Does healing attract calmer individuals?

85 Draenei Shaman
Ok the subject line was not allowed to be big enough so here it is: does healing attract calmer individuals vs other roles. I noticed in raiding a lot of guys like to tank. It is a very macho thing. I am not a macho dude I find healing more enjoyable than any other role. I have tanked and dps in a raiding environment as well and it is not as good as healing. When things hit the fan it is the healers that must stay calm and systematically make sure everyone lives to fight another day.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I'm quite the opposite of calm, so I'd have to say: No. I do like the systematical part, though.

On the other hand, I hate tanking with passion.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Most healers I run into in PUGs tend to be the most high-strung individuals in the group. That's not to say that they lock up under pressure, but they tend to be the whiniest ones.

However, the healers I run with regularly in raid are pretty level-headed and quiet. We usually only talk to coordinate our CDs and the rest is up to the tanks and DPS to drop the boss.
Reply Quote
05/02/2012 09:16 AMPosted by Gloostick
Most healers I run into in PUGs tend to be the most high-strung individuals in the group. That's not to say that they lock up under pressure, but they tend to be the whiniest ones.

That would be lack of confidence. They're afraid the DPS is gonna do the impossible pull and then votekick them for wiping.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
It depends. If I'm level headed and quiet it usually means I don't care about the fight and I'm probably doing something else at the same time.
If I'm actually involved and trying, loud and high strung is a lot more like it.
Reply Quote
I've been described as a geek in the wrong body. I walk into the room, and everyone assumes "football player" and assigns me the mentality as such.....so many people are just shocked when they learn I am a physics geek.

My mentality, in regards to healing, is that it is the Only role that requires conscious, non-stop, thinking. DPS is just "do you highest DPS rotation = win" and tanking isn't much different, just with an added positioning and movement mechanics, but still simple. I heal for the challenge.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4081813653?page=2#24

While the discussion linked was whether or not more healers were female, the same view applies here: specifically, I think that !ON AVERAGE! healers tend to be older (hence, more mature) players, is all.

<S>
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I am a low keyed person and usually do not even speak during the raid and if I have something to say it is in raid chat. If I notice something wrong I call it out but I do it nicely.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
LOL. I'm just not going to comment on this one.

I am very calm. We'll just leave it at that.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I think most of the healers I've raided with are more level-headed. At least the good ones.

I'm generally not an out-spoken person. Healing falls into my systematic habits. I used to be an avid chess player, healing kind of had a similar thought process: Evaluate situation, predict most likely events, act accordingly.

Tanking dungeons tends to be more fun because it has a bit of unpredictability. Tanking raids drove me away from tanking completely. Its so boring having such a basic rotation while waiting for one of the boss' ability timers to come up to use a cooldown.

I actually liked ICC tanking on my bear. 1 button tanking let me watch TV and glance back periodically to make sure all is well. Then they added procs in for randomness to make it more engaging, meaning less tv watching and more realizing how boring it is to stand around waiting.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
LOL. I'm just not going to comment on this one.

I am very calm. We'll just leave it at that.

You're perfect though, so you don't count.

In raids, I'm quiet on vent, save for a few circumstances. In 5mans/typing in raids, I'm the obnoxious one, cracking jokes at every corner. :\
Reply Quote
05/02/2012 08:39 AMPosted by Outdoorlife
Ok the subject line was not allowed to be big enough so here it is: does healing attract calmer individuals vs other roles. I noticed in raiding a lot of guys like to tank. It is a very macho thing. I am not a macho dude I find healing more enjoyable than any other role. I have tanked and dps in a raiding environment as well and it is not as good as healing. When things hit the fan it is the healers that must stay calm and systematically make sure everyone lives to fight another day.

/giggle

Ok, now that is out of my system. If I, or anyone I know well, were to be given the task of making a list of 100 words to describe me.... calm would not be anywhere on the list.

That said, I operate very well under the pressure of needing to (wanting to) keep everyone alive.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I think the more you heal, the calmer you get. Everytime you heal someone standing in fire, your calmer index goes up a little; if you are also low on mana at the time, it goes up more. Eventually, you'll be in a very calm state of, "Stand in fire. No problem. I'll heal you, or I'll rez you." /end joking

I prefere healing because I don't like mobs beating me in my face. And, even though I could be using every GCD and cursing it being too long while healing, I don't like the "rotation" thing for DPS, where I felt being forced to push a key because it's off cooldown.

I think for every role, healing, dps, or tanking, a calmer person would do better.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i see myself generally as a calm person, but my raid members might say otherwise
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
If the conversation in this forum is any indication...
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I can't say I've noticed any correlation between roles in the game and personality.
Reply Quote
It's hard to sayi love tanking but I prefer healing and I usually stay calm and never lose my !@#$ BUT I also raid lead and I'm a huge take charge person not in a !#@! way I just trust myself more then others if that makes sense.
Reply Quote
I agree with jesminia I actually don't like dpsing as I don't like having a super set rotation I change I as I stated before I also like tanking but it scares the !@#$ out of me because as I said I don't like relying on others and that's all a tank dose so that leaves me with healing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]