Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Guide: MK II

100 Blood Elf Paladin
I would just re-use existing keyboard+mouse, and save $.
Yes, those two does add up quite a bit to the price.
85 Goblin Shaman
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15155094

Just got a job, and I'm in desperate need of upgrading. However, due to the fact that I'm a high schooler working roughly minimum wage, the wishlist above is a little expensive (my friend picked out all the parts for me, since I know nothing about computer parts).

What I'm looking for is any and all information I should know about the above parts, and feasible replacements. Any help is greatly appreciated :)
100 Blood Elf Paladin
$1000? :X

Why don't you check out the guide's addendum part with the some of the build example ideas? That will help you decide what you will need or not. He pretty much built you the "best gaming PC for that given price".

If you want to keep it as it is, I'd swap out the SSD for a Crucial m4 128GB (and either buy an extra SATA cable, or scrounge up from your old computer), or even spend a bit more for Intel 520.

You can also save $ by going with a lot cheaper power supply, like PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W.

Are you actually going to overclock your CPU? If so, get ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX motherboard. If not, get i5-2300 CPU with ASRock H61M/U3S3 motherboard, then downgrade the RAM to 4GB version of it.

What about a DVD drive, needed to install Windows with? You have a copy of Windows 7?
85 Tauren Paladin
Bad
It's been a week now and I've had zero issues ( excluding immature GTX 680 drivers ). I guess that thermal paste/bent pin didn't matter.
85 Goblin Shaman
$1000? :X

Why don't you check out the guide's addendum part with the some of the build example ideas? That will help you decide what you will need or not. He pretty much built you the "best gaming PC for that given price".

If you want to keep it as it is, I'd swap out the SSD for a Crucial m4 128GB (and either buy an extra SATA cable, or scrounge up from your old computer), or even spend a bit more for Intel 520.

You can also save $ by going with a lot cheaper power supply, like PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W.

Are you actually going to overclock your CPU? If so, get ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX motherboard. If not, get i5-2300 CPU with ASRock H61M/U3S3 motherboard, then downgrade the RAM to 4GB version of it.

What about a DVD drive, needed to install Windows with? You have a copy of Windows 7?

I was honestly looking for something around the $600-$700 range, lol. So I was probably going to forgo the SSD altogether. I'll probably not end up overclocking my CPU, since I only learned what that was like last week. And since I need to buy Windows 7/see if my friend will let me borrow his pirated copy, that was partially the reason I needed the price down. Is there anywhere else I could cut down the price without significant performance drops? I want to be able to play WoW, Skyrim and CoD on the type of computer I'm looking for.

EDIT:
** Build 2: Best build for good gaming without spending big $

CPU: Pentium G630 or i3-2120
Motherboard: ASRock H61M/U3S3
RAM: Any 2 x 2GB RAM (or 2 x 4GB RAM) while keeping my notes (DDR3-1333, 1.5v)
Graphics: Radeon 6870 or GeForce 560
Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W
SSD: Optional
Hard Drive: Cheap 500GB
DVD Drive: Cheap DVD burner
Case: Either HEC case listed above, or HAF 912 case

Estimated cost: ~$557 ~ $655
+SSD cost if you choose to add an SSD.
Estimated FPS in WoW: ~40+

This build looks solid for my budget (ok maybe just the budget part, I'm an absolute noob when it comes to hardware). For the DVD drive, I could just scrounge that up from this hunk of garbage, right? Just to give you an idea, here are some of my current specs. Prepare to laugh.

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+
1982mb of RAM
nVidia GeForce 6100 nForce 405
149gig hard drive.
I don't know about the motherboard/power supply.
Edited by Imthirsty on 5/14/2012 12:11 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Paladin
DVD drive can be re-used if it's standard form factor, and that it uses SATA interface.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, besides that, get whichever you can get for $400 I guess. All others that cost more aren't known to use high-quality stuff used in ASUS
85 Goblin Shaman
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19261345

$270 saved, and that build will be fine, right?
Edited by Imthirsty on 5/14/2012 4:15 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The catch is, it gets destroyed by the equivalent priced version of Intel CPUs in CPU-bound tasks/gaming. That's why they are so cheap.

Which is also why I start out right away in my guide to not buy any AMD CPU+motherboard setup.

The AMD CPU will not work with the Intel motherboard.

