The most useful GM chat ever

90 Orc Warrior
You are all so brilliant thank you for such magnificent insight.
Edited by Thrawt on 5/6/2012 8:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
61 Worgen Priest
05/06/2012 07:22 AMPosted by Thrawt
The GM i chatted with earlier gave me tips on how to scam gear from people. Basically just state MS>OS he says and you can take any gear you want and they can do nothing about it...

Master looter is free to distribute loot as they see fit. Be warned tho. To purposely scam people will get you in trouble. The GM's will investigate and you will get in trouble if you set out to purposely scam.

You might want to familiarize yourself with the rules a little better if you want to stay out of trouble.

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/ninja-looting-blizzard-s-stance
What if I disagree with the way loot is distributed? Isn't that ninja looting?
No. Such disagreements are considered looting disputes, not ninja looting. A looting dispute occurs when a player loots an item for which they are eligible, but in doing so, goes against social looting practices (Main Spec > Off Spec, upgrades only, etc). While some looting disputes may be a social faux pas and can tarnish a player's reputation, they are not a violation of any in-game rule. Scams, however, are a violation, and may occasionally accompany a looting dispute.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
nope u can just say MS>OS and the GM will interpret it as My spec >overall specs... thats how GMS look at it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I think you may be misrepresenting the conversation.

However, if other players do not insist in clear loot rules when master looter is being used, yes, you can be the lowest common denominator type of person and betray their trust.

Which is why master looter was never designed to be used for PuG's as it requires a level of trust.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
If you have constructive feedback about the current looting mechanics, you would want to post over in the Dungeons and Raids Forum. The Devs do not get feedback from the Support Forums on things like this.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
MS>OS is the most common statement in wow when it comes to loot rules. Main spec > off spec for a human GM/blizzard to ignore that interpretation in a way that benefits people who scam others is wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Main spec > off spec for a human GM/blizzard to ignore that interpretation in a way that benefits people who scam others is wrong.

But MS>OS means nothing. What is my main spec, can you tell?

Role in a group is more important than artificial declarations of "main" and "off" specs.

Also, MS>OS does not state what the winning condition is. It does not even state how to win. Do you /roll? Do you /roll 100 or /roll 235? If you /roll 100, then what is the winning number? 1 or 100 or 42?

The problem with "MS>OS" is it does not explicitly state anything that is useful. The problem is that too many players have ASSUMED what it means. Assumptions can go wrong quite fast when trust is betrayed. That is why if one wants to help avoid issues, ASSUME nothing. All the details must be stated on how items are won if Master Looter is used. Each and every run.
Edited by Maul on 5/6/2012 7:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Priest
Master Loot is not for Pugs. The sooner people stop joining a Master Looter raids and start realizing that there are better looting methods for pugs, the sooner people will stop coming to the forums with false claims of being scammed.

I have a pally who I tank and heal on....what's my MS?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
your ms is what u come into the raid as the role u are checked in as. quite obvious.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
05/06/2012 07:42 AMPosted by Thrawt
your ms is what u come into the raid as the role u are checked in as. quite obvious.

Not necessarily. I consider my paladin's main spec holy, but I also tank on her. I would only tank when the understanding was that healing was my main spec even though it wasn't the role I was performing.
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Priest

Actually, that's not my main spec. That's my off spec. I thought that was also obvious. What if I change my role mid raid? Now what's my main spec?

There are too many holes in MS>OS which is why it is completely unsupported by Blizzard.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Obvious to you and obvious to a number of other people, but not obvious to all.

If you want to ensure that a Master Looter is fair, get them to spell it out completely, not with vague acronyms and descriptions.

The only way for Blizzard to intervene is if you are explicit in the loot rules.

Think of it as signing a contract. You don't use vague language and acronyms in a contract and if you signed one with them, you would be a fool as when someone breaks that contract, you won't have any recourse because the conditions were too vague.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
your ms is what u come into the raid as the role u are checked in as.

That is a role. But as you can see, you assume "MS>OS" is talking about roles. Do I have to assume that as well? My main spec is TANK, but my role is DPS, so by MS>OS that means I can roll on TANK gear despite running as DPS? TANK is my main spec afterall...

