PC Crash Radeon 7970

90 Dwarf Shaman
I had it happen a lot in the past, but since switching to DX9, it hasn't happened in months. I have a Radeon HD7950 and it only happened after a certain driver update (wish I could pinpoint which one). Tried a lot of different things to fix it, including removing catalyst and running the 32-bit client but nothing fixed it, until I switched to DX9.

It was clear for a long time and only happened when I used a different wow shortcut on my desktop that had -DirectX11 at the end of the shortcut address, so it was opening with the wrong DX that time.

I'm also having the issue with Black Ops 2 which uses DX11 and not DX9 like past COD games. MW3 never froze like that for me and BO2 freezes the same way that WoW does.

Conclusion: Radeon cards don't play well with DX11 and desperately needs a fix. AMD?? Please :-(
Edited by Drthunder on 11/29/2012 8:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
Just upgraded from Sapphire 5770 to Gigabyte 7870 and I'm now having these exact lockups. Only has happened to me in LFR or 10man. 3 of these lockups were on Feng in MV while I was tanking. My info:

PCIe 2.0
7870 BIOS version 015.021.000.000
Catalyst 12.10 drivers (same as I was using on 5770)
DirectX 11
Ultra settings (was roughly High settings on 5770)

Going to try the recommendations here. Really wish I would have checked this before buying this card -- this blows.

Updates:
1) Upgrading from 12.10 to 12.11Beta8 drivers didn't fix the problem. This time I had a hang while AFK sitting in the Golden Pagoda.
2) While using 12.11Beta8, disabled the AMD High Definition Audio Device and hung on first boss in MV LFR.
3) While using 12.11Beta8, re-enabled the AMD High Definition Audio Device, and switched from DX11 to DX9. No hangs so far and was able to run MV 1-3 which always hung me somewhere ever since I got the 7870. I do, however, now see missing textures at specific camera angles in certain places. If this is what I have to do to use this card, it's getting returned.

-Foamy
Edited by Foamulon on 12/2/2012 12:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
So, since I installed 12.3 three days ago, I haven't had a single lockup.

Now, I haven't been on WoW, but D3 locked it up pretty quick before the change, so I've been thinking that I was good, lockup free, ... until tonight.

Netflix (which uses Microsoft Silverlight, if that matters) locked it up. This came in the middle of a movie, which came after watching many episodes of something else.

I am disheartened. /sigh ;- (
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
yeah i'm still on 12.3 also. just an fyi
Reply Quote
1 Human Hunter
Neither 12.3 drivers nor dx9 are in any way acceptable longterm solutions.

Using 12.3 gives up way too may performance gains/bug fixes for other games, and dx9 performs worse out in the world on my 7970 than dx11 does on a 5870.

This needs fixed and it needs fixed yesterday. It's truly ridiculous that a flagship card series, and one of the 'flagship' games of all PC gaming, can have a consistent, easily reproducible bug (discounting the few people that post incorrectly about unrelated non full system hang on 7xxx cards that are perfectly stable ad infinitum on more graphically demanding applications) for this long.
Edited by Merdra on 12/3/2012 7:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Well this seems more or less the legit thread to post this stuff in. Same problem here, thus far it only locks up in LFR but I'm getting pretty paranoid as my guild starts raiding this week.

Intel Core i7 920
ASUS P6T SE motherboard
1000W power supply
XFX DD Radeon HD 7850

Everything stays very cool, all drivers up to date, using the latest beta AMD drivers, no problems in dxdiag.

The card is only a little less than a month old :( I don't care if WoW or AMD is at fault here, I just want my beast of a card to work in this game. They have a thread there in their gaming forums about this issue that I've posted in as well.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
AMD has released Catalyst 12.11 Beta11, which contains a fairly promising release note!

Resolves a sporadic system hang encountered with a single AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPU seen on X58 and X79 chipsets.

This may be the magic bullet fix that we have been awaiting, and even if it is not, this incremental driver update still includes numerous other stability improvements and fixes. This driver is available here:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1211betadriver.aspx
Edited by Kodiack on 12/4/2012 5:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
AMD has released Catalyst 12.11 Beta11, which contains a fairly promising release note!

Resolves a sporadic system hang encountered with a single AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPU seen on X58 and X79 chipsets.

This may be the magic bullet fix that we have been awaiting, and even if it is not, this incremental driver update still includes numerous other stability improvements and fixes. This driver is available here:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but even with the Beta Drivers, this issue is still happening.

For me, this has happened a total of six times, four of which were all in the same area under the same circumstances. They are, as follows:

- Sra'vess Dailies, while partnered with Tenwu of the Red Smoke. Whenever he throws down the Red Smoke, there's a chance for the system to completely and totally lock up and force a hard reset. I am not sure if it caused by the Red Smoke itself or by the buff one gets while IN the Red Smoke. If it IS the Red Smoke, then I am worried that the Red Smoke the Trolls in MV drop may cause this to occur again.

- LFR, Sha of Fear. Happened when I was on one of the pagodas fighting a protector. Not sure what exactly was the trigger with this one. Perhaps one of the Sha Sphers, maybe? Further testing is needed to replicate this particular freeze.

- Darkmoon Island. Happened while bandaging carnies for Chronos and I stepped too close to the fire there. Soon as I took a tick of fire damage, the machine locked up. Unsure if it is exclusive to that particular fire or if it is all over, so take heed if you have this issue with ALL open fires that are known to damage you.

It should also be of note that prior to the patch going live, I had none of these issues whatsoever. Regardless, since this seems to be a widespread problem, Blizzard really needs to look into getting this fixed. I would rather not like to spend every moment in game wondering if the next little thing will cause my rig to seize up AND I don't want to have to go and buy a new Graphics Card either.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
12/04/2012 08:30 AMPosted by Yinian
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but even with the Beta Drivers, this issue is still happening.

