High elf as a playable race

If they do release it. It will have an updated and unique model. Perhaps with more customization. Its an ageing population so we could have old gandalf looking elfs. As well as some new young ones.

not a reskin. Instead blizzard releases a new model entirely the bc one is 5 years old. Then it will be at the same rank as panderen because it will be a entirely new model.

No matter what though, a High elf is a Blood elf with blue eyes. Even if they get updated models they'd still share it since they're physically the same race.

05/03/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Mihkail
they could always release battlemage with high elves on top of the new model

You're also going about this completely with High elves in mind. Think about players who've never played Warcraft 2 and start playing this game, their perspective. You've also haven't cared for what the Horde opposite would be.
85 Human Paladin
05/03/2012 07:17 PMPosted by Vicara
No matter what though, a High elf is a Blood elf with blue eyes. Even if they get updated models they'd still share it since they're physically the same race.
Alliance panderen are the same as horde panderen with nothing different.

If this high elf thing were to go through we would have a new model,new lore ,new classes, new faction, new zone, so it will technically be re-invented.

It would be just like the panderen. Except their is a greater difference.
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Again though if they update the Helf model they will undoubtedly update the Belf model so again we are at the point of, it is a reskin for a new PLAYABLE race.
Alliance panderen are the same as horde panderen with nothing different.

If this high elf thing were to go through we would have a new model,new lore ,new classes, new faction, new zone, so it will technically be re-invented.

It would be just like the panderen. Except their is a greater difference.

Again, Pandaren were introduced as a neutral race from the start.

High elves also have no reason to look at all different from a Blood elf. There are also many other possible playable races that people would rather have over High elves.
85 Human Paladin
05/03/2012 07:28 PMPosted by Shaithiss
Again though if they update the Helf model they will undoubtedly update the Belf model so again we are at the point of, it is a reskin for a new PLAYABLE race.

Omg. K ill say this again.

Normally in an xpac their are 2 races released.
In mop their was only the one but it was ok because it is a new model and their playable by both sides.

Now in ___ xpac their will also only be one. It will have a new model just like panderen
and will be playable by both sides just like panderen.

How is this different?

If you still think its the same lemmi go deeper. Its an entierly new model never before seen. with new graphics. New re-done zones and the story has progressed just like the story of the panderen has progressed since the warcraft days.
All races are getting new models eventually, it's been announced already. Also again, you're just thinking of High elves on this, what would the Horde counterpart be?
85 Worgen Rogue
05/03/2012 06:41 PMPosted by Vicara
I'd disagree, we have still yet to see Draenei mages in action either which is another problem. There should be focus on the playable races we have rather than keep making new playable races and having many unhappy races who don't show up in lore a lot.

It's likely that we never will see Draenei Mages in much action because Draenei just aren't as well known for their magical prowess as they are for their use as Light wielders. They don't even have an organization dedicated to the mastery of the Arcane like races such as Humans, Night Elves, and High Elves do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't even see Draenei in Dalaran because they have no interest in the Arcane at all like they do with the Holy Light.

05/03/2012 06:41 PMPosted by Vicara
High elves don't have exclusive knowledge either, it's been a couple thousand years since they taught what they know to Humans and made Dalaran.

Exactly, Dalaran likely would have never existed had it not been for the High Elves and their vast knowledge of Arcane magic. Also consider that in places like Azshara, it shows just how primitive the Highborne still are at understanding the magic because they spent thousands of years holed up in one area. (A blood elf notes this very same thing.)

The only race we have left are the Gnomes, who are really hard to take seriously because they're, well, Gnomes.
Edited by Donahue on 5/3/2012 7:43 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
05/03/2012 07:37 PMPosted by Mihkail

Omg. K ill say this again.

In mop their was only the one but it was ok because it is a new model and their playable by both sides.

Now in ___ xpac their will also only be one. It will have a new model just like panderen
and will be playable by both sides just like panderen.

How is this different?

