Holy Priest PvP Guide 4.3.4

85 Goblin Priest
Given the recent influx in players choosing to play Holy, threads on the forums, and people whispering me in-game, I've decided to take it upon myself and create a guide of sorts to provide some insight into this fun specialization.

I. Talent Overview
II. Glyphs
III. Race
IV. Professions
V. Stat Priority
VI. Gems
VII. Trinkets
VIII. Spells
IX. Arena Compositions

I. Talent Overview

Holy

Tier 1:

Improved Renew: Increases the amount healed by your Renew spell by 5/10%. (Required)

Empowered Healing: Increases the healing done by your Flash Heal, Heal, Binding Heal and Greater Heal by 5/10/15%. (Required)

Divine Fury: Reduces the casting time of your Smite, Holy Fire, Heal and Greater Heal spells by 0.15/0.35/0.5 sec. (Required)

Tier 2:

Desperate Prayer: Instantly heals the caster for 30% of their total health. (Required)

Surge of Light: You have a 3/6% chance when you Smite, Heal, Flash Heal, Binding Heal or Greater Heal to cause your next Flash Heal to be instant cast and cost no mana. (Not Recommended)

Inspiration: Reduces your target's physical damage taken by 5/10% for 15 sec after getting a critical effect from your Flash Heal, Heal, Greater Heal, Binding Heal, Penance, Prayer of Mending, Prayer of Healing, or Circle of Healing spell. (Required)

Tier 3:

Divine Touch: Your Renew will instantly heal the target for 5/10% of the total periodic effect. (Required)

Holy Concentration: Increases the amount of mana regeneration from Spirit while in combat by an additional 15/30%. (Required)

Lightwell: Creates a Holy Lightwell. Friendly players can click the Lightwell to restore health over 6 sec. Attacks done to you equal to 30% of your total health will cancel the effect. Lightwell lasts for 3 min or 10 charges. (Required)

Tome of Light: Reduces the cooldown of your Holy Word spells by 15/30%. (Required)

Tier 4:

Rapid Renewal: Reduces the global cooldown of your Renew by 0.5 sec. (Optional)

Spirit of Redemption: Upon death, the priest becomes the Spirit of Redemption for 15 sec. The Spirit of Redemption cannot move, attack, be attacked or targeted by any spells or effects. While in this form the priest can cast any healing spell free of cost. When the effect ends, the priest dies. (Optional)

Serendipity: When you heal with Binding Heal or Flash Heal, the cast time of your next Greater Heal or Prayer of Healing spell is reduced by 10/20% and mana cost reduced by 5/10%. Stacks up to 2 times. Lasts 20 sec. (Required)

Tier 5:

Body and Soul: When you cast Power Word: Shield or Leap of Faith, you increase the target's movement speed by 30/60% for 4 sec, and you have a 50/100% chance when you cast Cure Disease on yourself to also cleanse 1 poison effect in addition to diseases. (Required)

Chakra: When activated, your next Heal, Flash Heal, Greater Heal, Binding Heal, Prayer of Healing, Prayer of Mending, Mind Spike or Smite will put you into a Chakra state. (Required)

Revelations: While within Chakra: Serenity or Chakra: Sanctuary, your Holy Word: Chastise ability will transform into a different ability depending on which state you are in. (Required)

Blessed Resilience: Whenever you are victim of an attack equal to damage greater than 10% of your total health or critically hit by any non-periodic attack, you gain Blessed Resilience increasing all healing received by 15/30% lasting for 10 sec. (Required)

Tier 6:

Test of Faith: Increases healing by 4/8/12% on friendly targets at or below 50% health. (Required)

Heavenly Voice: Increases the healing done by your Divine Hymn spell by 50/100%, and reduces the cooldown by 2.5/5 minutes. (Required)

Circle of Healing: Heals up to 5 friendly party or raid members within 0 yards of the target for 2309 to 2551. Prioritizes healing the most injured party members. (Optional)

Tier 7:

Guardian Spirit: Calls upon a guardian spirit to watch over the friendly target. The spirit increases the healing received by the target by 60%, and also prevents the target from dying by sacrificing itself. This sacrifice terminates the effect but heals the target of 50% of their maximum health. Lasts 10 sec. (Required)

Discipline

Tier 1:

