High elf as a playable race

07/05/2012 03:55 PMPosted by Noitora
Why won't these threads die? T_T

It's something people want to address. Even if many would rather the discussion die off since it wont likely happen at any point in time.
08/16/2012 05:05 PMPosted by Jaelara
Given that both factions can now play Pandaren, I don't think "High Elves look too much like Blood Elves" has that much merit as an argument anymore.

The method in which Pandaren's were introduced makes them choosing sides far more feasible, even if i do myself want high elves. Barring the Pandaren, Blizzard doesn't want to make the Horde/Alliance appear interchangeable.
07/05/2012 07:15 PMPosted by Elenie
I give up. All hail the Lich King.

He's on "Vacation".
Edited by Letivus on 8/17/2012 10:25 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I remember being disappointed at vanilla launch when the high elves weren't in the Alliance... I had always deployed a lot of elven archers in warcraft 2 and had hoped to roll such a class. Numbers and balance issues be damned, there are still high elves in the Alliance (though fewer with the destruction of theramore) and the Alliance as already lost so much on the altar of "balance" and game design.

Did humans survive the plagues? make'em Scarlet crusaders! Would having another Alliance city --Stromgarde be unbalanced? Sack the city! Forsakenize their prince! Kul Tiras? Out to sea! Tol Barad? Screw The Alliance.. make it a bg-area! Gilneas? Wall it off... Worgenize them, drive them out! Dalaran too cool for just the Alliance? Make'em Neutral! (hopefully that changes in MoP) And for good measure let's slime Southshore, sludge Hillsbrad, flood Menethil, destroy Auberdine, flatten Northwatch and Obliterate Theramore... and for !@#$s and giggles let's blow up the SW park. The Stormpike get nuked, the Alliance can't win @ Anderhol and horde players still get to win @ Stonard. I'm sure there are some horde equivalent losses to this list... like the destruction of Taurajo and Kargath... but it's just the general feeling, as a former alliance player, that they just can't get a break... So balance be damned, Blizzard, just give them High Elves. Make them a vanity racial choice with Human or Nigh Elf traits if you have to...
Edited by Malistra on 9/3/2012 11:24 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Hunter
09/03/2012 11:15 PMPosted by Malistra
Did humans survive the plagues? make'em Scarlet crusaders! Would having another Alliance city --Stromgarde be unbalanced? Sack the city! Forsakenize their prince! Kul Tiras? Out to sea! Tol Barad? Screw The Alliance.. make it a bg-area! Gilneas? Wall it off... Worgenize them, drive them out! Dalaran too cool for just the Alliance? Make'em Neutral! (hopefully that changes in MoP) And for good measure let's slime Southshore, sludge Hillsbrad, flood Menethil, destroy Auberdine, flatten Northwatch and Obliterate Theramore... and for !@#$s and giggles let's blow up the SW park. The Stormpike get nuked, the Alliance can't win @ Anderhol and horde players still get to win @ Stonard. I'm sure there are some horde equivalent losses to this list... like the destruction of Taurajo and Kargath... but it's just the general feeling, as a former alliance player, that they just can't get a break... So balance be damned, Blizzard, just give them High Elves. Make them a vanity racial choice with Human or Nigh Elf traits if you have to...

Recently in the name of Balance Blizz did seem to destroy a lot of Alliance stuff. The other alternative would be to just add more Horde stuff but I guess they were too lazy for that.

Like the destruction of Theramore. There's no comparable target on the horde side because if it's not a capitol city, all horde cities are a dirt pile with 5 npcs.
90 Tauren Hunter
The problem with High Elves I can find are two things:

1) Faction imbalance, I often see many, many blood elves say they wish they could be Alliance. Now, if High Elves become playable a great amount of Blood Elves may go to the Alliance, thus breaking the faction balance, as tedious as it already is.
Not only would this make World PvP harder for Horde, but Alliance ques would be longer, cities would be more flooded, lag would increase.

2) They don't add anything to the Alliance. Archers? Night elves. Mages? Humans and Highborne. Refugee race? Gnomes. It's all be done before, there's no need to add more of the same stuff without over flowing.

Like the destruction of Theramore. There's no comparable target on the horde side because if it's not a capitol city, all horde cities are a dirt pile with 5 npcs.

