Dual Speccing Holy/Disc

100 Gnome Priest
I know there's quite a few priests out there who have a Holy/Disc setup, I hope some of you don't mind throwing some quick advice my way.

I've been Disc/Disc (pve/pvp), but decided to drop the pvp spec that's rarely used and give myself another raiding option.

This is mainly a gearing question, how much spirit do you try to aim for? As disc I was down to 2k spirit (not including HoU stacks). I dropped all the reforges out of spirit, which landed me at 3k spirit.

I have the feeling I'm gimping myself as disc like this though. I'm losing 1k worth of reforged spirit that won't do much for me as disc. And I don't think I need so much spirit as Holy.

Also, from what I'm reading Haste is Holy's priority until 12.5%, then haste and mastery are about even. This doesn't seem to be any conflict with disc, although I prefer mastery over haste as disc. I'm figuring prioritizing haste to 12.5%>mastery>haste >crit.

While I'm asking, for H Zon'ozz and H Hagara, am I correct in believing that holy is superior for those fights?

We finally put progression attempts in on H Zon'ozz this week with my resto druid's group and got him down about 8 pulls. After doing the fight as resto druid (which blew my disc priest away), it seems like something that holy would be better at. Opinions?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
05/04/2012 09:53 AMPosted by Koban
how much spirit do you try to aim for?

The more Spirit you have as Holy, the better. Spirit is our best throughput stat, due to it feeding our mana starved spec. I currently have 4,373 Spirit, and I still want more.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
Hmm... Now I'm considering using the handful of tokens and random pieces of gear in my bags that were meant for shadow, if I ever played it, and just splitting my set up a bit. Reforging any duplicate piece out of spirit for disc. It kind of bugs me to have to do that though.
Edited by Koban on 5/4/2012 10:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Tiriel, have you ever tried a heavy Mastery/Spirit build for Disc? I find it extremely useful on Warmaster due to almost blocking out almost every Onslaught, most of the charges that people are too stupid to move out of, and then the swirls too. To say the least, I am a PW:S bot for H Warmaster. Then, for Spine and Madness, I go back to Holy.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
So, from your feedback it looks the plan is to split up my gear a bit where I can.

I'm still going to be pretty spirit heavy for disc though with what I have now. I guess having more mana doesn't hurt.

Any opinion on picking up Archangel as Holy for the 15% healing buff? I'm also pondering 3/3 Darkness over 2/2 Veiled Shadows.

I also see that neither of you are specced into Surge of Light, not valuable enough?
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
Didn't think it was, but apparently its fairly popular :/

I was initially following a cookie cutter spec, but I never could get much use out of Veiled Shadows when I picked it up as Disc.

Is Blessed Resilience really worth having?
Reply Quote
05/04/2012 02:14 PMPosted by Koban
Is Blessed Resilience really worth having?

Its so/so, heavily dependent on the damage pattern of the fight and your strategy.

As for the Archangel as Holy, it is a throughput gain....if you only use HF on cooldown and pop it Only when at 5 stacks. Great for fights like Yor'sajh and Zon'ozz, but absolutely terrible for Ultrax and Spine(triply so here....) and only marginally useful elsewhere. Honestly, I wouldn't use it at all, better to spend the points in Darkness to help with haste.

As for Veiled Shadows, the only 2 fights it is good for are Spine and Madness, because of length, and even then, marginally so, the points are better spent elsewhere.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
You should really have two different sets, same as you would for any other dual spec. You can share about half the pieces (just like you might with Shadow) but overall you want your Holy set to have the absolute maximum attainable Spirit, while your Disc set sits around 2500, maybe 3k with trinkets factored in.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
I had 3 tier tokens and a belt in my bags, so made myself a mini-set for holy. So now I'm down to 2400 spirit on my disc set, 3k on holy.

I have my spec/glyphs how I like em now. Just need to do a raid to get completely used to the change in style.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
I think people often overexaggerate Disc's disdain for Spirit. H Spine is by far the most healing intensive encounter in the game, and it's also extremely hard to predict reliable Rapture intervals.

Is it necessary? No, probably not. Better priests than I have done H Spine with far less spirit. But I always take the position of "why make things harder than they need to be?" and for me, that means gobloads of regen.

It's horrifically overkill for every other encounter in DS, but hey; you build toward the hardest content, not the easiest.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
I think people often overexaggerate Disc's disdain for Spirit. H Spine is by far the most healing intensive encounter in the game, and it's also extremely hard to predict reliable Rapture intervals.

Is it necessary? No, probably not. Better priests than I have done H Spine with far less spirit. But I always take the position of "why make things harder than they need to be?" and for me, that means gobloads of regen.

It's horrifically overkill for every other encounter in DS, but hey; you build toward the hardest content, not the easiest.

I'm hoping I can get my group up to H spine in a few weeks. There have been very few fights where mana became an issue though so I dropped as much regen as I could for stronger burst and shields.

Rapture procs have become a pain with the lower damage now and much better geared tanks. If I could map out my procs during a fight most would line up with some sort of special ability.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
05/04/2012 10:36 AMPosted by Tiriél
2) Holy is MUCH stronger than Disc on Zon'ozz and Hagara.

Agreed on Hagara, but not on Zon'ozz. Pre-shielding people who are about to get hit by the ball during P1 (and stacking DA) does wonders and will save your other healers quite a lot of mana --- especially if you're a mastery stacking disc priest. Shields are also amazing for black phase.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
05/05/2012 02:16 AMPosted by Pandabearr
Agreed on Hagara, but not on Zon'ozz. Pre-shielding people who are about to get hit by the ball during P1 (and stacking DA) does wonders and will save your other healers quite a lot of mana --- especially if you're a mastery stacking disc priest. Shields are also amazing for black phase.

Divine Hymn during black phase >>>>> shields at any time.
Edited by Kaels on 5/5/2012 2:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
05/05/2012 02:21 AMPosted by Paintbrush
In the end, while Disc does bring nice utility by giving out easy EH with bubbles (which is the case in any fight you go Disc as - that's Disc's "thing"), chances are most groups are gonna struggle with that initial volley of damage in black phase - which Divine Hymn handily mitigates, and DA just can't come close to.

05/05/2012 02:25 AMPosted by Kaels
Divine Hymn during black phase >>>>> shields at any time.

Pretty sure with 3 healers, and assigned healing targets, there's no need to use any heavy cd like that at all during the initial damage in black phase (especially with nerfs), at least not with my group --- unless we get desperate and our DPS start sucking due to taking too long on killing the adds. All healers do is push out some heavy healing, like FH/GH/PW: Shield spam in my case, and we're golden. We don't use any heavy cd's until about 4th black phase where we just stack on boss and burn him down.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]