Improved Power Word: Shield: Increases the damage absorbed by your Power Word: Shield by 10/20%. (Required)

Twin Disciplines: Increases your Shadow and Holy spell damage and healing by 2/4/6%. (Optional)

Mental Agility: Reduces the mana cost of your instant cast spells by 4/7/10%. (Required)

Tier 2:

Soul Warding: Reduces the cooldown of your Power Word: Shield ability by 1/2 sec. (Required)
Edited by Rilaks on 5/3/2012 8:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Shadow

Tier 1:

Darkness: Spell haste increased by 1/2/3%. (Not Recommended)

Veiled Shadows: Decreases the cooldown of your Fade ability by 3/6 sec, and reduces the cooldown of your Shadowfiend ability by 30/60 sec. (Optional)

II. Glyphs

Prime

Glyph of Guardian Spirit
Glyph of Power Word: Shield
Glyph of Renew

Major

Glyph of Desperation
Glyph of Prayer of Mending
Glyph of Mass Dispel (Could use Glyph of Inner Fire for RBGs)

Minor

Glyph of Fortitude
Glyph of Shackle Undead
Glyph of Levitate

All-Purpose Talent Build:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/talent-calculator#Xc01!gjag!SQbhedhWSTd!!egSklOmoq

III. Race

Alliance

1. Night Elf
2. Gnome
3. Draenei

Horde

1. Goblin
2. Undead
3. Troll

IV. Professions

1. Tailoring
2. Any that provide 80 intellect

V. Stat Priority

4% Spell Hit
195 Spell Penetration
4500+ Resilience

Intellect > Spirit > Mastery > Haste > Crit

VI. Gems

Meta:
Ember Shadowspirit Diamond
Forlorn Shadowspirit Diamond
Enigmatic Shadowspirit Diamond (Troll Only)

Red Socket:
Brilliant Inferno Ruby

Yellow Socket:
Willful Lava Coral

Blue Socket:
Purified Demonseye

Prismatic Socket (Belt):
Brilliant Inferno Ruby

VII. Trinkets

Slot 1:
Cataclysmic Gladiator's Medallion of Tenacity/Cataclysmic Gladiator's Medallion of Tenacity (Excludes Humans)

Slot 2:
Darkmoon Card: Tsunami
Heart of Unliving
Cataclysmic Gladiator's Badge of Dominance
Cataclysmic Gladiator's Insignia of Dominance (Humans Only)

All-Purpose Character Template:
http://chardev.org/profile/391597-Holy-Template.html
Edited by Rilaks on 5/4/2012 7:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
VIII. Spells

Inner Will vs Inner Fire:
You will use Inner Will the majority of the time, only when enemy players are training you should Inner Fire be used. However, should enemy players use their burst cooldowns, you may want to use Inner Fire in case they decide to switch their burst on to you at a later time. Make sure you remember to switch back to Inner Will after the pressure has settled, otherwise you will eat up a lot of your mana as a result.

Chakra State:
You will almost always be in Serenity State; Sanctuary and Chastise States simply aren't worth it, I will elaborate on later in this guide.

Lightwell:
In Arena, I would place it somewhere off to the side so they're not in a position to immediately destroy it. Lightwell has a 20 yard range, can be used while you are crowd controlled, and will not cause you to deselect your current target. Take into consideration the map you are fighting in, as Lightwell could act as a chain of sorts, forcing you to hover around a certain location if positioned poorly.

Guardian Spirit:
This is your big defensive cooldown and since it has two functions, the way in which you use it is very situational.

While active it will increase healing taken by the target by 60%, from any source, so you can be very creative sometimes based on who you place it on. For example, if a Mage hasGlyph of Evocation and you place Guardian Spirit on them, their Evocation will heal them more than usual.

If you decide to use it in a sacrificial way, to prevent a player (or yourself) from dying, since it only lasts 10 seconds it's very important that you time it correctly. For example, using it on a target who's at 30% health, may not "die" under 10 seconds.

The effectiveness of Guardian Spirit all hinges on when you use it. I will typically use it in a sacrificial way if I don't think I'll be able to freely top a player (or myself) off, whether it be getting crowd controlled or being at great risk of getting silenced/interrupted, and I throw it on around the 10-15% health range. Rarely do I use Guardian Spirit for it's healing bonus; I will only use it in a non-sacrificial way if the enemy DPS cease their pressure to let the buff run out.

