High elf as a playable race

My main issue with High Elves is that they are so similar enough to Blood Elves that it would essentially make the race neutral. To balance it out, you'd need an Alliance race to go neutral as well, and that could be rather difficult since Alliance races don't have any ready-made Horde-aligned groups like the Blood Elves have with the High Elves.
05/03/2012 06:41 AMPosted by Kynrind
My main issue with High Elves is that they are so similar enough to Blood Elves that it would essentially make the race neutral. To balance it out, you'd need an Alliance race to go neutral as well, and that could be rather difficult since Alliance races don't have any ready-made Horde-aligned groups like the Blood Elves have with the High Elves.

Some people have been saying that the Draenei would go neutral and be more than willing to join up with the Horde, as a part of the 'Army of the Light' thing. Because they want to form that, they would look past the fact that the orcs nearly wiped them out as a race.

While the Draenei might be willing to work with the Orcs when it's mutually beneficial to do so, I find it highly unlikely they'd ever accept Orcish sovereignty on a large scale. The closest we had to it was some Draenei joining the Earthen Ring, but that was specifically to combat the Cataclysm.
90 Night Elf Druid
In all honesty, i know it seems pretty lazy, but i'd be happy if they just gave Blood Elves an eye color option... its not like the High Elves havent helped Blood Elves before (New Zul'Aman Lore)
so its not like its a total impossibility... and with the sunwell back up who is to say they wont wanna use it again.
85 Orc Death Knight
Oh boy. Another thread by a guy/girl who wants a pink Elf on the Alliance as opposed to a purple one. I don't get it. It's like the Lordaeron threads. I don't see why they appear apart from fanboyism and extreme wishful thinking.

Yes, you want to play a High Elf Battlemage. You stated that. But is it worth twisting and bending and hammering at the plot until it's scarcely recognisable just so you can have the one thing you want?
90 Human Warrior
In all honesty, i know it seems pretty lazy, but i'd be happy if they just gave Blood Elves an eye color option... its not like the High Elves havent helped Blood Elves before (New Zul'Aman Lore)
so its not like its a total impossibility... and with the sunwell back up who is to say they wont wanna use it again.

It's very very unlikely. The High elves have -no- power or authority in Quel'thalas. They are able to visit the Sunwell only because the Blood elves let them and even then it is a brief visit.

Hells, aside from the Silver Covenant, there aren't any High elven political groups and even that is a small group. They are scattered all over the world.

They'd also have top give the Horde a new race to make it equal.

They could cure undeath and give the horde Lordaeronians. They'd be under Sylvanas as a high elf for the horde.
90 Human Warrior
05/03/2012 11:29 AMPosted by Kynrind
They could cure undeath and give the horde Lordaeronians. They'd be under Sylvanas as a high elf for the horde.

You cannot cure undeath like that. It means you are, by definition, dead. Your heart has stopped beating, you are starting to rot and decay physically... There's only cure for undeath is true death. I do not think there has been a case in WoW where someone that was undead, has become a living person again. So far, the only 'cure' seems to be killing them permanently.

High elves would rather be truly dead than to ever work for the Horde. They -hate- the Horde.

High Elf race, Sylvanas never used Fel Magic if she was cured she'd have blue eyes.

Undeath has been cured in 2 people, and one was retconned. They were among the living shortly after.
85 Human Paladin
Blizzard said no?

Please show me where they ever did that? Or did it just happen in your imagination?

They haven't said outright no but it's kind of absurd they'd put it in now. They have said the original fourth race was going to be High elf or Gnome and they made the right decision since there was already an elf race. Then adding Blood elves to Horde as a playable race pretty much sealed their fate.

High elves also completely lack what new playable races are meant to give. A new model, we know they look exactly like blood elves but with blue eyes. New architecture to the game (Ex: Goblin = Industrial, Gilnean = Victorian). New racials, they're not too different from blood elves outside of mana tapping. They also provide nothing new to the Alliance it doesn't already have, it already has the elf race/survivor race.
crazier things have happened.

Honestly I doubt high elves would like like belfs if they put it in the game.

If you player wow pre tbc ud notice the high elfs were already in the game. But their models were just recoloered fillers. The models were simply that of a night elf with fair skin glowing blue eyes and blond hair. This was no doubt a filler.

Im not sure when they change it prolly some time between bc and wotlk where the models where now the exact same of the blood elfs. THIS IS ALSO A FILLER! You know how I know
because they just pasted a blue shade on the eyes but the green was still seeping through showing that it was actually a belf with a slapped on blue.

Honestly at this point id rather blizzard just do something with the race maybe as an in game faction you can quest for and help rebuild?
90 Blood Elf Rogue

Undeath has been cured in 2 people, and one was retconned. They were among the living shortly after.

When was that?

Time can fix most anything, we just need patience. Over time, once the blood elves have returned to normal from their fel thing, which will be very soon, I think there's a possibility of high elves and blood elves getting back together.

Oh, and:

Honestly at this point id rather blizzard just do something with the race maybe as an in game faction you can quest for and help rebuild?