Bilgewater Harbour could be destroyed I suppose.
Edited by Gruffe on 9/4/2012 12:02 AM PDT
90 Goblin Shaman
I totally agree... the lineup should have been

Alliance:
Humans
Night Elves
Dwarves
Gnomes
High Elves

Horde:
Orcs
Trolls
Tauren
Ogres
Goblins
90 Night Elf Hunter
I totally agree... the lineup should have been

Alliance:
Humans
Night Elves
Dwarves
Gnomes
High Elves

Horde:
Orcs
Trolls
Tauren
Ogres
Goblins

Based on WC3 the night elves should have joined the horde (along with theramore), and the alliance could have had high elves, blood elves, and forsaken.
85 Blood Elf Mage
09/04/2012 12:36 AMPosted by Threeslotbag
Based on WC3 the night elves should have joined the horde (along with theramore), and the alliance could have had high elves, blood elves, and forsaken.

The justification for why the Night Elves became a wordly race after Warcraft 3 is that they realized that isolationism was no longer the option if they wanted to protect their lands - so between the two worldly faction they chose the one that didn't have a fel-infused race that killed their living God.

So no.

As for High Elves, I'd like them because, unlike Humans, they look like spellcasters (relative to the models of orcs and night elves, anyway). Sure, this comes from the guy with a Blood Elf character as avatar, but I won't deny that Blizzard probably will focus on different races to add.

However, the argument that they look too much like Blood Elves doesn't hold any ground anymore.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
For people wondering where High Elves would start... you could just throw them into the regular human starting area... OR...

You could phase Theramore. From a story perspective, the place was supposed to have had a High Elven population, and it would allow players a way to revisit the city long after it's been converted into a hole in the ground.

The quests would have to be treated carefully so as not to make the fall of theramore scenario redundant... but it could be done. Maybe your elf is on a scouting mission, with the Theramore infiltrators, and has to ambush some of the advancing horde before fleeing to Theramore with the bad news. Or maybe you escape from Northwatch when the horde crushes the place.

Your High elf could then cheat death by heading out with Vereesa Windrunner before the bomb is dropped. After that... questing from Farstrider's Lodge in Loch Modan?
Edited by Malistra on 9/4/2012 11:29 AM PDT
90 Human Paladin
For people wondering where High Elves would start... you could just throw them into the regular human starting area... OR...

You could phase Theramore. From a story perspective, the place was supposed to have had a High Elven population, and it would allow players a way to revisit the city long after it's been converted into a hole in the ground.

The quests would have to be treated carefully so as not to make the fall of theramore scenario redundant... but it could be done. Maybe your elf is on a scouting mission, with the Theramore infiltrators, and has to ambush some of the advancing horde before fleeing to Theramore with the bad news. Or maybe you escape from Northwatch when the horde crushes the place.

Your High elf could then cheat death by heading out with Vereesa Windrunner before the bomb is dropped. After that... questing from Farstrider's Lodge in Loch Modan?

I think having their own phased starting area would be for the best. While Theramore does have a sizable High elf population, there's just so much going on there, it'd just be confusing. A phased Hinterlands could work. You start out as a Quel'danil Elf, fighting the local stuff like trolls, dragons, wildkin, maybe helping out the Wildhammer. But then we get notice of the Forsaken & other Horde forces in the area beginning to recruit the local forest trolls. We begin mobilizing, and as the conflict escalates we eventually see the Silver Covenant with Vereesa, Auric Sunchaser, and perhaps Arator & that one badass looking elf from Dragonblight, Captain Iskandar. They've come in to help their High Elven brethren & their Wildhammer allies against the forest trolls & their Forsaken/Horde allies. We have some fights across the whole zone, culminating with a grand battle at Jintha'Alor, where we fight against the forest troll forces under Warlord Rin'ji, a troll who Quel'danil had once captured. After this, Vereesa and Quel'danil's leaders agree to unite their forces into one and the players are given a quest to give to Varian and other assembled Alliance leaders in Stormwind a message from Vereesa about this High Elf organization's establishment & request to join the Alliance proper.
90 Night Elf Hunter
09/04/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Eldrethir
The justification for why the Night Elves became a wordly race after Warcraft 3 is that they realized that isolationism was no longer the option if they wanted to protect their lands - so between the two worldly faction they chose the one that didn't have a fel-infused race that killed their living God.