If using it in a sacrificial way, it also allows you to freely eat crowd control and silences. For example, say my arena partner is around 20% hp and I'm about to get crowd controlled, I can throw Guardian Spirit on my partner and eat the crowd control. My partner isn't at risk of dying because Guardian Spirit will sacrifice itself, and I save the cooldown on my trinket for later.

Holy Word: Chastise:
You will only leave Serenity state and use Chastise (the spell, not the state) if there is a low risk of getting interrupted/silenced. The risk of using Chastise is that you have to leave Serenity state in order to use the spell, and as you know, in order to get into Serenity state you have to cast Heal, Flash Heal, Binding Heal, or Greater Heal, and if you're interrupted or silenced, you can quickly fall behind in heals because of how important Holy Word: Serenity is to maintaining health pools.

Healing Spells:

(Ascending to descending order)

Holy Word: Serenity
Prayer of Mending
Power Word: Shield
Renew

HW: Serenity is one of the most crucial healing spells in a Holy Priest's arsenal and should be used whenever off cooldown.

Holy Word: Serenity
Heal: 14,000 @ 9455 SP, non crit
Mana: 800 w/ Inner Will & Mental Agility
Cooldown: 7 sec. w/ Tome of Light

You should be able to maintain your health pool as well as your group and/or raid's health pools with moderate enemy pressure using the above spells.

For situations that calls for burst healing, I would recommend HW:Serenity into (2) Flash Heals, followed up with a Greater Heal. The great thing about Holy Priests is they obtain the Serendipity talent, which at two stacks makes Greater Heal a 1.5 second base cast, and cost roughly 1,300 less mana than Flash Heal.

Binding Heal/Greater Heal combos also work well when pressure is spread among three targets. You can cast two Binding Heals to cover yourself and another player, then cast a Greater Heal on a third player.

Renew uptime is really good for Holy Priests and helps manage spread pressure quite well. Furthermore, since you'll be in Chakra: Serenity, direct healing spells refresh Renew, including the heal fromGlyph of Power Word: Shield.

IX. Arena Compositions

2v2

Priest/Mage
Priest/Rogue
Priest/Death Knight
Priest/Feral Druid
Priest/Warrior

3v3

Priest/Mage/Rogue
Priest/Ret/Unholy DK
Priest/Mage/Feral

If you have any questions, comments, or corrections, feel free to let me know and I will update accordingly.
Edited by Rilaks on 5/3/2012 8:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I'm not sure why you have a race section in your post with no real information tied to it. What I find even stranger is that you don't list humans for alliance whom happen to have the best PvP racial in the game.

PWS glyph seems like a strange choice to me.

While I do love holy I have to say for arenas it's really not a great spec especially for 2s and 3s. Any team with half a brain is going to kill your lightwell right away and dispell your guardian spirit. If you are up against a disc priest in 2s they are going to eat your face unless they suck. In which case you are playing against low ranked players.
Edited by Elisavetta on 5/3/2012 10:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Nice guide. To respond to the post above, PWS glyph is necessary because that heal counts as a direct heal which refreshes renew while in serentiy. Also guardian spirit is not dispellable.

I would have to disagree with divine touch being required though simply because when you keep rolling renews on someone divine touch is wasted. It only procs on the actual renew cast and not on the refreshing of it. This is really just a matter of preference though.

Overall nice post though.

Edit:

You should also add the lightwell clicking macro for those that want to try it out since it's incredibly useful. Put these on 3 keys in a row. You should be able to get so fast that if you blink you wont even see that lightwell was targeted.

/target lightwell
interact with target
target last target
Edited by Priestiality on 5/3/2012 11:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
05/03/2012 10:42 AMPosted by Elisavetta
I'm not sure why you have a race section in your post with no real information tied to it. What I find even stranger is that you don't list humans for alliance whom happen to have the best PvP racial in the game.

I don't really need to list the information on the races, most players know about them, and if I designed this guide for a new player then it would be significantly longer and oversimplified.

Humans are the best, for certain class/spec combinations. Firstly, a Holy Priest needs minimum of 4500 resilience, that requires 1 resilience trinket. Secondly, if facing a particular comp or running RBGs, you need 5000 resilience as a Holy Priest, thus requiring 2 resilience trinkets. That being said, Humans hardly have "the best PvP racial in the game".

