www.ibuypower.com Curiosity

100 Worgen Hunter
I was looking to buy a new computer from the website I mentioned in the title, www.ibuypower.com, and the price seems good for the quality of computer im getting. It seems almost too good compared to the Alienware I was considering, so I just want to know if anyone else bought a computer from them, and if it was the quality you expected etc. I just don't want to drop a large sum of money, and get a peice of junk. Thanks for the help.

tldr; Is www.ibuypower.com a legit website that I can trust will get me a high quality computer, with what I customized?

I'll be honest with you.. for you to consider buying an Alienware is rather stupid. Alienware's are the most overpriced computer's you can buy. Build your own computer. Cheaper and better than some random Alienware.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I bought a cyberpowerpc rig. Was Dead within an hour. Returned, Got a new one same specs. DOA. happened 2 more times before I gave up on the company completely.

Sorry, But no. Read their forums. It's a terrible company with an F rating on the BBB
Reply Quote
45 Human Rogue
I'd recommend CyberpowerPC over iBuypower, or just build one of your own, because you can always go to tomshardware. They will be happy to help you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/
Reply Quote
79 Undead Warlock
Build your own PC.

If you even remotely care for saving money and want to reap the rewards of building your own system by buying individual parts, take the minuscule amount of time to learn how to build it. It's really not hard. And having the knowledge on how to replace and reconfigure your system is going to come in handy in the long run. Newegg has even taken the time to create a series on how to do it so even if you're a mentally handicapped monkey you can figure it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw&feature=player_embedded
Edited by Rauxy on 5/4/2012 7:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
21 Night Elf Rogue
Honestly, I just really do not want to go through all of the trouble of building my own...I know there are videos I can watch but I don't wanna risk breaking something, and also then I would have to wait for multiple parts to come in. I wouldn't even know what to buy...
Reply Quote
79 Undead Warlock
Watch the videos first and then say those same things. It literally tells you everything you need to know.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't really know the first thing about building computers, or I would... = /
Is there something better you could recommend?
It comes prebuilt
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
ibuypower and cyberpower are both legit, but both are going to get complaints because they make so many desktops and laptops that they're going to make mistakes from time to time. I'm sure they do cut corners on some things as well.

Personally, I prefer to build it myself, just so I know it's done how I want it, but there's nothing wrong with using either of those 2.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
05/04/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Kellaria
Honestly, I just really do not want to go through all of the trouble of building my own...I know there are videos I can watch but I don't wanna risk breaking something, and also then I would have to wait for multiple parts to come in. I wouldn't even know what to buy...

The risk is really low. I built my first one a year ago or so with no help, and only really followed a guide on what pieces to install first. It really is intimidating, but it isn't nearly as hard as you make yourself believe it is.

The hardest thing to do is to make sure your wiring is decent and you have good airflow imo.

It's a cool experience, and I don't just recommend it for the price, but also knowing you built it yourself is pretty cool.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
05/04/2012 04:21 PMPosted by Missingno
And will all these geeks saying "build your own computer" PLEASE shut up? Not all of us are electricians or mechanics, we don't know and don't really care to learn technical skills we can pay someone a little bit more to do for us.

Building a computer is actually very easy. I had no previous knowledge and was able to do it just from the "how to" videos on newegg.

It doesn't take a "geek" to do it. Just need to be able to follow simple directions. The only way you'll break anything is if you're not doing what you're supposed to. It's seriously as simple as taking a part and putting it where it's supposed to go. It's not technical at all.

What's wrong with trying to help people save money and learn a helpful skill?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok&feature=relmfu
Reply Quote
79 Undead Warlock
My current desktop came from them two years ago. ~$1000 and it plays Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 on max settings perfectly.

And will all these geeks saying "build your own computer" PLEASE shut up? Not all of us are electricians or mechanics, we don't know and don't really care to learn technical skills we can pay someone a little bit more to do for us.

Alright this post is just blaring ignorance, but the main point is that paying someone else to give you a pre built computer gives them the liberty of sticking any price tag they want on whatever hardware they want. Obviously it's not going to be so ridiculous as to conserve a solid reputation and deal with competitors but it's common tactic to stick a terrible power supply and bare minimum motherboard into your system. But whatever man, if money is gushing out your butthole and you don't really care I guess it doesn't really matter.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
My current desktop came from them two years ago. ~$1000 and it plays Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 on max settings perfectly.

Technically they dont know that the site builds the systems for you, so yeah, you are getting a pre built system according to your specs. So Id tell em to STUFF IT :D

I recently built a modest little system that can play WoW on good with a few items on ultra like particle density for $600-$620. Thats including Win 7 Pro
Edited by Cheezyburger on 5/5/2012 1:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Having looked at buying a pre-built because of a physical handicap, I would say this:

- If buying pre-built, buy directly through their site. A lot of complaints involve people buying a pre-built with their name through a third-party website. Some of these include refurbished parts or returned setups.

- Read the return/replacement/warranty policies thoroughly. Note when they start counting the 30+ day window for returns, some start the timer the moment it ships, regardless of how long it takes to reach you.

- Are returns going back to them for a similar component or the exact damaged/defective item? Some have a policy that makes you return it to the manufacturer and not them.

- Keep a list of what you paid for and check against what you actually receive.

Advantages of building your own rig will always win out against pre-built, I have no doubt, but sometimes cost is worth it to people and sometimes we just cannot be hassled with it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
People should realized that not everyone is willing to learn to build a computer and rather have it prebuilt. Don't force them just throw it out as a suggestion

anyways
my experience with iBuypower was okay. Didn't have trouble with them and they responded quite quick when I had a question about ram switching several years ago.

other sites include cyberpowerpc. I never had an experience with them so I wouldn't know personally but from what other people experience they seem to be about the same level as iBuypower

I personally like the lay out on iBuyPower website
but I believe Cyberpowerpc offers a bit more options if you are the guy who has money laying around.

I believe another site that was pretty big on MMO champ forum for awhile at least was

Ironsidecomputers

they are a new company though and they were trying to impress their crowd so you can give that site a go as well

If you need help picking out parts afterwards you can always check out kal's thread someone on this forum
Reply Quote
71 Gnome Warlock
www.maingear.com

Can't go wrong with them. Top-of-the-line builds, personal service (if you have any problems, you don't talk to a sales-rep, you talk to the specific person who built your machine), and excellent pricing. They even give you a free T-shirt.
Reply Quote
www.ncix.com would be what i recommend, that is if you don't want to build your own.
Edited by Anron on 5/8/2012 12:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]