Linux?

16 Draenei Shaman
Up until very recently, I had never heard of linux. It is significantly cheaper than windows, and I was wondering what the differences between the two OSs were. Is one better for gaming?
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Linux is free, That is the signifigant differance :P, But linux is also well, Linux is made by people and sometimes companies throw their hands in it too, But for the most part just ordinary garden variety people, If you compile your own linux distro and install (Most experienced linux users do that) You can take and choose what you want in it, that said Security in linux is far greater then Windows or mac, For ONE very big reason, It is the minority OS, No-one is going to target it,(Minority as in end user, For example most home computers run windows, some run mac, Very very very few run linux and are typicly run by people who won't fall to malware), Aswell as the fact that everything that is run has to be compiled and run only with your permission, However in the corporate industry linux actualy has quite a big footprint, Many servers run it, Many work stations run it, Alot of hospital computers i've seen thus far run linux, Linux also has Next to no, Or very little support from major companies like AMD and Nvidia, When it comes to drivers, While yes there are driver releases for linux made by both companies, The driver quality tends to pale in comparison to say windows and OSX, Lastly there is very little support for linux for home use if there is a problem you are very much on your own. (Unless ofcourse you find a support forum) if you want to give linux a shot i would suggest looking into Ubuntu, I have my own distro that i run wow within when i raid.

edit, more information for ya: Linux can be quite good for gaming if you can get something to run under wine, I know valve is developing a steam client and games for linux (which will turn heads from AMD and Nvidia to pull their fingers out) Linux doesn't have alot of overhead like windows and OSX, for example, Networking, When world of warcraft sends information outside of my box and to the servers it does not go through the network stack, it sends STraight out, Essentialy freeing alot of resources (Or in my pc's case very little), And reducing latency.

Linux also tends to be very efficient when it comes to Memory usage and Cpu usage, As it has alot less "Baggage"
Edited by Rayleyne on 5/5/2012 12:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
Windows is still best for gaming just for ease of use. Most games don't work on Linux out of the box. You either have to run the game in an emulator like Wine or fiddle with all sorts of things to get it working. Linux is great for office work though. Many companies are choosing Linux instead of Windows to save money for their office computers. OpenOffice is free and works great on Linux, so another cost saved there.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
05/05/2012 04:16 PMPosted by Thander
Windows is still best for gaming just for ease of use. Most games don't work on Linux out of the box. You either have to run the game in an emulator like Wine or fiddle with all sorts of things to get it working. Linux is great for office work though. Many companies are choosing Linux instead of Windows to save money for their office computers. OpenOffice is free and works great on Linux, so another cost saved there.

There is that, because linux is less, It can be run on anything, Hell your smart phone can likely run a full distro of linux if compiled correctly, (I think android is some variation of it anyway, don't quote me on that, phones aren't my thing) so for office use there is in general less problems, Because in that case less is more...
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Mage
05/05/2012 04:30 PMPosted by Rayleyne

There is that, because linux is less, It can be run on anything, Hell your smart phone can likely run a full distro of linux if compiled correctly, (I think android is some variation of it anyway, don't quote me on that, phones aren't my thing) so for office use there is in general less problems, Because in that case less is more...

Both the Android OS and Apple's iOS are based on linux. I use the term based as some parts are changed by Google and Apple. The operating system used by Macs OS X is linux based as well.

Linux is definetly not the most user friendly OS and isn't the greatest operating system to run as a desktop. Simply because the vast majority of end users just don't have the time or knowledge to be able to make it run on their desktop. I'd say the biggest stumbingly block for gaming on it is that you can get DirectX natively installed. And that will probably happen when hell freezes over.

What Linux is great for is running it as a server. It runs great on older hardware where you can run it 24/7 365 days of the year without one glitch.

While Ubuntu is a well known linux distribution based on Debian. Personaly I prefer gentoo for its ability to allow you compile programs the way you want and not the way some smoch does.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
05/05/2012 04:45 PMPosted by Keynar

Both the Android OS and Apple's iOS are based on linux. I use the term based as some parts are changed by Google and Apple. The operating system used by Macs OS X is linux based as well.

Linux is definetly not the most user friendly OS and isn't the greatest operating system to run as a desktop. Simply because the vast majority of end users just don't have the time or knowledge to be able to make it run on their desktop. I'd say the biggest stumbingly block for gaming on it is that you can get DirectX natively installed. And that will probably happen when hell freezes over.

What Linux is great for is running it as a server. It runs great on older hardware where you can run it 24/7 365 days of the year without one glitch.

While Ubuntu is a well known linux distribution based on Debian. Personaly I prefer gentoo for its ability to allow you compile programs the way you want and not the way some smoch does.

I Too use Gentoo, But as we both know, Gentoo is no-where near as user friendly to a new person as Ubuntu would be.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
DD-WRT is linux, my router is up for months at a time....

On my PC I just like to mess with stuff though.. and I found linux to be much easier to break than windows. :)
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Mage

I Too use Gentoo, But as we both know, Gentoo is no-where near as user friendly to a new person as Ubuntu would be.

