PC Crash Radeon 7970

90 Worgen Druid
Downloading now. If this doesn't work my raiding life will be over. :-\
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
Installed 12.11 Beta 11 tonight and switched back to DX11. After a full LFR HoF and ToES as well as the usual dailies and whatnot, I had no lockups. A little more play time will tell (e.g. I always had a lockup on Feng in MV), but I'm optimistic. Yay!

-Foamy
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Also installed 12.11 beta that was updated 12/3. Made it through vaults last night with no lockups. Fingers crossed.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Well, I've been using the beta the last few days. No issues so far in HoF, MV, or the general world. So far so good. 7870, i7 950, x58 chipset.
Reply Quote
Just to make you feel better. Lastnight after patch, my psu exploded. Took several hours to air my place out. When I downloaded patch last night. It made my 7990 devil 13 card work harder, the voltage was increased about 1 volt more than typical. Couple minutes later kaboom! went the giant capacitor in the psu. Giant cloud of black burnt plastic smoke came out the rear of the psu. So today, I'll be ordering another new 1600 watt power supply.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Druenny, sorry to hear that! If it's any consolation, I once caused a PSU to explode into flames as well. Was Bitcoin mining with a Radeon 5870+5970 Tri-Fire setup and I guess it was a whee bit too demanding for the 750W PSU.

Hopefully nothing else is damaged! Power supplies can be cruel devices when they die. Good luck to ya.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
i don't know if anyone else has noticed this, i could be wrong but i think the reason were not having anymore freezes is because the game is not actually running in dx11 anymore, i downloaded 12.11 beta and had no system freeze in dx11 but i had the same artifacts and graphics just like i was running in dx9, like looking into the distance u see lil tiny white dots, so i switched back to 12.10 and set it to dx11 and it seems like same dx9 graphics with no dx11 performance increase, and ever sense 5.1 my fps has been sliced in half from 50 to 60 fps to 31 to 36 fps, if anyone can test this please let me know if its actually running in dx11, i don't know whats going on with this game anymore having poor performance low fps but no system freeze even while running dx11 with 12.10 driver version, fixen to say the heck with it and buy the latest nvidia card and give up on the 7970 :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
TnT
Druenny that really sucks :(

I guess my problem doesn't seem so bad now compared to yours. I replied to your post on my thread last night hoping you could help with the last two things you said I should try, but the more I'm reading the forums the less it seems its on my end.

I have two more days before my account is up, I most likely won't be renewing since I can't play but we'll see.

Hope the damage to your computer wasn't too bad and you get it up and running.

Thank you for all your help :)
Reply Quote
Druenny, sorry to hear that! If it's any consolation, I once caused a PSU to explode into flames as well. Was Bitcoin mining with a Radeon 5870+5970 Tri-Fire setup and I guess it was a whee bit too demanding for the 750W PSU.

Hopefully nothing else is damaged! Power supplies can be cruel devices when they die. Good luck to ya.

I tested everything else. It's just psu that went, my guess faulty psu. Luckly, I have my corporate laptop here at home. It will play wow, just not as nice. If this one blows, I'll have to answer the boss in Eden Prairie, Mn. Which would make a long day lol.

There was a capacitor, about the size on a 10 gauge shotgun shell. It basically exploded under a load. Sounded like a gun going off. I've had psu's much smaller wattage blow in the past. But this is the first time I blew a 1600 watt psu. In terms of power, roughly a milk heater or hair drier (some hair driers are 1500 watt, or more). Big juice, big bang, big cloud of smoke.

My wife is still washing clothes. The burnt plastic smell was absorbed, and is awful. We smell like heavy plastic smokers.

Druenny that really sucks :(

I guess my problem doesn't seem so bad now compared to yours. I replied to your post on my thread last night hoping you could help with the last two things you said I should try, but the more I'm reading the forums the less it seems its on my end.

I have two more days before my account is up, I most likely won't be renewing since I can't play but we'll see.

Hope the damage to your computer wasn't too bad and you get it up and running.

Thank you for all your help :)

Don't give up so easy.. Always a work around. You could even try opengl, see if that helps any. It's not a good fix, but a bandaid til something is figured out. Something is causing the odd issues. And looking over some of the stuff posted, I'm wondering if it's registry related. Uninstalling video drivers and download and run CCleaner. Reinstall video drivers. See if anything changed.
Edited by Druenny on 12/8/2012 11:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
TnT
12/08/2012 11:06 AMPosted by Druenny
There was a capacitor, about the size on a 10 gauge shotgun shell. It basically exploded under a load. Sounded like a gun going off. I've had psu's much smaller wattage blow in the past. But this is the first time I blew a 1600 watt psu. In terms of power, roughly a milk heater or hair drier (some hair driers are 1500 watt, or more). Big juice, big bang, big cloud of smoke.

Destroyed a hair dryer once, scared the crap out of me lol.

12/08/2012 11:06 AMPosted by Druenny
Don't give up so easy.. Always a work around. You could even try opengl, see if that helps any. It's not a good fix, but a bandaid til something is figured out. Something is causing the odd issues. And looking over some of the stuff posted, I'm wondering if it's registry related. Uninstalling video drivers and download and run CCleaner. Reinstall video drivers. See if anything changed.

