Skinning XP

9 Tauren Druid
Why does a player get experience from collecting herbs and ores, but not skins? Isn't that just favoring two gathering professions over the third? As to the argument that you already get xp from killing the mob that will be skinned, that doesn't matter. You should still get additional xp when you skin the mob. You don't have to kill mobs to collect herbs or ores (in principle).
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
05/02/2012 08:15 PMPosted by Jirëh
As to the argument that you already get xp from killing the mob that will be skinned, that doesn't matter.

why doesnt it matter?
Reply Quote
05/02/2012 08:15 PMPosted by Jirëh
As to the argument that you already get xp from killing the mob that will be skinned, that doesn't matter. You should still get additional xp when you skin the mob. You don't have to kill mobs to collect herbs or ores (in principle).

It's almost like you just defeated your own argument
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
thats what i was thinking.

you kill a mob you get 10xp then skin it. 10 total xp gained.

you mine or herb a node you get 10x. 10 total xp gained.

the real imbalance is that its much more efficient to farm herbs/ore than it is to skin but tbh when you are doing any real amounts of farming you are probably going to be 85 already.
Reply Quote
9 Tauren Druid
05/02/2012 09:07 PMPosted by Trixxis
As to the argument that you already get xp from killing the mob that will be skinned, that doesn't matter. You should still get additional xp when you skin the mob. You don't have to kill mobs to collect herbs or ores (in principle).

It's almost like you just defeated your own argument

I'm saying that it's unfair to get the same amount of xp from all 3 things, when you have to do more work for skinning. The action of skinning a mob should grant xp in and of itself, to compensate for killing the mob. Again, you don't have to kill mobs to collect herbs or ores. You do have to kill mobs to skin things.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
You answered your own question, you don't have to kill mobs to herb/mine. Normally you have to kill to skin so you are really getting the same amount of XP (or should be).
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
You get XP for using gathering professions that do not require you to kill mobs.

Mining, herbalism, and archaeology give XP because you don't have to kill anything.

Skinning requires dead mobs.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
"The game is too easy, but not easy enough for me to not find something to complain about."
Reply Quote
Here's a legitimate question, why do I gain xp from grey herbs (no hope of increasing my skill) but I don't get xp from killing grey beasts? Why do yellow level herbs/mineral nodes give 10 times as much xp as on-level beasts?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The main problem seems to be that people who play together and one does not have a gathering profession that person gets outleveled. If you have a quest that requires you to kill certain mobs that share the experience and the kill between the two but the one with the gathering profession finds 3 herbs/veins than they get more experience. I have gone through it first hand. Within one levels worth of questing the difference is around 6 bars give or take depending on the number of herbs/veins. If around 1/8 the experience was given for skinning than gathering it would make up for this. Some say to go do things without your partner but there just is no time for allot of people to do that.
Reply Quote
Just my observation on this issue. I was a skinner/leatherworker and my wife is a inscriber\herbalist. I noticed a few issues that make the argument of " xp gained from the kill is fair and balanced" a joke. One- my wife while doing the same quests was leveling much faster then me. Two- when i kill a mob and get 200 to 400 xp and she turns around and picks a herb for 1250 xp i fail to see the fairness in that seeing she also shared xp from the kill. Three - ore and herbs are much more plentiful then before ... she had pick 7 herbs ,1000+ xp each., before we encountered a skinable mob. It is now my practice to make most my alts miner/herbalist so the get a leveling boost and decide later if I even want a manufactuiring profession. If this has not been addressed yet I hope wow considers this because while I like the leatherworking professsion I just fall to far behind the peeps I play with, who are all herbalist ..:)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
05/05/2012 11:21 PMPosted by Hrenam
The main problem seems to be that people who play together and one does not have a gathering profession that person gets outleveled. If you have a quest that requires you to kill certain mobs that share the experience and the kill between the two but the one with the gathering profession finds 3 herbs/veins than they get more experience. I have gone through it first hand. Within one levels worth of questing the difference is around 6 bars give or take depending on the number of herbs/veins. If around 1/8 the experience was given for skinning than gathering it would make up for this. Some say to go do things without your partner but there just is no time for allot of people to do that.

I question your numbers. Level 1-60 mining and herbing are normalized to about 100-150 picks per level, assuming zero bonus experience from guild perks, heirlooms, rested, etc. BC, Wrath, and Cata are considerably worse than that. IIRC it takes something like 2000 picks of the highest possible herbs/ore to get from 84 to 85. If you are out questing and pick 30+ nodes of ore/herbs before you finish a level from questing, the problem lies with you rather than the way the game is set up.

I have worked deeper into the mechanics of experience from gathering than nearly anyone else here, I know of whence I speak: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Peacecorwin/simple

That character was leveled from 1-85 with all original gear, only one quest autocompleted (after 85, no less), only one mob killed, and no guild or heirloom bonuses. On her stats page she has 8 total damage done, all from accidentally punching (sheeped) mobs while gathering.

