PC Crash Radeon 7970

Druenny

If it's pretty decent I may just go ahead and get it anyway then, can't hurt to upgrade and the price is not bad.

Over time watching it.. It's not a 80 gold psu.. But seems to run about 72-73% efficiency. Which is very little difference from a 80 gold edition, if none at all. Depends how hard you pull power on it. I think for the price it would be one to consider. I've got my new 1600 today, I order another one just to keep on hand. That one should be here thursday. I will be ready for the unexpected. It would be even better, if I never have to use the extra new one.

Played wow for a while. No motherboard or any other issue. I was lucky.
Edited by Druenny on 12/10/2012 11:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
had the same issue's as everyone else. Full lock up/freeze with sound repeating, and had to hold the power button in order to turn it off. 7870. p9x79 mobo with 3.0 for graphic card. just updated my drivers....see how it goes.

To those posting on the last few pages about power output....off topic please post elsewhere ^^
Reply Quote
If you are still having x9XX card issues.. You need to do this http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/4/4/guide-how-to-completely-uninstall-amd-graphics-drivers.aspx

And remove absolutely all traces of amd, files and registry. Then, reboot and install either 12.10 or .11. Reboot, and delete WTF folder. Than, launch wow.

Unlike nvidia, Amd uninstaller reuses old files and registries. It does not do a complete uninstall. Where the nvidia uninstaller does, including registries.. This is why, I think nvidia cards are easier to fix. But if you have a amd card and reusing a bad registry setting with every install. You bet it's going to lag and not work.

I emailed Amd asking why this is not implmented in their uninstaller, or a separate uninstaller. No reply, but sure would save a lot of headaches.

If the one registry line is not correct, you'll have directx 9 and 11 errors in several games, other than wow.
Edited by Druenny on 12/10/2012 3:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
just wanted to update my posts, logged into wow today and there was a small patch, went into the game and my fps issue was fixed started playing and testing things after bout 20 min got the same ole pc freeze :( had to hard boot as usual, uninstalled 12.10 drivers tried out the 12.11 beta drivers again went back into game been playing all day fps is back to 56-60 in sw, and have not had a single freeze yet =) and dx11 seems to be working fine and like its suppose to no more lil white sparkle dots in the distance, so far very happy hope things stay fixed its about time =) yay!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Picked up a 7870 gigabyte 2 weeks ago and had the same crash type experience as everyone else, had no problems using my old 5830. I'm crashing anywhre between 20 to 120 mins into WoW, typically in Raids.

Was about to return it and found 12.11 beta drivers, installed and only have had a single crash so far, running WoW and NetFlix at the same time. Havent ran any RAIDs yet as all are locked for drops until tomorrow.

The 12.11 drivers do note that they have fixed a X58 (motherboard platform) issue and that's probably the key.

Still tempted to return and pick up a EVGA 2GB 660GTX instead.

i7 920 @ 3.6 Ghz
12GB RAM @ 1600
HD 7870 Gigabyte 2GB
SSD / HD
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
before hiting the play button. you can switch from directx11 to directx9 and switch to 32 bit mode. it might help eleviate the stress of the computer if its an older or poor performance model.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
TnT
12/10/2012 12:16 PMPosted by Appreception
To those posting on the last few pages about power output....off topic please post elsewhere ^^

You're right, we did get a little off-topic there, but it stemmed from an earlier post on this thread about faulty hardware possibly being the cause of the problem for some people :)

By the way did updating your drivers help?

Druenny-

Glad you got your psu and Wow's working for you :)
Edited by Lunashadów on 12/11/2012 3:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Update:
Since installing the Catalyst 12.11 beta driver on 5 Dec 2012,
I haven't froze. So, it's been a whole week.

I've definitely put Wow and Diablo 3 through it's paces.
(D3 froze pretty quick with the other drivers)

Hopefully the beta driver will turn into a stable, normal release soon, so that less adventurous people will be able to use their awesome graphics card with their awesome game :P
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I just had to say something...

I locked up today, after my raid fortunately, as I was going afk.
That makes 13 days of being lock-up free.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
i went four days crash free thinking of tanking again and two days of crashes again but it is getting better with each driver update, not sure i will ever buy a amd product again
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Hate to say this, but I just had a freeze up myself. It froze like it did the other times, but this time when fighting against LFR Tsulong, during the Night Phase. I dunno what exactly was the trigger that go, but it would seem as though our issue hasn't quite been resolved, at least not yet.