So then it comes down to Battlemaster or Insignia of Dominance vs Racials.

Shadowmeld > BM or Insig
Escape Artist > BM or Insig
Gift of the Naaru > BM or Insig

PWS glyph seems like a strange choice to me.

Then you obviously haven't PvP'd much as Holy, or even as Disc.

While I do love holy I have to say for arenas it's really not a great spec especially for 2s and 3s. Any team with half a brain is going to kill your lightwell right away and dispell your guardian spirit. If you are up against a disc priest in 2s they are going to eat your face unless they suck. In which case you are playing against low ranked players.

You've never played an arena match, which explains quite a bit regarding your lack of knowledge for PvP.

I also find it quite hilarious that you think Guardian Spirit can be dispelled, get your facts straight please.

This is not a thread discussing the differences, pros, or cons between Holy and Discipline, so create your own thread and quit hijacking this one, thanks :)

I would have to disagree with divine touch being required though simply because when you keep rolling renews on someone divine touch is wasted. It only procs on the actual renew cast and not on the refreshing of it. This is really just a matter of preference though.

It's required as a filler talent, and although the uptime of Renew does negate some of its usefulness, it's more consistent and likely more healing than say Surge of Light. Secondly, it's required if you want access to the Rapid Renewal talent, which is quite useful for 5v5 and RBGs.

Thanks for the macro, personally I'd rather not use up another keybind for an ability that may or may not see to its expiration, especially since I never have any issue with getting Lightwell charges.
Edited by Rilaks on 5/3/2012 2:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
05/03/2012 02:33 PMPosted by Rilaks
Thanks for the macro, personally I'd rather not use up another keybind for an ability that may or may not see to its expiration, especially since I never have any issue with getting Lightwell charges.

Your choice but I also clicked it for 1 year before making the switch over. I have now been using the keybind for about a year and a half and its been a huge difference. You never need to worry about keeping lightwell in your camera view. Even small delays in mousing over it and clicking it are a decrease in potential healing. People standing on it and spell effects can also make it hard to click. It's a huge benefit to keybind lightwell, trust me.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Very strange meta gems you are recommending.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Rilaks, I've been looking for a guide like this for close to a month. Thank you so much for putting all this information together. My baby priest is 70 now, and I can't wait to pvp as holy.

One note though, is to soften your combative tone. "You've never played an arena match, which explains quite a bit regarding your lack of knowledge for PvP." and "Then you obviously haven't PvP'd much as Holy, or even as Disc." isn't the kind of professional stance you want to take. People are always going to disagree with you, no matter what you do. Just shrug it off. Haters gonna hate.

ps: Voted for sticky.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
05/03/2012 03:27 PMPosted by Mirae
Very strange meta gems you are recommending.

Ember is great for Disc because greater mana pool, greater mana returns on Rapture, but Holy isn't dependent on total mana for mana returns like Disc.

The Enigmatic is just if you're a Troll, I've tested it out before and it's really great in conjunction with B&S.

@Gruk - Glad you're excited about playing a Holy Priest, and I'm glad I could help. I'm an argumentative and competitive person, and when players with little or no PvP experience as a Holy Priest make claims about the spec, it will more than likely show through. Lol @ professionalism, I couldn't be further away from professional.
Edited by Rilaks on 5/3/2012 3:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Sorry Rilaks. Disagree with your discussion on Chastise. I exclusively pvp as Holy. I always have. Chastise is one of my strongest spells (I've used it since wrath) and if I use it properly it buys me time to reenter chakra if I want to.

Chastise/self-cast speed boost/ close-to-range and fear bomb is one of our game savers. "Blink this!"

I'd encourage readers to learn to master aggressive holy word:chastise and chakra switching. Settling for being underpowered is :( imo.

Yes we heal dispel heal dispel heal dispel etc like machine guns, but we absolutely can contribute directly to preventing a cap or a flag ninja and we certainly can contribute to enemy lockdown (using our instants).

I'd also say CoH isn't optional for BG groups.

Every instant we have is valuable.

Also, as Holies are team players, I think it's worth pointing out that a Holy will do very well to help their team learn to synergise with them. If you're playing with regular buddies explain to them that you WANT them to take ticks from nearby enemy ground effects. Smart team mates who understand how to bounce your poms and not waste charges, increase your survivability.

