Lets get WoW back to it's roots!

55 Human Death Knight
After reading this article
http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/05/02/5-awesome-ways-world-of-warcraft-has-improved-since-day-one/

And watching the opening Cinematic here
http://youtu.be/vlVSJ0AvZe0

I came to realize something, The reason I started playing this game was for the war part (aka pvp). I still get tingles when the opening narrator says “The drums of war thunder once again”. The cinematic goes on to show a Night Elf fighting an Orc, A human Mage fighting an Undead Warlock, and a Dwarf Hunter fighting a Tauren Shaman (I think, he has a giant tree for a weapon). Nowhere in the cinematic does it show a group of people fighting some dragon. It is all about the 2 factions fighting one another.

WoW today has evolved into a PvE focused environment, And the formula seems to work. compared to 2005 the relative popularity has grown a great deal. I ask, what have we lost?

It’s just today’s wow seems a bit pasteurized. I understand people do not enjoy being ganked when trying to quest, but this was a part of the game that made it so crazy and fun. Leveling in 2004 from 1-60 was easily the greatest gaming experience of my life. The ganking, random PvP, the camping, and the organizing an entire Zone to group up and kill a high level ganker were some of the most memorable experiences I have had from WoW. If people did not like it, they could always re-rill on a PvE server... Today you can level from 1-85 ON A PVP SERVER and never even see the other faction.

I am hoping MoP and the “No fly” rule in the new zones will do something to reignite some of the horde/alliance rivalry.

Please Blizzard, don’t forgets the roots of this game. This is a faction based war game.

Thank you.

Edit:
1. If you play on a PvE server this post really has nothing to do with you, choosing a PvE server you essentially opted out of all this stuff. No one will force PvP on you.

2. I am fully aware there was no “PvP System” in 2004, but something most of you who did not play back then do not understand is PvP (on pvp servers) was ingrained into the leveling experience from 20-60. When people got to LvL 20 and got to Tarren mill/South Shore, and Ashenvale you would consistently run into the other faction and even though there was no reward for it. People engaged one another in PvP... Because that was just the way it was. This is what us “Old school” players are talking about.
Edited by Woo on 5/4/2012 6:39 AM PDT
90 Undead Mage
05/03/2012 08:20 AMPosted by Woo
Please Blizzard, don’t forgets the roots of this game. This is a faction based war game.

I always thought it was an MMO with PvP thrown in to appease a larger player base. But I guess everyone views it differently. To each, their own.
05/03/2012 08:20 AMPosted by Woo
WoW today has evolved into a PvE focused environment

Been that way since launch. WoW has always been primarily a PvE game with a strong PvP sub game.
90 Human Warrior
One thing Warcraft has ALWAYS been based on....

Orcs vs Humans.
85 Night Elf Druid
05/03/2012 09:07 AMPosted by Solaru

Been that way since launch. WoW has always been primarily a PvE game with a strong PvP sub game.

This basically, even though the game is based off of Humans vs Orcs (PvP) it's primarily a PvE game.

But MoP is trying to bring in the PvPness :)!
90 Human Paladin
05/03/2012 09:07 AMPosted by Solaru

QFT.
90 Human Priest
wanna kill some orcs? go to hellfire peninsula.

wanna kill some humans? go to scarlet monastery
Ya
bring it back.
I thought MMO meant massive multiple online role playing game. not seeing pve in there hmm.
and viewed world warcraft as pvp role playing as opposite factions, different views indeed.
Edited by Furiouschops on 5/3/2012 9:22 AM PDT
Community Manager
http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/05/02/5-awesome-ways-world-of-warcraft-has-improved-since-day-one/

I came to realize something, The reason I started playing this game was for the war part (aka pvp). I still get tingles when the opening narrator says “The drums of war thunder once again”. The cinematic goes on to show a Night Elf fighting an Orc, A human Mage fighting an Undead Warlock, and a Dwarf Hunter fighting a Tauren Shaman (I think, he has a giant tree for a weapon). Nowhere in the cinematic does it show a group of people fighting some dragon. It is all about the 2 factions fighting one another.

WoW today has evolved into a PvE focused environment, And the formula seems to work. compared to 2005 the relative popularity has grown a great deal. I ask, what have we lost?

It’s just today’s wow seems a bit pasteurized. I understand people do not enjoy being ganked when trying to quest, but this was a part of the game that made it so crazy and fun. Leveling in 2004 from 1-60 was easily the greatest gaming experience of my life. The ganking, random PvP, the camping, and the organizing an entire Zone to group up and kill a high level ganker were some of the most memorable experiences I have had from WoW. If people did not like it, they could always re-rill on a PvE server... Today you can level from 1-85 ON A PVP SERVER and never even see the other faction.

I am hoping MoP and the “No fly” rule in the new zones will do something to reignite some of the horde/alliance rivalry.

Thank you.

