So, what's it like with no melee & wingclip?

78 Night Elf Hunter
I'm wondering if beta hunters can post what it feels like to play hunter in Mists?

While I know we are a ranged class, and I'm extremely happy to learn of the end of the dead zone, over the years (this is my second hunter) using wingclip to create time for kiting has become second nature, as has raptor strike when an enemy closes and is on his last shred of hp.

What is it like to play with no melee at all?

Also, can we still display our melee weapons for esthetic purposes?

I sort of like have duals at my characters hip (or a 2H on her back) while using the ranged weapon. Would feel strange to have no melee (even for decoration only).

Let me know. Thanks.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
I would like to know as well. I am on beta, but can't create a template hunter (creation failed every time) - so I have been searching online to see others experiences to help tide me over til I can finally make one myself. >.<
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I am pretty sure we can equip our melee weapons, don't recall actually trying. We wouldn't be able to use our ranged attacks with them equipped though, it takes up the (only and shared) weapon slots to wield a ranged weapon.

From a PVE standpoint, I am really enjoying the no minimum range....I catch myself moving to range when I didn't need to (i.e. questing, and my pet was tanking the mob anyways).
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
04/30/2012 07:36 AMPosted by Zulgaro
From a PVE standpoint, I am really enjoying the no minimum range....I catch myself moving to range when I didn't need to (i.e. questing, and my pet was tanking the mob anyways).

That's going to be a hard habit to break lol.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter

That's going to be a hard habit to break lol.

Honestly, it is a good habit, just annoying when you realize you didn't have to move, when you go to loot the mob...it crimps my LPS harshly +)
Edited by Zulgaro on 4/30/2012 8:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Rogue
I've been playing a hunter on Beta. 87 now. Extremely fun. The changes to them are probably going to make me main one in MoP (and that rogues were butchered).
And you should still have the habit to move when a mob gets close to you. You are a range class, you don't see mages in melee range do you?

You can still equip melee weapons, but you can't use a ranged weapon then. You only have one weapon slot in MoP.
Reply Quote
78 Night Elf Hunter
Ah, so the days of weapons on our hips (or backs) while shooting a ranged weapon are about to be over. I'll get over it. Thanks for the feedback.

I still think it will be weird not to use wingclip or raptor strike ever again, but I'll adjust.

Good to know that, overall, our class is shaping up okay.
Reply Quote
I stopped playing beta after I kept taking off and flying (without a flying mount) since it's so buggy, but we seemed really strong in the duels I did. My main gripe is all the random dodges we face against agility classes- pvp should be about skill, not the roll of the dice.
Edited by Kelleni on 4/30/2012 1:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
04/30/2012 01:18 PMPosted by Kelleni
I stopped playing beta after I kept taking off and flying (without a flying mount) since it's so buggy, but we seemed really strong in the duels I did. My main gripe is all the random dodges we face against agility classes- pvp should be about skill, not the roll of the dice.

That is why Expertise is for m'dear. Yes that is a stat hunters needs to worry about now just like every other class has to worry about spell pen/expertise on top of hit. By that logic dodge/parry/block/resistance would all have to be removed from the game because of the "roll of the dice" feel.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
I've done a few bg's on the beta and the no melee range takes a bit of getting used to. It's almost hardwired. Of course you still have to get away from melee and kite them but them being in melee range isn't as big of a deal now. You can get that one shot off before you disengage away or kite or whatever.

Spirit beasts and cats don't have the agi buff on Beta so I've been trying out different pets. Ferocity crocs are amazing!! Saves a global on conc shots here and there and they do nice damage. I'm still playing with various pets and the combo of their abilities and specs and it could just be that I'm very partial to my croc but so far am loving the bg's with him.
Reply Quote

That is why Expertise is for m'dear. Yes that is a stat hunters needs to worry about now just like every other class has to worry about spell pen/expertise on top of hit.

So tell, me, m'dear, how much expertise do you suggest I get against a rogue with 30% passive dodge?

I have 5% expertise on beta and get dodged all the time by rogues and ferals.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
I've done a few bg's on the beta and the no melee range takes a bit of getting used to. It's almost hardwired. Of course you still have to get away from melee and kite them but them being in melee range isn't as big of a deal now. You can get that one shot off before you disengage away or kite or whatever.