PS Given the human spirit racial and our ability to use HoU as a trinket, I'd say your omission of human as a preferred race is unexpected. Human holies have a significant resource advantage over pvp holies of other races imo. (Macro on use trinks to flash and greater... ...that way when you've bought yourself time (or enemy CD windows are appropriate) for fast switch serendipity chains, your ToF will be working on trink boosted casts).

PPS While I'm absolutely not saying you should do the following (it's simply what I found to be my personal preference after many weeks of working with chastise, it may or may not work for you)... ... I currently prefer both a mouse over chastise mouse bind AND a macroed (noharm/targetoftarget etc) keybind for it. I found the combination of two different activation methods the most useful to me and (perhaps oddly) fairly easy to assimilate to reflexive. Mouseover:aggressive. Keybind: defensive (avoidance).
Edited by Aerr on 5/3/2012 5:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
05/03/2012 03:47 PMPosted by Rilaks
Ember is great for Disc because greater mana pool, greater mana returns on Rapture, but Holy isn't dependent on total mana for mana returns like Disc.

Except your two main mana regen tools are both based off of max mana, as both hymn and fiend return 2% and 3%, thus having a larger mana pool increases your returns, not to mention if you have any replenishment affects on your team.

In my experience playing every healing class at 85, holy priests are the worst for mana efficiency so gimping your mana pool in favor of .4 seconds off a blanket silence seems like a poor trade off. >.>

Even with DVS, I could never agree with the enigmatic meta. Almost every snare in the game is automatically applied through basic attacks; having a shorter duration on a constantly reapplied snare is pointless, especially because of the way that our 4set works in only giving standard movement speed. Also, 54int is far greater than 54 crit.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
My opinions...

I'd encourage readers to learn to master aggressive holy word:chastise and chakra switching. Settling for being underpowered is :( imo.

#showtooltip Chakra
/cast Chakra
/cast Holy Word: Chastise

I use that - so if I'm targeting an enemy, I just hit that macro and chastise them immediately. Chastise is such a useful spell, but it's 100% situational. The wrong Chakra state can really mess your entire game. But when you're in 2s and the kill is called - stun, spike, win! You just have to be careful not to cast Prayer of Mending when you've Chastise or you end up in Sanctuary. (Which can be useful, but again, it's uber situational.)

Chastise is a really powerful spell. If you use GladiatorLoA (the add on that announces things), you can stop a Feral's Berserk, a Rogue's Shadowdance, Zealotry, Tree of Life... shortening the length of a DPS's burst is almost like effective healing.

--I really need to give up Surge of Light - but when it procs, a Chastise Macro then Surge of Light Flash Heal means you spend barely any time out of Serenity. But in Arenas I find myself free casting very infrequently since the instants work so well.

---

I know you don't recommend Mass Dispel for BGs, but I couldn't imagine going without it. Starting out I get that it's a lot harder to keep yourself alive, but dispelling can sometimes be better than instant heals. (e.g. Fire Mage DoTs)

---

While I see some Arena Healers take Improved Power Word Shield because they cast it more often, I don't tend to use it that much in general. I think that's a style choice. You can't reduce Weakened Soul, it's expensive, and in Arena there's rarely a need to hit it twice, thrice, or for a fifth time in a row. I think 3/3 in Twin Disciplines is very important for 2s in Arenas, so you can put Offensive Pressure as well.

I think other styles is going for Haste with Darkness and Veiled Shadows for more Shadowfiends. I've seen Bigbossman use Twisted Faith and Improved Psychic Scream for 2s, so he could have more CC and reforge for more throughput. One of those "just for 2s" type of specs.

I think what people underestimate about Holy is just how much healing you can do while applying pressure. Casting Mind Spikes that lock out your Shadow school saves you mana and still allows you heals. But if you can whittle away people's health, fear a healer, and then throw out your shadowfiend, you can really apply some good pressure in Arenas without killing your mana.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Chastise is one of my strongest spells (I've used it since wrath) and if I use it properly it buys me time to reenter chakra if I want to.

I highlighted the bold to emphasize my point on Chastise.

Anything you do in an aggressive manner in this game opens you up for the enemy to capitalize, which is why I recommend players to lean towards the side of caution when using the spell. I don't state to never use the spell, I recommend practicing your timing and learning to recognize when it's a good, and not so good, time to use Chastise.