Edit: Huh. I posted this with a different character, and then posted below with this character and now both posts show this character. Is that to prevent people from doing an "agree with themselves" muppet dance on the forums?
Edited by Peacecorwin on 8/19/2012 11:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
08/19/2012 08:55 AMPosted by Ktreva
Just my observation on this issue. I was a skinner/leatherworker and my wife is a inscriber\herbalist. I noticed a few issues that make the argument of " xp gained from the kill is fair and balanced" a joke. One- my wife while doing the same quests was leveling much faster then me. Two- when i kill a mob and get 200 to 400 xp and she turns around and picks a herb for 1250 xp i fail to see the fairness in that seeing she also shared xp from the kill. Three - ore and herbs are much more plentiful then before ... she had pick 7 herbs ,1000+ xp each., before we encountered a skinable mob. It is now my practice to make most my alts miner/herbalist so the get a leveling boost and decide later if I even want a manufactuiring profession. If this has not been addressed yet I hope wow considers this because while I like the leatherworking professsion I just fall to far behind the peeps I play with, who are all herbalist ..:)

One: you're sharing exp from the kill, but not from the mining. If you were soloing the balance would be much better.

Two: how much would adding skinning exp help? Even giving you the same exp per gather would leave you 6 herbs behind. You've only fixed 14% of the problem.

Three: in that sort of situation, wouldn't a better solution be to split the mining exp the way the mob exp is split?

Four: I want exp from skinning solely to do an insane level to 85 by only scavenging other people's mobs. But then I'm certifiably insane, so take that as you will.
Reply Quote
1) Sharing the xp from the gathering when grouped would help my situation, but may still be unfair to others.

2) The balance of skins vs herbs ratio will eventually turn in my favor , it all depends on the zone. As long as I can gain some ground back with skinning xp then no harm done.

3) As for skinning other peeps kills , if possisble, earn skinning xp for your groups kills only.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
OK, so the entire thread was tl;dr but I got the basic gist of it. Forgive me if I say somehting someone else said already. By this argument, you should be getting XP for levelling professions regardless of which profession it is. Gathering XP is a nifty bonus, but when you kill a mob to get the skin, you get your XP, not only that, but if you're savvy and pay attention, you can follow a non-skinner across a quest chain and skin after he/she kills the mobs for you.
You're already getting something from your profession skill (be it gathering or crafting) XP is just a bonus, and if all were truly fair, there would be no XP for any gathering.
You can actually sell and make money on everything you gather, but such is not so for other professions. I'm levelling my engineering and it kind of sucks.. nobody (including me) wants any of the crap I'm making to level the profession, with some very few exceptions, but everyone needs the mats from gathering, so the $$ is there to be made with those profs at all levels of the profession(s). Well, there's my rant, take it or leave it.

For tl;dr - In the spirit of fairness I vote no XP for any profession, or XP for every profession, or no change and who freaking cares.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
08/19/2012 08:55 AMPosted by Ktreva

I'm with you on this one. I've been leveling up an alt. At level 50-54 I was in Ungaro Crater. I was getting 200XP for killing a mob and 750XP for picking a plant. It did mean I would go out of my way if I saw something I could pick simply because the XP was so much better. Now I'm in the outlands and the last plant I picked I think I got about 1200XP for where the first mob gave me about 400XP. It simply does not scale.

Its also interesting to note that while playing in an appropriate leveled zone, about four out of five times when I picked something, I also agroed something so there would be an indirect kill in there, so I don't buy the arguement of skinning gives XP in the form of killing something. Yes, you need to kill something to skin it, but in the majority of collecting herbs I found myself having to kill something anyway.

The other arguement of "Oh, you can skin corpses that others have killed" I don't buy either. a) we can only skin them after they've been looted - Ever run through TB lately and seen all the unlooted spiders that can't be skinned? and b)What is wrong with skinning something that someone else has killed anyway? I don't see that any different from a miner finding a mining node and mining it or a herbalist coming across a plant and picking it.

Miners and herbalists can, after all, mine or pick elementals. They don't get XP for that I believe, but it is free loot. Skinners simply do not have any alternatives. Unfortunately there are no nodes out there in the world that we can access. Maybe that's the solution, throw in random skinning nodes such as dead animals and give them the same XP bonus as what miners and herbalists get.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
08/25/2012 11:20 PMPosted by Athioc
Miners and herbalists can, after all, mine or pick elementals. They don't get XP for that I believe, but it is free loot. Skinners simply do not have any alternatives. Unfortunately there are no nodes out there in the world that we can access. Maybe that's the solution, throw in random skinning nodes such as dead animals and give them the same XP bonus as what miners and herbalists get.

You are correct; gathering from a dead elemental (or mechanical for engineers) gives no experience - but it generally doesn't give usable loot, either. Perhaps one in five give something other than vendor trash. The dead animal "nodes" might be workable, if the frequency was kept low enough to give a bit of experience while not flooding the leather market.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]