Noob Protection Paladin: Questions on Gear.

56 Draenei Paladin
Hello there. I started this paladin a few weeks ago. I have about 3 and 1/2 days of time played.

I have mainly stuck to dungeons. I have run about 70 or so. So, all of the gear I have pretty much comes from dungeons.

I have been doing some research on tanking gear (main source has been maintankadin). I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

1. I have been favouring Stamina over Strength. My research confirms that this is the way to go. Every guide seems to point tanks in this direction. Am I OK with this?

2. For secondary stats, my understanding is that I should favour Mastery, Dodge and Parry.

Right now I try to favour dodge over hit or crit. However, sometimes I will pick up an item with a bonus to hit or crit just because the item has a decent boost to stamina. I am assuming that is not a problem right now.

When should I start to make a big effort to improve my secondary stats? Should I just wait until lvl 85? Until then I am pretty much playing it by ear. I favour stamina, and if it is close dodge or parry becomes the tie-breaker.

3. Raid Sets. The first two tiers for paladins favour Stamina and Intellect. Should I bother with these or should I continue to favour Stamina and Strength?

4. (ack, edit). Glyphs. Should I bother with these now? Or wait until level 85?

Any advice/answers you guys have are welcome. Thanks.
Edited by Korm on 5/2/2012 5:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
1. Stamina and strength come with your gear. At your level, it doesn't really matter; get what you can get. At higher levels it'll really only matter when it comes to gems, enchants, and trinkets, because you won't have a choice between stamina and strength on armor or weapons (you always get both). But the basic idea is yes, stamina is more important than strength.

2. Again, at your level it doesn't matter. Leveling dungeons are tuned under the assumption that the tank is wearing mostly DPS gear. If you get something with dodge or parry, great! But if you get an item with crit that has more strength and stamina, it's fine to use that item instead.

The point where you want to really start focusing on secondary stats is around 80, although at 70 you start getting access to lots more tank-oriented gear so you can start then too.

3. Not sure which tier sets you're talking about, but there are three versions of each tier set starting at 70: tank, DPS, healer. You want the tanking set, of course.

4. Whenever you can afford them.
Edited by Keten on 5/2/2012 5:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
To be honest you don't have to worry about anything other then if it's Stam/strength plate (vs. intel) until you hit around 80+, as long as it's plate, tanking or dps is fine, avoidance will come with gear and it really really only comes into play at 85 i would not worry about it to much.

Also you do not even get mastery until 80 so don't worry to much.
Reply Quote
56 Draenei Paladin
...Also you do not even get mastery until 80 so don't worry to much.

Ah! Thanks for this. All this info about Mastery had me wondering why I never found any items with Mastery on it. Thanks.

Keten, thanks for the info. Very helpful.

edit: Oh, and if you are curious, here is a link to the Raid sets I was referring to:

Raid Set 1: http://www.wowhead.com/itemset=208

Raid Set 2: http://www.wowhead.com/itemset=217

Raid Set 3 does not seem to exist anymore. After that, the paladin raid sets branch off, just like you said, into different specs. Thanks.
Edited by Korm on 5/2/2012 6:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Oh, yeah, those. There's really no need to worry about any raid sets prior to 85, unless you stop at 60/70/80 to raid.

Prior to BC it was pretty much assumed that all paladins were healers and raid gear was designed with that in mind. But...prior to BC itemization sucked for everyone. If you see weird stuff like that on pre-BC gear, don't worry about it. ;)
Reply Quote
56 Draenei Paladin
Oh, yeah, those. There's really no need to worry about any raid sets prior to 85, unless you stop at 60/70/80 to raid.

Prior to BC it was pretty much assumed that all paladins were healers and raid gear was designed with that in mind. But...prior to BC itemization sucked for everyone. If you see weird stuff like that on pre-BC gear, don't worry about it. ;)

Thanks. Those sets confused the heck out of me, so it is good to hear the background to those.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]