05/03/2012 04:03 PMPosted by Aerr
I'd also say CoH isn't optional for BG groups.

It's optional outside of healing for RBGs, and I do include it in my all-purpose talent build link as shown above.

05/03/2012 04:03 PMPosted by Aerr
PS Given the human spirit racial and our ability to use HoU as a trinket, I'd say your omission of human as a preferred race is unexpected.

I guess I'll have to explain in greater detail why Humans aren't the best Alliance race for Holy Priests.

Firstly, Holy Priests don't have issues with mana consumption, so this notion that we need all the bonuses under the sun for mana regen. is a bit overboard.

Secondly, as I've already stated previously, as a Holy Priest you will need at least 1 resilience trinket for arenas, and 2 resilience trinkets for RBGs (and if you face bursty teams in 3s). So, given the fact that you will need one if not two of said trinkets regardless of your race somewhat diminishes the Human racial.

For example, a Human Holy Priest would be using two of the three following trinkets:
Cataclysmic Gladiator's Insignia of Dominance
Cataclysmic Gladiator's Badge of Dominance
Cataclysmic Gladiator's Emblem of Tenacity

So you gain access to two of the above trinkets, instead of one when a slot was previously occupied by the Medallion. It then comes down to having two of these trinkets vs the racials of other Alliance characters.

Shadowmeld: Removes combat (can then drink), clears focus, can eat spells in travel, you can dodge CC, and if there are no DoTs you are stealthed.

Escape Artist: Acts much like a third trinket by removing snare/root effects and not sharing cooldown with Medallion.

Gift of the Naaru: Heals target 20% of their total health over 15 seconds. A free heal, which indeed heals for quite a lot, AND to top it all off, is affected by BONUS HEALING EFFECTS. The caps were to make the point clear: Holy is all about bonus healing effects.

Spiritual Healing: 15% (Passive)
Twin Disciplines: 6% (Passive)
Test of Faith: 12% (@ or below 50%)
GoS: 60% (while active)
Blessed Resil: 30% (Self only)

Given all these bonuses to healing, that puts Gift of the Naaru way up there on the list of racials beneficial to a Holy Priest.

Utility will always have more of an impact in PvP, something a lot of you don't seem to notice.

05/03/2012 05:11 PMPosted by Mirae
In my experience playing every healing class at 85, holy priests are the worst for mana efficiency so gimping your mana pool in favor of .4 seconds off a blanket silence seems like a poor trade off. >.>

My point remains that if you're playing Holy correctly in PvP, you shouldn't be having any issues with mana. This isn't meant as a jab at you, or trying to imply that you don't have a clue on what you're talking about, merely that mana shouldn't be an issue.

05/03/2012 05:11 PMPosted by Mirae
Even with DVS, I could never agree with the enigmatic meta. Almost every snare in the game is automatically applied through basic attacks; having a shorter duration on a constantly reapplied snare is pointless, especially because of the way that our 4set works in only giving standard movement speed. Also, 54int is far greater than 54 crit.

Most of the auto-snares can be dispelled by Holy Priests. The B&S talent allows us to remove poisons, we've got cure disease, and dispel magic. That leaves us with the physical snares (hamstring, concussive shot, etc.) and those aren't auto-snares, so the shortened duration really is noticeable, plus it requires them to waste another gcd reapplying the snare.

I recommend it because I noticed a significant difference which benefited my mobility, if players feel that they would like a little more mana for the regen they can go that route too, but I didn't notice a difference in mana/regen w/o Ember.

Edit: I updated the guide to include Ember to avoid further confusion.
Edited by Rilaks on 5/3/2012 8:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Chastise is such a useful spell, but it's 100% situational. The wrong Chakra state can really mess your entire game.

Pretty much what I'm trying to point out with misuse of Chastise.

I know you don't recommend Mass Dispel for BGs, but I couldn't imagine going without it. Starting out I get that it's a lot harder to keep yourself alive, but dispelling can sometimes be better than instant heals. (e.g. Fire Mage DoTs)

I simply recommend the Inner Fire glyph because you are prone to having more targets train you in BGs (esp. RBGs), and the additional reduction in physical damage taken can help alleviate that pressure, whereas in my experience Mass Dispel is primarily used for Bubbles and Iceblocks. It's not required to use Inner Fire, just my recommendation of what glyph you might want to use in BGs and which glyph to replace it with.

