I am upset.. for my friend!

(Locked)

90 Troll Shaman

How was it inconsiderate? He/she was merely stating the facts and answering the question at hand. What else do you expect them to say? No offense, but you're the one who is acting inconsiderate here.

It's inconsiderate because Blizzard's general stance has been moving towards using internet connectivity to battle piracy. While that may not apply here, it's also inconsiderate because I know for a fact that I can do everything in WoW on dial-up with the exceptions of raiding/dungeons; unless I am subjected to these submissions.

I can go to the library for updates or whatever, but I can't do it every time to log in during these surveys.
11 Human Warrior
05/01/2012 07:43 PMPosted by Turranmc
He didn't tell you to move, he said if you really want to keep playing you need to meet the minimum system requirements.

Which requires him (the guy with the problem, not the poster) to move. So he did in essence tell him to move. What else is he going to do to "meet the minimum requirements" if the only connection he can get where he lives is the one he has?

I understand you're upset about your situation...

If you read his posts, you'd see that it's not his situation that's the problem -- it's someone else who explained that was why he couldn't get on the game.

... but he was trying to help...

Actually, no, he wasn't trying to help. He was saying Blizzard wouldn't help. That's a different matter altogether. A refusal to help is not the same thing as trying to help; it's trying not to help.

...by saying there is nothing else they can do. Get over it.

Except, of course, there is something they can do, and they did it when they turned off the survey. They could exclude some accounts from the survey. They could make the timeout period longer so people on slow connections can connect anyway. They could have it just skip the survey for that person if the timeout failed, instead of locking them out of the game. They could do a lot of things; they just choose not to.

The bottom line is that this guy can play the game -- he does it on a regular basis. He's not having a problem playing the game (though I hope to all that's holy I never raid with him ... though given some of the afk people I've been grouped with, on second thought, he might actually be an improvement). He can play the game, but Blizzard's server times out on a non-game item, which is their system survey. And they won't change anything (even from "if no response, lockout" to "if no response, skip it") ... nor even apologize ... they just tell the guy to move. That's kinda rude.
90 Troll Shaman

im sorry but its not blizzards fault you can not play. If you knew you did not meet the requirements of the game then why buy it? I don't go look at a game my comp can't run and think to myself "im going to buy this and then complain to the company when it does not work on my PC due to me not meeting the min requirements that I can clearly read right here on the box"

Blizzard can not just up and change the game so that you can run it, nor would they.

Go play another game. Stop trying to play games you clearly can't run because of internet problems and/or PC problems.

When I bought it I did have high-speed connectivity, but after some storm damage the cable company never bothered to fix it because, quite frankly, I am probably the only person out here that was using it.

My computer is fine, it's probably as good as if not better than yours, but I don't have control over the cable company.
85 Human Death Knight

How was it inconsiderate? He/she was merely stating the facts and answering the question at hand. What else do you expect them to say? No offense, but you're the one who is acting inconsiderate here.

It's inconsiderate because Blizzard's general stance has been moving towards using internet connectivity to battle piracy. While that may not apply here, it's also inconsiderate because I know for a fact that I can do everything in WoW on dial-up with the exceptions of raiding/dungeons; unless I am subjected to these submissions.

I can go to the library for updates or whatever, but I can't do it every time to log in during these surveys.

company's have a right to do surveys. Its how they get info on what people are using/needing.

Im assuming that the survey is getting your system specs. If that's the case then they are most likely using the survey to find out what most people are running the game on so they can target a larger group of people when making new games or updating current ones.

If their min requirements are higher then what you have then it means you are most likely a part of a very small group of people who run the game with those system specs, meaning it will benefit blizzard more to target the market of people who are running systems better then yours.
90 Troll Shaman
company's have a right to do surveys. Its how they get info on what people are using/needing.

Im assuming that the survey is getting your system specs. If that's the case then they are most likely using the survey to find out what most people are running the game on so they can target a larger group of people when making new games or updating current ones.

If their min requirements are higher then what you have then it means you are most likely a part of a very small group of people who run the game with those system specs, meaning it will benefit blizzard more to target the market of people who are running systems better then yours.

So have a survey system that is low-connection friendly. Or, better yet, enable an independent submission where I, or anyone else, could submit my system specs once and just call it a day.
85 Dwarf Hunter

im sorry but its not blizzards fault you can not play. If you knew you did not meet the requirements of the game then why buy it? I don't go look at a game my comp can't run and think to myself "im going to buy this and then complain to the company when it does not work on my PC due to me not meeting the min requirements that I can clearly read right here on the box"

Blizzard can not just up and change the game so that you can run it, nor would they.

