Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Guide: MK II

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think if you are going for an HD 6950, you will be better served by a used one that has shaders unlocked with a cheaper price.

IE)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=radeon+hd+6950+2gb&_sacat=0&_odkw=radeon+hd+6950&LH_Auction=1&_osacat=0
85 Orc Warrior
What does it mean to have shaders unlocked? Could I get one of them off of Newegg instead?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Early batches (reference and some custom) of HD 6950 were really HD 6970 with shaders disabled.

Mine is one of them.

By unlocking the shaders, then overclocking the GPU and VRAM, your HD 6950 will become identical to HD 6970.

Because only early batches and few custom cards can do this, getting one off of NewEgg does not have a good chance of unlocking, if at all.
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I just finished a build tha cost me quite a bundle. Here are the spec's:

Case: NZXT Crafted Series ATX Steel Full Tower "Phantom Red"
PS: Cooler Master Silent-Pro M1000 Series Modular 1000W - 80+ Bronze
MB: Asus LGA 1366 "Republic of Gamers" Rampage III Extreme - Intel X58 - ATX
Processor: Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2 GHz LGA 1366 Quad Core @ 4.5 GHz
Memory: Corsair Dominator GT 12GB (3 x 4GB) Kit - 2000Mhz DDR-3 Triple Channel
SDRam (PC3-16000) Matched for Core i7
HDD: (2) OCZ Technology 60GB Vertex II Series SATA II SSD - RAID 0 (OS)
(1) Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 7200rpm SATA 6GB/s 64MB cache (Data)
(1) Seagate Free Agent Go Flex Desk 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD (Back-Up)
Graphics: (2) EVGA SC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB GDDR-5 256-bit PCI-e 2.0 x 16 (SLI)
(1) EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768Mb GDDR5 PCI-e 2.0 (PhysX)
Optical Drive: Lite-On Lightscribe 24X SATA DVD +/- RW Dual Layer Drive
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry LX High Performance Fan Controller and Temp.
Cooling: Danger Den Liquid Cooling;
Processor - MC-TDX for Intel i7 Brass Top, Acrylic Plate 1/2" Fat Boy Fittings
Chipset - RE3 Full Coverage Block - Rampage III Extreme 1/2" Fat Boy Fittings
Black Ice Pro II Radiator 1/2" Fat Boy Fittings w/ 2 Scythe Slip Stream 120mm
Kaze-Jyumi Fans 120mm x 12mm 1600 rpm
Pump - DD12V - D5 Pump by Laing - Fixed Speed - 1/2" Fat Boy
DD-Rad Reservoir 1/2" Fat Boy Fittings
Tygon 3603 Clear Tubing - 1/2" I.D.
Feser One - Red - F1 Coolant
TFC XTender 120mm Fan Shrouds w/ Red LED for bottom & rear Fans
Fans: Front - Noctua Ultra Silent 140mm - 1200, 900 & 750 rpm (NF-P14)
Bottom & Rear - Noctua 120mm (NF-P12)
Side (Door) - Cooler Master 200mm Fan 700rpm 110cfm (R4-LU5-07AR-GP)
All Cables & Wiring are Sleeved w/ Red Sleeving (NZXT)

I named this build "TranzFuzion" because when it is dark in my room, it looks like blood running through the tubing - a deep dark red color and the Acrylic fan shrouds each have 2 - Red LED Lights.
I didn't have to mod the case much because it already had all the holes cut in the case for the tubing and wiring.
I routed all the wiring to the back of the case behind the motherboard panel so it is very clean and organized inside.
One problem I had with this case is that I had a very hard time finding alternate fans to fit the case.
The mounting holes were a different spacing than most after-market fans available. Very frustrating. A design flaw if you ask me, or the designer only wanted you to use his fans, which are not that good of quality. I spent lots of money buying fans that didn't work.

In total, there are 9 fans in this case, including the 2 on the radiator. It is not quiet by any means. You can really notice the quite when I turn off the machine after gaming.