Also, if draenei did get friendly with the orcs/Horde and became allies, I would see the need for some lore stuff about them forgiving the orcs for what they did on Draenor, probably because it wasn't their fault or whatever.
05/03/2012 02:16 PMPosted by Rufyn
Time can fix most anything, we just need patience. Over time, once the blood elves have returned to normal from their fel thing, which will be very soon, I think there's a possibility of high elves and blood elves getting back together.

First: Orcs are on their fourth generation with NO signs of reverting from their demonic corruption, and their green skin is just from being in close proximity to fel magic. Blood elves actually SIPHONED Fel Blood right into their systems. Yes, all of them did it. Blood Elves reproduce slower than humans so it's highly unlikely for it to just fade away "soon". Will probably be thousands of years, if that.

Second: Blood Elves and High Elves are different both physically and politically. High Elves are a minority within a minority, there's not even enough of them to form their own council or even neighborhoods. Even if Blood Elves were cured of their Fel there'd be no reason for them to wish to reunite with the High Elves. The only reason for more High Elves to come to Azeroth is for Alleria to lead the Alliance Expedition back to Azeroth with some extra High Elves in tow. And even then the Blood Elves have been with the Horde for almost 4 years now and Alleria HATED the Horde. There's no chance that they would join forces.

I don't think it's been anywhere close to 4 generations since Orcs abandoned widespread use of demonic magic. The end of the Second war was roughly 20 years ago at this point (the exact timeline is rather ambiguous, but I doubt it's more then 30). This means the first children born after the Orcs abandoned fel magic are just barely at child bearing age. The youngest children are just 2 generations removed from the Horde of the Second War, not 4.

Then we have to consider that one of the Horde's largest clans, the Warsong, got an extra dose of fel magic during the 3rd War. It's no wonder the Orcs aren't showing any serious sign of reverting to their Brown-skin roots.

I just don't think we can rule out demonic corruption slowly working it's way out over many generations. It might take hundreds of years, but it could happen.
85 Human Paladin

First: Orcs are on their fourth generation with NO signs of reverting from their demonic corruption, and their green skin is just from being in close proximity to fel magic. Blood elves actually SIPHONED Fel Blood right into their systems. Yes, all of them did it. Blood Elves reproduce slower than humans so it's highly unlikely for it to just fade away "soon". Will probably be thousands of years, if that.

Second: Blood Elves and High Elves are different both physically and politically. High Elves are a minority within a minority, there's not even enough of them to form their own council or even neighborhoods. Even if Blood Elves were cured of their Fel there'd be no reason for them to wish to reunite with the High Elves. The only reason for more High Elves to come to Azeroth is for Alleria to lead the Alliance Expedition back to Azeroth with some extra High Elves in tow. And even then the Blood Elves have been with the Horde for almost 4 years now and Alleria HATED the Horde. There's no chance that they would join forces.

Reading your post made me want high elves more. How cool would it be too see the high elves essemble as the underdogs and slowly rise up through expansions. Would be such a cool story to follow.

I get it their arnt many high elfs. But their are high elfs. Their is the silver covenant which is entirely run by high elves. Thats a faction with the backing of the kirin tor which is a very powerfully faction and on top of that their is the support of the entire alliance.

High elves have already begun to secure their future as a rising super power. Considering their numbers they have done a lot. All blizz needs to do is give em a lil push.

High elves need an ethnic preservation movement in mop at least forget the playable race for now just give them some time in the spotlight. High elves has so much potential.
Edited by Mihkail on 5/3/2012 4:02 PM PDT
85 Human Paladin
I get it their arnt many high elfs. But their are high elfs. Their is the silver covenant which is entirely run by high elves. Thats a faction with the backing of the kirin tor which is a very powerfully faction and on top of that their is the support of the entire alliance.

High elves have already begun to secure their future as a rising super power. Considering their numbers they have done a lot. All blizz needs to do is give em a lil push.

It's no where near enough to make them a super power. Hell, they're barely even a minor power.. Unless they receive the full backing of the Alliance and the Kirin Tor, there's no way the High elves could do anything. They're still too scattered to be a political force of any power. Unless the Alliance is willing to do most of the dying for them, it's a lost cause. The High elves would be better served to either swallow their pride and let the Blood elves join them, suck it up and merge fully with Dalaran/Kirin Tor/the Alliance, or form their own small kingdom somewhere else away from Quel'thalas.
the high elves already have their private sector in dalaran where its safe and where they can study magic. They also have the backing of the alliance. Lvling through northrend i remember the high elves giving me a lot of alliance quests to kill the blood elves. So they are a part of the alliance already.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
um, I'm sorry but when did you ever have quests to kill blood elves?

The only quests even remotly like that from what I remember was the Quel'dalar chain.
90 Human Priest
05/03/2012 04:28 PMPosted by Mihkail
the high elves already have their private sector in dalaran where its safe and where they can study magic. They also have the backing of the alliance. Lvling through northrend i remember the high elves giving me a lot of alliance quests to kill the blood elves. So they are a part of the alliance already.

You remembering parts incorrectly. High elves didn't even give that many quests during the leveling process. Outside of the one High elf in Wintergarde directing you to Star's rest and a couple of High elf mages who port you to Dalaran, there were none until patch 3.2 for dailies. You also only ever kill one blood elf for the Quel'delar quest chain.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]