Go play another game. Stop trying to play games you clearly can't run because of internet problems and/or PC problems.

When I bought it I did have high-speed connectivity, but after some storm damage the cable company never bothered to fix it because, quite frankly, I am probably the only person out here that was using it.

My computer is fine, it's probably as good as if not better than yours, but I don't have control over the cable company.

Why are you arguing against fact? Blizzard cannot offer support to people whose problem is that they do not meet minimum system requirements.

The only thing they can reasonably say is "you need to find a way to meet the minimum requirements". That's all they can do. It's not offensive. There's simply nothing else that can be done.
90 Troll Shaman
Why are you arguing against fact? Blizzard cannot offer support to people whose problem is that they do not meet minimum system requirements.

The only thing they can reasonably say is "you need to find a way to meet the minimum requirements". That's all they can do. It's not offensive. There's simply nothing else that can be done

Actually, they can, as is apparent by the fact that the majority of the time I can access most of the content in WoW. The exceptions being the times when surveys are rolling.

As I mentioned before, SCII had an offline mode, and while that does not directly apply here, I'll be facing these same issues with D3 because I can't play offline. WoW needs to be online, other games do not. Generally speaking I am simply fed up with pompous forum posters that think high-speed connections are available in every corner of the world.
100 Draenei Warrior
"company's have a right to do surveys. Its how they get info on what people are using/needing."

Of course they do. But since the survey is never finishing for the people whose connections aren't clearly doing the job, they're not getting the data either way, right? Have it try a minimum number of times (3, 5, whatever, something arbitrary) and then have it give up for that particular period of time, or set up the survey so that it gives them enough time to send the data (thereby actually GIVING them the data they're seeking instead of denying it via some equally arbitrary timeout).

To the person with the problem, have you tried contacting whoever's in charge of franchise agreements or whatnot in your area? If you previously had service, and the company really was too lazy to bother fixing it, that's also some shoddy customer service going on and an issue that you might be able to get local government officials or representatives to look into.
85 Undead Warlock
That's seriously the blue response? I'm on 15mbit broadband, and I find that somewhat...offensive? Insensitive? Being told that the only solution is to physically move to another location is a legitimate answer from customer support? There are plenty of people out there who may be stuck living in places not of their choosing doomed to dial-up or satellite internet services who *don't* have an option to move. I guess I expect better from Blizzard.

It would make more sense to me that Blizzard acknowledge this is a shortcoming, adjust the survey so that instead of shutting off after a certain period and not allowing the user to log in it instead just takes its time to properly send the information. While I'd agree in this day and age it probably does affect a small minority of customers, I just find it offensive that it's acceptable to tell those customers the only solution is to move. I have several friends in the military who are in that boat, and will be unable to secure better connections until they're stationed somewhere else.

Veres, *my* suggestion to your friend would be for him to temporarily take his machine to someone else's house or his workplace, somewhere he can connect faster, and do the upload from there. It's also not a perfect solution, but it's better than nothing. I'd think that would work.

I run satellite internet and I run waaaay more than fast enough for the minimums. satellite does not mean too slow
90 Troll Shaman
05/01/2012 08:25 PMPosted by Addyison
To the person with the problem, have you tried contacting whoever's in charge of franchise agreements or whatnot in your area? If you previously had service, and the company really was too lazy to bother fixing it, that's also some shoddy customer service going on and an issue that you might be able to get local government officials or representatives to look into.

I'm not actually "the" person having the problem, but it was something I actually pursued. Unfortunately, the company that was originally my provider was taken over and it quickly became apparent that nothing I could do would have any effect.

I run satellite internet and I run waaaay more than fast enough for the minimums. satellite does not mean too slow

Don't you have issues with the caps though? I suppose it depends on where you live and who your provider is.
Edited by Shamtastik on 5/1/2012 8:30 PM PDT
85 Undead Warlock

So have a survey system that is low-connection friendly. Or, better yet, enable an independent submission where I, or anyone else, could submit my system specs once and just call it a day.

so they should gimp the system to take longer, and be less reliable, because a few people don't meet the minimum requirements they have posted?
85 Undead Warlock
and no, i don't have issues, i run quite well.
90 Troll Shaman
05/01/2012 08:33 PMPosted by Nardoc
so they should gimp the system to take longer, and be less reliable, because a few people don't meet the minimum requirements they have posted?

