Im a Paladin noob tank and I need help

85 Tauren Paladin
Okay so i just hit lvl 80 a few days a go and im still horrible at this game, everytime i get in a cata dungeon i get lipped for not having enough health or not having enough agrro, and seriously no one is ever kind enough to give some advice and im getting tired of it. All the good gear is in those dungeons and im bored of questing. Is there anyone out there that can help me set up my action bar properly, and what seals and other buffs I need??? HELLLLPPP!!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1020823291
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
What you wnana do is get a set of tanking gear made up by a blacksmith. You have almost no tanking gear, which means you're going to get smashed in cataclysm dungeons.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Looking at your gears, you're mostly in hit and crit gears, great for ret, but terrible for tanking. You want to have as much mastery as you can, then dodge / parry, with them trying to be as close as possible.

Also looking at your talent tree, you're a bit off. You don't need Improved Hammer of the Justice, nor do you need Hallowed Ground. Also you don't have Divine Guardian at all, and that damage reduction for your party and or raid is <3. And you don't have any glyphs for tanking yet and that should be fixed asap.

http://i.imgur.com/VGMst.jpg - The empty space on my keybinding is "Q" and it is Hand of Reckoning - Don't know why it did not want to pop up when I took the screenshot.

That is a link to my action bar w/ my keybindings. I have it set up to what is most comfortable with my play style and for my raid team. The faster you can hit your cooldowns the better for your healers. Everyone has a different way to play so just tweak up your settings to how you're the most comfortable.
Edited by Gallagher on 4/29/2012 10:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
The mistake is that a newb can walk themselves into cata dungeons and not get wrecked, because they aren't even heroics, but that is not really how that works. Dps can get away with failing a lot easier than a tank or healer can.

Fix your gear and look into what it is to be a prot pally, and then come back and tell us how it went.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
why are tou running a holy relic 0.o
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
04/30/2012 06:29 AMPosted by Deadclown
why are tou running a holy relic 0.o

Because it's the first Cataclysm relic available and it's a GREAT upgrade from anything he could have had before (I had to use it too).Now, if you're getting smashed on cataclysm dungeons and others say you don't have enough gear for cataclysm dungeons, that's because you don't have enough gear for cataclysm dungeons and that's why your groups are wiping.

If you can't for the life of you do quests then just queue as DPS and ninja tank stuff until you're good enough for tanking them yourself. (I'm only against DPS getting tank stuff when they're making an "OS set" that's never going to see the light of day)
It'll take a while but the other four shouldn't be carrying a tank who can't tank. And most of the time they can't.

If there's a normal you can do easily on your current gear, you could also queue for it specifically and forgo the Random bonus until you get all the gear you can from it (I think the water place thingy is the easiest one, so that would probably be it).
Edited by Vellithe on 4/30/2012 11:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
04/30/2012 11:07 AMPosted by Vellithe
If you can't for the life of you do quests then just queue as DPS and ninja tank stuff until you're good enough for tanking them yourself.

DO NOT DO THIS....instead get pieces of the hardened obsidium blacksmith tanking pieces that you need crafted. they often overpriced on the AH but the mats are rather easy to obtain...

Seriously, it's extremely dumb to suggest to a prospective tank that they should queue as dps and ninja tanking gear. Get the crafted gear. queue as a better geared tank near instantly pick up ret pieces after asking. And you'll gear up faster than queuing as dps and ninjaing tanking piece.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Health pool is fine for 82, but you need to focus on a stat priority once you hit 80...for tanks you want mastery, mastery, and more mastery. Anything without mastery should be reforged to mastery. After that, anything without dodge should be reforged to dodge (but never taking away from mastery), in order to balance your dodge and parry ratings (not percentages).

Crafted Hardened Obsidium plate is available at 80, and is a great filler for any pre-289 pieces you might still have. Redsteel Helm has a meta socket however and is available at 83 (along with a decent tanking trinket).

Temple of Air will be a PITA thanks to all the magic damage, so be prepared to burn CDs frequently.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you have the gold to spend, getting this set (or pieces of it if you have better for a slot already) will help an 80 to 85 tank that's just starting with no/little gear:

Hardened Obsidium Helm Hardened Obsidium Shoulders Hardened Obsidium Belt Hardened Obsidium Boots Hardened Obsidium Bracers Hardened Obsidium Breastplate Hardened Obsidium Gauntlets Hardened Obsidium Legguards Hardened Obsidium Shield

Should be around 1000-1500g worth of items, depending on economy for your realm.
Reply Quote
If you have the gold to spend, getting this set (or pieces of it if you have better for a slot already) will help an 80 to 85 tank that's just starting with no/little gear:

Hardened Obsidium Helm Hardened Obsidium Shoulders Hardened Obsidium Belt Hardened Obsidium Boots Hardened Obsidium Bracers Hardened Obsidium Breastplate Hardened Obsidium Gauntlets Hardened Obsidium Legguards Hardened Obsidium Shield

Should be around 1000-1500g worth of items, depending on economy for your realm.

