Solution! Blizzard raid frame corruption bug

(Locked)

85 Draenei Priest
If you play WoW as a healer, and you use the default Blizzard raid frames, you may have experienced a common problem where the raid frames become corrupted.

This problem manifests in the following ways: whenever a person enters or leaves the raid or battleground; or when anything else happens that would cause the frames to rearrange; some or all of the frames stop functioning correctly. The names on frames no longer properly correspond to the players these frames target. A single player's name may appear on multiple frames, but only one of those frames actually targets the right person.

The problem happens because a third-party add-on causes the raid frames to become tainted, which means they no longer benefit from privileges available only to secure code, so the raid frames can no longer adjust while in combat. But the frames are implemented with the assumption that they can always adjust, so they become corrupted.

To discover which add-on is causing this, create a macro with the following contents:

/run print(issecurevariable("CompactRaidFrame1"))
Give it a name like "Taint", and bind it to a key so you can execute it easily, at any time.

When you execute this macro, it will print to your chat log either the following:

1 nil
indicating that the raid frames are secure and untainted; or, it will output the following:

nil NameOfAddOn
indicating that the raid frames are tainted, and the listed add-on was involved.

In my case, the offending add-on was Altoholic and its component, DataStore. Since I've disabled that, I've no longer experienced any raid frame corruption issues.

I continue to use other essential add-ons, such as Bartender and Clique, without issue.
Edited by Elonael on 5/2/2012 9:49 AM PDT
90 Draenei Shaman
sticky requested, because you, sir, are a god amongst men.
8 Dwarf Priest
the addon isn't designed to attack or otherwise disable the raid frames.

i think what you mean to say is blizzard's game code causes the issue. that is the only reason for the incompatibility.

the third party addons do not "cause" this to happen.
he addon isn't designed to attack or otherwise disable the raid frames.

i think what you mean to say is blizzard's game code causes the issue. that is the only reason for the incompatibility.

Yes they do. Only certain function can be called by addons while in combat. If a section of non-secure code (EG every addon) attempts to call a protected function while in combat, the result is taint.

This same issue is present in the current version of xperl, which attempts to compare achievements in combat.

Op, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
Also, specifically, Altaholic calls the CastSpell(spellID) function, which is a protected function and can only be called by Blizzard code anyways.

API CastSpell

This function is PROTECTED, and can only be called from Blizzard code.

It has been protected since patch 2.0.1.
For alternatives, try Secure Templates or the new /cast.

Casts a specificed spell

CastSpell(spellID, spellbookType);

Arguments

spellID
Integer - Spell ID.
spellbookType
String - Spellbook type. Valid values are "spell" (BOOKTYPE_SPELL) and "pet" (BOOKTYPE_PET). All players use "spell". Hunters and Warlocks may have additional tabs on the bottom when pets are summoned. Warlocks have Demon, which corresponnds to "pet" spellbook type.

Example

CastSpell(1, "spell");

Result

Casts the first spell listed in the spellbook (usually Alchemy or Attack).

Note

Use "spell" or SpellBookFrame.booktype as the spellbookType for any non-pet spell. The id is counted from 1 through all spell types (tabs on the right side of SpellBookFrame). Pet spells also start from 1. (See example above). The CastSpell function can not be used outside Blizzard-signed code except when "casting" trade skills (e.g. Cooking, Alchemy, etc.).
Edited by Linbrez on 5/2/2012 12:26 PM PDT
90 Human Priest
@OP: thank you very much for your work.

I kind of know which addon(s) are screwing this. I'll use the macro to confirm it. But I need them for combat. Is there any way to reset/fix the "Taint" problem in combat? Or, it has to be a reload UI after the combat?
05/02/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Røth
I love you, but Vuhdo is screwing it up :/ That's not going to change any time soon.

Yup, it makes me sad on the inside. Blizzard really needs to examine its API's for Mists. Far too many function hook into the raid frames, even when it makes no sense,
Edited by Linbrez on 5/2/2012 1:05 PM PDT
8 Dwarf Priest
he addon isn't designed to attack or otherwise disable the raid frames.

Yes they do. Only certain function can be called by addons while in combat.

and who's fault is that
90 Draenei Priest
I love you, I have this issue with xperl and it's been driving me nuts.
28 Dwarf Paladin

and who's fault is that

Um.

The addons for calling on the functions they know cannot be called on in combat. *bonks you on the head*

Or blizzards for not dealing with a situation in which a third party programmer attempts to call a function at an inappropriate time better?
90 Night Elf Priest
It all comes down to the functions being called. Addon developers know which functions cannot be called upon while in combat, yet they still make addons that do so. Hell, there are addons with code that is calling on functions that addons cannot actually access. It's just shoddy work.

No, on this particular issue blizz's code needs to be addressed regarding this. Default raidframes are ridiculously easy to taint and walking on eggshells with workarounds to bypass this even when addon has nothing to do with raidframes is not very supportive of addon development.
Edited by Sedivy on 5/3/2012 9:38 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Priest
05/02/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Røth
I love you, but Vuhdo is screwing it up :/ That's not going to change any time soon.

Well, if you're using Vuhdo, why do you care if the default raidframes are tainted?
90 Night Elf Druid
never had a problem with the blizzard UI never get why people says its broken its not broken lolwat

HATE VUHDO / HATE HEALBOT / HATE GRID

<3 Blizzard UI FRAMS
90 Blood Elf Priest
never had a problem with the blizzard UI never get why people says its broken its not broken lolwat

HATE VUHDO / HATE HEALBOT / HATE GRID

<3 Blizzard UI FRAMS

That's very nice for you.
90 Undead Priest
Thanks for the info.

I actually have a reset UI macro that I click on if I need it.
90 Troll Druid
HC
Not hating; just curious. Why do you guys use these addons? The default UI has really been improved. Shows debuffs clearly on people.

From last I used an add-on (and from what I can remember at this moment), the only real difference was that you can customize things JUST to be slightly different (such as having health frames going vertical instead of horizontal).

Oh, and you were also able to see tank/personal CDs better as people used them. Which is probably my only incentive for ever using an addon. But, if you get good people then you they should be calling out accordingly. Either way, that's not a NECESSITY. So... Yeah, just want to know!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]