There are numerous revisions of these beta drivers. This particular revision was just released yesterday. Any drivers installed before then do not contain the latest improvements.
Reply Quote
1 Human Hunter
I wont risk trying the new beta build on the real raid tonight, but I'll give it a thorough test this weekend. If nobody else can confirm/deny by then, I'll run the first 3 msv bosses on lfr like 10 times back to back. If it can get through 10 runs of that, it's certainly fixed.

If there are people who can report they are having the precise 7xxx issue of this thread, on a non x58 or x79 chipset though, odds go way down of this being corrected by that listed patch note.
Edited by Merdra on 12/4/2012 10:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
12/04/2012 09:36 AMPosted by Kodiack

There are numerous revisions of these beta drivers. This particular revision was just released yesterday. Any drivers installed before then do not contain the latest improvements.

Oh! My bad, dude! I did not know.

Well, I downloaded the updated Drivers and will post if anything unfortunate happens. Certainly hope that's not the case!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I use a 7950 and crash ALOT, friend recommended turning down the water graphics as that was his problem with crashing alot. So i'm trying it out and hopefully it works so far 1 hour no crash. before it was every 5-20minutes and a wow lockup.

I'll update if I crash again or go a day or two without crashing. Whichever comes first.

Edit: Crashed after 2 hours when i tabbed out and back in...
Edited by Aotabo on 12/4/2012 7:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Latest beta release did not work at all for me. I turned my settings back up n DX11 to High and had a game lock-up/black screen within 30 seconds. This was in Halfhill. One other quick note, I'm on an Intel 5520 chipset... so I really wasn't holding my breath on these x58 or x79 fixes.

I'm at my wits end with this whole situation. I've started multiple posts with detailed specifics and no blue responses, but they sure do hit the threads that provide little details with the same "solutions" ad nauseum. Power supplies aren't the problem here guys... Dxdiag isn't going to tell you squat... I haven't seen a thread yet where either of those pointed to a problem. Changing to DX9 and low settings isn't a solution. Temps are fine. The game and drivers are screwing up... and it's time to fix it. Lots of players reporting all of their other games are fine and they only run into problems with WoW. What does that tell you?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Update on my situation.

One day with the new revision of the Beta Drivers, and I haven't come across a problem YET. I've yet to attempt Sha of Fear this week, but I DID do MV, and the Red Smoke that the trolls dropped did not trigger the lock up at all. This was when I was inside of it and outside of it. This brings me to two conclusions:

A. I was either pretty damn lucky that I did not trigger a freeze there.

OR...

B. The trigger that caused my freezing was not Tenwu's Red Smoke itself but being inside of it and getting the buff it can give people who are inside of it.

There's evidence supporting Theory B, as every time I experienced a seize up with Tenwu, it was when the Red Smoke was down AND I was in the Red Smoke, thus experiencing the buff it gives. If it's specific buffs/effects that are causing this rash of freezes, then it is altogether possible that, on Sha of Fear, my grabbing a Sha Orb and getting it's buff was what caused that particular lock up. No word on how getting hit by the fire in Darkmoon Island caused the lock up, but I'm certain that single tick of fire damage WAS the trigger.

What does all this mean? It means, that for these rash of lock ups, it's not random at all; there's a definite trigger to it. If we can catalog these triggers, we can better assist Blizzard in finding a fix.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Running 12.11 Beta11. No lockups thus far. Will try LFR tomorrow and that will determine it for me.

Too many different problems guys, if you're not experiencing the lock up where your pc just freezes up and becomes completely unresponsive for no reason it's something other than the universal problem here. The black screen, BSOD, artifacts, etc sound like dead/dying/overheating/underpowered/unstable overclock problems to me. Maybe it's related but I'm not so sure, regardless the beta notes are somewhat specific.

12/04/2012 09:51 PMPosted by Yinian
B. The trigger that caused my freezing was not Tenwu's Red Smoke itself but being inside of it and getting the buff it can give people who are inside of it.

I wish there was a way to narrow down a trigger, I thought it was just LFR for me. But earlier today before I checked for new drivers it happened when I was standing in SW. I wasn't even touching anything literally just standing there.
Edited by Anan on 12/4/2012 10:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
12/04/2012 10:13 PMPosted by Anan
I wish there was a way to narrow down a trigger, I thought it was just LFR for me. But earlier today before I checked for new drivers it happened when I was standing in SW. I wasn't even touching anything literally just standing there.

Yikes. Sorry to hear that dude. Perhaps the triggers vary from different people based on their Graphics Card? Like, the triggers what effect me do not necessarily effect a person with a different Radeon?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
New AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta 11 Drivers Available

Maybe worth trying for people on if:

* Resolves a sporadic system hang encountered with a single AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPU seen on X58 and X79 chipsets.
* Resolves an intermittent hang encountered with AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPUs in a CrossFire Eyefinity setup.

Cheers
Fro
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Based on the feedback I've been seeing here, at the EU forums, and in a thread linked over at the EU forums (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18461684), it appears that Catalyst 12.11 Beta11 is indeed the fix we've been long awaiting.

Anyone experiencing these sporadic system lockups, please update to the Catalyst 12.11 Beta11 that has been linked a couple of times already.

If you continue to experience issues that are not system lock-ups (e.g. black screens, BSODs, etc.) please post in a different thread as the problem is likely unrelated.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
12.11 Beta11 has solved the lock ups for me.

XFX DD Radeon HD 7850
ASUS P6T SE motherboard
Intel Core i7 920
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Don't toy with my emotions, months of problems SOLVED!!??! Trying now! Will report back!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]