I love this build. This is the 5th gaming rig that I have built in the past 8 years and should last me for quite some time.
Oh yes, you are probably wondering how much it cost me......Roughly $3,179.94, but that also includes fans that I purchased and couldn't use.

I run 3 Monitors. 2 - 19" NEC AccuSync LCD92vx, both connected to the 1st Slot Graphics Card (EVGA GTX 560 Ti) in SLI w/ diginal cables and the Middle Monitor is a 29" Vizio 1080P HDMI TV - This is connected via an HDMI cable to the EVGA GTX 460.

In WoW I am getting 60 - 75 fps. If I have a better connection I can get 120 fps

I wanted to get the Intel Core i7 980 Extreme Edition 6 core processor, but when it came time for me to buy this processor, Intel raised the price from $818.00 to $1249.00. I missed my window to get this proc and regret not having the money when I needed it. Oh well, it still beats most systems I have seen around here. LoL

I will have some pic's later, but you will just have to imagine what it looks like for now. :-)
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You just bought an old i7 system? :X

You might not be happy to find out that in gaming sessions, i5-2500k will match or beat i7-980X in most cases.

Gaming benchmark:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/142?vs=288&i=60.61.62.50.49.48.47

If that $3200 is just for the PC, you have severely overpaid for it. I can build a PC that would thoroughly school it for almost half the price.

I think you should have done some research before going "it still beats most systems I've seen around here", because a single PC with GTX 670 with Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge will match your system, if not beat it.

Please tell me this is a system you built years ago, not right now. Please.
Edited by Kalganized on 5/29/2012 6:57 PM PDT
45 Human Warlock
05/29/2012 06:38 PMPosted by Akathunder
I wanted to get the Intel Core i7 980 Extreme Edition 6 core processor, but when it came time for me to buy this processor, Intel raised the price from $818.00 to $1249.00. I missed my window to get this proc and regret not having the money when I needed it. Oh well, it still beats most systems I have seen around here. LoL

Overkill and a rip off imo.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Breadisfunny, it is highly recommended that you keep the original boxes, and EVERYTHING that came with it. RMA / warranty folks are very very picky and will try to pick out even one tiny little mistake as a reason why they should not.

Motherboard upgrade is fairly 'hard' since you have to gut the system and build from ground-up again, as motherboard is the foundation of everything.
45 Human Warlock
omg your making kalganized cry. :(
anyways i have a question if/when i send the parts back if they fail since they have a warranty do i NEED THE ORIGINAL BOXES? and how hard is it to upgrade motherboard?

Depends on how you are sending it back. If you are sending them back for full refund then yes you need the boxes.

If you are sending them back for repairs then no. But you need serial numbers and proof of purchase date and all that good details... so yea

As for upgrading motherboards, the difficulty depends on whether you are using stock cooler/heatsink on cpu or custom cooler/heatsink.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
For repairs, not necessarily required, but it does minimize any chance of them balking at you for whatever reason if you pack the defective part in with all the original accessories and boxes. Wrappers are not that significant.

Upgrading with the stock cooler is probably the easiest as no backplates are there behind the motherboard
90 Blood Elf Paladin
No, not really. The cards that really could are the kind of cards most average users will not buy (talking about $1000+ worth of SLi/XFire setup / dual-GPU setup)
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Motherboard will "fry" only if power supply goes bad; in this case, that will not happen (barring getting struck by lightning or something). If it goes bad, it will not take other parts down with it unless it physically melts or something, which should not happen given normal PC usage.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You should retain high FPS. 9500 is an old weak (not terribly weak though) card by today's standard.
30 Draenei Paladin
Hey Kalg, i was brought to this forum post on the post that i made a few days ago and since this would be my first time building a computer ever, i was wondering if it would be anything difficult or if would need special help with. I just really dont want to mess it up ha.

Any tips would be appreciated (such as videos).
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]