At the end of WC3 the NEs and the Horde were super best friends. They revered eachother's druids and shamen. The horde had just defended the world tree (and the trees around it) from the burning legion and understood how important they were, not just to the NEs.

The idea that horde would suddenly go nuts on Hyjal hills lumber is for gameplay and makes no sense lorewise.

There is no reason other than gameplay for the NEs to join the "Alliance of races that want to kill the Horde". The only Alliance rep that had ever come to Kalimdor was the insane Proudmoore.
85 Blood Elf Mage
At the end of WC3 the NEs and the Horde were super best friends. They revered eachother's druids and shamen. The horde had just defended the world tree (and the trees around it) from the burning legion and understood how important they were, not just to the NEs.

Night Elves don't have Shaman.

Tauren were only accepted into the Cenarion Circle much closer to WoW than to Warcraft 3.

Between the Alliance and the Horde, the Horde's fel-infused orcs still kinda killed the night elven living God.

And if Orcs weren't enough, Night Elves also have a milennial distaste or Tauren and Trolls.

Lastly, after the Horde defended Hyjal a particularly stubborn clan of Orcs (the same one that killed Cenarius no less) laid claim to part of Ashenvale, and the Warchief did nothing about it.

So, yeah, the Night Elves joined the Alliance.
Edited by Eldrethir on 9/4/2012 10:25 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Priest
I think playable High Elves are quite a possibility. I see a growing group of players asking for this. Don't think this won't get answered. I just think that this won't happen now but who knows the future?
90 Blood Elf Priest
I think this was already addressed here but... There is not enough high elves to justify them as a player race. They are beyond rare!
And in Cata, even more so since one High Elf lodge was lost...

Besides, like ppl already said too: High elves *are* the blood elves. Its the same people, exactly the same people. Its not a "sub race". Most blood elves alive today were born as high elves, remember?

I think its possible that alliance at some point get half-elves as a race. That I can see happening... Horde could get in turn Half-Ogres, just to balance things out.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
About the starting zone, they can do as they did with Goblins and Worgens, start the High Elf Lore long ago when Dalaran was still fixed on the ground.. near Lordaeron and bla bla bla.. afterall.. Dalaran = High Elf + Humans Spellcasters

I Would LOVE to create a High Elf.... or yet.. Half Elf.. theres a few arround there too... but it would be a realy nice new race....
I would like it if they made High Elves playable for the Alliance, and Dark Iron Dwarves playable for the Horde. And I formally sign away my rights to that idea, blizzard. Go for it.

It would be easy to implement because they're models would be mostly the same as pre-existing ones, and now that we have a faction-neutral race they can't use that excuse against playable High elves.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I think the main reason people want high elves is for RP. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Therefore, wouldn't it be easier to just give players a vanity item that gives them the likeness of a high elf, with a reasonably long duration and short cooldown/lasts-until-cancelled buff? That way people could RP high elves without the need to create an entire other race or zone.
85 Worgen Rogue
10/18/2012 05:52 PMPosted by Emedia
I would like it if they made High Elves playable for the Alliance, and Dark Iron Dwarves playable for the Horde. And I formally sign away my rights to that idea, blizzard. Go for it.

Terrible idea, since the Dark Irons are already part of the Alliance and offer much more interesting storytelling than generic High Elves.
1 Blood Elf Rogue
Don't think it would ever happen, even if it is sort of silly that they aren't. It'd be like if Trolls ended up an Alliance race.
09/18/2012 02:07 AMPosted by Phelioz
They are beyond rare!

The Shang Xi Academy and Bilgewater cartel didn't have particularly huge population bases either. Didn't stop them.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I still think sub-races are the way to go if High Elves were indeed to be added. I would place them with the Night Elves, as lore-wise, playable or not, I would like to see an alliance/reunification between the Highborne and the High Elves.
90 Night Elf Hunter
The high elves seem like total jerks in 5.1 anyways. Jaina orders all blood elves (nearly half the population of dalaran) arrested because they may have done something bad (or may not, they deny it.

High elves take the opportunity to attempt to murder every blood elf in Dalaran. Many of the blood elves in dalaran were neutrals working for the greater good and not horde aligned at all.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]