If you aren't going to overclock, get i5-2300 (at most), or i3-2120, then get ASRock H61M/U3S3 motherboard instead of the Extreme3.
Edited by Kalganized on 5/14/2012 4:09 PM PDT
85 Goblin Shaman
If you aren't going to overclock, get i5-2300 (at most), or i3-2120, then get ASRock H61M/U3S3 motherboard instead of the Extreme3

You never really went over this in the guide. What exactly does the motherboard do? What are the performance differences between your recommendation and what's on the list already?
90 Human Paladin
I had a question about purchasing graphics cards; when I type in "GeForce GTX 560" (the range of graphics card I'm looking at), up comes a list of two dozen cards varying from $130 to $270.

What's the difference?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
* Imthirsty:

The motherboard is where everything connects to. While most other parts are compatible with any motherboard, CPU must be matched up with a correct motherboard. For example, LGA 1155 CPUs should only go with LGA 1155 motherboards, likewise, AM3+ CPUs should go onto AM3+ motherboards.

The Extreme3 allows SLi/CrossFireX, as well as overclocking the unlocked Intel CPUs (ones with -k suffix). Since you won't overclock, there is no need to buy them, so you are going with my suggestions instead.

Performance difference is virtually nil.

* Siliconated:

Yes, unless you are looking into extreme OC beyond 4.5 GHz.

* Arianord:

GTX 560 has a lot of variants within the families.

560 SE (cheapest, don't buy)
560 (standard, this is the one I recommend)
560 Ti (more costly, performs a bit better)
560 Ti 446 Core Edition (most expensive, performs closer to GTX 570 than GTX 560)
90 Human Paladin
So essentially any GTX 560 that DOESN'T say Ti or SE will function more or less the same? Are there any other determining features?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The GTX 560 with NO suffix whatsoever is the one I recommend, and they will all function more or less the same. Some companies may put on a higher-quality fans, or add additional features that help with overclocking, but they aren't really worth it.

Some may also provide 2GB of VRAM instead of 1GB. Also not worth it on a 560.
Edited by Kalganized on 5/14/2012 7:29 PM PDT
85 Troll Druid
Hi Kal, I am Yair We talked before.

CPU: i5-3570k
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+, or EVO, or above if wanted
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 or above if wanted
RAM: Any 2 x 4GB RAM while keeping my notes (DDR3-1600, 1.5v)
Graphics: Radeon 7950 or above if wanted
Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W or above if wanted
SSD: 120GB Intel 520 or above if wanted
Hard Drive: 500GB, 1TB or above if wanted
DVD Drive: Cheap DVD Burner
Case: HAF 912 or above if wanted

I am finally building this since my exams are over. I have no budget but cheaper is better. I want to play the Batman games and all MMO's on ultra (Also LOL). Is there anything I can do since I want the best possible without something that wont do anything (ie 256 gb ssd instead of 128gb since I only need 128 gb for games)? I was going to call my computer store tomorrow. Although I would buy off of newegg if they are much more expensive.
Edited by Landau on 5/14/2012 9:59 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Cheaper the better?

CPU: i5-2300

Mobo: ASRock H61M/U3S3

RAM: 2x 4GB, DDR3-1333, 1.5v

Graphics: GeForce GTX 670

Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W, or any other 80 Plus Bronze certified 500W power supply

SSD: 120GB Intel 520

Hard Drive: 7200 RPM 500GB, or 1TB, or whatever size you prefer

DVD Drive: $19 DVD burner

Case: HAF 912

+ OS if you need a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
+ If you need monitor, keyboard, mouse, or speakers

If you are going to overclock, replace the i5-2300 + H61 motherboard with i5-3570k + ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX motherboard, then add CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ / EVO CPU cooler.
85 Troll Druid
I plan to overclock so

CPU: i5-3570k

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX motherboard

RAM: 2x 4GB, DDR3-1333, 1.5v

Graphics: GeForce GTX 670

Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W, or any other 80 Plus Bronze certified 500W power supply

SSD: 120GB Intel 520

Hard Drive: 7200 RPM 500GB, or 1TB, or whatever size you prefer

DVD Drive: $19 DVD burner

Case: HAF 912. Is this right sorry this is my first time but my father knows how to build computers. Is it hard to attach the cpu to the motherboard?
Edited by Landau on 5/14/2012 10:05 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]