Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Guide: MK II

85 Orc Warrior
Also, does an IPS monitor still hold its advantages for a strictly gaming/web browsing rig? I'm not looking to do any kind of editing or even movie watching on this PC. Viewing angles won't be an issue, I am looking solely for the best gaming monitor I can get in the mid $100 range.

And thank you for the RAM advice, I almost didn't ask but it's good I did.
Edited by Supercrush on 5/22/2012 6:26 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
As long as it does not suffer from ghosting, IPS is superior over TN in every conceivable way.
85 Orc Warrior
That's all I needed to hear. I haven't read anything about the ASUS monitor having any ghosting issues so I think I will go with that. Thanks again Kalganized.
85 Orc Shaman
This Guide was extremely helpful, and I picked out a build of my own.
I was wanting some feedback on it and had a couple of questions

First off build:

CPU
Intel i5-3450

Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX Motherboard

Ram sticks
Cosair Vengeance 2x4GB 240 Pin

Graphics Card
GeForce GTX 670

Hard Drive
Western Digital RE4 500GB 7200 RPM

Case
Case Coolmaster HAF 912

OS
Windows 7 64-bit

first question: Is all this stuff compatible with eachother? I am afraid to try and figure this out myself as I am sure I will miss something or screw it up

2nd question: I am not planning to overclock, do I need a cooling system?

3rd Question: Do you have a recommended power supply model for this set-up?

I know this is alot to ask, but I would really appreciate some feed back
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I answered this in D3 forums, and my comments still stand. :o
85 Orc Shaman
Haha sorry, wasn't sure which would be better to post on so i just posted on both =)
Ty though
90 Draenei Paladin
Just finished building my computer with the aid of an experienced friend today and it's been a huge success so far!

Kalganized, thanks so much for your guide. It was immensely helpful in helping me do what I felt was out of reach for me for a while.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm glad my guide was helpful to you. Enjoy your new system. ;)

Edit: In the interest of science, I added what can be the absolute, cheapest build available. I can actually choose to go even cheaper, but the build is already at its maximum before going off into deep-end of unplayable settings. I mean, the build is already below $400 -- and that's BEFORE rebates.
Edited by Kalganized on 5/23/2012 12:49 AM PDT
80 Orc Death Knight
kalg im having massive troubles with my wiring eveyrthing is plugged in right i just cant plug in the power sw reset or h.d.d wires ive read the manaual and am clueless still this is the motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157236&Tpk=asrock%20h61m%2fu3s3
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The manual explains those case switches go to.

Refer to manual page 26~27

It notes polarity + and -
On the end of the wiring itself (the plug) one of the side will have a down arrow (V) marked on it. That side is the + side
Edited by Kalganized on 5/23/2012 1:53 PM PDT
80 Orc Death Knight
http://download.asrock.com/manual/H61MU3S3.pdf think thats the manual read both pages still dosnt explain were i plug in my reset sw H.D.D LED and power LEDS at.::(
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The connectors can be found at bottom right part of your motherboard
Look for the marking system panel header, (PANEL1, in white color)

See Page 12 for illustration on where that is
80 Orc Death Knight
i see that but dose it matter were i plug them in there? its number 20 there like any order ? it dosnt specify :|
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, it does. It matters, also the polarity.

Now that you know where it is, read the bottom of the page 26 ~ following descriptions in page 27. It describes what acronyms are. It also indicates + and - side. You should plug in the power plug, led plug etc; in accordance to that + and - side. As mentioned, look at the end of the plug that'll go into the motherboard -- on the side, the + will be marked with a V arrow or some other indicator that it is the + side.
80 Orc Death Knight
PWRBTN (Power Switch):

RESET (Reset Switch):

PLED (System Power LED):

HDLED (Hard Drive Activity LED):
in that order it keeps saying fans and stuff but not telling me how to plug this in sorry but i dont see it on 26 or 27
80 Orc Death Knight
finaly figured it out i think
85 Orc Death Knight
For this site you linked in the laptop section (http://www.xoticpc.com/force-1761-msi-1761-p-3152.html?wconfigure=yes), I was wondering how exactly do the laptops come to you. Is it already put together, or do I have to do it myself? I've never built or bought a computer besides the generic Toshiba I got for school a few years ago, so I don't really know how these sites work.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ynohelp: If you still need help, let me know.

Borekk: It is already put together. They ship it to you in a complete format. All you have to do is to install Windows
85 Orc Death Knight
05/23/2012 03:18 PMPosted by Kalganized
Borekk: It is already put together. They ship it to you in a complete format. All you have to do is to install Windows

Okay thanks. Dang you're fast. I like you.
85 Orc Warrior
Finally got my final build I do believe, can you let me know if it all looks good?

CPU: i5-2500k @ $275 (combo with mobo)
Mobo: ASRock H61M/U3S3
RAM: G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 @ $40
Video Card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti @ $230
Power Supply: Silencer MK III 500W @ $80
Case: Antec 900 @ $100
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB @ $75
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB @ $125
Monitor: ASUS VS229H-P 21.5" IPS LED @ $164
Hyper 212 Plus @ $30
Total: Around $1,250

I want this computer to be able to play WoW and D3 at ultra, and any other non FPS games (like Skyrim, Assassin's Creed 2, etc) at ultra/high as well. I know that Witcher 2 is intense but I'm not worried about playing that on lower settings. I am wondering if it would be a good idea for me to drop to the GTX 560 or stay with the 560 Ti. Is there going to be any noticeable difference between the two playing WoW/Diablo/Skryim or other games that aren't too demanding? And how much more future-proof will the 560 Ti be? I want this build to last me a long time without needing to put more parts in, but it wouldn't be a huge deal for me to buy a new video card down the road at some point if the 560 Ti isn't worth the extra money.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]