Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Guide: MK II

100 Blood Elf Paladin
X79 is the Sandy Bridge-E motherboard chipset
85 Tauren Paladin
Bad
I guess it's not much different from z77 in that case? As long as my motherboard can handle a low OC of 4ghz and be reliable on the long term I'll be happy.

good night !
85 Human Paladin
In case it wasn't mentioned before... (just skimmed the first few pages)

www.notebookcheck.com

has a fairly good comparison of mobile gpu's listen in order of benchmark rankings and a brief technical summary. Good information if you're going to go the mobile route.

the list specifically is here

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.130.0.html
100 Blood Elf Paladin
In a random hardware news...

GTX 670 will arrive really soon. Although there are few leaked benchmarks, I don't trust them (for obvious reasons), but it may change the graphics card recommendations for higher-end setup.

AMD Trinity should be available REALLY soon.
Edited by Kalganized on 5/7/2012 12:54 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Paladin
It appears most of the drivers are old.

Only things you should really update should be

Intel Management Engine driver
VGA driver (the second one with Ivy Bridge text)
ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility
85 Undead Death Knight
So I have to send an e-mail to MSI again in order to get an RMA number. Their form sheet keeps saying my serial number is invalid, but I'd checked the serial number on my card and it's exactly what I'm typing in. I had to do this last time too...
100 Blood Elf Paladin
On Windows 64-bit OS, the "Program Files" folder contains 64-bit applications, while one with (x86) suffix, natch, contains 32-bit applications.

Do not futz with it.

If you experience no disconnects with any other games, it's probably just your internet / WoW.
hey kal, so i recieved all my items from newegg today and started to build my first pc following the guide newegg guide on youtube. When i tested the external build, i recieved 3 beeps instead of one. And my monitor would go immediatly into power saving mode. THe cpu, power supply and gpu fans all powered up awsell. I feel like its a memory issue but not sure. Let me know what you think. Here are my specs.

EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1463-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Intel Core i5-2300 Sandy Bridge 2.8GHz (3.1GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52300

PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

thanks man, i appreciate any help you can offer me again
Edited by Popo on 5/7/2012 10:01 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Paladin
* Defilement:

Just unzip them to any temporary place, then run the appropriate .exe files.

* Popo:

Try to take out everything then put it back up again, and double check everything that should be plugged in, are plugged in. It might have been improper install of RAM or something.
1 Human Warrior
Hello,

First, thank you very much for writing this guide. It's been of great use to me.

Second, I had a question on two things. I've replaced practically every part in various computers myself, so I have no trouble putting things together or installing them. However, I've never built my own computer from scratch and I had to make a few adjustments to this list you made (because the parts are not available at my local MicroCenter and I want to buy them there if possible).

I was wondering if this list is all still compatible using a different motherboard, namely, the ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3. I do not plan on using Crossfire X or dual/tri-SLI. My other question was about power supply: how much power would this build take, given the changed motherboard? It will also have a fairly large monitor and a speaker system hooked up to it.

I have a (hopeful) budget of $1,500 and am only at around $1,200 right now, with a $120 1000W power supply used as a placeholder. I don't think I'll need that much power, though.

Thank you very much in advance.
* Popo:

Try to take out everything then put it back up again, and double check everything that should be plugged in, are plugged in. It might have been improper install of RAM or something.[/quote]

Haha wow, im a derp. didnt have the ram all the way pushed down.

So i got everything up and running now, however i have another question that i need help with.

When i installed windows 7 it gave me the option to put it on my ssd or the hdd. I put it on the ssd, but now I cant seem to put anything else on the hdd. It shows up in the device manager as being there, but when i download things it doesnt give me the option to put anything on the hdd drive.

Thanks
Edited by Popo on 5/8/2012 10:04 AM PDT
100 Blood Elf Paladin
* Vanthh:

1. If parts are not available at your local MicroCenter, I would just recommend buying them online. Except the CPU+Motherboard combo deals, everything else on the MicroCenter tend to be more expensive than those online.

Use pcpartpicker.com to find the best deals.

P67 is supplanted by Z68, and now, Z77. P67 motherboards have been left out in the cold for the most companies; they haven't received any Ivy Bridge CPU compatibility updates, AFAIK. P67 motherboards also do not support Intel's integrated graphics.

Knowing this, you have the following choices:

If your CPU choice was i5-3570k, buy Z77 motherboard as per recommendation.

If your CPU choice was i5-2500k, and you absolutely won't regret not having ability to use integrated graphics, nor the ability to use Ivy Bridge CPUs, then you can get the P67 board.

If your CPU choice was non-OC i5-2300, get H61 motherboard as per recommendation.

2. Unless you go SLi / CrossFireX, there is no need to get beyond 600W power supply for your system, as per recommendation.

* Popo:

If the HDD is new, it simply needs to be partitioned before it can be truly used.
See: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2743728713
91 Tauren Warrior
i feel like this merits noting

"Wherever you get your computer purchase advice from, DO NOT get your advice from somone trying to sell you somthing. it simply will not end well."

thats how my grandma ended up buying me my brother and sister 1000$ Toshiba M115-S1061 laptops.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
* shrug *

It's probably on its death throes. One of the common symptom is such random, unpredictable behavior.
1 Human Warrior
Alright, I think I'll just order the Z77 off the web then.

Again, thank you very much for your help!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]