Spirit beasts and cats don't have the agi buff on Beta so I've been trying out different pets. Ferocity crocs are amazing!! Saves a global on conc shots here and there and they do nice damage. I'm still playing with various pets and the combo of their abilities and specs and it could just be that I'm very partial to my croc but so far am loving the bg's with him.
They're not random dodges, we need expertise in MoP now. Cap your expertise and they won't dodge.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter

They're not random dodges, we need expertise in MoP now. Cap your expertise and they won't dodge.

Ever look into how much Expertise is needed to "cap" against 20%+ Dodge?
Keep in my, we can't simply run through the target and sneak a few shots off before they turn around (because we shouldn't be in melee).
Reply Quote
85 Undead Hunter
04/30/2012 02:17 PMPosted by Zulgaro

You know, thats like dw classes worrying about how to stack enough hit to make every white attack land against a boss. (27% to hit)
Reply Quote
04/30/2012 02:30 PMPosted by Eponine
You know, thats like dw classes worrying about how to stack enough hit to make every white attack land against a boss. (27% to hit)

From a PVP point of view, though, it's going to be hard or impossible to cap out both expertise and hit, unless they're adding more of those stats to PVP gear...?

unless they throw a crap ton of expertise in our shots will miss because of the way agility classes scale.
Reply Quote
62 Troll Hunter
From what I've seen with Swifty's video on duels, rogues can't 1 shot anymore, with their biggest hitting attacks being nerfed in their damage dealing. To make sure that the former gankser extraordinary didn't get UP for once in their lives they just gave them a sheit ton of dodging ability (I believe they have just as much CC & "now ya see me, now ya dont /troll face" abilities as ever).

Once again, just a theory. I'm not in beta (yet...), I'm just trying to pay attention as much as possible to what is going on in it.
Edited by Dolakajin on 4/30/2012 4:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
04/30/2012 06:26 AMPosted by Lyreaux
What is it like to play with no melee at all?

Any good hunter will tell you...

We had melee?
Reply Quote

No DW class in the game has to worry about specials missing. Only whites.

Specials and CC missing isn't the same as just whites. Especially when our specials are simultaneously tied into regen.

I know you say some ridiculous stuff on these forums, but even you could see the stupidity in having 4-5 steady shots in a row dodged and never give you any focus return. Or to have a 15-25% chance for your peels to be dodged.

04/30/2012 02:05 PMPosted by Asixro
Yes that is a stat hunters needs to worry about now just like every other class has to worry about spell pen/expertise on top of hit.

Only melee has to worry about it. Spell Pen is 100% cappable. No wizard with a single spell pen piece will ever see a resist. Ever. It's also bad for game balance to see specials dodged. You'd know this if you knew enough about this game to not lose almost every single arena match you've ever played.
Edited by Bubblês on 5/1/2012 12:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
From what I've seen with Swifty's video on duels, rogues can't 1 shot anymore, with their biggest hitting attacks being nerfed in their damage dealing. To make sure that the former gankser extraordinary didn't get UP for once in their lives they just gave them a sheit ton of dodging ability (I believe they have just as much CC & "now ya see me, now ya dont /troll face" abilities as ever).

Once again, just a theory. I'm not in beta (yet...), I'm just trying to pay attention as much as possible to what is going on in it.

One thing Swifty never mentions, is the fact that pvp gear is only so powerful because there is no pvp power. In fact, most the QQ you see in the beta forums are because no one factors in the missing half of the pvp stats. So we're trying to do damage through 70+% damage reduction (armor included). For example: My aimed shot will hit a mob for 40-50k+ damage on a mob (without buffs) and ~10k (with buffs) on a player target with resilience.

Also, the number balances are not being balanced by the developers just yet. Unless an ability is extremely lacking or way overpowered compared to what they plan for, they aren't changing anything. They are trying to get players to get a feel for the smoothness of their class and get feedback on that first. They don't want players using rotations and abilities that are off the wall because we find out that they do better, even though it's not part of their design.

I highly recommend only taking what Swifty says in his dueling/class videos with a grain of salt. With the exception of warriors (and possibly boomkins), he's not too knowledgeable on other classes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]