is 34 too many?

90 Troll Warlock
In the dungeon journal in beta there are 16 normal mode bosses listed between the 3 raids, 2 world raid bosses, and 16 hard-mode bosses, so theres a total of 34 progression bosses in t14. Simply, is this too many?
Edited by Nekillar on 5/5/2012 5:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
For comparison, t11 had 25 total progression bosses, t12 had 14, and t13 had 16. Many people believe that t11 had too many with 25.

I'm not complaining about having so many, i'm just curious to see what other people say they think.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
If I viewed hard-mode/heroic raid bosses as a completely different encounter, I'd consider 34 too many. Thankfully I don't, your numbers aren't really accurate here.

Ignoring BH/VoA for the moment (since you did as well, fairly sure there's a pvp "boss"), Cata had 13 bosses on release, Wrath had...hmm, Naxx+Maly+OS, 14/15? World bosses are a good idea, I view them as incredible minor concept, but a minor *positive* concept I'm glad to see returning. "Any of the world bosses up?/up recently?" does not constitute a progression boss, again I am happy world bosses are back.

Admittedly 16 is a lot for a starting tier, but not shockingly many. I do prefer 3 raid instances for a starting tier, as opposed to a single 12-14 boss raid. The real hope is the following tiers can actually have at least 10 bosses. Mostly, I reject the notion that DS is 40 bosses (8*(LFR+10N+10H+25N+25H)). DS really is 8 bosses, some of which are extremely simple fights, with copy/paste backgrounds and minimal time on boss visuals themselves.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
It sounds great to me. At the moment it never feels like there is enough compelling PvE content to do on my main, especially once your raid starts completing their objectives in one night.

Also once you are in hardmodes, those are the only bosses you care about, everything else just feels like a weekly quest.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
If you killed every boss on every difficulty every week, maybe.

That's not possible though, so we're already down to 18 from 34. And I'm assuming the world bosses will drop BoEs, so you have a good chance of getting whatever you want even if you never kill them, dropping us to 16 bosses you actually kill on a weekly basis.

Whether or not that's "too many" depends if we're talking about T11 bosses, or T13 bosses.

Since my money is on T13 bosses or easier, 16 sounds marginally excessive, but not impossible. Although I'm curious who they all are, since I thought I'd read that T14 would only have 12. I'm surprised they'd be fielding so many after the negative backlash from T11, although I guess that had more to do with difficulty rather than size. But still.
Edited by Verelyse on 5/5/2012 6:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
05/05/2012 06:00 PMPosted by Vlatos
Ignoring BH/VoA for the moment (since you did as well, fairly sure there's a pvp "boss"), Cata had 13 bosses on release, Wrath had...hmm, Naxx+Maly+OS, 14/15?

If you look at it that way, cata had 12 normal modes, and 13 hard modes, on release Many people say that those 13 hard-modes were too many, and the tier was too hard and took too long. While Wrath had a total of 17 bosses, without any real hard-modes, many people say that early wrath got boring because there were too many bosses, that were too easy.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
05/05/2012 06:12 PMPosted by Verelyse
Although I'm curious who they all are, since I thought I'd read that T14 would only have 12.

The 'Terrace of the Endless Spring' was originally believed to have 2 bosses in it, now theres 4.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
aus
05/05/2012 06:14 PMPosted by Nekillar
Many people say that those 13 hard-modes were too many, and the tier was too hard and took too long.

People will qq about anything and generally if 1% are unhappy the forums tend to look like their is a problem because guess what the 99% who are not happy don't post.

Too hard and too long, but its the first part really, if each boss is right difficulty then lots of bosses don't matter and generally people prefer more bosses to less. If your going to spend say 16 weeks on progression would you rather kill 16 bosses or 6?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
05/05/2012 05:34 PMPosted by Nekillar
In the dungeon journal in beta there are 16 normal mode bosses listed between the 3 raids, 2 world raid bosses, and 16 hard-mode bosses, so theres a total of 34 progression bosses in t14. Simply, is this too many?

There are a total of 18 bosses. Normal and Hard are seperate progression paths. Guilds that are capable of clearing everything on heroic (without massive nerfs) consider normal modes a nuisance they ahve to slog through before progression (heroic modes) start.

More bosses is always a good thing.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
I just hope that Blizzard continues to deliver an acceptable number of bosses for the following tiers. 7 and 8 bosses are not an acceptable number of bosses for an entire tier.
Reply Quote
55 Dwarf Death Knight
anyone complaining that there's too many bosses is derp.

Especially after we had our 7 and 8 boss tiers.... so awful.
Edited by Lostaroll on 5/5/2012 10:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
16s definitely a lot. It's a 6-6-4 split. Burnout was a bit of an issue in T11 with that many, and some brutal bosses, but I have a feeling we'll see the incremental nerf system kick in again to smooth things out.

I personally would rather them take one of those 3 instances put it in T15, leaving us with 10 or 12. As the above posters have alluded to, I'd rather have at least 10 bosses per tier and even things out a bit.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
A 16-boss raid tier is fine -- i just hope it is balanced well.

Also during t11 people didn't complain about the number of bosses, they complained about things like the difficulty and the order of recommended heroic mode kills.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
HC
anyone complaining that there's too many bosses is derp.

Especially after we had our 7 and 8 boss tiers.... so awful.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I think at the beginning of the tier people will find fault with it, but as it goes on people will be glad when they don't run out of things to do right away. 7 and 8 bosses per tier is simply not enough, 12-15 is a lot stronger, in my opinion.
Reply Quote
55 Dwarf Death Knight
I'd rather not finish a tier than be bored or stuck with 1 or 2 brick wall bosses being put there on purpose.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
05/05/2012 10:35 PMPosted by Digerati
16s definitely a lot. It's a 6-6-4 split. Burnout was a bit of an issue in T11 with that many, and some brutal bosses, but I have a feeling we'll see the incremental nerf system kick in again to smooth things out.

More bosses doesn't cause burnout. Bosses that brick wall you due to poor difficulty curves cause burnout. I suppose difficult bosses also cause burnout because people expect they should be able to kill everything, regardless of whether they are really up to the task or not. T12 was an example of the first scenario (Rag being the brick wall). T11 was an example of the second situation.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Most people here will never ever view this as 34 bosses. I don't. For me, I'm likely to kill them all, but the first 16 representing the normal mode bosses are so trivial to me that I don't consider it really anything of value. At the earliest we'll clear them in a single week, at the latest in 3 weeks (presuming availability of the world bosses).

So then we have the hardmode bosses. I think 16 is a good number. Now, will they give us adequate time to work on them before the nerfs start rolling in - I doubt it.
Edited by Firestyle on 5/6/2012 6:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Adding Normal and Heroic bosses together as different sets of bosses doesn't really work.
People that consider normal mode bosses progression are different from the people that consider heroic mode bosses progression; I highly doubt there's anyone that would fully consider both sets to be progression and look at it as 32 bosses.

I'd much rather have too many bosses than too few bosses anyway, having something to do for months is way better than logging on once a week for farm night for months.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
05/06/2012 06:33 AMPosted by Firestyle
Now, will they give us adequate time to work on them before the nerfs start rolling in - I doubt it.

This times 10000!

Seriously nerfs shouldnt be done on heroic modes until the next tier is out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]