While I see some Arena Healers take Improved Power Word Shield because they cast it more often, I don't tend to use it that much in general. I think that's a style choice. You can't reduce Weakened Soul, it's expensive, and in Arena there's rarely a need to hit it twice, thrice, or for a fifth time in a row. I think 3/3 in Twin Disciplines is very important for 2s in Arenas, so you can put Offensive Pressure as well.

@9455 SP, and 2/2 Imp Shield, it absorbs for 23,935 damage. It costs 500 mana less than Flash Heal, and comparatively does 5,627 more "healing". It also gives a nice speed buff, so I don't see why you wouldn't use it more liberally.

If 2v2 is your scene, I'd recommend this talent setup:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/talent-calculator#Xc01!Sjad!SQbheahWSgd!!egSklOmoq

If you cant afford to have a 2v2 spec, and can only have one PvP spec, the all-purpose spec I have linked in the guide is what I would go with.

@Haste setups - They're only good for short matches, and for 2v2 any team you play wont be a short match unless it's vs a double dps team. Good luck facing a healer/dps team, your mana regen will be very lackluster. Disc Priests can get away from reforging haste, because a big part of their mana regen is tied in with Rapture, which isn't Spirit dependent.
Edited by Rilaks on 5/3/2012 8:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

Anything you do in an aggressive manner in this game opens you up for the enemy to capitalize, which is why I recommend players to lean towards the side of caution when using the spell.

Caution? Well sod that, Nanna. Way to take all the fun out of our spec.

If you want to be cautious spec Dis. :P

/giggle

(Seriously though, probably rename thread to Rilaks' Holy pvp guide if you want a sticky/upvotes. Not saying your playstyle is wrong. Not sure it's universal though either.)
Edited by Aerr on 5/3/2012 10:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
05/03/2012 08:08 PMPosted by Rilaks
I simply recommend the Inner Fire glyph because you are prone to having more targets train you in BGs (esp. RBGs), and the additional reduction in physical damage taken can help alleviate that pressure, whereas in my experience Mass Dispel is primarily used for Bubbles and Iceblocks. It's not required to use Inner Fire, just my recommendation of what glyph you might want to use in BGs and which glyph to replace it with.

Actually, I've found the opposite. There have been times where the big Chakra in an RBG seems like target, but the fact that staying alive isn't the problem if you team knows how to peel when you call it out. Mass Dispel is critical for DoT Cleave teams when you didn't dispel the fire mage dot fast enough and suddenly everyone has a huge combust on them. Every tick you spare counts.

05/03/2012 07:53 PMPosted by Rilaks
Firstly, Holy Priests don't have issues with mana consumption, so this notion that we need all the bonuses under the sun for mana regen. is a bit overboard.

There's three situations where Mana Regen becomes a huge problem.

1.) Mana Burn. You have to use positioning, line of sight, and do as much as you can to avoid them, but if you've been CC'd in a way that you can't escape, mana burns can severely hurt you.

2.) DPS burst. When you go into a Holy Fire - Chastise - Mind Spike - Mind Blast damage burst, it eats up mana like crazy. Or if you're Mana Burning a lot, that can eat up mana too. 75% of your time is spent healing, 15% Dispelling, but putting offensive pressure can really make a difference if you spend 10% of your time doing it.

3.) Mass Dispel - Dispels. Dispels can eat a lot of your mana. Especially when there's two fire mages and you do nothing but Dispel Living Bombs.

That's where a Regen trinket can help. I'm not disagreeing and saying mana regen is overrated. It's just helpful if you need it. When you know you need to heal hard and dump your mana in these ways, that's when you really want your shadowfiend to then get in the fray and Hymn of Hope. You can even just break off, and then drink with a well placed Lightwell.

05/03/2012 08:08 PMPosted by Rilaks
@9455 SP, and 2/2 Imp Shield, it absorbs for 23,935 damage. It costs 500 mana less than Flash Heal, and comparatively does 5,627 more "healing". It also gives a nice speed buff, so I don't see why you wouldn't use it more liberally.

