Starting heroic ultraxion next week.

85 Human Paladin
My guild is starting heroic ultraxtion next week after some delay and i would like to have some advice on how to soak it and some general tips. Our comp is prot pally - ret pally, blood dk - unholy dk, shadow priest, fire mage, rogue, ret pally, hunter, ele shaman, resto druid and resto shaman. I have a general idea of what i would like to do but I just would like some advice and helpful tips.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
tank - hunter
tank - mage
rogue - S priest

Start with Blood Lust (healers press Heroic Will to avoid it)
Blood Lust again later in fight
Use Heroic Will in the last possible moment
Edited by Tarvos on 5/4/2012 7:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Set up 3 groups of 2 people.
Have group 1 take hour of twilight 1 and 4
Have group 2 take HoT 2 and 5
Have group 3 Take HoT 3 and 6

Group 1: Prot pally, fire mage (have him cauterize the first one as the healing isn't as intense at that point)
Group 2: Spriest, Blood DK
Group 3: Hunter, rogue

You can easily mix and match. Only one I'd really stick to is the fire mage in group 1 with cauterize because of the damage his ability does after the fact. You don't want that damage stacking up w/ the raid damage.

Also, ask the ele shaman to be back up. If somebody dies and isn't available to stay out, he should stay out, die and ankh back in.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/04/2012 07:47 AMPosted by Khahan
Also, ask the ele shaman to be back up. If somebody dies and isn't available to stay out, he should stay out, die and ankh back in.

If you need a backup, have the ret pally do it with divine shield.

The shaman using recincarnation wouldn't be available for every pull. Divine shield will be.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Rets can used glyphed Divine Protection. Hell, at 20%, I'm not sure if it even needs to be glyphed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I would think the ret pally would be a better soaker than firemage... at least on the second soaking you don't take any damage with Bubble whereas you still need to heal up the mage or risk dying...

Hunter, rogue, and spriest are premier soakers taking no or next to no damage...
Edited by Emmey on 5/4/2012 11:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Put the rogue, spriest, and/or hunter in group 1, because that group will take Hour 7, which is during the crazy damage phase in the last minute. Those three will take like 25k for the spriest or 0 damage for for the rogue and hunter, so you don't have extra healing to do (so especially do not have the mage in group 1).
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Thanks everyone for all the advice. Really going to help my guild next week. <3 you all.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I would think the ret pally would be a better soaker than firemage... at least on the second soaking you don't take any damage with Bubble whereas you still need to heal up the mage or risk dying...

Hunter, rogue, and spriest are premier soakers taking no or next to no damage...

Back when I soaked before any nerfs, I maybe had to Evocate (glyphed of course) after soaking for the 6th HoT our first few kills. Now we don't even get 6 HoT's, so the one I have to soak is accompanied by very little raid damage and it isn't a problem for one of the healers to throw a heal on me before Cauterize kills me.

For a guild that's just starting it though, I would recommend Evocating after the HoT hits to ensure you don't die...or just remind your healers they need to get some kind of heal on you as soon as they return from Heroic Will.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
We actually just got it last night.

Group Layout
Bear Tank
Blood Death Knight
Me (Assassination Rogue)
Combat Rogue
Surv Hunter
Feral Kitty
Resto Shammy
Resto Druid
Mage
Ret Pally

Hour 1: Death Knight & Combat Rogue. No damage at all.

Hour 2: Both Feral Druids. A lot of damage to the Kitty, but survivable.

Hour 3: Me and the Hunter. No damage at all.

Me and the other Rogue made sure to hit Feint as often as it was up to reduce damage from the Unstable Monstrosity ticking damage. Managed to squeeze it out at the end.

Dps was 1-5 = 32k-30k. The kitty was at 19k (first time seeing the boss period, even on Normal).
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Death Knight
We used Ice block on the 4-6th soak and let cauterize proc on the 1-3, because our mage only needed to pop mage ward and get a quick heal out of the hour, as opposed to the 2nd half the encounter it was much more prudent to 0 out the hour as opposed to mitigate it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
I always Cauterize on the 6th twilight. Never died.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
05/04/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Balkoth
Put the rogue, spriest, and/or hunter in group 1, because that group will take Hour 7, which is during the crazy damage phase in the last minute. Those three will take like 25k for the spriest or 0 damage for for the rogue and hunter, so you don't have extra healing to do (so especially do not have the mage in group 1).

Having 3 stay out? Is that 25 man?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Start with Blood Lust (healers press Heroic Will to avoid it)
Blood Lust again later in fight
Use Heroic Will in the last possible moment

this is not necessary if this is 10m
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
If you have an Unholy DK couldn't you drop AMS/AMZ in a pinch? Kind of risky but better than a wipe.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
05/04/2012 01:58 PMPosted by Khahan

It's 5 on 25man first of all, and secondly, the and/or part of his statement denotes that not all of them are needed. In fact, you need 2 of those 3. So saying that Those 3 will take minimal damage doesn't mean they all take it together, it merely means they all take low amounts of damage when they do elect to soak be it some together or not.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/04/2012 01:58 PMPosted by Khahan

Takes 5 per hour on 25 man heroic. 15 Player rotation. Actually made it kind of fun. You have to coordinate more externals and raid damage reduction cd's since it's unlikely you will have 15 classes in your comp that can soak it without help for both (though now with nerfs I"m sure it's not as much of an issue).
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
How good are your DPS ?

The enrage check is still really tight, especially on 10m
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Enrage check is not tight on 10M. If everyone can click button / press damage reduction ability at the right time, you win; otherwise you lose.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
The enrage has always been rather light on 10 man. The only part of the fight that was ever really challenging on 10 man (I use that lightly) was that it was pretty difficult to actually reach enrage with 2 healers, so there was a soft enrage present that was not present on 25. However it was still possible to reach hard enrage at 0% and 5% with really strong healers and cool down usage. Now I imagine that the fight is basically can you do x amount of damage in 6:05, yes or no.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]