Clicker needs help being a not clicker

90 Human Death Knight
Hello all,

I am looking for some advice, I have been playing casual PvE for a while but just recently burst onto the PvP scene. I know that using keybinds is superior to clicking and am looking to incorporate this advantage into my play-style. I just don't know how to do this.

I have a few ideas but also some questions.

Movement- Do you use the QWEASD keys to move, which has the advantage of strafe, or do you use the mouse, which lets you turn faster, to move?

Targeting- Is it better to target with tab or with the mouse?

Keys- Which keys do you use? Do you bind to 1,2,3 etc. and Shift+1, Shift+2, etc. or do you bind to letter keys? I was thinking of binding H to Heart Strike or T to Death Strike (since D might be used for movement?)

I know that ultimately it comes down to how I want to play it which can only come from trial and error. I will probably start by using keybinds in PvE and then in Duels and finally in PvP but I am just curious on some setups that others are using to get started on the trial and error process.

Of course if some other thread covers this well that would also be great. I just couldn't find one. Thanks all for your time.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I've been pvping for a while(since season 1), been duelist and 2200+ on multiple toons, and I've always gone by this:

WASD for movement, A+D for strafe, should only turn with the mouse (holding right click)

Targeting I use shift+tab(only because I use tab for auto run), typically if there's pets/totems I click to target, always having enemy name plates showing.

My keybinds are many and few at the same time, main ones are: 1, 2, 3, 4, Q, E, R, F, G, Z, X and C. I have a 5 button mouse(main 2 + wheel + forward and back buttons) the forward and back buttons are used for trinkets, wheel is used in conjunction with shift, ctrl and alt - I use things like ctrl+mousewheel up, shift+alt+mousewheel click, ctrl+alt+shift+ mousewheel down for a variety of my attacks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I move completely using my mouse. Its a razor naga, so my strafe keys are bound to it. That frees up my left hand for nothing but abilities. My main attacks are on 1-5 and F1-F4. Q is AMS and E is Mind freeze (stays the same on other toons. Q = defensive cooldown, E = interrupt). T and F are also bound to things. As is `. My hand rests with my pinkie on tab, ring finger - index finger on 2-4, and thumb on space (I am one of those people who jump far too often. Especially while standing in Org waiting for q... lol). I do have my W key still bound to forward, but I rarely use it.

I do quite a bit of tab targeting, but if there are a pile of people in my screen I'll click. In PvE I do more click targeting so I don't accidentally tab to another group of mobs and then howling blast them by accident...

As for not clicking spells, just don't let yourself. It feels kind of unnatural at first, and you will die a million times. But its the only way I found that worked. I also used to be a clicker when I first started on a hunter.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Here are my key binds because i feel like telling everybody

W A S D + Mouse for movement/strafe

1 2 3 4 f f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 - most used abilities

q e r 5 6 t x c v b tab shift-f - macroes/CD's/other core rotation abilities that aren't used so often.

g + shift-g for what ever ground or flying mount =)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I used to have the same problem of being a clicker and doing pvp then I bought a razor naga. If you have some extra cash I would recommend getting one. It is by far the most useful thing I have ever bought for wow. I have all my abilities bound from 1-12 then shift+1-12 and then my left over random spells are bound from ctrl+1-whatever. It took me about a month of playing everyday to every other day to master it. Best $80 I have ever spent.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Just a LITTLE bit off-topic, let me suggest turning on enemy name plates for PvP. I use tab targetting 90% of the time, but in big fights I will click on the name plate. This also helps you target the lowest HP baddy in a fight, and it lets you see bad guys through walls!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Six
Movement: I mainly use QWES, and sometimes A and D in combination with Q and E to strafe around while turning.

Targetting: Mouse primarily, rarely tab as while tanking I need to select specific targets that are low on threat.

Keys: Whatever you decide to do, when learning new keybinds, start small and work your way up. I use 1-5, FGXC+mods, 2-3+mods, Mouse4-5+mods. What I suggest you do is if you play on alts, use key binds that are similar for each class.
EG: Ground Targetted spells for me are Alt+C, DnD, Healing Rain, Rain of Fire, Hurricane, Heroic Leap.
My major cooldowns (5min) are usually Alt+G.
Mid CD or Oh !@#$ button is G.
Minor Cd's are Alt+X.

Also keep your main abilities in positions that are comfortable to spam. May not necessarily be in positions 1, 2, 3. And learn to move around while your fingers are in positions that can easily get back to your keybinds so it may be worth pressing both mouse buttons to move while doing different things with your other hand.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Start slow and give yourself time to let the keybinds sink in. It will be really annoying for a while. But its well worth it, as your timing and overrall speed in reaction will be so much better. And it will help you to transition on other characters that you level, by using the same keybinds for similiar abilities. (On all characters my Archaeology Search is S-4(shift + 4))(Ctrl + ~ for mount). Making a mount Macro that uses your Flying mount(if your not in a dungeon or BG) or your Ground mount is great for this!

I highly recommend getting Bartender and using it to setup your keys and UI. Makes it much easier than the blizzard interface. And you can reduce the size of your buttons and move everything where you'd prefer it.

I use Shift and Ctrl keybinds for the 1-6 keys and C, V, B, N,

G is AOE like Blizzard, Warlock AOE, Earthquake, etc.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
The accent is comical, and very educational. Good tips...enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZLPzCuejWQ&feature=related
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Get a Razer Naga
/thread
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Razer naga is overpriced and not worth it if you know what you're doing.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Razor naga is amazing. Bind all your attacks to thumb buttons. Then add shift and alt for more buttons. No more clicking. Win.
Reply Quote
84 Goblin Death Knight
Movement WASD, turning by mouse.

Abilities are:
12345 QERTFXC
With Shift, Alt and Ctrl modifiers as well
I use a Razer Imperator mouse so I have the thumb buttons set to Alt and Ctrl as I personally hate pressing them on my keyboard while I'm running around like a spastic.

Also mouse wheel click (which I don't really use for my DK, usually as a stop casting macro for my fire mage) and mouse buttons 4 and 5 with shift/alt ctrl modifiers for useless stuff I don't use in combat.

As a start don't use this many, as lots of them will be taken up by @focus or arena 1 2 3 functions and that will not be your first task.

Everyone keybinds differently (my friends think I'm weird, but I find theirs annoying) but perhaps for a start try (For Frost):

E = Obliterate
F = Frost Strike
T = Howling Blast (if it is comfortable for you, you'll be pressing it a lot =p)
F = Necrotic Strike

Just watched the video Borko posted and I would recommend it.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
what.. some peoples keybinds are crazy to me haha. Q E R F Wheel up most used attack abilities for me. for DK anyway... spam F (oblit) and wheel up (RP dump at same time) oooh.

But great advice in here do what is most natural to you.

edit: has naga mouse as well so no need for many shift mods/alt mods to any of these keys as frost dk anyways.
Edited by Broolstoryco on 5/2/2012 12:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
05/01/2012 12:34 PMPosted by Noagain
Razor naga is amazing. Bind all your attacks to thumb buttons. Then add shift and alt for more buttons. No more clicking. Win.

you can add shift mods to naga?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Here are my key binds because i feel like telling everybody

W A S D + Mouse for movement/strafe

1 2 3 4 f f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 - most used abilities

q e r 5 6 t x c v b tab shift-f - macroes/CD's/other core rotation abilities that aren't used so often.

g + shift-g for what ever ground or flying mount =)

so in a fight you move using mouse exclusively? Since you have to take hand off WASD to press 1234 and epecially f1f2f3f4
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]