How do I run Wow opengl?

Also I ran stress tests on my CPU and GPU to rule out overheating. Used Prime95 for CPU and although I was told to leave it running overnight, I let it run for about 2 hours and according to RealTemp, temps never went past 62c. As for my GPU, used Furmark to run a burn-in test full screen at my resolution for about 15 minutes and temps went up to 77c and pretty much leveled off there.

So I'm back where I started unless my PSU is going bad or something. Going to try reinstalling drivers one more time for the heck of it.
Reply Quote
You go into world of warcraft folder. Look for a folder called WTF. Inside is a file called config.wtf. Open it with notepad, and look for SET gxApi "D3D9" or SET gxApi "D3D11"

Edit it to SET gxApi "opengl"

Close and save.. And launch wow as normal.

Only thing I can think of is, Your psu should have plenty of power to run it. Either registry or something is not connected right. Maybe missing a wire plugged in somewhere. And I hope back of your psu, it's set at 115 volts. 220 would be europe. So, check over things, make sure there is a 6 pin wire from psu to video card. Pulling the video card out and reinstalling it for a better connection can sometimes help.

Do you by chance have another video card laying around? Try it once see if it crashes.. If it does, PSU is on it's way out. If it doesn't, it's video card related, could be a bad gpu.

Druenny
Edited by Druenny on 12/8/2012 2:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
TnT
Druenny

12/08/2012 02:08 PMPosted by Druenny
Do you by chance have another video card laying around? Try it once see if it crashes.. If it does, PSU is on it's way out. If it doesn't, it's video card related, could be a bad gpu.

Unfortunately, I don't, only a laptop vid card laying around.

Going to try opengl now, took the vid card out and put it back in, did a clean reinstall of my vid card drivers as well, switch is set to 115 on the back, checked just in case.

Black screen only happens on Wow, but can you suggest some decent psu's in case I do need to replace it?
Reply Quote

Black screen only happens on Wow, but can you suggest some decent psu's in case I do need to replace it?

I would stick with decent brands, Such as Thermaltake, Corsair. I would buy a psu for future reference, which would be around 700+ watts. 600 watt wouldn't be the worse. The psu I exploded was a cooler master. Which I've read a little about, that they outsource on who makes it. So one company could be making a 500 watt, while a different company makes a 700 watt. That in it's self is bad. And the reason mine blew, cheap parts. I am luckly nothing else was damage. So I would stick with a good maker even though it may cost a little more. It may save you money and time in the end.

You most likely would need a ATX form factor to fit the tower. Any wattage is fine 600-1800 watt. Any is fine, not going to fry the motherboard or something. You want to make sure it has all the plugs you need. Newer motherboards and drives are all sata plugs. Need a 4 pin for motherboard. A 6 pin plug for mid-range cards while others take 2-6 pin. My 7990 takes 3-8 pin plugs. So you need a psu that can do everything you need or plan on needing in the future. PSU's with 80 or 80 gold series, means they run at a 80% efficiency rate. Meaning little cheaper on the electric bill, but also run cooler. Cooler psu, could mean longer life expectancy, but not always.

Right now bestbuy has a 600 watt thermaltake psu on sale. $49.99. Should have more then the connectors that you need. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Thermaltake+-+TR2-600NL2NC+ATX12V+%26+EPS12V+Power+Supply/5381884.p;jsessionid=1BFDD52001FC078FE9208FE4296A5D32.bbolsp-app03-77?id=1218635882854&skuId=5381884&st=thermaltake%20power%20supply&cp=1&lp=2

Always keep some zip-ties on hand to wrap wiring and keep away from hot parts and moving parts such as fans. Also keep wires out of the way from restricting airflow.

Here's a little article you can read on how to test a psu. It also mentions a little on the affects on video cards underpowered or going bad. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/f/powersupplytest.htm

Some of the older, or cheaper psu's had big wattage ad for a sales pitch. Saying a lot of power. (Sort of like a guy looking at lawnmowers and saying, hey honey why buy that little 10 horsepower tractor, when I can get this 30 horsepower tractor, both have the same size mower deck, 60 dollars cheaper what a steal.. with the wooden wheels, I'll never have a flat). But what is not said out loud is the ampere's or wattage the rails have. (rails as in wire string/loom) Anyways, if the rail that carries power to the video card is too small. You are going to have video card problems, blackouts and such. Each and every video card will say how many amperes it needs to run that card. Like 24 amp, then you need a "rail" that can supply that video card with 24 amp or more.. I like to go over a little bit for extra headwind. So watch those things when buying a psu for a card. Even though it says 700 watts, the rail(s) maybe a lower wattage, then the video card requires. I've seen it where a 700 watt psu rail was 21 amp, while a 500 watt psu rail had 26 amp.
Edited by Druenny on 12/9/2012 8:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
TnT
Druenny

12/08/2012 08:23 PMPosted by Druenny
Here's a little article you can read on how to test a psu. It also mentions a little on the affects on video cards underpowered or going bad. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/f/powersupplytest.htm

Good info, will try that as soon as I can, thanks.

