Brewmaster Tanking Guide

90 Orc Death Knight
05/03/2012 08:56 PMPosted by Judgesyou
Every time I remember I have to start a Monk at level 1 I get a little less excited.

Leveling is so easy in WoW since the buff they gave to xp gains a while back. Toss on a couple of heirlooms, make use of the repeatable training quest that gives you 50% xp from kills AND quests for 2 hours, and you'll be 90 in no time.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Just finished the guide. Good read, seems solid enough (though to be fair I can't fully judge it because I've barely touched the beta). I do have one question/comment though:

You recommend reforging out of mastery and into parry. Is the conversion rate for mastery too low or something? On the face of it the brewmaster mastery seems very useful. I'd think you'd likely be better off reforging whatever the other stat is on any given piece of gear.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
08/03/2012 09:29 AMPosted by Guidance
I didn't notice before:
Shuffle buffle

;)

1) How often do you gain Elusive Brew at 90 in raids?
2) What's your average Shuffle uptime on a 90 raid boss?

Depends on the weapon. 2H vs DW is supposed to generate them at the same rate, but I've found DW to be more constant. They do seem to come quickly, and given the high dodge boost from Elusive Brew, it almost feels like you could use it like Savage Defense. A short burst of dodge instead of a long dodge cooldown.

Shuffle uptime varies wildly. There's so many factors that affect it that I think we may end up dropping the subject entirely.

Here's a log for Garalon, which is a pretty straightforward fight:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/3n3lud8ewtpbqgwk/details/16/?s=2151&e=2530

Looks like he did a great job compared to most parses I've been looking at.

We can see he only used Elusive Brew twice. Looks like he was only using it at max stacks. However, he gained 52 stacks! That's 52 individual uses he could have used to greatly increase his dodge chance for one attack! Makes you wonder...

But to answer your first question, 52 charges over 380 seconds is a new charge ever 7.3 seconds.

As for Shuffle, standing in front of the boss and not moving around much, he had 79% Shuffle uptime. However, he wasn't able to keep up Tiger Power. Interesting. That's with his very high hit/expertise too!
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Just finished the guide. Good read, seems solid enough (though to be fair I can't fully judge it because I've barely touched the beta). I do have one question/comment though:

You recommend reforging out of mastery and into parry. Is the conversion rate for mastery too low or something? On the face of it the brewmaster mastery seems very useful. I'd think you'd likely be better off reforging whatever the other stat is on any given piece of gear.

It's a very interesting stat, but it's hard to determine its value. You can look at it in two ways:

From an Effective Health standpoint, more master means you take less burst damage. Each individual attack is slightly less likely to kill you. That's not bad, but Stamina does a better job at that.

You've also got to consider the overall Damage Reduction, and mastery doesn't reduce damage by itself. It simply redirects the damage into a DoT, which can then be removed with Purifying Brew. If you don't do the brew, you don't get ANY value out of mastery for damage reduction. So, mastery's DR value is entirely tied to when and how often you use Purifying Brew.

So we've tried mathing this out. And it's not easy to attach a number value to it because it provides EH and DR, but it keeps coming out behind the damage reduction that avoidance provides over time.

Now combine that with the fact that you and everyone else who is new to Brewmasters are probably not so good at timing your Purifying Brews at the most optimal moment. So you probably won't get the same value out of mastery as a simulation.

Considering that, I feel like parry is the clear winner.

However, I'll also add that you probably won't notice a large difference either way, and if you're sharing gear between your Brewmaster and Windwalker specs (as players often do at the beginning of an expansion while gearing up), reforging mastery would be a better idea.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Your points are taken, however I think you misunderstood my question. Sure, I can see choosing parry over mastery as what you choose to reforge to, however the guide states:

Reforge out of mastery and into parry.

Explicitly suggesting you reforge any mastery you have to parry. What I'm saying is that I'd think in most cases you'd want to reforge out of crit/haste/hit/exp and into whatever your defensive stat of choice is (be it parry or mastery). Or are you truly suggesting that you should actively reforge away from mastery? While I understand that all stats have value to a brewmaster, I would think that one who uses PB properly would value mastery over crit or haste.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Yeah, mastery is currently worth less than crit and haste.

Here's the most recent calculations, although I think he's valuing haste too highly.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/8674/tcmonktankejstats020820.png

I don't expect it to stay like that, though.
Edited by Communism on 8/3/2012 1:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Interesting, thanks for clarifying. I need to start playing with a pre-made monk, just been leveling one from 1 with spare time.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Yep, I think I'll expand that section to clarify.

Also, fun fact: Aside from not using dodge and parry, Windwalkers prefer the same stat priority. So for dual purpose gear, you'd want haste>crit>mastery.
Edited by Communism on 8/3/2012 1:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Doesn't mastery still increase parry?
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Nope, and that's mostly why the value plummeted. It used to be our best stat.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Yeah, mastery is currently worth less than crit and haste.

Here's the most recent calculations, although I think he's valuing haste too highly.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/8674/tcmonktankejstats020820.png

I don't expect it to stay like that, though.

...Still higher than Stamina! >_> <_<
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
08/03/2012 06:55 PMPosted by Communism
Nope, and that's mostly why the value plummeted. It used to be our best stat.

Oh I missed that change :3
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Bump because it's updated again!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]