God. Feels like a bad horror movie. You know, right at the end, where the heroes think they've won, but as they're walking away, you see the killer/monster's body twitch and move? Yeah. Like that.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
wish someone (BLIZZARD OR AMD) would get this crap fixed
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Warrior
This whole thing is a joke i decided to throw my 2 cents in because i have 2 7950's crossfired together with a 3770k i7, I'm getting HUGE screen tearing right after i downloaded the patch it crashed and i got a blue screen. Now I'm getting the error "Your display drivers has stopped working windows was able to recover it". The screen tearing was HUGE triangles ripping the textures. I'm really annoyed from this i took a break from world of warcraft i came back thinking everything should be fixed and I'm hit with this I'm wishing that i never got a time card. I'm almost thinking i push for a refund. Boardlands 2 and battle field 3 i get well over 100FPS on ultra and world of warcraft can hardly run above 60FPS this whole thing is a bad joke.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Happened again, this time when I was facing the Earth Pandaren Spirit Tamer for the third time. As the battle started and was doing that zoom/swivel thing, the game locked up, sound ceased, then EVERYTHING locked up.

I WILL say that with the newest update to the Beta Drivers that this situation has become a lot less frequent, but now it seems to have become completely unpredictable. By that, I mean before I could easily, if I so chose, replicate triggers to freeze my machine. Now, though, it seems to be completely random.

More research needs to be done to figure out what the crap is going on, but I'll be sure to update this topic if I get another crash from a different source. The more info that's made available, the better the chance that things can be fixed.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Happened YET AGAIN, this time on my Shadow Priest during HoF LFR, the first wing. Happened during the first and second boss, with it happening during Force and Verve on the last phase of Vizier and, on the second boss, during the last phase where you're zigging and zagging through tornadoes.

I'm not sure what exactly was the trigger to cause my system to lock up there, though. If anyone else can report on this situation, so that we may know more, that'd be fantastic. Also, if anyone knows if there was a new update to the AMD Beta Drivers, that'd be fantastic too.
Reply Quote
24 Undead Warlock
Hmmmm you guys are making me maybe rethink my desktop build, right now I am planning to run a 7970 in my build but there is no way that I am going to renew and start a 6 month subscription only to not be able to play.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
01/01/2013 07:28 PMPosted by Velsomnia
Hmmmm you guys are making me maybe rethink my desktop build, right now I am planning to run a 7970 in my build but there is no way that I am going to renew and start a 6 month subscription only to not be able to play.

I wouldn't blame you in the least dude. Hell, I've about had it myself and am starting to look for a new and better Graphics Card that doesn't use an AMD Chipset.
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Warlock
Personally I have just built a new system and suffered many hard locks during games and simple internet browsing and it was extremely hard to find a direct answer.

Update:
Since installing the Catalyst 12.11 beta driver on 5 Dec 2012,
I haven't froze. So, it's been a whole week.

I've definitely put Wow and Diablo 3 through it's paces.
(D3 froze pretty quick with the other drivers)

Hopefully the beta driver will turn into a stable, normal release soon, so that less adventurous people will be able to use their awesome graphics card with their awesome game :P

From AMD's ccc 12.11 beta 11 updates:

"Resolves a sporadic system hang encountered with a single AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPU seen on X58 and X79 chipsets"

I have also seen notes about crossfire issues, but the basic problem for me is that the 12.10 driver is NOT compatible with my DX79SI motherboard.

It was very difficult for me to find this on the web, actually it was just by dumb luck and so far it has been helping greatly. Good luck out there

System Specs (with versions, since it is very difficult when someone comes across saying "mine is working perfectly" without any details):

DX79SI Motherboard with BIOS SIX79103.86A.0553.2012.1027.1042
16 GB Corsair Dominator Memory at STANDARD settings (1333, not XMP profile 1)
system agent voltage: 0.85
XFX HD7970 Black at standard overclock
i7-3930K no overclocking

Once I can verify system stability, will work on increasing clock rates
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Same issues have been happening to me since I purchased a 7970.

Freeze-up with the sound issue. I deactivated the graphic card sound and downgraded to DX9. I will try downloading the 12.11 Beta drivers if the problem persists.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
01/01/2013 07:32 PMPosted by Yinian

I wouldn't blame you in the least dude. Hell, I've about had it myself and am starting to look for a new and better Graphics Card that doesn't use an AMD Chipset.

Eh...

Nvidia also has issues. I bought a gtx 680 to replace my 7970 to see if the issues would go away.

The GTX doesn't freeze like the 7970 in dx11 but it will give that annoying "Driver has recovered.." message then it brings fps down to 15. Performing a /console reloadui usually fixes it, but it gets annoying to having to do this every 5 to 30 minutes.

So for now, I'm back to the 7970 using dx9 mode (crash free).

I really hope Blizzard and AMD/Nvidia fix these issues soon.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]