Alliance Shaman Healing Icons

Is it at all possible to update the healing icons for the alliance shaman's "healing surge, healing wave, greater healing wave, etc."? They depict a green orc-ish hand and it feels really out of place. It is as if when they introduced shamans into the alliance, they did not have time to update the icons from their horde counterparts. It just feels and looks odd on my toolbar being a dwarf shaman and casting what looks to be a "monster-ish" spell.

And before people fly off the handle about how insignificant it is and "who cares" and whatever else, the new MoP expansion seems to have a certain focus on updating specific cosmetic effects. This is appropriate.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Shaman and orc from a lore standpoint belong together. Every other race that plays shaman is just for variety in the game really.
Reply Quote
In the past, shamans were exclusive to horde. Lore has continued to evolve, however, and dwarves have presumably learned these skills from studying their orc shaman enemies.

With that said, let us clarify that Dwarf shamans are not casting some "orc" spell, despite having learned these spells and skills, from orcs. They are casting a heal based off their own unique and learned control over the element of water.

If Blizzard wants to officially declare that dwarf shamans are indeed casting "orc" spells and *not* exerting their own control over water (which I very highly doubt), then I will accept it. Until then, the dwarf icons stand as something that should be updated.
Edited by Wobberz on 5/5/2012 1:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Lol, as if Shamans haven't had enough icon changes over the years...
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
In the past, shamans were exclusive to horde. Lore has continued to evolve, however, and dwarves have presumably learned these skills from studying their orc shaman enemies.

With that said, let us clarify that Dwarf shamans are not casting some "orc" spell, despite having learned these spells and skills, from orcs. They are casting a heal based off their own unique and learned control over the element of water.

If Blizzard wants to officially declare that dwarf shamans are indeed casting "orc" spells and *not* exerting their own control over water (which I very highly doubt), then I will accept it. Until then, the dwarf icons stand as something that should be updated.

Actually, dwarf shaman learn their stuff from Wildhammer Dwarves, not from observation of the horde shaman.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Of all the things to change, how does this matter? My mind is boggled just from the fact that people actually look at their action bars.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
2/10 cuz some people did bite
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
No, because you people shouldn't be shamans anyway. It's just as wrong as horde races being paladins. It makes no sense lore-wise, and you deserve nothing.

>:(
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
You could always make macros for the abilities, and just give them different pictures!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
The vast majority of spell icons featuring hands/faces depict Human or similarly light-skinned body parts. Take for example, a Tauren paladin - their Lay on Hands is not coming from the holy Light, as a human's would do, it is coming from the sun, yet the icon still pictures a human's hand. There is no implication that your dwarf shaman, is casting an "orcish" spell, nor is there an implication that the tauren paladin is casting a "human" spell, it's simply that way so that blizzard only needed to create one set of icons for each class, and not 10 4-10 per class.
Reply Quote
05/05/2012 05:38 PMPosted by Fredp
Of all the things to change, how does this matter? My mind is boggled just from the fact that people actually look at their action bars.

I did not suggest that this change should be a priority over other more important changes. I was simply pointing out that updating this is something that Blizzard should be aware of and consider.

05/06/2012 12:41 AMPosted by Spudofdeath
The vast majority of spell icons featuring hands/faces depict Human or similarly light-skinned body parts. Take for example, a Tauren paladin - their Lay on Hands is not coming from the holy Light, as a human's would do, it is coming from the sun, yet the icon still pictures a human's hand. There is no implication that your dwarf shaman, is casting an "orcish" spell, nor is there an implication that the tauren paladin is casting a "human" spell, it's simply that way so that blizzard only needed to create one set of icons for each class, and not 10 4-10 per class.

As far as I am concerned, the Lay on Hands icon should be updated for Tauren paladin as well. Blizzard opened up new classes for different races, but neglected to fully and properly adapt some of the artwork. How you can say that "there is no implication that your dwarf shaman is casting an 'orcish' spell" boggles my mind. An icon depicting a glowing orc hand does not imply that it is related to an orc? If it does not, I am not sure what ever would. I understand that these old icons exist because Blizzard never got around to updating them, but that is why I made this thread: to place my request for Blizzard to consider revisiting and updating some icon artwork for the new upcoming expansion.
Edited by Wobberz on 5/6/2012 2:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/05/2012 05:28 PMPosted by Malekhad
Actually, dwarf shaman learn their stuff from Wildhammer Dwarves, not from observation of the horde shaman.

That is interesting and not something that I was aware of. If that is indeed correct, thank you for the lore correction although now knowing that the shaman skills were learned from other dwarves and not orcs makes me want these icons updated even more.
Reply Quote
05/05/2012 08:04 PMPosted by Beanarella
2/10 cuz some people did bite

This thread is not at all trolling. I identified an issue with the consistency of icon artwork and multiple examples have been identified and explaned. If you are not going to add anything of value to the conversation, please move on.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
05/05/2012 12:24 PMPosted by Rapph
Shaman and orc from a lore standpoint belong together.
\

Tauren practiced shamanism when the orcs entered azeroth.

05/05/2012 12:24 PMPosted by Rapph
Every other race that plays shaman is just for variety in the game really.

Nope.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I always thought that icon was supposed to be a twisting vine or something. It never would have occurred to me that it might be a hand. It still doesn't look like a hand to me.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I always thought that icon was supposed to be a twisting vine or something. It never would have occurred to me that it might be a hand. It still doesn't look like a hand to me.

i agree with this poster. i mean i understand that priest icons look like a hand. shaman icons look nothing like a hand to me.
Reply Quote
IDK, I always thought the icons were troll hands. I mean trolls can be green, and they only have 3 fingers (especially ancestral spirit). And if it's really a problem, they could just make the icons into actual waves instead of troll/orc/tauren/goblin/draenei/dwarf hands.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue

Well my Orc warrior always has to look at a pissed off Dwarf whenever he changes to berserker stance so do you suggest they change berserker stance to a bunch of new graphics that are personalized for each race?

There is much more productive things to QQ about in this game.
Edited by Fiona on 5/8/2012 5:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
You know you can make a macro that says

#showtooltip
/cast Healing Surge

Or the like... and change the icon to something you prefer, right?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]