If you still think its the same lemmi go deeper. Its an entierly new model never before seen. with new graphics. New re-done zones and the story has progressed just like the story of the panderen has progressed since the warcraft days.

It is different because you are adding a race to the alliance without adding one to the horde and what you are adding to the alliance is a carbon copy of a race the horde already has but with different eyes. If you think that they would update the Helf model without updating the Belf model then you are working under a delusion.
05/03/2012 07:42 PMPosted by Donahue
It's likely that we never will see Draenei Mages in much action because Draenei just aren't as well known for their magical prowess as they are for their use as Light wielders. They don't even have an organization dedicated to the mastery of the Arcane like races such as Humans, Night Elves, and High Elves do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't even see Draenei in Dalaran because they have no interest in the Arcane at all like they do with the Holy Light.

True that the like the Holy Light more, but Draenei have still come from Argus thousands of years ago and they still have mages.

Exactly, Dalaran likely would have never existed had it not been for the High Elves and their vast knowledge of Arcane magic. Also consider that in places like Azshara, it shows just how primitive the Highborne still are at understanding the magic because they spent thousands of years holed up in one area. (A blood elf notes this very same thing.)

The only race we have left are the Gnomes, who are really hard to take seriously because they're, well, Gnomes.

They've shared their knowledge, the other races can do just fine. Most of the powerful mortal mages are Human. Gnomes can be taken as seriously as they depict them and the short story Cut Short can show they can be a serious race.
85 Orc Death Knight
05/03/2012 09:11 PMPosted by Vicara

True that the like the Holy Light more, but Draenei have still come from Argus thousands of years ago and they still have mages.

They've shared their knowledge, the other races can do just fine. Most of the powerful mortal mages are Human. Gnomes can be taken as seriously as they depict them and the short story Cut Short can show they can be a serious race.

That's something I'm curious about. Where does it say Humans are the most powerful mortal magi? I've heard it a fair bit but I've never read it anywhere. Any chance I can get a source so I can read about this?
90 Human Warrior
05/03/2012 09:25 PMPosted by Kroxxigar

That's something I'm curious about. Where does it say Humans are the most powerful mortal magi? I've heard it a fair bit but I've never read it anywhere. Any chance I can get a source so I can read about this?

There isn't one and they aren't. Blood Elves could eat half the Kirin Tor before they could lift a finger. There's a reason they came running to Quel'thalas for aid during the Nexus war with Malygos.
05/03/2012 09:25 PMPosted by Kroxxigar

I didn't say they were the most powerful magi, I said the there are a lot of powerful magi that are humans. Like Antonidas and Rhonin who were/are leaders of the Kirin Tor. There's also Jaina whose been called the most talented sorceress in Dalaran and Aegwynn who earned her way to becoming Guardian. Humans as a whole may not be magical but the mages among them can be powerful.

Not trying to say whose the naturally best race at arcane or whose society is based on magic. Just that there are races among the Alliance who can use Arcane well. It's also one of the themes of the Alliance as noted in the Pandaren intro with technical and spiritual wisdom.
100 Blood Elf Warlock
05/03/2012 07:37 PMPosted by Mihkail

flat out lie. in BC two races were released, in wrath a new class that was faction race bound was released, in cata, two races were released, in mist a faction neutral class and a faction neutral race will be released.

so we have 2 cases of new races for both factions, two cases of new classes ffor both factions, and one case of a new race for both factions.... how does that add up to "normaly in an xpac there are two races released"? at best half the time that is the case.
85 Worgen Rogue

And where are all of them, besides the Mage trainers? We've never really heard of any powerful Draenei magi character that actually has anything interesting to share about the Arcane arts that could actually help the Alliance.

Even Draenei factions don't much have anything to do with being a Mage, such as the Aldor. Then you have Med'an, whose Arcane prowess isn't even attributed to a Draenei but more to coming from Medivh.

I could hazard a guess that maybe they all got wiped out back on Draenor, but that's more or less just speculation on my part.