This. Absolutely this. I would say to take up mining and blacksmithing and grind them up and craft your own set, but that is a wee bit tedious to do starting from zilch.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/30/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Zapwidget
This. Absolutely this. I would say to take up mining and blacksmithing and grind them up and craft your own set, but that is a wee bit tedious to do starting from zilch.

I can't recall if there's any decent 1h crafted weapons that aren't Truegold expensive to make. I didn't see any in a quick skim over AtlasLoot.

If gold is tight (after 1-80, you should have a spare 6000 to 8000 probably at least), you can always ask guildies to front you a loan. Once you're tanking dungeons, you can easily make the gold back as long as it isn't wipe after wipe. A few green items sold, a few stacks of cloth and enchant mats to sell, etc.

I was lucky I had a nice guildie. Crafted me a full set of the Hardened stuff for free right when I hit 80. Then another guildie gave me the Elementium shield at 85. Wee.
Edited by Kaitelynn on 4/30/2012 1:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Make friends with a disc priest ^_^ I carried my bf's bear tank while he got geared. Bubbles are great for undergeared tanks.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Honestly, you'll be best off hopping into deepholm and questing to get gear for a bit. You've got some 272s you'll even be replacing. Once you have at least half of your gear that has dodge or parry on it, visit the reforger and follow the above mastery advice.

For the long game, I don't know that it makes a ton of sense to reforge the bejesus out of low level gear. If you get a 333 level dps gear drop that has haste/mastery, use it. I guess additional mastery from reforging could make up for some of the fact that you're new, but higher ilevel will give you more str and hp, which do actually matter also. I wouldn't reforge anything that's less than 316, because it will be gone within 1-2 levels, and then you've paid gold that would be better spent at 85.

The second you hit 83, leave deepholm and go quest in uldum. Even higher level gear available there. Same thing goes for Twilight Highlands at 84. Quests are a quick way to level if you're in the max level zone that you can be in. And, considering you're new, why wouldn't you want to experience that content? I've levelled 6 85s and questing was a part of every one of them. Plus, as prot, you can group up the mobs and pretend like you're tanking dungeons anyway, practice rotation.
04/30/2012 01:46 PMPosted by Kaitelynn
If gold is tight (after 1-80, you should have a spare 6000 to 8000 probably at least),

Good lord, I want to be in your auction house selling low level stuff!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/30/2012 01:58 PMPosted by Bashface
Good lord, I want to be in your auction house selling low level stuff!

Honestly, that's just from quests. While leveling, I don't buy anything really except dual spec, mount training, glyphs. Vendor BoP's, quest gold. Basically my only income. I just shuffle every AH item to a bank and sell at a later date.

I still say grab the Hardened Obsidium set. It'll last to 85 easily and well into normal heroics. Then it's a matter of valor capping, getting the valor items, and getting a few pieces to boost ilvl out of old heroics themselves. Then getting into HoT.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
04/30/2012 11:07 AMPosted by Vellithe
Because it's the first Cataclysm relic available and it's a GREAT upgrade from anything he could have had before (I had to use it too).Now, if you're getting smashed on cataclysm dungeons and others say you don't have enough gear for cataclysm dungeons, that's because you don't have enough gear for cataclysm dungeons and that's why your groups are wiping

Same time vallithe by level 82 he has passed at lest 3 ret/prot relics from quests........you know sure might forgive it at level 80 but never mind.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
okay so focus on mastery and dodge? I always thought that I really needed stamina!?! Anyways you guys have givin me tonnes of advice and I thank you kindly!! thanks every one!
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
YO HOMESLICE!This goes out to Melusine.
WTF is "tanking gear"? Did you read the part where he says he's a noob or are you just mean spirited and delight in being obtouse? I too am a noob and that gear looks tankin to me. Stamina, strength, dodge, parry, mastery etc
So if you are just going to be condescending then I call shennagians on you. Who needs a metaphorical broom?
Edited by Britiannia on 5/1/2012 8:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]