You see where assumptions go, they lead to differing opinions on what statements means. And this is why a GM cannot determine whose assumption is right. It does not matter if 95% of the player base has one assumption because the assumption of the other 5% is not invalidated by pure numbers. Assumptions do not win by simple majority.

"MS>OS" is useless. It might was well mean "Mushroom Soup is greater than Onion Soup".

A better way, perhaps not perfect, is stating -

"Item preference is given to your current raid role. A winner for each item will be determined with a /roll of 1-100, the closest to 100 will be the winner."

If you do not see a statement like the above, insist on it or leave the raid.
Edited by Maul on 5/6/2012 7:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
69 Orc Death Knight
05/06/2012 07:33 AMPosted by Thrawt
MS>OS is the most common statement in wow when it comes to loot rules. Main spec > off spec for a human GM/blizzard to ignore that interpretation in a way that benefits people who scam others is wrong.

No, it's not. Do you know why?

For starters, when people say main spec over off spec, they don't always mean main spec over off spec, but active spec over non-active spec. If my paladin is normally a tank, but is healing right now because a good chunk of the raid left and I switched to help out, which spec am I?

Second, to insist any deviation from your version of MS>OS is a scam requires every master looter to be intimately familiar with every spec of the game. I've met people who swear blind that +Int +Stam +crit cloaks are clearly intended for paladins, not warlocks. I've also met warlock players who are unaware of the subtle differences between specs, such that +haste and +crit could be considered the difference between main or off spec. That's before getting into the fun of some items nominally being for one spec, but being best in slot post-reforging.

Third, master looter is not and has never been intended for pugs. You want to ensure fairness? Run need before greed. Someone may still get something you assume you need more than they do, but at least they won't be able to do it 100% of the time. Demanding Blizzard micromanage your raid because you trusted a complete stranger with absolute power over your loot is, frankly, divorcing yourself from all personal responsibility.

Fourth, and this is the big one in my opinion, Master Looters have responsibilities other than the letter of the law. An item drops, and the roll is won by a loudmouth who's been ignoring the raid leader's instructions and irritating everyone else, but has been a solid performer in numbers and would get a minor stat boost from it -- should the item go to the second place guy, who's just barely sc#**%!# by due to low gear, but has been helpful in raid morale and would get a massive swing in efficacy by equipping it? A player is pugged at the last minute, and the Master Looter accidentally leaves out a line of loot rules -- is he scamming the new guy if he's going by the full old rules, or scamming everyone else by not doing so?

MS>OS isn't a good rule, period. Blaming Blizzard for not supporting it is unrealistic -- it doesn't protect anyone.
Reply Quote
69 Orc Death Knight

So you consider it quite obvious that your main spec for rolling is not necessarily your main spec for play?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Just because a player might go into a raid as a certain role (i.e damage), it doesn't mean that it's their Main Spec. For all you know, their MS could be a tanker or a healer.

I agree though that Master Looter isn't for PuG's and that's where the Need/Greed system should be used.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin

First off, I don't remember "checking in" for raids. I don't see any role check pop up to officially declare my intent.

Second, you say "main spec" is the "role" you come in as. Those are two completely different scenarios, especially given that some talent trees are quite ambiguous. Feral Druid, is he a tank or DPS? Disc Priest, is he heals or DPS? Holy Paladin, is he heals or DPS?

Third, what happens if two people swap roles to be more effective? Now, are we keeping track of what that player started as?

Fourth, and above all, that's not how I define "main spec". I define it at the spec that's listed as "Primary" on Armory. Who's right? We both are (because they are both legitimate reasons), and that's why it's NOT "quite obvious".
Reply Quote
69 Orc Death Knight

Fourth, and above all, that's not how I define "main spec". I define it at the spec that's listed as "Primary" on Armory. Who's right? We both are (because they are both legitimate reasons), and that's why it's NOT "quite obvious".

For my part, my main spec on my main character is his secondary spec -- I just get more mileage out of it, and haven't bothered fixing the primary.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
05/06/2012 07:59 AMPosted by Danvers
For my part, my main spec on my main character is his secondary spec -- I just get more mileage out of it, and haven't bothered fixing the primary.

More ambiguity? Perish the thought... ;)
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
...so do you see how your GM chat was useful now?

You now know to ask for specific loot rules when joining a pug which opts to use ML.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]