I'm not just talking about how Gnomes are used but how they look in general. They're ridiculous, and look more like walking babies than anything actually adult. Cut Short just made it easier to do that because you don't see them and instead read about them in the story.

05/03/2012 10:24 PMPosted by Vicara
Not trying to say whose the naturally best race at arcane or whose society is based on magic. Just that there are races among the Alliance who can use Arcane well. It's also one of the themes of the Alliance as noted in the Pandaren intro with technical and spiritual wisdom.

But there's been yet to really showcase these races as just as adept at the Arcane arts as the Blood Elves. I know the MoP descriptions of the factions have validity to them, but there's a severe disconnect from what it says and what's being portrayed in questing as of right right now. As far as it goes, Blood Elves are still the most adept race at magic and they are a Horde race.

I'm not advocating High Elves to be Alliance or anything per se, but what I am arguing is whether they wouldn't have a niche if they were part of the faction. As far as things are shown right now, they would have a niche and that's as a very powerful Arcane wielding race to rival the Blood Elves. They could do something to make Highborne or Draenei just as good, but they haven't and at worse have shown moments where they can't match up to Blood Elves because the race has practiced it for the longest time.

They could do something with Jaina, sure, but at this point I'm very worried that they're turning Jaina into a very unstable person. Never mind how inconsistent it is that she's going this way when she's suffered much more traumatic experiences than this.
Edited by Donahue on 5/4/2012 12:07 AM PDT
85 Orc Death Knight
05/03/2012 10:24 PMPosted by Vicara

I didn't say they were the most powerful magi, I said the there are a lot of powerful magi that are humans. Like Antonidas and Rhonin who were/are leaders of the Kirin Tor. There's also Jaina whose been called the most talented sorceress in Dalaran and Aegwynn who earned her way to becoming Guardian. Humans as a whole may not be magical but the mages among them can be powerful.

Ahhh, I see what you mean. I wasn't calling you out on it, I was just curious as to the common belief I've seen on the forums relating to it. =)
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Vol'jin doesn't have any reason to dislike Blood elves. He's a jungle troll from the southern end of the Eastern Kingdoms. I think he probably gets along with them fairly well. The Blood elves still have a place in the Horde and they -do- get much needed materials and support. As well as the backing of the Horde when trouble comes calling.

Also, the Blood elves would face a huge amount of anger if they left the Horde. They would need a LOT of protection instantly from retaliation assaults of the Forsaken and the other races of the Horde. Lor'themar swore and oath to serve the Horde and leaders do -not- get the luxury of turning their backs on that.

The way you had it written out, the High elves seemed to have a lot more power and influence than they should. Also, do you seriously think the Blood elves would leave the Horde, their steadfast allies for the last 5-10 years, that easily? You make them seem very wishy washy.

The war started in Cata, before Cata in fact. In the intern time between Wrath and Cata, it broke out into open warfare. Blizzard has also stated that at the end of MoP, the war will end. The Raid on Org is supposed to be the end of it (and an Alliance fist pumping moment. I'll believe that when I see it. >:( )

Trolls hate elves, and although Vol'jin is smart he is still a troll. Troill wars, long grudges about dark trolls turning into night elves, being the reason the troll empire collapsed (yes those were night elves but they would just group elves together as blood elves came from night elves), their cities and lands damaged from the Well of Eternity's implosion, death of Zul'jin, and etc. All from WoWpedia. http://www.wowpedia.org/Troll

There also hasn't been much reason for Horde to help the blood elves as there isn't much trouble there. And even with help with taking back there lands, only the undead offered, and the blood elves were suspicious at first even though Sylvanas is there leader. The horde haven't much, if not at all, helped the blood elves.

Materials don't really come from the eastern kingdoms to the horde on kalimdor, and the races on the eastern kingdom don't really need, use, or get materials from the horde and kalimdor as one, the blood elves are living in a forest, and have been for 10,000 years and have done fine, so they don't need any resources over there, especially because there isn't any really battling over there. And the undead, they're focused on the plague, and that they do all themselves and have no backing from the horde with it, and they are undead, so they don't really need many materials and they can get what they need from the lands they are in and conquer, and can just resurrect undead and make constructs to bolster forces. There also isn't much fighting with them after they take some land.