We're with you on the idea of getting people engaged in PvP again within the world. As I've said previously though, we have to be careful about how we do that. We'll hopefully have more information for you all on what we have planned that will assuage some fears of those who aren't very PvP passionate, while (hopefully) still making PvP compelling for those who do love taking part. (Raises her hand) While we have many players who enjoy PvP, we have a larger contingent that enjoys PvE more. That makes maintaining balance between the concepts a bit more challenging, but we love challenges.

As far as the story goes, we've talked a bit about that and what's coming is twofold. War is coming to Pandaria, which (while it's had its strife in the past) is largely a peaceful region of Azeroth. That's going to change as the Horde and Alliance start stirring up the dust of the past. Beyond what happens in Pandaria, the Horde and Alliance will be at each others' throats once more. We've mentioned it many times before, but we really do feel that the "war" of Warcraft is going to be featured a bit more prominently in the story. It may not necessarily translate to all out chaos in a direct PvP way, but it will definitely be seen playing out in the storyline itself.

Again, we'll try to bring you more information specifically about the PvP end of our plans (more detail of what was heard from the press event) and get everyone caught up to speed on what we hope this will mean going forward.
50 Gnome Warlock
Today you can level from 1-85 ON A PVP SERVER and never even see the other faction.

That's because ON A PVP SERVER people roll on the side that has all the people. Almost no one plays Alliance on Illidan for example.
90 Dwarf Warlock
@Neth, are Blizzard considering more Wintergrasp/HFP style buffs where the dominant faction gets access to a neat buff that reduces grinding (extra rep, extra XP, stuff like that).

Because they rocked and one of the bigger let downs of Tol Barad was that outside extra honor and a few extra dailies, there wasn't really any real reward for winning TB.
37 Draenei Paladin
People are too afraid to lose to someone else.

It is a playerbase issue, not really a developer issue.

I find most of the BG minigames to be fun and exciting. Much more so than any LFD ever is.
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Thank you.

We're with you on the idea of getting people engaged in PvP again within the world. As I've said previously though, we have to be careful about how we do that. We'll hopefully have more information for you all on what we have planned that will assuage some fears of those who aren't very PvP passionate, while (hopefully) still making PvP compelling for those who do love taking part. (Raises her hand) While we have many players who enjoy PvP, we have a larger contingent that enjoys PvE more. That makes maintaining balance between the concepts a bit more challenging, but we love challenges.

As far as the story goes, we've talked a bit about that and what's coming is twofold. War is coming to Pandaria, which (while it's had its strife in the past) is largely a peaceful region of Azeroth. That's going to change as the Horde and Alliance start stirring up the dust of the past. Beyond what happens in Pandaria, the Horde and Alliance will be at each others' throats once more. We've mentioned it many times before, but we really do feel that the "war" of Warcraft is going to be featured a bit more prominently in the story. It may not necessarily translate to all out chaos in a direct PvP way, but it will definitely be seen playing out in the storyline itself.

Again, we'll try to bring you more information specifically about the PvP end of our plans (more detail of what was heard from the press event) and get everyone caught up to speed on what we hope this will mean going forward.

I can't wait for this! Too long has the world been empty, bring it on!
Also take away dual-lock outs for older raid content. Thanks!
Today you can go from level 15-85 in Orgrimaar. The point is that you have a CHOICE. Go to a populated server, and tell me how often you don't see the opposing faction after level 15. I play wow for wow, and I play it under the assumption that pve and pvp are both giant aspects of a whole. I arena (though I rarely have stable partners) I raid 25 man Heroic (Finally got spine down last night) and I bg. It's about having fun, not about roots, the game today is about again choosing what you want to do with your time.
90 Human Priest
All I can say is if I'm forced to pvp in any way shape or form in order to progress my characters it will be the final straw.
I despise WoW pvp with a passion, I do not pay to not be able to play.
Edited by Bankrolly on 5/3/2012 9:35 AM PDT
90 Troll Shaman
05/03/2012 09:28 AMPosted by Bomdanil
Today you can level from 1-85 ON A PVP SERVER and never even see the other faction.

That's because ON A PVP SERVER people roll on the side that has all the people. Almost no one plays Alliance on Illidan for example.

Oh, I've leveled characters questing out in the world on more balanced pvp realms, though still unbalanced - on the lesser popular side... and sometimes still even didn't see the opposite faction while leveling.
Edited by Quintzaker on 5/3/2012 9:36 AM PDT
85 Night Elf Priest
All I can say is if I'm forced to pvp in any way shape or form in order to progress my characters it will be the final straw.
I despise WoW pvp with a passion, I do not pay to not be able to play.

There is no way they could do that because when people outlevel the content what are new players going to do?

Relax, you can continue to hit the brainless dummies for experience.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Neth you're so sweet ! It's good to see a blue poster, i haven't seen yall in a long time
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]