healer mana mechanics

It's not the number of mechanics that is important (so long as everyone has sufficient flexibility). What is most important is what is the overall mana per time regen that the various healers have, taking into account all of their various mana regen systems (and including factors such as paladins casting several mana-free spells).

If you think one healer is struggling for mana compared to another, let us know. One mechanic we are still adjusting a lot is Rapture, because we want to make sure that the worst-case mana regen scenario for Disc still isn't all that bad.

I feel like mana regen in Cataclysm was very imbalanced for the duration of the expansion. Namely, Intellect based regen was OP in t11 and it only got worse as our gear got better.

Holy Paladins have been the biggest culprits. Holy Power providing mana-free healing, massive single target efficiency through things like beacon, and balanced the first two tiers around wearing little spirit means they saw constant increasing adjustments to their mana costs and still came out ahead of the other healers in the mana department. And of course, 4.3 Holy Radiance is egregiously overpowered, as any DS WOL ranking can attest to.

Druids are big offenders too. My Druid feels like he can spam Rejuv all day long and not care if he's hitting 40-50% overheal on that spell. Revitalize takes no brain power at all to keep up, and OOC procs a *lot* more than, say, surge of light, again, without any extra work from the Druid. They definintely get a lot from Inellect on live.

Shaman have suffered from low performance the entire expansion in PVE, and a lot of that is again due to mana mechanics. They don't have a mana cooldown (like say, Shadowfiend or Innervate) to themselves. So when they drop Mana Tide Totem, it brings them up to the other healer's baseline, while everyone else also benefits from MTT, putting them ahead of the Shaman. It is small wonder that Telluric Currents (supposedly "optional") feels like a requirement at the moment.

Disc Priests have benefited from a Rapture model that really loads on the mana, thanks to Intellect scaling. Penance is also highly efficient, as is PW:S if you don't go crazy with it. Again, small wonder they poo-poo on Spirit gear.

Holy Priests have been the "Spirit Healer" for most of the expansion. It wasn't uncommon to see Holy Priests stack twice as much spirit as the other healers, and still feel like their mana was behind (especially in 10s). I feel like a lot of the efficiency of Holy is tied into Lightwell and Divine Hymn, so if those two spells aren't able to do the heavy lifting for Holy - like say, spread fights or heavy movement - Holy suffers. Holy spends a lot more item budget on Spirit than the other healers - which would be fine, if we were compensated for that by having stronger heals than the other healers. But that isn't really the case, which is why Holy has been behind since the POH nerf back in early Cata.

Chakra also contributes to this problem (especially in 10s) because we are locked out of the most efficient versions of our spells for 30 seconds at a time, and situations that call for switching between, say, Greater Heal followed immediately by Prayer of Healing simply happen too often (again, especially in 10s). Holy, ironically, has the most spells, but the fewest useful tools in a real-world situation. In 25s, it is less of a problem because the answer to "what is the best spell" is always POH.

In the MoP beta it sounds like healers are keeping their "extra" mana regen mechanics, except for Priests;
Edited by Felade on 5/5/2012 8:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
As Kaels stated in the post GC responded to:

The other option, of course, is that you might be in the process of removing all of the 'extra' mana regen abilities and rebalancing around Meditation alone. But that doesn't seem to be happening either; Water Shield/Resurgence, JotP, and Revitalize/OOC are all very much alive, and Rapture is limping along.

Druids have 50% spirit regen, and Revitalize/OOC.
Shaman have 50% spirit regen, and Water Shield/Resurgence. but they sound like they are still short a cooldown.
Paladins have 50% spirit regen, and Judgements of the Pure.
Disc Priests have 25% spirit regen, and can get back to 50% with perfect Rapture.
Holy Priests have 50% spirit regen.

That's...not going to work for Priests very well. The devs have proven unwilling to compensate Priests for spirit stacking by giving us more throughput in our baseline spells, and stacking Spirit is never going to catch up to things like JotP or Revitalize anyway, especially in earlier content.

Both specs of Priest need 50% spirit regen baseline, and then some sort of "extra" mechanic like Rapture, or (as Kaels suggests) remove all the extra mechanics - or otherwise we're going to have another expansion where Priests (both specs this time) will be behind the other healers in the mana department.

My Holy Priest felt like I was sucking a dry stump for mana the entire expansion, while my Druid felt like he was swimming in mana. That is a problem on live, and this current build sounds like we're going to see that trend continue.
Edited by Felade on 5/5/2012 8:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Might as well jump the band-wagon and join the ranks of druid/shaman/paladin.

Holy priests has always been mana dried in cata, and looks like it's going to continue judging from the looks of MoP already.
Reply Quote
94 Blood Elf Paladin
They obviously don't know what they're doing with mana regen and apparently haven't in a long time. It is what it is.
Reply Quote

I raid as Shadow mostly, and since Shadow seems to be doing a whole lot better than Warlocks at the moment on beta, I'm sticking to that for now.

I'd go Druid in a heartbeat if I was a healer main, but Balance Druids are a spec that seems to be a perennial poor performer, and don't even get me started with Feral DPS.

