Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Guide: MK II

85 Undead Death Knight
I think we know what it is then. I'll be RMAing the card ideally Monday or Tuesday, depending on when my Dad gets motivated to take it.
90 Undead Priest
Could you give me your opinion on a couple of things. This'll will be my first build, my budget's the 1.5k I got from selling some old drum equipment.

So far I'm considering the Asus Z77 Sabertooth with an i5 3750k. Is the Sabertooth overpriced or is it worth it? A friend recommend Asus for Mobo's and couldn't give me an opinion on the AsRock extreme 4.

For gpu, he also recommend the 2gb GTX 560 TI (fermi). Would getting a 570 be much better?

Thank you.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sabertooth is a nice board, but overpriced and not needed unless you NEED specific feature on the motherboard. If you just want a board with good baseline features and will function just as well, I would recommend ASRock Z77 Extreme4.

570 would be better than 560 Ti, but of course, you will pay more. However, I would only buy 570s that cost less than $300. Because, for $50 more, you could then be able to buy HD 7870, which destroys 570.
85 Undead Warrior
Build as of now if i can go cheaper anywere with barley effecting it tell me as im ording it monday

-ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

-Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120

-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

-PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W

-XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX

-Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

-AZZA Spartan CSAZ-102E Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

comes to a total of $650 after tax and mail and rebates and with this as it is what will i be playing at in wow and i could run shooterS?
Edited by Kelcici on 5/5/2012 1:49 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
WoW: Ultra (shadows high)

Yes, you can run shooter games, just not maxed out in very demanding games like Battlefield 3
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes, it will run fine.
16 Draenei Shaman
Quick question kalg, how do I know if a specific aftermarket fan will fit in a specific case? ie what measurements should I be looking at?
90 Undead Priest
Sabertooth is a nice board, but overpriced and not needed unless you NEED specific feature on the motherboard. If you just want a board with good baseline features and will function just as well, I would recommend ASRock Z77 Extreme4.

570 would be better than 560 Ti, but of course, you will pay more. However, I would only buy 570s that cost less than $300. Because, for $50 more, you could then be able to buy HD 7870, which destroys 570.
Well one of the main reasons I'm considering the 560's is because they're cheap enough that I'd be able to get a second and SLI them soon after as well. I heard the 560 (448's) are basically a cheaper 570 as well.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
* Breadnbutter:

It simply doesn't matter. Skyrim is not all that multi-threaded in the first place anyway. Yes, there is some performance increase going from i3 -> i5.

* Kelphi:

Total height of the tower fan vs. the available height on the case, but the fastest way to know is to google the fan name + case name, or check out the review.

* Merciless:

SLi is not recommended; it's much better to just buy a higher-end single card than to set up an SLi now.

Yep, the 560 448core edition is actually 570 with some things cut.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I wouldn't expect much if vanilla; once you throw in lots of script-based mods, then I would wager you will see better FPS.

Old Skyrim benchmark Toms did seem to show that difference between i3 and i5 is roughly ~8 FPS.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-benchmark,3074-9.html

In other words, improvement is improvement, but not something you are likely to notice.

Yes. Just don't force something like 8x AA / 16x AF.

Note that the benchmark was done before the 'performance patches' for the Skyrim. You should see 60 FPS with the current setup.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
No.

There's a good reason why all the major sites bench at 4x AA, and many gamers only stick to 4x AA.
10 Gnome Warrior
Wellllll, for the most part, she's up and running quite nicely. I hesitated to tinker around with the overclocking bit, but I"m a Gnome so I couldn't resist. Simple, opened the bios, set the thing to load at 4.2 and..then it id! So far, running Prime95 for about 20-25 mins my temp under load was in the mid 60s to 70, idle they are in the high 20s-30. I suppose that's good..right? Seeing as how they reached 70 on just 4.2, I don't know if I should even push for 4.5, not like I"m not satisfied with 4.2 anyway..

Also, I see a lot of people talking about voltage, at full load mine is showing at like 1.29 I think, is that good or should I be trying to get it to 1.25..or even lower? Save me Kalg, save me!

Idle:
http://tinypic.com/r/anyd68/6

Prime95 running:
http://tinypic.com/r/2yxkfpc/6

Alright so setting to 4.4, I get a Blue screen as soon as Windows loads, so..I guess I would need to do something with the voltage to prevent that. Meh, I think I'll just leave it at 4.2 for now anyway, running Intel Burn Test, so far, so good.
Edited by Turle on 5/6/2012 6:49 AM PDT
35 Human Paladin
Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000

ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W

EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

AZZA Spartan CSAZ-102E Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

How would this run for a build on a budget ? Also what could i expect from this?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
* Turle:

For 4.2, you should be able to run it at a lower voltage. Ivy Bridge CPUs require less voltage than Sandys in general. You will have to fiddle with voltage offsets for this. Although every chip is different, mine could do 4.5 GHz with 1.275v. So, I would probably assume your Ivy should do 1.23 or 1.24 with 4.2 GHz.

You can keep trying going lower until your system randomly reboots / freezes / blue screens when stress testing is run.

If you get a blue screen with 4.4, you may need to enable PLL over-voltage (not auto), and manually configure voltage.

* Bigdj:

As noted in the guide, don't buy 550 Ti. Either buy HD 7770, or spend a little more for an HD 6870 / GTX 560.

Otherwise, it looks good, and you should see great WoW performance with it.

I assume you are recycling your DVD drive, and you have OS and everything else taken care of.
90 Undead Priest
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7PE4

So that is what I'm looking at. Haven't decided on monitor, keyboard and stuff yet. I'd like some opinions though. I've been playing wow on my severely outdated sony laptop so I'm used to playing WoW at 10fps (lol) So obviously the rig I'm planning to build will probably blow my mind. And to be honest I don't really feel the need to play games on max settings, I'd be fine with high or above average, but seeing how this is my first rig, I figure I should make it last a while, while still be able to play future games smoothly.

Should I dial back anything?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, are you going to overclock your CPU?
Are you going to SLi your GTX 570?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]