Would there be anger that the blood elves left the Horde and betrayed them? Yes. But they would also not care so much as they didn't care about them from the beginning, they would actually be glad. And the blood elves would have time, as one, they are on a totally different continent quite a ways from Orgrimmar/Durotar. They would also be focused on getting resources from Pandaria and settling/getting used to their own issue with who leads the Horde. If the blood elves planned it out beforehand, they would take the opportunity to leave as Garrosh is dethroned so as to have more time and preparing, and I also said much of this would happen secretly. Talking with high elves amongst themselves, secretly sending a scout to an Alliance and that person to Varian. Then Varian would give his answer back the same way, secretly with a scout. So it wouldn't be common knowledge in the first place, blood elves aren't stupid. And if their lands are restored, they can set up the runestone protection if necessary.

Forsaken, I think Sylvanas would be a threat as is to both Horde and Alliance, and everyone else, as I explained I see her going crazy after Garrosh. So the Horde would also have to consider whether it would be worth it or not to put their people in harms way as well to Sylvanas and her plague.

Vol'jin himself was thinking of leaving, and only his promise to Thrall and his father kept him for as long as his did, if this continued, I would see Vol'jin leaving, especially with the way Garrosh and the orcs treat the trolls. Also, if a new blood elf took charge, I would see them just not caring, thinking they would not be bound by an oath anyway as they themself didn't make one, and would just be considering all the options.

Lor'themar has shown that he does not want the official title of a leader, he also isn't a very good one with succumbing in Sylvanas and other people, like Rommath and Halduron, when it should be him make all the decisions totally as a true leader. Advice is ok, beyond that to what should be a king is not. It's like he's merely a puppet to be swayed by others.

What counts as a lot in how much I mention the High elves and being stronger? If you mean that one mention of a high elf suggesting joining the alliance, one, it would be just a suggestion, not an order. Two, I could just not mention a high elf at all, the blood elves are smart enough to consider rejoining the alliance. Site each instance I mention high elves being the higher power (not including what I mention here) if I'm wrong.

And again, with how long they've been with the Horde, I've already talked about that. Again, not an issue.

Can you site a reference where it says MoP was the beginning and the siege of orgrimmar was the end? From all that I've read, I didn't get that message.
WotLK was about fighting the Lich King. Cata was about fighting Deathwing, dealing with the breaking of the world, Chogall and the Twilight's Hammer, and etc. MoP is about war, it's the start of a focused war between horde and alliance that hasn't really been in any previous expansion.

Siege of Orgrimmar an Alliance fist pumping moment? ... I can see how someone would see it that way, someone could also just view it as two sides teaming up to take down someone as a necessity. But the Horde will have their warchief being throne off, so it is a benefit to the Alliance, Varian just won't be taking the change to kill people in Orgrimmar or attack it while he's there.

Also, I really do like you bringing up issues from your PoV, debating is fun.
Edited by Knalivas on 5/4/2012 1:53 AM PDT
100 Blood Elf Priest
Velen's vision and Lor'themar being stuck in between BC and Wrath makes the idea that Blood Elves and Draenai will be playable by Horde and Alliance plausible. With Lor'themar, all they have to do when MoP is done is fill in the gaps. I think they would post an updated story about Lor'themar if they weren't thinking about it themselves. Velen has the Army of Light and a Vision where all factions come together to face a common foe. Blood Elves and Draenai may be the first ones to break away.
100 Night Elf Hunter
Game has two playable elf races already.

And besides like you said. Blood Elves ARE High Elves, so the playable "High Elves" are already in game.

And while there are High Elves in Stormwind and a few other places, the Non-Sindorei are simply so few in numbers that they're not talked about as a faction any more, just scattered individuals.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]