It would just be nice not to have 2 healing specs I can't really use in raids - Holy, with weak mana and awkward mechanics, and Disc that doesn't really stack all that well since we already have a Disc main in our raids (who happens to be the GM too so he isn't going anywhere soon). Disc looks like its going to join Holy on the bad list anyhow with Rapture going from "extra" to "required, but you have to be perfect to be as good as the worst Holy Paladin in the game".
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
05/05/2012 01:48 PMPosted by Felade

I raid as Shadow mostly, and since Shadow seems to be doing a whole lot better than Warlocks at the moment on beta, I'm sticking to that for now.

I'd go Druid in a heartbeat if I was a healer main, but Balance Druids are a spec that seems to be a perennial poor performer, and don't even get me started with Feral DPS.

It would just be nice not to have 2 healing specs I can't really use in raids - Holy, with weak mana and awkward mechanics, and Disc that doesn't really stack all that well since we already have a Disc main in our raids (who happens to be the GM too so he isn't going anywhere soon). Disc looks like its going to join Holy on the bad list anyhow with Rapture going from "extra" to "required, but you have to be perfect to be as good as the worst Holy Paladin in the game".

Believe me... I would too go on my druid in a heartbeat as a healer main, everything is just so fluid, mana regen, tree of life is awesome, the AoE healing is just great.

However I do not feel like leveling enchanting all the way to 525 nor do I feel like wasting a crap tons of gold on the AH for getting certain enchants.

The main reason why I still play my priest is simply because I have tailoring/enchanting maxed.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
For shaman... TC isn't mandatory. Right now I am trying it out (again) but I often end up taking it off. If anything, it gives me something to do in downtime. MTT works as intended. You don't drop it when you're already low, you drop it to keep yourself where you need to be for good performance. You also don't spam healing rain. Lots of people do that and go OOM alllllllllll of the time.

Eh, I work with the mana I have. But that's me.
Reply Quote
For shaman... TC isn't mandatory. Right now I am trying it out (again) but I often end up taking it off. If anything, it gives me something to do in downtime. MTT works as intended. You don't drop it when you're already low, you drop it to keep yourself where you need to be for good performance. You also don't spam healing rain. Lots of people do that and go OOM alllllllllll of the time.

Most of what we're talking about here applies to heroic raiding, not LFR. As difficulty ramps up, the strains on your mana become more apparent and the problems with TC (it takes too many GCDs and time, yet Shaman mana is so weak that TC is essentially required, meaning they are spending many fewer GCDs casting heals that are equal in strength to the other healers, which leads to lower healing) become clear.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I slap down a MTT and I don't see my mana move at all in heroic raid scenarios. It's great for getting just enough back before the mana void is brought in to keep people from dying, but it's far from being able to get back any reasonable about of mana. You could pull it from the game and, IMO, we wouldn't see much difference.

I have noticed, that I end up using Spiritwalker's Grace with 4 set usually to regen mana back with TC whenever I need mana, and less for actually in healing emergencies.

Pally mana management is sick atm. Considering two of their heals don't even use mana, and two of them are extremely efficient heals, I barely see my mana drop on my pally, and he's not even 85 and geared yet.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Even in normal modes, I don't feel my mana bar move at all with mana tide, probably because I continue to pump out healing when it's dropped. You do drop mana tide, not reactively, but proactively, to stay ahead of the curve. If you aren't dropping mana tide early and continuing to drop it on CD, you're doing it wrong.

TC is pretty much a necessary talent for any kind of progression raiding -- it works best when you have a groove to incorporate it into the fight, but it's also great for emergency mana. You do reach a point where you have to decide to use a LB instead of a heal because you need the mana more, which is a real stickler in heroic modes. A shaman who excels at mana management starts managing their mana early, before it becomes a problem, and even then, it still becomes a problem (usually).

I feel like I have the best mana management on my shaman, but that's probably because I'm the most used to it. She's been my main since the mid of BC. Disc/holy priest is so-so; disc is pretty easy to stay at good mana, holy is a little bit more of a challenge. My holy pally is in LFR right now and I find paladin mana management to be a struggle...protips? :p
Reply Quote
What? LFR is super tough on healers.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman

TC has been mandatory this entire tier. Our mana regen is a joke without it. As for mana tide, I can remember back in t11 when the only healer that needed the mana tide was the shaman. This isn't 100% true now but the return doesn't justify bringing the shaman if throughput/CD utility isn't there. For TC, I think it's a poor design if not everyone has a similar mechanic. At best you give up healing time to stay on par with the other healers. At worst you cant spare the time to use it but are forced to anyways. Sometimes you get ahead with damage modifiers on bosses, but its still gimmicky. When the encounter is so tightly tuned this type of mechanic becomes a painful burden. Pre-nerf Rag progression was a nice slap to the face for shaman trying to heal that fight. Most guilds could not get away with 4 healers. There you are trying to 3 heal an incredibly tight encounter with the lowest mana regen in the game. To close the gap you need to stop healing to get a mana return. In this case you drop the number of effective healers to 2 in a 25 man raid. This made healing even that much more stressful. The slap comes from other mechanics that allow the healer to get a return and continue with throughput. The restoration shaman drops almost 100% throughput to spend at least 3-4 gcd's (if not more), getting mana. A druid pops 1 gcd to get a better return with better throughput (at least at the time). I will admit that shaman are in a better place this tier but I'd argue that the encounter design was the contributing factor. Mechanics like this are balance issues and promote class stacking, but bring the player not the class amirite.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]