Or they could just let it try a few times, then give up if it doesn't work.
90 Human Paladin
I have satellite.. and I do pretty good for having 300-500ms constantly. I sometimes wonder how good I would be if I had 30ms like all the professional pvpers. It's hard to melee a target that has a good connection, so I'm stuck healing these days. how I miss having a job, money and com-cast. Some times you just have to make due. Been living like this for almost 4 years now, and it is very frustrating. I often think to myself, I should just quit and find some other hobby, but i <3 wow.
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Several years ago I had problems playing WoW because I was using a machine that had less RAM than the minimum requirements stated. Sure I could play, but if too much was going on at once it would become unplayable. I couldn't afford to upgrade my computer so I suffered through it until I could.

Your issue is internet connection speed rather than RAM, but the issue is on your end and not Blizzards. If you are unable to upgrade your connection speed like I couldn't upgrade my RAM then that's too bad. Crying for Blizzard to modify how their backend works to accomodate your inadequate system will do you no good.
90 Gnome Warrior
I played WoW for ~4 years on a 3G connection. Granted, I dealt with 200ms pings or higher, but it was *playable*.

The blue response of "get better internet" is, quite frankly, RUDE. For many of us, REAL Broadband isn't an option. We don't live in densely populated areas with Fiber Optic, Cable, or DSL. It's not PROFITABLE to run those services on a ~7 mile stretch of road with 8 houses. The Government's idea of RURAL BROADBAND is Satellite, which is terrible. For many of us, MOVING is the only option, and even then sometimes its not feasible.

Why do you feel the need to put words in other people's mouths?

If you say "I'm going to the store" and I say "you can't use the car because we are low on gas" are you going to turn around and say "OMG do you want me to starve? You are so inconsiderate! I can go to the store another way, you inconsiderate scum"? You're assuming that Blizzard actually told him something that they never said because you're manipulating what they are saying, which is childish. Any frustration you have is your own fault.
Edited by Berskowski on 5/1/2012 8:48 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Hunter
If you don't meet the minimum requirements posted on the box before purchasing said box (having a broadband connection), Blizzard doesn't even need to respond. This is entirely your fault and you need to fix your own mistake.
100 Night Elf Hunter
05/01/2012 07:36 PMPosted by Shamtastik

There really isn't much of a need to be sarcastic to the person trying to help you. It's not Blizzard's fault you don't have access to a faster internet connection.

There also isn't much of a need to tell someone that they need to move to effectively play a game. To be honest it doesn't bother me nearly as much with this as it does with the way D3 is going to work. At least with SCII I had access to an offline mode.

Quite frankly, there are a number of people that simply don't have access. It's not a money issue; it's a location issue. I never said it was anyone's fault, I just think the response was a little inconsiderate.

Boy oh boy. It never ceases me how low people will go to twist something into something else on these forums...just so they can accuse someone of saying something they obviously did not. Drama rules here.

If you (collective forum "you") can read with comprehehsion, it is quite clear that no one ever said anything about having to move. It is so dense in here sometimes that it is scary because one begins to really notice the NEED to make someone else the enemy any time they get an answer they do not like.

It is unfortunate when the problem is one with no simple solution, but it is really messed up when people turn it into an insult just because they need someone to kick.
100 Night Elf Hunter
05/01/2012 08:08 PMPosted by Wanderer
He didn't tell you to move, he said if you really want to keep playing you need to meet the minimum system requirements.

Which requires him (the guy with the problem, not the poster) to move. So he did in essence tell him to move. What else is he going to do to "meet the minimum requirements" if the only connection he can get where he lives is the one he has?

I understand you're upset about your situation...

If you read his posts, you'd see that it's not his situation that's the problem -- it's someone else who explained that was why he couldn't get on the game.

... but he was trying to help...

Actually, no, he wasn't trying to help. He was saying Blizzard wouldn't help. That's a different matter altogether. A refusal to help is not the same thing as trying to help; it's trying not to help.

...by saying there is nothing else they can do. Get over it.

Except, of course, there is something they can do, and they did it when they turned off the survey. They could exclude some accounts from the survey. They could make the timeout period longer so people on slow connections can connect anyway. They could have it just skip the survey for that person if the timeout failed, instead of locking them out of the game. They could do a lot of things; they just choose not to.

The bottom line is that this guy can play the game -- he does it on a regular basis. He's not having a problem playing the game (though I hope to all that's holy I never raid with him ... though given some of the afk people I've been grouped with, on second thought, he might actually be an improvement). He can play the game, but Blizzard's server times out on a non-game item, which is their system survey. And they won't change anything (even from "if no response, lockout" to "if no response, skip it") ... nor even apologize ... they just tell the guy to move. That's kinda rude.

Dude, you do realize that you are making this up (in your mind) as you go along, right?
Right?
/shakeshead
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]