avoid no mastery. are u still capped or close too? i also know that ur dodge is getting closer to parry significantly. that being said i would prolly take a piece of the parry/mastery gears u have which are numerous. id say legs and helm and reforge parry to dodge and again check my ratings. u should be closer to cap from that and having a better balance in dodge and parry.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
05/01/2012 11:09 AMPosted by Danissana
5% miss rate is universal but ctc cap refers only to raid bosses.

The combat table refers to the game rolling system, it doesn't matter if you are fighting a raid boss, player or regular NPC.

The only difference between regular mobs, and bosses is a .8% per level higher bonus bosses receive for being bosses. Which is why we have to have 97.2% total avoidance+mit instead of 95%.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
Well forgive me for being misinformed about the dodge/parry situation. It's what I was told by someone who has played a prot warrior since Vanilla. No need to rail me saying to ignore everything I said

Just trying to help!
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Dellingr made an excellent compilation of warrior information at the top of the page.

Shame no one feels the pull to read it, there is knowledge from many warriors in that article/thread.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]