12/08/2012 08:23 PMPosted by Druenny
Each and every video card will say how many wattage it needs to run that card. Like 24 watts, then you need a "rail" that can supply that video card with 24 watts or more.. I like to go over a little bit for extra headwind. So watch those things when buying a psu for a card. Even though it says 700 watts, the rail(s) maybe a lower wattage, then the video card requires. I've seen it where a 700 watt psu rail was 21 watts, while a 500 watt psu rail had 26 watts.

My vid card: "requires minimum 12v current rating of 26A". My psu has two rails: 12v1=16A, 12v2=18A. Combined that's 34A...or does each rail need to supply 26A?
Reply Quote

My vid card: "requires minimum 12v current rating of 26A". My psu has two rails: 12v1=16A, 12v2=18A. Combined that's 34A...or does each rail need to supply 26A?

That's a trick question, and here's why. Even though some psu's say they are dual or four rails, they are in fact a single rail split. Some are true dual rails, while others are not. It's cheaper to make a power unit a single rail, and split it up making it look like a better deal when buying it. So buying a psu, you need to see if it's a true dual rail, or a split single rail. You also need to look at the psu's total amperes. If the total amperes for 12 volts is 34 amps, it should easily work.

To answer your question: If it's a true dual psu, yes 18+16=34. But if it's a fake dual rail, either line may read 34 amps alone like a single rail. If it has overpower protection, then it maybe 18A on one line and 16A on another, combined together making 34 amps. It seems to be a better idea for high end machines to just buy a good single rail, and you know what you got. Some say even though it can be done, combining rails can actually hurt a psu. I would assume on a true dual rail. On a fake dual rail, wouldn't make a difference because the power comes from a single source.

Everything you need to know http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page3.html
Edited by Druenny on 12/9/2012 9:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
TnT
Druenny

Well if I am getting 34 out of it, and at 520w should be more then adequate for my system. Unless the labeling is sneaky and I'm not getting anywhere near 520w which I've heard can happen with crappy low end psu's. This is probably a stock psu, never even heard of the name. I'm looking into getting a psu tester just to be sure it's working properly. I will replace it eventually to a more efficient higher quality psu, unless it turns out it is going bad now then I'll just grab that psu over at Best Buy sooner then later.

Well I can say this whole black screen issue has a positive side in that now I feel like an expert in computer hardware with all the information you've given me lol.
Reply Quote
Knowing the mechanics of each device, how's it is built. Means many things.

It is hard to say off the bat it's a psu that is crashing a card. But believe it or not, a bad psu can affect game frames per second. If it can not keep up, something is loss. So my answer would be, I can not say wither it's psu related or not. Maybe if a person stuck the video card in another computer and ran it all day long with no issue. Then, I would be suspicious about a faulty psu.

The psu I posted at bestbuy is a decent one. The wife's computer has had it for a few years with a 5870 card and never had a hiccup. It's a couple years older psu than the one year old psu that exploded on me. It says it's a dual rail, but if you open it up. It's a single rail split which is good. There is 2-6pin plugs on a single rail, pretty easy to work with and nothing to combine. For psu it has a 4x4 plug... Which you split into two 4's, and the one 4 would plug into the motherboard near the cpu. The other 4 or other half, if not needed, zip tie up out of the way.
Edited by Druenny on 12/9/2012 2:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
12/07/2012 06:40 PMPosted by Duraghost
i don't know if anyone else has noticed this, i could be wrong but i think the reason were not having anymore freezes is because the game is not actually running in dx11 anymore, i downloaded 12.11 beta and had no system freeze in dx11 but i had the same artifacts and graphics just like i was running in dx9, like looking into the distance u see lil tiny white dots, so i switched back to 12.10 and set it to dx11 and it seems like same dx9 graphics with no dx11 performance increase, and ever sense 5.1 my fps has been sliced in half from 50 to 60 fps to 31 to 36 fps, if anyone can test this please let me know if its actually running in dx11, i don't know whats going on with this game anymore having poor performance low fps but no system freeze even while running dx11 with 12.10 driver version, fixen to say the heck with it and buy the latest nvidia card and give up on the 7970 :(

It's definitely running in DX11 man. Did you do a clean install of the drivers? driver fusion in safe mode delete the old stuff etc etc? Has your card been running really hot? Any weird settings going on in catalyst? Is it happening in other games? If everything looks totally normal, your card might have gone bad on you :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
TnT
Druenny

If it's pretty decent I may just go ahead and get it anyway then, can't hurt to upgrade and the price is not bad.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Ya, did a clean install ran driver sweeper, the game is just running like crap for me i guess dono why, i have 7970 oc with msi afterburner to core 1125, mem 1575 voltage 1112, 16gb ram, liquid cooled i7 3960x oc to 4200 mhz 240 gb ssd drive 1200 watt corsair power supply p9x79 pro asus mother board, got a bad !@# system and in stormwind sense 5.1 my fps went from 56 to 60 in ultra settings to 31 to 36, this cant be normal, same performance in 12.10 and 12.11 beta, hows your performance?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]