Ya Gentoo is definetly not user friendly but it gives you so much more control and for that I love it. I've tried slackware, Red Hat, Centos, Debian, Ubuntu.
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Mage
05/05/2012 05:14 PMPosted by Plusfour
DD-WRT is linux, my router is up for months at a time....

On my PC I just like to mess with stuff though.. and I found linux to be much easier to break than windows. :)

I have dd-wrt on my router as well an Avila 2348-4 with a Ubiquity SR2 wireless mini pci card.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Ubuntu is fun and easy. I really like Opensuse too, but I had trouble getting it to work right my old video cards.

Liked to install cli-version of Ubuntu server and manually put the minimum of xfce on top of it.
Edited by Plusfour on 5/5/2012 5:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
Linux is fine for big name games, most are supported well with WINE (which is also free). Honestly I think it'd be great if there were more linux users who play games in linux, as the only way games are ever going to be designed with linux in mind is if there are a juicy number of potential customers who use it. With everyone using windows, games are developed for windows, and with games designed primarily for windows, people continue to use windows. There's not really a huge incentive to break the cycle unless you just like linux in general.

All that said, I'd recommend trying it at least.

In terms of performance, things should be the same. In terms of lag with servers, I've had much less lag with ubuntu [linux], probably because the servers use linux and they're just better at talking to each other. On my last comp with ubuntu-with-WINE I think I hovered around 30-70 ms. With windows 7 it's 2-3 times as much.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
05/05/2012 04:45 PMPosted by Keynar

iOS is NOT based on Linux in any way, shape, or form. It is based on Mac OSX, which is in turn based on FreeBSD. Both Linux and FreeBSD are Unix OS's, but they do not share any code or heritage. Android is directly based on Linux.

But basically, if you have to ask...Linux is based on Unix. It runs Unix applications. There is a compatibility layer (some would call it an emulator although that is technically incorrect) called WINE that will allow it in most cases to run Windows applications, but it is not perfect and often has issues.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Linux is fine for big name games, most are supported well with WINE (which is also free). Honestly I think it'd be great if there were more linux users who play games in linux, as the only way games are ever going to be designed with linux in mind is if there are a juicy number of potential customers who use it. With everyone using windows, games are developed for windows, and with games designed primarily for windows, people continue to use windows. There's not really a huge incentive to break the cycle unless you just like linux in general.

All that said, I'd recommend trying it at least.

In terms of performance, things should be the same. In terms of lag with servers, I've had much less lag with ubuntu [linux], probably because the servers use linux and they're just better at talking to each other. On my last comp with ubuntu-with-WINE I think I hovered around 30-70 ms. With windows 7 it's 2-3 times as much.

Thats due to the windows network stack, Not because the two are great at talking to eacehother, Linux doesn't have half the bS windows does for that.
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Mage

iOS is NOT based on Linux in any way, shape, or form. It is based on Mac OSX, which is in turn based on FreeBSD. Both Linux and FreeBSD are Unix OS's, but they do not share any code or heritage. Android is directly based on Linux.

I do stand correct on what iOS and Mac OSX is based on. Either way though while there are differences between Linux and FreeBSD. Both are based off of Unix. So in a way iOS is indirectly related to Linux and Android. Kind of like distant cousins.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman

I do stand correct on what iOS and Mac OSX is based on. Either way though while there are differences between Linux and FreeBSD. Both are based off of Unix. So in a way iOS is indirectly related to Linux and Android. Kind of like distant cousins.

FreeBSD descends directly from the original BSD (which is a "true" Unix). Unix is a trademark owned by the Open Group, it's basically a name you have to pay to use. Unix-like OS's adhere to a standard called POSIX. Linux is completely developed from scratch, it is not related to any of the Unix's. It can't technically be called a Unix because it is not certfiied by the Open Group. However, it does adhere to the same POSIX standards.

FreeBSD is Unix. Linux is Unix-like.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Unix_history-simple.svg

Another interesting tidbit: Microsoft once developed a Unix OS, called Xenix. It did not see much use, however, and was sold off to another company.

But anyway, my main point is...to answer the OP, if you have to ask what Linux is, it is probably not something you will have any success using on your main computer. It is a COMPLETELY different OS, and it is not compatible with Windows in any way, shape, or form. You can consider WINE an imperfect emulator that can run Windows programs, the same way you would fire up ZSNES to run Super Nintendo games on your computer.

If you want to mess around with Linux, I recommend starting off with it on a separate machine, as opposed to the one you use for day to day tasks. It is VERY VERY VERY different from Windows in almost every conceivable way. It isn't something that is going to replace Windows for the average computer user (especially one that doesn't understand what an OS is).
Edited by Mogrigg on 5/6/2012 8:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
05/05/2012 08:45 AMPosted by Kelphi
Up until very recently, I had never heard of linux. It is significantly cheaper than windows, and I was wondering what the differences between the two OSs were. Is one better for gaming?

If you want to play games you want windows, if you want to host a web page get linux.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]