But that's just it - I'm not flash healing that much except when I need to burst out healing and its under the effect of HW: Serenity's Crit Buff. So Flash Heal has the potential to do more and I don't have to glyph the shield. Again, that's where I feel it's a style choice.

I believe Priests have the most style flexibility. I run with an Anti-Stun gem, and well, it's definitely the one I prefer over all else.

---

Let me say this before we get too contentious... Thanks for putting this information up there. I think it will help people try it out. I just want to be sure to note that there are a lot of choices that Priests can make and still be successful as they advance.
Edited by Feythylan on 5/4/2012 3:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
05/03/2012 10:18 PMPosted by Aerr
(Seriously though, probably rename thread to Rilaks' Holy pvp guide if you want a sticky/upvotes. Not saying your playstyle is wrong. Not sure it's universal though either.)

So using Chastise in an aggressive manner is the universal way of playing Holy? You, having never won a RBG or Arena match, sure make that claim with a lot of conviction. Using Chastise and switching states just doesn't cut it in rated PvP at a high mmr, HW:Serenity is just too crucial.

Mass Dispel is critical for DoT Cleave teams when you didn't dispel the fire mage dot fast enough and suddenly everyone has a huge combust on them. Every tick you spare counts.

Well firstly, that's more impart due to positioning; standing near each other is just asking to get combust-spread by a Fire Mage. Secondly, if you Mass Dispel your group, who knows what dispel protection you might eat (if any of them have VT and you're standing in that group, they'll all get horrored lol).

I have never used Mass Dispel in arena as a defensive dispel. DoT cleave teams aren't really an issue to begin with as Holy, it's easy to maintain health pools with the spread pressure.

1.) Mana Burn. You have to use positioning, line of sight, and do as much as you can to avoid them, but if you've been CC'd in a way that you can't escape, mana burns can severely hurt you.

Exactly, positioning. Your teammates should be able to interrupt/cc other priests during mana burns anyway, assuming you get CC'd in place.

2.) DPS burst. When you go into a Holy Fire - Chastise - Mind Spike - Mind Blast damage burst, it eats up mana like crazy. Or if you're Mana Burning a lot, that can eat up mana too. 75% of your time is spent healing, 15% Dispelling, but putting offensive pressure can really make a difference if you spend 10% of your time doing it.

Healing and damaging spells are not what put a drain on your mana, it's mostly impart to dispels that consume your mana. My point with the meta though, is that I didn't notice a difference in mana regen by not having the ember meta. The only time I ever had mana problems was when I reforged for 12.5% haste, just to test that particular setup.

3.) Mass Dispel - Dispels. Dispels can eat a lot of your mana. Especially when there's two fire mages and you do nothing but Dispel Living Bombs.

Yeah, if you're using Mass Dispel defensively, the 7800 mana cost will put a drain on your mana, but having the ember meta wont change that, it's a small benefit to your mana regen.

Look at it this way, I seldom use Fiend/HoH for mana regen, whether it be in RBGs or Arena.

But that's just it - I'm not flash healing that much except when I need to burst out healing and its under the effect of HW: Serenity's Crit Buff. So Flash Heal has the potential to do more and I don't have to glyph the shield. Again, that's where I feel it's a style choice.

I was merely using Flash Heal as a comparative example to show how useful PW:Shield is in healing. Feel free to not use the spell, but it helps you out immensely in maintaining health pools and helping mobility.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
While I appreciate all the effort that has gone into this guide and the responses to it, I have to wonder whether it's a little late in the game cycle to devote so much time to Holy PvP. With Mists of Pandaria looming ever nearer on the horizon how likely is this guide to be used in next two or three months. Not that many players read the forums, and few of them are newbies to the game. If you are into PvP and have been doing RBGs or Arena, you probably already know a lot of this stuff, and have figured out the gemming, chants, glyphs and talents that work best for you. If you're just getting into randoms and end-game content chances are by the time you figure some of this stuff out and start working on your rating you'll be picking up Mists and getting to 90 etc.

Nonetheless, thank you for the effort and I hope you'll have new insights to share down the road when 90 PvP starts.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
05/04/2012 08:09 AMPosted by Taheraliel
I have to wonder whether it's a little late in the game cycle to devote so much time to Holy PvP.

I knew that when I wrote this up, but it really wasn't very time consuming, and it's a common topic of discussion on these forums that I felt could be an informative addition should I write up a small guide.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]